Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

George A. Romero's DAWN OF THE DEAD -- 4K UHD (Theatrical, Cannes, Argento cuts) coming from Second Sight

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

George A. Romero's DAWN OF THE DEAD -- 4K UHD (Theatrical, Cannes, Argento cuts) coming from Second Sight

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-21, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
Re: George A. Romero's DAWN OF THE DEAD -- 4K UHD (Theatrical, Cannes, Argento cuts) coming from Second S

Alls well that ends well, I guess. Congratulations.

I only got the lowly Bd set, but it's hard to imagine being more satisfied with another presentation of this film.

This marks my third SS release, and all three were knocked out of the park.
Old 01-02-21, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Re: George A. Romero's DAWN OF THE DEAD -- 4K UHD (Theatrical, Cannes, Argento cuts) coming from Second S

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Alls well that ends well, I guess. Congratulations.

I only got the lowly Bd set, but it's hard to imagine being more satisfied with another presentation of this film.

This marks my third SS release, and all three were knocked out of the park.
If you are after the 4K release, DiabolikDVD posted a picture of a bunch of copies of the 4K set on their Instagram account a few days ago.

Unsure but it might mean more are going up on their site once they re-open.
Old 01-02-21, 08:35 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
My Zavvi order took the long, long way around:

But it's here at long last!

Thailand?? No New Zealand stamp? Damn are you lucky you even got it. But looks good!
Old 01-06-21, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unbelievably, I got my package with the exact same "Missent to Thailand" stamp. Shipped November 13th, 2020. Arrived January 6th, 2021.

I wish they dated the package or the post dated the package. A little piece of me wonders if they send it late (maybe they ran out of stock) and use this as a cover. Alternatively maybe their shipping really sucks this badly. Why Thailand? Two packages (at least). Same stamp mark. Hmmm.

Well at least we got it.
Old 01-10-21, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Onitafmw55
Unbelievably, I got my package with the exact same "Missent to Thailand" stamp. Shipped November 13th, 2020. Arrived January 6th, 2021.

I wish they dated the package or the post dated the package. A little piece of me wonders if they send it late (maybe they ran out of stock) and use this as a cover. Alternatively maybe their shipping really sucks this badly. Why Thailand? Two packages (at least). Same stamp mark. Hmmm.

Well at least we got it.
I also have the mysterious thai stamp. But no wear on the box. Looks like it came direct from the UK to me. Also I asked them for a tracking number and they kept dodging the question. Very suspicious.

Edit: finally got around to opening this tonight. Just me or does the 4K seem too dark? Reminds me of the Twilight Time Night Of The Living Dead 1990 transfer.

Last edited by SterlingBen; 01-12-21 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-15-21, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Standard edition has been confirmed as coming out March 22 on both UHD and BD, looks like they feature the same four video discs from the LE in a 'Rigid slipcase and 4 tray digipack'
The following users liked this post:
Dan (01-18-21)
Old 01-15-21, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Perfect. Just what I wanted, although I was kinda sorta hoping for a dual format release.
Old 01-22-21, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Awesome news!

I kicked myself for missing out on the LE a few times, so I'm happy I have this Standard Edition to look forward to.
Old 01-23-21, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Says ships to the UK only.
Old 01-23-21, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Says ships to the UK only.
That's Second Sight. Other places like Zavvi and DiabolikDVD ship to the US.
Dan (01-23-21)
Old 01-23-21, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
That's Second Sight. Other places like Zavvi and DiabolikDVD ship to the US.
My last question is are all the discs region free or not? Im seeing differing info on two different sites. Thanks!
Old 01-23-21, 11:34 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

The 4K discs should all be region free.
The Blu-ray discs in the set are region B according to Second Sight's own listing.

​​​​​
Old 01-23-21, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My last question is are all the discs region free or not? Im seeing differing info on two different sites. Thanks!
99.9% of the time all 4k discs are region free(I saw where one movie( can't remember which movie for some reason was encoded to be region-locked). The blu-ray discs are region-locked, which means the one discs of extras. I'm okay with that, I just want the movies. I already own the 4-disc Ultimate Edition which is full of extras).
Old 01-25-21, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
99.9% of the time all 4k discs are region free(I saw where one movie( can't remember which movie for some reason was encoded to be region-locked).
100% of all UHD discs are region free. The Ultra HD Blu-ray format spec has no provision for region coding. That feature doesn't exist on the format.
Old 01-25-21, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
100% of all UHD discs are region free. The Ultra HD Blu-ray format spec has no provision for region coding. That feature doesn't exist on the format.
Not true. There's only like 3 of them, and presumably it was a mistake in the authoring, but they do exist. Weathering With You from Shout Factory is one of them.
PhantomStranger (01-29-21)
Old 01-25-21, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Not true. There's only like 3 of them, and presumably it was a mistake in the authoring, but they do exist. Weathering With You from Shout Factory is one of them.
That's very weird, as Sony (one of the developers of the format) explicitly states:

"Blu-ray Disc media have region codes, but unlike DVD players, the region codes for Blu-ray Disc media use letters instead of numbers to indicate a particular zone or region where the discs can be played.

Ultra HD Blu-ray Discs, on the other hand, are region-free and can be played back using a player that supports Ultra HD Blu-ray, regardless of the region where they were purchased."
Old 01-25-21, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312

I had also read that Greenland 4K in some foreign territories was also mistakenly made region locked to outside territories.
Old 01-25-21, 12:21 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Yup, UHDs are not supposed to be region-locked, but mistakes (or "mistakes" ?? ) have been made a handful of times. Sucks. Those discs should be replaced.
John Pannozzi (01-25-21)
Old 02-06-21, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is the region B blu ray special features disc actually locked to region B or is it just labeled region B? My Arrow region B Tremors 4k set's blu ray has played in both my PS5 and One S. However, I was told by one commenter that the system will lock eventually to one region after switching back and forth a few times between two different region discs. Is there any validity to this? I'm hoping that these special features discs are simply just region free. I would appreciate any feedback. I want to order the Dawn set but hope to not be locked out of those special features. Thanks!
Old 02-06-21, 12:24 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Region B locked.
Old 02-06-21, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by E Unit
Region B locked.
I will have to pass on it then. I appreciate the response. It looks like a kick ass set but 40 bucks is too much for the movie alone.
Old 02-06-21, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

To be fair it is three cuts of the film and it looks outstanding in 4k.
Old 02-06-21, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Toddarino
To be fair it is three cuts of the film and it looks outstanding in 4k.
I know. I really want to get it but just feel like I'm only getting to third base with this one and not the home run we should be getting for the price tag. It's like paying for a game with the DLC included but they forgot to include the code for the DLC and they won't replace it. It's also 3 cuts of the same movie. 3 distinct cuts but still the same movie in the end. I have the ultimate edition on dvd.
Old 02-06-21, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I know. I really want to get it but just feel like I'm only getting to third base with this one and not the home run we should be getting for the price tag. It's like paying for a game with the DLC included but they forgot to include the code for the DLC and they won't replace it. It's also 3 cuts of the same movie. 3 distinct cuts but still the same movie in the end. I have the ultimate edition on dvd.
If you already have the Ultimate, many of the extras are repeated with this release. I'm getting it just for the movies. No telling when or IF there will ever be a complete release for this region. I usually only watch extras once, so no big deal missing out. How many times you need to revisit the mall or go through make-up effects? Plus, every now and then an extra will pop up on YouTube.
Old 02-17-21, 06:30 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

As nice as the Limited set was, I ended up selling it. I don't need the extras and I can put the money towards the standard edition plus some new 88 Films Jackie Chan releases.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.