Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

ALITA BATTLE ANGEL: 4K Ultra HD / Blu-ray - July 23, 2019

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

ALITA BATTLE ANGEL: 4K Ultra HD / Blu-ray - July 23, 2019

Old 07-26-19, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: ALITA BATTLE ANGEL: 4K Ultra HD / Blu-ray - July 23, 2019

I got everything I was looking for from it. The source material isn't blisteringly original, but it was an enjoyable hodge podge of it's elements- as was the film IMO.
I think it was unfairly slagged before it opened, and the BO suffered because of it. I'm not a fan of Rodriguez , but like Synder with Watchmen, I thought he did an admirable job translating the material to another medium- inclusive of that is a 100% note perfect mo-cap performance by Salazar. What that actress did is extraordinary and destined to be vastly under-appreciated. Like Reeve in Superman, the movie would completely collapse in on itself if she weren't believable and affecting in the role.

I was hoping it would prove to be a dark horse in first run, but Captain Marvel (a film I liked, but not nearly as much as this), and the drum beat to Endgame, effectively sucked all the oxygen out of the room leaving this to gasp for air.

I'm confident it will find it's audience on video...eventually. Unfortunately that may not be soon enough for a sequel. FWIW, I would be more than happy with a more budget conscious plot, rather than action, -centric follow up. They packed enough action in this for two movies anyway.
That said, I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at a prequel focusing on that military assault on the moon. The flashback glimpses of that in this movie were tantalizing.
Old 07-27-19, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
There's, like, a manga for that.
Too old for manga.

Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post
. FWIW, I would be more than happy with a more budget conscious plot, rather than action, -centric follow up. They packed enough action in this for two movies anyway.
That said, I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at a prequel focusing on that military assault on the moon. The flashback glimpses of that in this movie were tantalizing.
Agreed.
Old 07-27-19, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't know this was out already; ordered the steelbook yesterday. $20 using points at BB. I'm surprised it's in 3D. When was the last time anything was released in 3D in the U.S.?
Old 07-27-19, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mrhan View Post
I didn't know this was out already; ordered the steelbook yesterday. $20 using points at BB. I'm surprised it's in 3D. When was the last time anything was released in 3D in the U.S.?
It's been a couple of weeks now.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shazam-3D...BoCckIQAvD_BwE
Old 07-27-19, 05:36 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Aquaman before that. All the DC live action for that matter. Some earlier Marvel. Some animated. Some oldies. Lot actually...
Old 07-27-19, 05:38 PM

Gonna get to Alita 3D probably next week. Hope it’s as a visually treat as Shazam!. Also, got to get to Aquaman 3D. Heard that’s pretty good. It’s like role reversal for me. DC makes mostly shitty movies, but their conversions look really good to me. Even Justice League which sucked balls and was completely forgettable and lifeless, per Snyder’s resume. As opposed to great Marvel movies, but mostly not great conversions imo. Save a few stellar...

Last edited by OldBoy; 07-27-19 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-28-19, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
Gonna get to Alita 3D probably next week. Hope itís as a visually treat as Shazam!. Also, got to get to Aquaman 3D. Heard thatís pretty good. Itís like role reversal for me. DC makes mostly shitty movies, but their conversions look really good to me. Even Justice League which sucked balls and was completely forgettable and lifeless, per Snyderís resume. As opposed to great Marvel movies, but mostly not great conversions imo. Save a few stellar...
I never looked into the Snyder DC movies BD specs so I had no clue they were available in 3D. No interest in any of them at all.
Old 07-28-19, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

To get the 4K digital copy from the 4kBD/3d disc release, where should I activate the code? Follow the instructions on the flyer in the case?
Watched it last night. Still great. A couple things could have used more explanation and I definitely want a sequel but I really liked it. My wife liked it too.
Old 07-28-19, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tonyc3742 View Post
To get the 4K digital copy from the 4kBD/3d disc release, where should I activate the code? Follow the instructions on the flyer in the case?
You can actually redeem it at VUDU, FN or Moview Anywhere and get it in 4K. Bookmark this web address as it's an invaluable tool to see where to appropriately redeem any 4K code

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Htmh4/htmlview
Old 07-28-19, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Great, thanks!
I bookmarked that site, I hadn't encountered it before.
And sure enough the previous 4k codes I redeemed on Vudu first and didn't get 4K, are marked as such on the spreadsheet. (I was able to beg replacement 4k codes from the manufacturer by playing stupid, which was not that difficult.)
Old 08-03-19, 06:01 PM

The 3D is great with this one. Haven’t seen review yet, but great depth imo...