DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   E.T. Blu-Ray (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/647603-e-t-blu-ray.html)

MooMooMooMoo 05-09-19 02:22 AM

E.T. Blu-Ray

I may be the only American of my age who's never seen this before. I recently picked it up at some blow out sale (Big Lots)?

I'm at 44 minutes into it, & imo it's dreadful. Really bad. Does it get better? It's got such a good reputation I thought this would be a no brainer.

E Unit 05-09-19 10:04 AM

Re: E.T. Blu-Ray

Different folks, different strokes bro.

story 05-09-19 12:03 PM

I can't imagine coming to E.T. as an adult instead of as a child, much less almost 40 years after it came out. You might find someone who saw it as an adult but even then you'll miss the cultural zeitgeist piece of it. Good luck to you, hope you keep going.

It's still a favorite for me and my kids.

Josh Z 05-09-19 12:08 PM

You've just discovered cinema's dirty little secret: Movies that are incredibly popular are not always actually any good. :)

Decker 05-09-19 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z (Post 13547766)
You've just discovered cinema's dirty little secret: Movies that are incredibly popular are not always actually any good. :)

While that may be true as a generality, E.T. is in fact, very good. Well made, well acted. It just is a more innocent film from a less cynical time. Doesn't change the fact it's a great movie, if not everyone's taste.

Josh Z 05-09-19 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13547827)
It just is a more innocent film from a less cynical time.

Funny thing to say about a movie whose title character is a monster with wrinkly scrotum for a face.

Nick Danger 05-09-19 05:13 PM

You aren't wrong. It's dreadful. It's beloved by people who first saw it when they only had the discernment of a child, and who as adults feel nostalgic about it. I first saw it with a group of friends in our 20s, and we all felt insulted by the climax.

That "less cynical time" was the post-Watergate post-Vietnam era. The villain of the movie is the government, just as it is in Spielberg's other movies Close Encounters and Jaws.

MooMooMooMoo 05-10-19 02:05 AM

I will admit the last half was much better than the first half; in fact I would have been fine if it had started there & left out the first 50-55 minutes.

I no longer think it totally sucks, but I can't imagine watching it again.

PhantomStranger 05-12-19 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 13547556)
I may be the only American of my age who's never seen this before. I recently picked it up at some blow out sale (Big Lots)?

I'm at 44 minutes into it, & imo it's dreadful. Really bad. Does it get better? It's got such a good reputation I thought this would be a no brainer.

It was made as children's entertainment in a much simpler era when childhood was still rather innocent. You probably would have loved it as a six-year-old upon seeing it in 1982. Some of Hollywood's most popular movies fall apart once their era has passed.

Mike86 05-12-19 07:45 PM

I was born in 1986 and didn’t really see it until later in life (I think the first time I saw it in full was in 2002 when it came to DVD actually), but I still enjoy it for what it is. I don’t think it’s anything incredibly amazing or anything, but it’s an enjoyable watch. It has that eighties charm to it that a lot of films from that era have that I don’t think is present in today’s films.

Shannon Nutt 05-13-19 06:20 AM

E.T. is Spielberg's "Wizard of Oz." It's incredibly well directed, paced, and edited. It's one of his top three films, behind only Jaws and Schindler's List. I think it's more tightly scripted than Raiders of the Lost Ark. And I love Raiders.

Josh-da-man 05-13-19 07:42 AM

Saw it once when I was a kid at the theater.

Watched it a second time on HBO a couple of months ago.

It is, very much, a childrens’ movie. It doesn’t really hold up well to my adult sensibilities, and it’s more fairy tale than science fiction. The thing I think that caught my eye the most was the heavy-handed Christian allegory. ET is pretty much Jesus: burning heart, his touch heals, he died and was resurrected, and ascended to heaven at the end. Anyone else pick up on that?

E Unit 05-13-19 08:33 AM

Ha, yeah. I've heard that before, which is funny since Spielberg is Jewish. So I don't think that was anything he was trying to incorporate.

But you're right, it's a children's movie. And anyone who's watched any of the docs on previous releases will hear from Spielberg himself that it was meant to be a children's movie, right down to not showing adult faces as much as possible. I always thought that was a great touch. And as Shannon states, it's one of his best in terms of direction, pacing, and editing.

Oh, and what really elevates this is John William's score. I can't imagine this movie having the same impact if it didn't have that score.

But NOT better than Raiders! My favorite movie of all time!

Trevor 05-13-19 09:35 AM

Certain movies must be seen as a child to appreciate as an adult, imo. Not sure if E.T. falls under this for most, but for you at least, and that’s cool. I didn’t see The Goonies until recently and think it’s terrible, and I hate very few things in life.

PhantomStranger 05-13-19 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 13549202)
E.T. is Spielberg's "Wizard of Oz." It's incredibly well directed, paced, and edited. It's one of his top three films, behind only Jaws and Schindler's List. I think it's more tightly scripted than Raiders of the Lost Ark. And I love Raiders.

You have been found in violation of Code 34.2 by the Movie Police. Your Indiana Jones' Blu-rays will no longer work in your player.

PhantomStranger 05-13-19 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 13549289)
Certain movies must be seen as a child to appreciate as an adult, imo. Not sure if E.T. falls under this for most, but for you at least, and that’s cool. I didn’t see The Goonies until recently and think it’s terrible, and I hate very few things in life.

The Goonies definitely falls in that category. I caught it as a kid and it made a huge impression on me. It's told through the lens of very young protagonists, which is very easy for children to identify with, whereas it's much tougher for adults to feel the same thrill with the protagonists.

Alan Smithee 05-13-19 06:15 PM

I remember most critics absolutely hated The Goonies when it was first out.

Shannon Nutt 05-14-19 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 13549547)
You have been found in violation of Code 34.2 by the Movie Police. Your Indiana Jones' Blu-rays will no longer work in your player.

:lol: But other than finding the Ark for the Nazis, Indiana Jones is pretty much an observer in that movie...everything would have happened the same way had he not been around. ;)

DWilson 05-14-19 07:19 AM

I recently watched "E.T." on 4K, not having seen it for quite a while. I was surprised at how dark the cinematography was for much of the film; 4K films are darker by nature, and by comparison the Blu-ray seemed to have the brightness boosted.

Nick Danger 05-14-19 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 13549728)
:lol: But other than finding the Ark for the Nazis, Indiana Jones is pretty much an observer in that movie...everything would have happened the same way had he not been around. ;)

Not at all. If Indy hadn't been around, the Nazis would have gotten the medallion, found the Ark with ease, put it on the flying wing, and transported it to Berlin. The Ark would have been opened in Hitler's presence. It would have killed Hitler, killing him in 1938, before WWII and the Holocaust. If Indy had stayed home, his inaction would have saved a hundred million lives.

(That isn't original to me. I saw it on the internet someplace.)

I saw The Goonies for the first time a few years ago. I liked it fine. It was a children's movie, but it didn't inspire hate in me like E.T.

JeffTheAlpaca 05-21-19 06:23 PM

It is strange to have a ET movie review thread in the HD Talk forum.

E Unit 05-21-19 07:05 PM

Well the OP did state in the title Blu-ray, so I'm guessing that's why.