Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

ALITA BATTLE ANGEL: 4K Ultra HD / Blu-ray - July 23, 2019

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 05-21-19, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/alita-b...?skuId=6333207

https://www.target.com/p/alita-battl...d/-/A-54456333

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Alita-Bat...Copy/646456420

Last edited by gerrythedon; 05-23-19 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-21-19, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: ALITA BATTLE ANGEL: 4K Ultra HD / Blu-ray - July 23, 2019

Alita: Battle Angel Blu-ray Special Features
  • Alita’s World - get a deeper look into the world of Alita: Battle Angel with these dynamic motion comics.
    • The Fall - a look back at the terrible war that almost destroyed two planets and set the stage for the cyborg warrior Alita’s return 300 years later.
    • Iron City - Hugo gives a guided tour of the Iron City he knows, showing off its dark corners and broken-down neighborhoods.
    • What it Means to be a Cyborg - hunter-warrior Zapan tracks his mark across Iron City while musing about what it means to be a cyborg.
    • Rules of the Game - A high-octane “crash course” in Motorball, introducing the rules, game-play, and the top-ranked players and their arsenal of weapons.
  • From Manga to Screen – a behind-the-scenes look into the origins of Yukito Kishiro’s beloved manga, “Gunnm,” and the long road to bring it to life on the big screen.
  • Evolution of Alita - how Alita was brought to life, from the casting of Rosa Salazar, to performance capture, and final VFX by WETA Digital.
  • Motorball - go inside Iron City’s favorite pastime, from the origins and evolution of the sport, to rules on how the game is played.
  • James Cameron, Robert Rodriguez and cast Q&A moderated by Jon Landau.
  • Robert Rodriguez’s 10 Minute Cooking School: Chocolate - a cooking lesson on how to make delicious chocolate like that seen in the movie.
  • 2005 Art Compilation (2019) - James Cameron’s original compilation of concept art for the then-titled “Battle Angel: Alita,” presented with new voiceover and music.
  • Scene Deconstruction - view three different stages of the production - the original live action performance capture, the animation stage, and the final Weta VFX from four different scenes
    • I Don’t Even Know My Own Name
    • Just an Insignificant Girl
    • I’m a Warrior Aren’t I?
    • Kansas Bar

Alita: Battle Angel Digital Special Features
  • Alita’s World - get a deeper look into the world of Alita: Battle Angel with these dynamic motion comics.
    • The Fall - a look back at the terrible war that almost destroyed two planets and set the stage for the cyborg warrior Alita’s return 300 years later.
    • Iron City - Hugo gives a guided tour of the Iron City he knows, showing off its dark corners and broken-down neighborhoods.
    • What it Means to be a Cyborg - hunter-warrior Zapan tracks his mark across Iron City while musing about what it means to be a cyborg.
    • Rules of the Game - A high-octane “crash course” in Motorball, introducing the rules, game-play, and the top-ranked players and their arsenal of weapons.
  • From Manga to Screen – a behind-the-scenes look into the origins of Yukito Kishiro’s beloved manga, “Gunnm,” and the long road to bring it to life on the big screen.
  • Evolution of Alita - how Alita was brought to life, from the casting of Rosa Salazar, to performance capture, and final VFX by WETA Digital.
  • Motorball - go inside Iron City’s favorite pastime, from the origins and evolution of the sport, to rules on how the game is played.
  • Musical Themes - Composer Tom Holkenborg (aka Junkie XL) offers an in-depth examination of the key musical themes of his Alita: Battle Angel score.
  • Robert Rodriguez’s 10 Minute Cooking School: Chocolate - a cooking lesson on how to make delicious chocolate like that seen in the movie.
  • Streets of Iron City - Director Robert Rodriguez gives a set tour of Iron City, with cast and crew insights, and a behind-the-scenes look at the city’s creation.
    • Iron City
    • Scrapyard
    • Ido’s Clinic
    • Cathedral
    • Ambush Alley
    • Vector’s Office and the Factory
    • Kansas Bar
  • Allies and Adversaries - meet the allies and adversaries that Alita encounters in Iron City.
    • Zapan
    • Dr. Dyson Ido
    • Grewishka
    • Nyssiana
    • Romo
    • McTeague
    • Vector
    • Chiren
    • Hugo
  • James Cameron, Robert Rodriguez and cast Q&A, moderated by producer Jon Landau.
  • Production Materials - explore the initial vision for the movie with art reels from 2005 and 2016.
    • 2005 Art Compilation (2019) - James Cameron’s original compilation of concept art for the then-titled “Battle Angel: Alita,” presented with new voiceover and music.
    • 2016 Art Reel - Lightstorm Entertainment and Robert Rodriguez’s 2016 compilation of concept art reflecting the design of the final film.
  • Scene Deconstruction - view three different stages of the production - the original live action performance capture, the animation stage, and the final Weta VFX cut from four different scenes
    • I Don’t Even Know My Own Name
    • Just an Insignificant Girl
    • I’m a Warrior Aren’t I?
    • Kansas Bar
  • Theatrical Trailers
    • Alita - Official Trailer
    • Alita - Battle Ready Trailer

https://comicbook.com/anime/2019/05/...tails-blu-ray/
Old 05-21-19, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hopefully it'll be a "chocolate mexicano" variation.
Old 05-21-19, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Liked the movie. Pre-ordered the Steelbook.
Old 05-22-19, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Steelbook 4K plus 3D plus regular blu plus digital? Sure why not.
Old 05-22-19, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Steelbook 4K plus 3D plus regular blu plus digital? Sure why not.
I could do without the Steelbook, but the 3D/4k combo will be hard to pass up even though it would be a blind buy.
Old 05-23-19, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

