Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

George A. Romero's DAWN OF THE DEAD -- 4K UHD (Theatrical, Cannes, Argento cuts) coming from Second Sight

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

George A. Romero's DAWN OF THE DEAD -- 4K UHD (Theatrical, Cannes, Argento cuts) coming from Second Sight

Old 11-23-20, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: George A. Romero's DAWN OF THE DEAD -- 4K UHD (Theatrical, Cannes, Argento cuts) coming from Second S

The box was too oversized. So it bounced around within the box.
Old 11-23-20, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 197 Likes on 171 Posts
Re: George A. Romero's DAWN OF THE DEAD -- 4K UHD (Theatrical, Cannes, Argento cuts) coming from Second S

My set just arrived from DHL. Mint condition. The box was perfect in size even though they only padded the bottom part with brown construction paper? No bent corners or anything. Gonna fire it up tomorrow..

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 11-23-20 at 09:38 PM.
Old 11-23-20, 07:55 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 196 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino View Post
The box was too oversized. So it bounced around within the box.
if Amazon try to get something. All I did was complain about box and hod to actually take pic and email to him while on phone and got full refund. I was hoping for like $5USD to gift card. Can’t hurt.
Old 11-23-20, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can’t get over how much different the blood looks. It no longer resembles melted crayon.
Old 11-24-20, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

I just got my "dispatch" notice from Amazon UK. I'd about reconciled the idea I wouldn't be getting it; I was one of those that placed a very early order with Base, -and you probably know how that went.
Old 11-24-20, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't want to start a new thread just for a poll- but I'm curious what versions people ordered.

So far OldBoy and I both got the Bd version. Anyone else? Or is everyone going for the 4K set?
Old 11-24-20, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

4K for me.
Old 11-24-20, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 97 Likes on 76 Posts

When I checked tracking a day or two ago, it said my package was due for arrival Friday. So, I was definitely surprised when it showed up today. Not a ding or crease on it, but Diabolik usually packs things right.

I might not have a chance to watch it until the weekend, but I'm looking forward to seeing the upgrade to 4k. I wasn't sure if I'd ever be able to retire the DVD.
Old 11-24-20, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post
I don't want to start a new thread just for a poll- but I'm curious what versions people ordered.

So far OldBoy and I both got the Bd version. Anyone else? Or is everyone going for the 4K set?
Trust me, 4K is the way to go for this set. That's what I got.
Old 11-24-20, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 339 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino View Post
4K for me.
For me as well.

Although Zavvi hasnít delivered mine yet, and even though Iím still within the window they estimated, Iím getting a little nervous.
Old 11-24-20, 08:50 PM

4k.
Old 11-25-20, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

4K here, which finally shipped from Amazon UK yesterday and the tracking says will be here on Friday! Also, I think this is the first time I had actual tracking from an international order. Apparently it was shipped 'UPS Express Saver'
Old 11-25-20, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by joltman View Post
4K here, which finally shipped from Amazon UK yesterday and the tracking says will be here on Friday! Also, I think this is the first time I had actual tracking from an international order. Apparently it was shipped 'UPS Express Saver'
The same, though my tracking just says "UPS" and the projected date is next Thursday. Of course, for a couple years before all this, I was used to waiting 4-6 weeks for a package from Amazon UK to show up.

Update: I'm still not used to this fast shipping, though that's what I'm paying for. It's still projected for Dec 3, but last night it went from Great Britain to Lexington KY by early morning and it's now at the local UPS hub.

Last edited by DWilson; 11-26-20 at 02:37 AM.
Old 11-25-20, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by joltman View Post
Mine says Friday as well. I know what I'M doing on my day off Friday!
Old 11-26-20, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is anyone having weird audio issues? I get some weird distortionish noise out of my right speaker.
Tested a bunch of other stuff with no problems.
Old 11-26-20, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Where? Which disc? Which part? I’ve gone through all 3 cuts and didn’t have any issues at all.
Old 11-26-20, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It’s happening sporadically throughout the extended cut. If I remember correctly it happened during the Argento cut, but not to this extent. Theatrical was totally fine.
Old 11-28-20, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 97 Likes on 76 Posts

I'm currently more than halfway through the theatrical cut, and I can't imagine being more pleased with the presentation. The 4k is pretty flawless, and there's actual grain! That's always nice to see.

As to the audio issue mentioned, I haven't experienced any problems. Everything is clear, no issues. It was worth the wait to finally upgrade the old Anchor Bay set.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (01-15-21)
Old 11-29-20, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 197 Likes on 171 Posts

I watched the TC today and it was stellar!
Old 11-29-20, 03:03 AM

I watched the Theatrical Cut and have just started the bonus disc. I didn't expect much from the first segment "Motorcycles and Zombies" and was wary when I saw it was an hour long. However, it turned out to be a lot of fun, and an interesting angle for a behind the scenes look at the film through present day interviews with many of the extras who worked on the film. The next segment has Tom Savini, his pal Taso, and Michael Gornick touring the mall and telling stories.
The updated "Document of the Dead" now includes segments that follow up on the original documentary with the filmmaker visiting Romero on the set of "Two Evil Eyes", "Land of the Dead" and "Survival of the Dead", which adds a bit of melancholy as you watch the late director grow older and become more frail in appearance.

Last edited by DWilson; 11-30-20 at 09:34 AM.
John Pannozzi (01-15-21)
Old 11-30-20, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone here interested in a set? Figured I’d ask before I looked into other options. My Diabolik copy gets here Saturday.
Old 11-30-20, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

I watched the theatrical cut. There's nothing particularly "HDR" about the image, but it's very sharp and detailed and has nice colors. The grain sometimes looks a little noisy, but nothing serious.

Anyone have a preference for the soundtrack options? I played around with all three and eventually settled on the stereo mix. The mono (which supposedly had the bulk of the restoration work) sounded very weak on my system, while the 5.1 was spread too thin and sounded a little gimmicky. The Goblin score sounded best in the stereo mix to me.

The movie itself holds up great. I was a little worried that it might not.
John Pannozzi (01-15-21)
Old 11-30-20, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I watched the theatrical cut. There's nothing particularly "HDR" about the image, but it's very sharp and detailed and has nice colors. The grain sometimes looks a little noisy, but nothing serious.

Anyone have a preference for the soundtrack options? I played around with all three and eventually settled on the stereo mix. The mono (which supposedly had the bulk of the restoration work) sounded very weak on my system, while the 5.1 was spread too thin and sounded a little gimmicky. The Goblin score sounded best in the stereo mix to me.

The movie itself holds up great. I was a little worried that it might not.
I'll agree that the HDR element wasn't very pronounced on the Theatrical cut, -I'm sure it's the same on the others. I started with the 5.1 but the center channel dialogue seemed soft to me, and I went with the 2.0 for the rest of the film.
Old 11-30-20, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson View Post
I started with the 5.1 but the center channel dialogue seemed soft to me, and I went with the 2.0 for the rest of the film.
Yes, exactly. The dialogue in the 5.1 track got buried in the mix during the opening scenes. I got better results upmixing the stereo track using Neural:X.
John Pannozzi (01-15-21)
Old 01-01-21, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 339 Likes on 228 Posts

My Zavvi order took the long, long way around:

But it's here at long last!

The following 4 users liked this post by Adam Tyner:
joltman (01-02-21), Josh Z (01-01-21), Paul_SD (01-02-21), PhantomStranger (01-02-21)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.