Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Samsung exiting Blu-ray Player Market

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Samsung exiting Blu-ray Player Market

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-19, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Re: Samsung exiting Blu-ray Player Market

Originally Posted by Coral
It's not surprising.

As I pointed out in the Criterion thread, this seems to be the trend.
Oppo's bailed on DVD/BD/UHD players - which used to be their bread and butter. Sony didn't include 4K UHD in their PS4 Pro, and MS looks to be releasing a console without an optical drive.

Shiny discs just don't attract many people any more.
They do attract people, but there's an effort to just remove that physical player so consumers are FORCED into the online streaming movie shithole world. You cannot remove something people want unless you create faux proof (i.e., lies) to justify that move. This is one of the biggest manipulations and conspiracies these companies have done.

4K was a scam from the start. I haven't bought one title and probably never will. It's a shame what these assholes are doing to consumers who just want high quality movies in their home. They justify it by saying online streaming is taking over. BULLSHIT. Streaming still sucks donkey balls, is not consistent, never will be, and it seems to be a conspiratorial attempt to take away physical media ownership from consumers. The fact that almost 60% of hard media is still DVD...should demonstrate how well these fucktards have marketed their "ultra high quality" masterpieces.

They just don't give a flying fuck. They made 4K releases, and scammed consumers once again of their cash. 4K will die with a whimper and companies will conveniently forget them. The lack of consistency in the media sector is insulting to consumers like us. A 10-year old would have made better decisions.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 02-17-19 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-17-19, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Look, Digital UHD/4K, Blu-ray, etc., all of it is technically niche media. Only the most hardcore of fans give a shit. Most folks settle for DVD and that's the norm Maybe they don't want to redirect their money towards physical media anymore? Maybe they want to actually have money and they see physical media as a drain on their wallets? Maybe they want to be debt free? Who knows. I know sometimes that if I'm in a crunch I'll get the DVD version from my library. If I really want it bad enough then I'll hit up a RedBox. I am not upgrading to 4k anytime soon since my Panasonic plasma still works perfectly.

Then again, in my case, I want less crap in my home (minimalist), so I prefer digital HD. I also try to spend the least amount of $$$ as possible when I can. Sometimes DVD is just good enough.

*Now I'm also a fan of vinyl but even in that instance I haven't bought a new vinyl since October - and that one was the new Halloween film score. Enough is enough sometimes.
Old 02-17-19, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

4K UHDs aren't a scam, but there are clearly internal factions within Hollywood that want to stab physical media in the back and shift all consumers to SVOD as soon as possible. They are doing everything I would do, if my goal was to transition the market away from physical media sooner rather than later. Everyone in Hollywood is scared of getting Netlixxed to death and their old business model becoming obsolete overnight.

We are already seeing this strategic approach more clearly in the music industry. Locking down content to fleeting, temporary all-digital platforms is the ultimate goal for all entertainment IP owners in this coming digital age.
Old 02-17-19, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by faust69
I have a Samsung 4k player and i think it's garbage. Them exiting the market is fine with me. I hate that I spent money on this POS and can't wait to replace it with something better. And I don't even like their TVs either. I own an LG.

Old 02-17-19, 06:34 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
Zero percent chance e-retailers like Amazon will ever stop selling physical media. And as long as studios make revenue from it, they’ll ccontinue releasing it. They’ll just stop manufacturing releases en masse.
Amazon still sells HD DVDs along with other discontinued crap. The general population is moving away from discs along with the studios. Samsung exiting the market is big news regardless of the quality
Old 02-17-19, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't think this is as big a deal as some are making it to be. OTOH, if another mainline manufacturer follows suit this year, that may spell the end.

For now, I'm with Why So Blu?, enjoying my Panny plasma, and buying zero 4k discs.
Old 02-17-19, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

Samsung has great TVs but their dvd players and recorders suck
Old 02-18-19, 09:29 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo

Amazon still sells HD DVDs along with other discontinued crap. The general population is moving away from discs along with the studios. Samsung exiting the market is big news regardless of the quality
I had no idea Samsung blu ray players were such a big factor to physical media and their company. They're not known for their players.

And that's exactly my point - there's always some retailer who will be selling physical media - new and old.
Old 02-18-19, 09:34 AM
Suspended

I had no idea Samsung blu ray players were such a big factor to physical media and their company. They're not known for their players.

And that's exactly my point - there's always some retailer who will be selling physical media - new and old.
I feel like some people will downplay Samsung exiting the market as much as possible. You already had a top player (Oppo) leave the market and now Samsung who, regardless of quality, is a bigger name brand that has released probably dozens of players over the past decade. Guess we can wait for the next CE to drop out and we can have the same discussion how its not a big deal.
Old 02-18-19, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts

I haven't bought a BD in at least a year, I stick to Digital HD, streaming, etc...There is just too much good stuff to watch now a days. The only movie disc purchase I made in 2018 was a Warner On-Demand DVD-R of "Urge! A Music War" since it's not available anywhere, and I wanted a copy to go with other old midnight movies I have. $10, and it looks fine.
Old 02-18-19, 10:14 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I feel like some people will downplay Samsung exiting the market as much as possible. You already had a top player (Oppo) leave the market and now Samsung who, regardless of quality, is a bigger name brand that has released probably dozens of players over the past decade. Guess we can wait for the next CE to drop out and we can have the same discussion how its not a big deal.
Who's the biggest make of players right now? I'm guessing Sony? If they drop selling players, then I'll definitely agree with you.

