Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

George A. Romero's DAWN OF THE DEAD -- 4K UHD (Theatrical, Cannes, Argento cuts) coming from Second Sight

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

George A. Romero's DAWN OF THE DEAD -- 4K UHD (Theatrical, Cannes, Argento cuts) coming from Second Sight

Old 10-06-20, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 825 Likes on 546 Posts
Re: George A. Romero's DAWN OF THE DEAD -- 4K UHD (Theatrical, Cannes, Argento cuts) coming from Second S

Hopefully I’ll still be able to unload my backup copy. I ordered from
Zavvi and Diabolik. I guess I could still cancel the Zavvi, but I gotta make sure I get this.
Old 10-06-20, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 181 Posts
Re: George A. Romero's DAWN OF THE DEAD -- 4K UHD (Theatrical, Cannes, Argento cuts) coming from Second S

Originally Posted by dex14
Someone on the BR forum posted they received this email response from Second Sight:
Yes indeed, there will be a more standard edition in the new year.

It will have the three cuts.
Interesting, but I'd like to see this formally announced before I cancel my preorder for the box o' junk.
Old 10-06-20, 11:56 AM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

Unlikely that will happen until after this had been out a while.
You’ll always be able to sell the limited for a profit.
Old 10-06-20, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Unlikely that will happen until after this had been out a while.
Which makes me skeptical that someone from Second Sight really revealed this unreleased info in an email to a b-d (dot) com forum member. My BS detector is sounding some alarms.
Old 10-07-20, 07:48 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Someone on the BR forum posted they received this email response from Second Sight:
Yes indeed, there will be a more standard edition in the new year.

It will have the three cuts.
If this is true (and yeah, it's a big if), then I'll gladly pick that up. This massive box wasnt for me.
Old 10-07-20, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
If this is true (and yeah, it's a big if), then I'll gladly pick that up. This massive box wasnt for me.
It’s plausible. This seems to be a favorite tactic of European labels (especially StudioCanal) — lead with a ridiculously lavish, expensive limited edition release followed months afterwards with something more plain-jane and reasonably priced.
Old 10-07-20, 10:32 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

I’ll stick with lavish, whatever laden Ultimate. Would only want this in best form possible. Can’t wait. Surprisingly, Base still hasn’t cancelled me.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (10-21-20)
Old 10-07-20, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I’ll stick with lavish, whatever laden Ultimate. Would only want this in best form possible. Can’t wait. Surprisingly, Base still hasn’t cancelled me.

Best form possible is the 4K.

Old 10-08-20, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?

There's no guarantee that a "standard" release won't have signifcantly less content. And I don't mean just the soundtrack either. Either way, I'm sure this set will be superior to any cheaper one that comes out down the line.
Old 10-08-20, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
It’s plausible. This seems to be a favorite tactic of European labels (especially StudioCanal) — lead with a ridiculously lavish, expensive limited edition release followed months afterwards with something more plain-jane and reasonably priced.
I have no doubt that a streamlined edition will eventually be released, but I'm not yet reassured that it will include all three cuts of the film. I'm not taking the word of a random poster on a notoriously unreliable forum.
Adam Tyner (10-08-20)
Old 10-08-20, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts

How many times are you actually going to listen to that cd of library music cues? Be honest.

yeah, that too.
Old 10-08-20, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

There's been chatter that Deep Discount is going to start cancelling it's pre-orders as well now.

That possibly Rubenstein has dropped the hammer on SS to enforce the territory restriction that was likely in the contract.

If that is the case, I wonder how it will affect Diabolik and the if the Region B locked Bds might be able to slip through the cracks better?
Old 10-08-20, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
I have no doubt that a streamlined edition will eventually be released, but I'm not yet reassured that it will include all three cuts of the film. I'm not taking the word of a random poster on a notoriously unreliable forum.
That's where I'm at. I passed on the original Dawn Blu-ray because it didn't have all cuts. I don't know why people assume that a streamlined version would include them all, and the company has no incentive to say otherwise. I'm not missing this dream release. I want to finally retire the DVD.
Hazel Motes (10-08-20)
Old 10-08-20, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

If we were talking about Diary of the Dead, that would be a different story. But chances are I'll probably own this set for the rest of my life. I anticipate it being the cornerstone of my entire collection.
Old 10-09-20, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Dan

Old 10-09-20, 07:08 AM

The following 2 users liked this post by dex14:
John Pannozzi (10-21-20), Why So Blu? (10-09-20)
Old 10-09-20, 07:10 AM

Surprisingly, Base still hasn’t cancelled me.
Look at your order status. It will be cancelled. They aren’t sending an additional email about it.
Old 10-09-20, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

Thanks for the info. I imagine they'll put one out next year.
Old 10-09-20, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

What that message from Second Sight doesn't make at all clear is what will be included in a standard release. Namely, it doesn't say if all cuts will be included.
Old 10-09-20, 08:34 AM

In the email the person I previously mentioned received it said all 3 cuts.

I would assume the standard version just drops the packaging, book and CDs.
Old 10-09-20, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

I'm actually not that interested in all the cuts. I got Blade Runner with all the various cuts. Watched the different ones once. They're more curiosity items like other extras. Just give me a nice presentation of the main movie.

I'm no longer in that collector mode
Old 10-09-20, 08:00 PM

well, I don’t have 4K right now. You know I’m not getting rid of 3D yet. So, to me, this is the best version. And, $80 for my fav horror movie of all time in all its forms is just fine. I’m not waiting and yes, I could care less about CDs or whatever else junk is in it (unless it includes that mini comic or art book in one of the earlier posts here. That would interest me), but I’m not sorry I’ll have them. Hell, I’ll sell them if any wants them. It doesn’t really matter. It’s the movie, in 3 different cuts in that glorious packaging!
Old 10-09-20, 08:05 PM

Look at your order status. It will be cancelled. They aren’t sending an additional email about it.
yup. You are correct. No harm, no foul. Glad I had Amazon already preordered as well...
Old 10-09-20, 08:06 PM

just gorgeous!
Old 10-10-20, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

well, I don’t have 4K right now. You know I’m not getting rid of 3D yet. So, to me, this is the best version. And, $80 for my fav horror movie of all time in all its forms is just fine. I’m not waiting and yes, I could care less about CDs or whatever else junk is in it (unless it includes that mini comic or art book in one of the earlier posts here. That would interest me), but I’m not sorry I’ll have them. Hell, I’ll sell them if any wants them. It doesn’t really matter. It’s the movie, in 3 different cuts in that glorious packaging!
With the amount of money you spend on BDs and digital films you'd be 4K compliant in no time.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.