Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Apocalypse Now - remastered in 4K - "The Final Cut"

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Apocalypse Now - remastered in 4K - "The Final Cut"

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-19, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts
Re: Apocalypse Now - remastered in 4K - "The Final Cut"

Found this on another site.

Press release.

Quote:
4K Restoration Arrives on
4K Ultra HD™ Combo Pack and Digital 4K Ultra HD on August 27
Featuring Exclusive New Bonus Material from Lionsgate®

SANTA MONICA, CA (April 28, 2019) – Celebrate the 40th Anniversary of Francis Ford Coppola’s visionary Vietnam War epic when the newly restored Apocalypse Now Final Cut arrives on 4K Ultra HD™ Combo Pack (4K disc, plus three Blu-ray discs and Digital copy) and on Digital 4K Ultra HD for the first time ever August 27 from Lionsgate. A special NAGRA myCinema theatrical release of Apocalypse Now Final Cut can be experienced on the giant screen in select theaters nationwide on August 15.

Restored from the original negative for the first time ever, Apocalypse Now Final Cut is Coppola’s most realized version of the film, which was nominated for eight Academy Awards®, won three Golden Globes® (Best Original Score, Best Director, and Best Supporting Actor – Motion Picture, 1980), and is one of AFI’s top 100 films. Starring Academy Award® winner Marlon Brando (1972, Best Actor, The Godfather), Academy Award® winner Robert Duvall (1983, Best Actor, Tender Mercies), Golden Globe® winner Martin Sheen (2001, Best Actor – TV Series, “The West Wing”), Academy Award® nominee Dennis Hopper (1986, Best Supporting Actor, Hoosiers), Academy Award® nominee Laurence Fishburne (1993, Best Actor, What’s Love Got to Do with It), and Academy Award® nominee Harrison Ford (1985, Best Actor, Witness), experience Coppola’s spectacular cinematic masterpiece the way it was intended.

Francis Ford Coppola’s stunning vision of “The Heart of Darkness” in all of us remains a classic and compelling Vietnam War epic. Martin Sheen stars as Army Captain Willard, a troubled man sent on a dangerous and mesmerizing odyssey into Cambodia to assassinate a renegade American colonel named Kurtz (Marlon Brando), who has succumbed to the horrors of war and barricaded himself in a remote outpost.

The Apocalypse Now Final Cut restoration will be brought to life with Dolby*Vision® HDR, bringing entertainment to life through ultra-vivid picture quality. When compared to a standard picture, Dolby Vision can deliver spectacular colors never before seen on a screen, highlights that are up to 40 times brighter, and blacks that are 10 times darker. The 4K Combo Pack and Digital 4K release also feature Dolby Atmos® audio mixed specifically for the home, to place and move audio anywhere in the room, including overhead. In addition, the film has been enhanced with Meyer Sound Laboratories’ newly developed Sensual Sound™, a technology engineered to output audio below the limits of human hearing. All of these technologies work together to present Coppola’s true vision of the film, one that delivers deep, visceral visual and auditory impact. Coppola believes Apocalypse Now Final Cut “looks better than it has ever looked, and sounds better than it has ever sounded,” and he is “thrilled beyond measure to present the best version of the film to the world.”

In addition to the restoration, this 4-disc Apocalypse Now Final Cut anniversary set also includes the film’s Theatrical Cut and Extended Cut (Redux), as well as the acclaimed Hearts of Darkness documentary. Loaded with hours of in-depth special features, the set will also feature tonight’s fascinating Tribeca Film Festival Q&A with Coppola and the prolific Steven Soderbergh (Sex, Lies, and Videotape), which has not been seen or heard outside of the festival until now, and newly discovered behind-the-scenes footage. The Apocalypse Now Final Cut 4K Ultra HD Combo Pack features new, collectable Mondo artwork and will be available for the suggested retail price of $34.99.