Also, is Samsung going to stop completely making players? Or just releasing them in the US?
Old 02-18-19, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Who's the biggest make of players right now? I'm guessing Sony? If they drop selling players, then I'll definitely agree with you.
The thing to watch out for, is when Sony or LG sells or outright close down their division which designs and manufactures the OPU (optical pickup unit).

https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/anat...tical-drive/7/

https://www.engadget.com/2012/08/27/...tiarc-closure/
Old 02-18-19, 03:17 PM
Suspended

Also, is Samsung going to stop completely making players? Or just releasing them in the US?
Sony didn’t even care enough to add 4K disc support to the PS4.
Old 02-18-19, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Samsung is actually the number one seller of tv displays at the moment, which is why dropping player support comes at an odd time. Their players never had as big a share, but it's still troubling. The two companies propping up players are Sony and Panasonic.

Oppo got out of the business for reasons only marginally related to conditions in the media space, their parent company wanted all hands on deck for their core smartphone business.
Old 02-18-19, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a column dropped today by Bill Hunt that drills down on this subject if anyone is interested.
(Sorry, I don't know if I can post a link or not)
Old 02-18-19, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Panasonic is apparently introducing 4 new 4K players in 2019.
Old 02-18-19, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Reasons why 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray is dying before it really started

Old 02-18-19, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

You got Panasonic and Sony. You don't need anybody else. LG is there to pick up the tab.

I think I only own about 2 4K discs. Most of my buying purchases are cheap Blu-ray titles. I can happily live with 1080P even though 4K is way better with clarity and colors, not to mention strong detail.

I can't afford to be buying $25 discs. Those days are over.

The problem is not streaming, the problem is people are sick of shelling out over $20 for titles.
Old 02-19-19, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic
You got Panasonic and Sony. You don't need anybody else. LG is there to pick up the tab.

I think I only own about 2 4K discs. Most of my buying purchases are cheap Blu-ray titles. I can happily live with 1080P even though 4K is way better with clarity and colors, not to mention strong detail.

The problem is not streaming, the problem is people are sick of shelling out over $20 for titles.
you only have 2? There were a whole bunch of 4K movies on sale this past Black Friday for under $15. Many were under $10. I picked up a lot. There were a lot of good and inexpensive titles...many catalog.

I’m also not a fan of paying $20 or more for movies, although I make some exceptions here and there.

I know most here who’ve gone digital only probably think the expense of purchasing new discs is a money pit and eats up valuable space in their homes.

Last edited by DJariya; 02-19-19 at 12:20 AM.
Old 02-19-19, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This site is British and pertains to their situation, which is different from the U.S. market.

Originally Posted by Sonic

Probably the biggest blunder studios has made with this format is using BD 2K masters and upconverting them to 4K.
The results generally do not motivate folks to open their wallets.

Another problem is the trend towards smaller displays for watching video.
4K UHD really shines on BIG screens above 55", not on cellphones or tablets.

This also plays a factor.
With MSRP listings at $29.95, buyers are not beating a door down for new releases.

The middle class will continue to be squeezed economically as their disposable income become smaller in the future.
Beyond changing the tax code there isn't much that can be done to change this economic direction.
Old 02-19-19, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
Physical media is still always going to look better than streaming but the majority of people don't give a shit. I'm sure that's what Samsung is banking on.
That's not going to be true for long. Streaming 4K/UHD looks pretty darn good. Physical media will be a niche sooner rather than later. That said, it's not going anywhere anytime soon.
Old 02-20-19, 09:38 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Samsung is actually the number one seller of tv displays at the moment, which is why dropping player support comes at an odd time.
Which is just stupid to get out of the business. If you were going to buy a TV wouldn't you buy all the matching equipment with it (I know I usually do). At least have some sort of player for the consumer who wants it. But with Samsung recently getting into bed with Apple a bit, maybe they see the future is more in the built-in apps.

Old 02-20-19, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If anyone has had freezes or dropouts during streaming, love for the tech goes away quickly.
I have thousands of discs...all alphabetized on shelves that I can reach for and toss in a player in a matter of a few seconds.
No drama with movies on disk.
I can't say that with all of my streaming experiences.
However, I do stream a lot due to some great original content not available on disc.
Old 02-20-19, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Which is just stupid to get out of the business. If you were going to buy a TV wouldn't you buy all the matching equipment with it (I know I usually do). At least have some sort of player for the consumer who wants it. But with Samsung recently getting into bed with Apple a bit, maybe they see the future is more in the built-in apps.
The alliance with Apple does seem to be driving some of this decision. Apple has been very hostile to physical media for over a decade. All new Samsung displays have some of the most intrusive advertising possible on their app interface that you can't turn off.
Old 02-20-19, 04:38 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by melasnus
If anyone has had freezes or dropouts during streaming, love for the tech goes away quickly.
I have thousands of discs...all alphabetized on shelves that I can reach for and toss in a player in a matter of a few seconds.
No drama with movies on disk.
I can't say that with all of my streaming experiences.
However, I do stream a lot due to some great original content not available on disc.
bag on streaming all you want, but discs can also skip, have unskippable trailers/commercials, sometimes require updates to play discs and don’t remember where you left off if you go from living room to bedroom or phone or tablet or computers - among other issues I could also add in.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.