FYI, this extra from above is likely the 25 minute cast and crew Q&A that was shown during the advance preview screenings, which I saw
  • James Cameron, Robert Rodriguez and cast Q&A, moderated by producer Jon Landau.
I enjoyed Alita and I'll likely get the 4K UHD. Not sure right away though.
Old 05-23-19, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Alita-Bat...Copy/646456420
Old 05-24-19, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

^ That's the same figure I got at the opening night event, I think.
Old 05-29-19, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is the standard package confirmed to be 4k,/3d/bd/digital?
a 4k/3d absolutely does not appeal to me. I know a few of your are into it but is 3d even a thing anymore?

Last edited by tonyc3742; 05-29-19 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-29-19, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes and yes
Old 05-29-19, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The price is basically the standard Best Buy 4k steelbook price, so it's not like they're charging a premium for the 3d (which is kind of surprising and why I'm still suspicious despite it being clearly labeled on the package).
Old 05-29-19, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

This movie was shot in true 2-camera 3D, it would be a crime to not at least include the 3D Blu-ray. I have no use for any 2D version but will still take and watch it if itís included.

3D has been ďa thingĒ since 1953, its frequency of use just varies.
Old 05-29-19, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
This movie was shot in true 2-camera 3D, it would be a crime to not at least include the 3D Blu-ray. I have no use for any 2D version but will still take and watch it if itís included.

3D has been ďa thingĒ since 1953, its frequency of use just varies.
But I don't think they make 3d tvs anymore, right?
Old 05-29-19, 12:27 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 View Post
Yes and yes
yes to this yes and yes.
Old 05-29-19, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
But I don't think they make 3d tvs anymore, right?
TVs in the US no, but I'm probably one of the few that think 3D TVs were a mistake in the first place. But you still find 3D on just about every major projector, which is where I think it really shines.
Old 05-29-19, 07:02 PM

i love my 3D and wouldn't trade for anything right now. i understand niche now and few and far between decent releases (and now Disney with Marvel and most animated need UK import, but why do new Star Wars come out here?), but i love em. But, it is a dying breed unfortunately. just don't know why they can't add that functionality to current 4K's. is it that much more expensive to add option?
Old 05-29-19, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oddly, the 4k/3d/bd/digital is five bucks less than the BD/DVD/digital on Amazon.
The one time I tried a 3dtv it was cool, but I never got one because I wasn't looking for a new TV at the time they were more widespread, and I didn't see a lot of content available or upcoming. Plus I wear glasses and didn't look forward to wearing 3d glasses for a whole movie.
It's possible my BD player is 3d but I use my Xbox One as my main player.
Yeah, and I meant a "thing' in terms of consumer electronics, TV/player availability, content availability, etc.
Old 05-31-19, 03:48 PM

I wear regular glasses and watch tons of 3D with no problems having the glasses over them- the ones from LG, I donít even feel them. Itís ridiculous that they dropped 3D just because a billion people didnít want it right away, surround sound would be gone now too if they had the same attitude about that. Hopefully this release will at least spark a bit more interest in 3D. (Why were non-projection 3D TVs a ďmistakeĒ? Not everyone has room to set up a projector, 3D on the first generations of TVs had its issues but LG got it nearly perfect before dumping it.)
Old 05-31-19, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wear regular glasses and watch tons of 3D with no problems having the glasses over them- the ones from LG, I donít even feel them. Itís ridiculous that they dropped 3D just because a billion people didnít want it right away, surround sound would be gone now too if they had the same attitude about that. Hopefully this release will at least spark a bit more interest in 3D. (Why were non-projection 3D TVs a ďmistakeĒ? Not everyone has room to set up a projector, 3D on the first generations of TVs had its issues but LG got it nearly perfect before dumping it.)
I assumed that they abandoned 3d because 4k was becoming "the feature" to have. I have no idea what the feasibility is of having both on a set, is it that much more expensive? Also do they even have digitally streamed 3d movies?
Old 05-31-19, 09:08 PM

I too wear glasses and never bothered me when wearing the 3D glasses over. In theater either which are pretty crappy glasses. I have Sony active something or other glasses and never really notice...
Old 06-01-19, 02:56 AM

My TV displays both 4K and 3D, though obviously it canít do both at the same time but Iíll be able to take advantage of all this set has to offer. It was a mistake to launch the 4k format without 3D support, but a great side benefit is that 4K screens can show passive (regular theater glasses, no batteries or hassles) 3D without the obvious loss in resolution that the first generation passive sets had. I chose active 3D on my first display for that reason, but passive now works so much better- I bought my LG right when I heard they were dropping 3D from their forthcoming sets.

Added- you can get polarized 3D lenses that simply clip onto regular glasses, but Iíve never had the need for them. Itís easier to put on and remove the glasses I have when watching a disc that includes both 3D and 2D content.
Old 06-02-19, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Sony 940c display does both formats excellently.
Old 07-16-19, 09:27 PM

If anyone wants my 4K disc only from the SteelBook set, pm me. Weíll chat...
Old 07-17-19, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm glued to the ads for discounts on this title between now and the release date.
In spite of it being a blind buy, I just can't resist the 4K UHD/3D combined release (if only other releases did this ).

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.