4K UHD SPECIAL FEATURES
⦁ Audio Commentary by Director Francis Ford Coppola

BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES
⦁ Disc One
⦁ Disc Two
⦁ An Interview with John Milius
⦁ A Conversation with Martin Sheen and Francis Ford Coppola
⦁ “Fred Roos: Casting Apocalypse” Featurette
⦁ The Mercury Theatre on the Air: Heart of Darkness – November 6, 1938
⦁ “The Hollow Men” Featurette
⦁ Monkey Sampan “Lost Scene”
⦁ Additional Scenes
⦁ “Destruction of the Kurtz Compound” End Credits (with Non-Optional Audio Commentary by Francis Ford Coppola)
⦁ “The Birth of 5.1 Sound” Featurette
⦁ “Ghost Helicopter Flyover” Sound Effects Demonstration
⦁ “The Synthesizer Soundtrack” Article by Bob Moog
⦁ “A Million Feet of Film: The Editing of Apocalypse Now” Featurette
⦁ “Heard Any Good Movies Lately? The Sound Design of Apocalypse Now” Featurette
⦁ “The Final Mix” Featurette
⦁ “2001 Cannes Film Festival: Francis Ford Coppola” Featurette
⦁ “PBR Streetgang” Featurette
⦁ “The Color Palette of Apocalypse Now” Featurette
⦁ Disc Credits
⦁ Disc Three
⦁ Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse (with Optional Audio Commentary by Francis and Eleanor Coppola)
⦁ NEW: Tribeca Film Festival Q&A with Francis Ford Coppola and Steven Soderbergh
⦁ NEW: Never-Before-Seen B-Roll Footage
⦁ John Milius Script Excerpt with Francis Coppola Notes (Still Gallery)
⦁ Storyboard Collection
⦁ Photo Archive
⦁ Unit Photography
⦁ Mary Ellen Mark Photography
⦁ Marketing Archive
⦁ 1979 Teaser Trailer
⦁ 1979 Theatrical Trailer
⦁ 1979 Radio Spots
⦁ 1979 Theatrical Program
⦁ Lobby Card and Press Kit Photos
⦁ Poster Gallery
⦁ Apocalypse Now Redux Trailer

DIGITAL SPECIAL FEATURES

APOCALYPSE NOW FINAL CUT PROGRAM INFORMATION
Year of Production: 1978
Title Copyright: Apocalypse Now Final Cut © 2019 Zoetrope Corp. Package Design and Summary © 2019 Lions Gate Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Type: Theatrical Release
Rating: R
Genre: War, Action, Drama
Closed-Captioned: N/A
4K Subtitles: English, Spanish, French, English SDH
BD Subtitles: English, Spanish, French, English SDH
Feature Run Time: 183 Minutes
4K Ultra HD™ Format: Dolby Vision, 2160p Ultra High Definition, 16x9 (2.35:1)
BD Format: 1080p High Definition, 16x9 (2.35:1) Presentation
4K Audio: English Dolby Atmos
BD Audio: English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio™

APOCALYPSE NOW THEATRICAL CUT PROGRAM INFORMATION
Year of Production: 1978
Title Copyright: Apocalypse Now © 1979 Omni Zoetrope. Package Design and Summary © 2019 Lions Gate Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Rating: R
Feature Run Time: 153 Minutes

APOCALYPSE NOW REDUX EXTENDED CUT PROGRAM INFORMATION
Year of Production: 2001
Title Copyright: Apocalypse Now © 2000 Zoetrope Corporation. Package Design and Summary © 2019 Lions Gate Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Rating: R for disturbing violent images, language, sexual content and some drug use.
Feature Run Time: 202 Minutes
Old 04-28-19, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry about the huge pic.

Old 04-28-19, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 314 Likes on 201 Posts

Holy shit.

Dolby Vision.
Atmos.
Theatrical Included.
Hearts of Darkness included.

Old 04-28-19, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

OK- so Disc 1 is the UHD containing all three cuts via seamless branching?
Disc 2 is all three cuts via branching in 1080p
disc 3 is solely extras in 1080p
disc 4 is Hearts of Darkness in 1080p

Do I have this right?

Gotta say, I'm not usually a fan of newly commissioned art for the jackets, of anniversary release especially, but that art is pretty killer.
Kudos to the illustrator and design team!
Old 04-29-19, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Yup, and that is official. A buddy of mine got the pr release sent directly to him, so it's going down.
Old 04-29-19, 06:50 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Here's Deadline's write up from the interview: https://deadline.com/2019/04/apocaly...ca-1202603628/

It's been a long time since I watched Apocalypse Now or Redux so I don't remember what was different. The French Plantation scene still drags way too much to me. It looked great the soundtrack was a fucking assault on your senses. I don't think what was screened was actually projected in 4K / HDR so that will look even better on disc.
Old 04-29-19, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks like I will probably watch the Final Cut once just so I can say I saw it when I ***** and moan about how much I hate it.

Theatrical Cut all the way for me. The plantation scene is only 23 minutes but it is so boring that it feels like I am being made to watch every post Badlands Malick film on an endless loop. The horror indeed.
Old 04-29-19, 10:59 AM

Also - don't overlook in that press release that --- " A special NAGRA myCinema theatrical release of Apocalypse Now Final Cut can be experienced on the giant screen in select theaters nationwide on August 15. "
Old 04-29-19, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Gotta say, I'm not usually a fan of newly commissioned art for the jackets, of anniversary release especially, but that art is pretty killer.
Kudos to the illustrator and design team!
That's Laurent Durieux's art from a Mondo Gallery show.
Old 04-29-19, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by badlieut
That's Laurent Durieux's art from a Mondo Gallery show.
I'm sure there will eventually come a day when I actually like some piece of artwork that comes from Mondo. Today is not that day. This looks like the cover to an 8-bit NES game.
Old 04-29-19, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

DVD Talk....Nah, I'm good, I don't want it. I'm good with my Blu-Rays

Sees artwork and press release.......quickly runs to Amazon to pre-order.

