Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Apocalypse Now - remastered in 4K - "The Final Cut"

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-19, 09:24 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

This is taking place at Tribeca:

Francis Ford Coppola’s Apocalypse Now will celebrate its 40th Anniversary at the Festival with a screening of a new, never-before-seen restored version of the film, entitled Apocalypse Now: Final Cut. Remastered from the original negative in 4K Ultra HD, the film will be brought to life with Dolby Vision® and Dolby Atmos®, delivering spectacular colors and highlights that are up to 40 times brighter and blacks that are 10 times darker, and Dolby Atmos, producing moving audio that flows all around you with breathtaking realism. The Beacon Theatre will also be outfitted for this exclusive occasion with Meyer VLFC (Very Low Frequency Control), a ground-breaking loudspeaker system engineered to output audio frequencies below the limits of human hearing, giving the audience a truly visceral experience.

After the Screening: An evening with Francis Ford Coppola who will reflect on the film and discuss its elaborate restoration.
“Apocalypse Now: Final Cut” will be shown at the Beacon Theatre. It has been remastered in 4K Ultra HD with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos from a 4K scan of the original negative.“Restoring “Apocalypse Now: Final Cut’ 40 years later has been a tremendous undertaking and joy that I am thrilled to be able to share with the world for the first time at this year’s Tribeca Film Festival,” Coppola said. “The audience will be able to see, hear and feel this film how I always hoped it could be — from the first ‘bang’ to the final whimper.”
I would assume a disc is forthcoming.
Old 03-19-19, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: Apocalypse Now - remastered in 4K - "The Final Cut"

Nice!
Old 03-19-19, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Nice!
Yup. I just got a ticket. The sound system thing sounds cool. Earlier that day is a talk with Scorsese & De Niro. Going to be legendary day!
Old 03-19-19, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is a catalog title that could really benefit from a new 4K scan.
I'll buy if it is a visual treat.
Old 03-19-19, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts

He's re-editing the movie again? I don't dislike Redux like some fans do, but I'd still prefer it if the Final Cut could be a return to the original theatrical cut.
Old 03-19-19, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
He's re-editing the movie again? I don't dislike Redux like some fans do, but I'd still prefer it if the Final Cut could be a return to the original theatrical cut.
Tribeca lists "Runtime: 147 minutes", so it would seem it was a restoration to the original cut.
Old 03-19-19, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Screw that then. I prefer the Redux version. I'll stick with that until I eventually go 4K, whenever that will be.
Old 03-19-19, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

I prefer the theatrical cut. I was worried for a second at "Final Cut" being thrown around. I was afraid Coppola was replacing Robert Duvall with Hayden Christensen.
Old 03-20-19, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Hopefully any UHD 4K disc has both cuts like both the dvd and blu ray did.
Old 03-21-19, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 314 Likes on 201 Posts

Theatrical is far better than Redux. Can't wait for the UHD. I can already imagine the Do Lung bridge scene in Dolby Vision.
Old 03-21-19, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I wonder how many here at DVD Talk are going to buy it even though they still don't have a 4K TV or UHD player. Just because it's new and in "preparation" for when they eventually get one. Which could be never.
Old 03-21-19, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I wonder how many here at DVD Talk are going to buy it even though they still don't have a 4K TV or UHD player. Just because it's new and in "preparation" for when they eventually get one. Which could be never.
Not me. Apocalypse Now is my third favorite film of all time but not even it could get me to fall for 4K.
Old 03-21-19, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not me. I have the excellent BD from a few years ago with the Redux version. That'll do just fine.
Old 03-21-19, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

The 4K restoration description sounds pretty exciting and I’d be tempted to pick it up but then I remember that I haven’t even watched the blu-ray I bought several years ago.
Old 03-21-19, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

In the run up to the release of the Bd, some site (maybe Digital Bits) posted a screen grab of some 1080p source representing the then in production/authoring release.

When the final discs did arrive, that earlier screenshot was noticeably sharper and more resolved than what was found on the disc. The final release looked filtered in comparison.

I remember thinking at the time, they are leaving room for another large improvement to be perceptible, whether it be a future re-mastering or some higher than 1080p release.

As long as I get to watched the original '79 cut, with higher fidelity to the source elements, I don't care what format it's on or what they call it.

If it is getting revised in any way, I'll just pass and go on watching the current Bd which is more than serviceable, if still less than perfect.
Old 03-21-19, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
Hopefully any UHD 4K disc has both cuts like both the dvd and blu ray did.

Originally Posted by T-bone22
Theatrical is far better than Redux. Can't wait for the UHD. I can already imagine the Do Lung bridge scene in Dolby Vision.
Same here.
The whole film is perfect for UHD.

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ

I haven’t even watched the blu-ray I bought several years ago.
Old 03-22-19, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus
Same here.
The whole film is perfect for UHD.
And Atmos. Lots of clear opportunities for overhead effects with all those helicopters.
Old 03-22-19, 09:36 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Oh HELL yes....the Atmos had better deliver on a movie like this.
Old 03-22-19, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good point.
Old 04-24-19, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

‘Apocalypse Now: Final Cut' Now Clocking In at 183 Minutes?

The Tribeca Film Festival is starting this weekend, the big event is, of course, a showing of the 4K “Apocalypse Now: Final Cut,” with Francis Ford Coppola in attendance. As Jeffrey Wells just pointed out on Hollywood-Elsewhere, the runtime of this new cut has been changed on Tribeca’s official site, drastically might I add, from the original 147 minutes to now a much heavier 183 minutes. WTF!?

TFF spokesperson Tammie Rosen informed Wells that “we had the wrong time on the site, but once we received the final forms we updated. No different than any other film. Simple as that.”

Wells goes on by quoting a trust-worthy source who told him that at: “183 minutes means Final Cut is 19 minutes shorter than the 202-minute “Apocalypse Now: Redux” and 36 minutes longer than the original 70mm Ziegfeld version that ran 147 minutes. So Final Cut will include the French plantation sequence — just not as much. And the rescuing the Playboy bunnies sequence — just not as much. And so on.”

Hm. I’ve long maintained that this latest version of Coppola’s masterpiece, which seems unnecesary on-paper, might be an excuse for him to start flexing his muscles again because he is about to embark on his first big studio venture since 1997’s “The Rainmaker” by finally shooting “Megalopolis” later this year, at least that’s what he announced earlier this month.

Coppola’s film will celebrate its 40th Anniversary at the Festival. It is, in my opinion, one of the 10 greatest movies ever made.
https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/201...qptXAUJQwO_VFY

I'm in!
Old 04-24-19, 04:27 PM

Damn. It’s going to be a long night. I’m going to have to watch GoT late on Sunday.

They also added Soderbergh to the event as interviewer to Coppola.
Old 04-28-19, 12:58 PM

I’m at an event with Scorsese and DeNiro now. I’m sitting in front of FFC. His event is after this. Dude lost a ton of weight. Alec Baldwin is behind me too.
Old 04-28-19, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14
I’m at an event with Scorsese and DeNiro now. I’m sitting in front of FFC. His event is after this. Dude lost a ton of weight. Alec Baldwin is behind me too.
Awesome. Keep us posted!
Old 04-28-19, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Very cool. Looking forward to reading all about the entire day, as well as impressions of the new cut.

Though for the latter, I'm kind of expecting an unbiased response similar to when the producers flew Harry Knowles in to the Godzilla '98 NYC premiere.
Old 04-28-19, 02:40 PM

DiCaprio walked in trying to disguise himself.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.