Old 04-29-19, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
I'm sure there will eventually come a day when I actually like some piece of artwork that comes from Mondo. Today is not that day. This looks like the cover to an 8-bit NES game.
it does, doesn’t it? Still beats flating photoshop heads.

Kind of agree about Mondo. They put out some kind of cool stuff, but it’s kind of nuts when people are paying hundreds and thousands of dollars for the posters. But the bulk of it is really meh.

Full disclosure. I do have this Mondo Lord of the Rings print framed and hanging in my house.

Old 04-30-19, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

Agreed. It's just personal preference I guess, but I just don't care for that art style at all.
Old 05-01-19, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

I usually don't care too much for Mondo stuff. They are usually a little too design school clever to me.

In this case though, I like the colors, the choice of main image for the theme, and I like the style- the combination of a gravure look to the face contrasted with the mechanical Crafttint shaded look of the background.

I've never been a gamer so I see less eighties game packaging and more old school printing techniques rendered with digital's typically inorganic precision.

Not something I would have thought I would have liked on paper, but the result here works for me. I think I even like it more than the original alternate Peak art used for the three disc Blu set.

In any case, I'm not entirely sold on the need of this set for myself since I'm still only rocking faux 4K. Alien was a much different story as that UHD was worth it for the more reverential/ less revisionist color grading alone.
Old 05-01-19, 05:37 PM

<iframe width="711" height="400" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gIUIefO_2x0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-15-19, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

2-night IMAX re-release for this in select theatres.

Tonight and Sunday

https://www.imax.com/movies/apocalyp...Q5EcPr0Fn9k41g

You can check the link to see if it's playing near you.
Old 08-15-19, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

AMC has had those dates posted for a while now. I was bummed that none were nearby but ArcLight is also playing it on some screens next Monday and Tuesday.
Old 08-16-19, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I saw Coppola's new cut of it tonight in IMAX. It was a glorious experience. I thought it likely I would enjoy it more than the Redux, which I did, but I was surprised to discover I actually prefer this new cut over the original theatrical. The Redux added 2 significant new scenes/segments. One of which I thought was fantastic, one of which I didn't like. In the final cut that Coppola just put together a version of the scene I loved was included and the one I didn't like was axed. There were a few other minor changes, but overall it was an absolute masterpiece. Well, moreso than it already was.
Old 08-16-19, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 213 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
I saw Coppola's new cut of it tonight in IMAX. It was a glorious experience. I thought it likely I would enjoy it more than the Redux, which I did, but I was surprised to discover I actually prefer this new cut over the original theatrical. The Redux added 2 significant new scenes/segments. One of which I thought was fantastic, one of which I didn't like. In the final cut that Coppola just put together a version of the scene I loved was included and the one I didn't like was axed. There were a few other minor changes, but overall it was an absolute masterpiece. Well, moreso than it already was.
I saw "Redux" in a theater years ago and I found "The Plantation Sequence" in the third quarter rather anti-climatic and a bit of a bore.
Old 08-16-19, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
The movie is very old and very famous, so I don't think we need to worry about spoilers.

I'm guessing he cut the plantation scene and kept the Playmates scene? Is that what you're saying?
Old 08-16-19, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The movie is very old and very famous, so I don't think we need to worry about spoilers.

I'm guessing he cut the plantation scene and kept the Playmates scene? Is that what you're saying?

Doubtful. Both of those scenes are in the trailer for the Final Cut. I don't see it until Monday night but I think the scene that got cut out was the looking for the surfboard scene.
Old 08-16-19, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Doubtful. Both of those scenes are in the trailer for the Final Cut. I don't see it until Monday night but I think the scene that got cut out was the looking for the surfboard scene.
I wouldn't really call that a "significant" addition to Redux, personally. Certainly not more significant than the other two I mentioned.
Old 08-16-19, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wouldn't really call that a "significant" addition to Redux, personally. Certainly not more significant than the other two I mentioned.

True. I think it's a 20-minute overall trim, though.
Old 08-16-19, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't like the Redux cut because the plantation scene is mind numbing boring and I hate the Kilgore begging for his surfboard back stuff. I was still curious about the seeing the Final Cut in the theater last night but for not for $15 when I can get the 4K UHD for $22 in a few weeks.
Old 08-16-19, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I don't like the Redux cut because the plantation scene is mind numbing boring and I hate the Kilgore begging for his surfboard back stuff. I was still curious about the seeing the Final Cut in the theater last night but for not for $15 when I can get the 4K UHD for $22 in a few weeks.

I paid $11 -- but it's mainly because I want to see the film on the big screen. I have the discs ordered, but I want the grand experience first.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.