Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Beatles "Let it Be" & Rooftop Concert finally getting a release

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 01-30-19, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just heard over the radio it is being worked on with over 100 hours of audio & video
Old 01-30-19, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: The Beatles "Let it Be" & Rooftop Concert finally getting a release

Was this originally shot on 16mm or 35mm film?
Old 01-30-19, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The Daily Beatle: The new Let It Be film

According to this timeline it was shot 16mm and blown up to 35mm.
Old 01-30-19, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Big Beatles fan but I never really have bought any of their concerts or films (actually the only one I have is a VHS release of A Hard Day's Night). I probably will get this one though.
Old 01-30-19, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Peter Jackson is doing this apparently. I've been waiting since the advent of DVD to see Let It Be.
From Hollywood Elsewhere:

“Let It Be” Sessions Were Nothing To Shout About
In the wake of They Shall Not Grow Old, Peter Jackson‘s next found-footage project will be about the Beatles and their somewhat acrimonious
Let It Be
sessions in 1969. Jackson will find a way to make something out of 55 hours of unused footage, shot by Michael Lindsay-Hogg in 1969 and later manifested in the 1970 Let It Be doc.

The Jackson-Beatles story was broken by Variety‘s Chris Willman.

Jackson: “The 55 hours of never-before-seen footage and 140 hours of audio made available to us ensure this movie will be the ultimate ‘fly on the wall’ experience that Beatles fans have long dreamt about. It’s like a time machine transports us back to 1969, and we get to sit in the studio watching these four friends make great music together.”

Excuse me, but that’s just bullshit. The Beatles were in a shitty, dysfunctional place when the footage was shot, and the music on the Let It Be album wasn’t in the least bit “great” — it felt tired, sluggish, retro-lazy, downish, uninspired. “Let It Be Naked” has value, but the remixed Phil Spector version is arguably the worst album the Beatles ever issued.

And the tracks themselves are mostly a drag, like a version of the Beatles basement tapes: “One After 909, “Don’t Let Me Down”, “Dig a Pony”, “I’ve Got a Feeling”, “Get Back”, “Let It Be”, “I Me Mine,” “Two of Us”, “Maggie Mae”, “Dig It”, “The Long and Winding Road”…God! The only tracks I can stand are “For You Blue” and the original “Across the Universe.”

Wiki excerpt: “The rehearsals and recording sessions for the album did not run smoothly. The acrimony that began during the recording of the White Album resumed soon after the rehearsals began. The Beatles weren’t getting along, and Lennon and McCartney weren’t working together as before.

“McCartney assumed the role of the leader, while a detached Lennon was more interested in spending time and making music with his soon-to-be wife Yoko Ono, who was present in the studio with him at all times. Lennon was in a fragile emotional state, with Ono having suffered a miscarriage of their child just six weeks before the start of the sessions, following a drug bust the month before.

“All of these factors led to friction within the band. At one point, Harrison quit the group after several arguments with McCartney and a falling out with Lennon, due to the former’s perfectionism and the latter’s disengagement. Harrison was coaxed back a few days later.

“The film version is famous for showcasing a number of conflicts between the group members and has frequently been referred to as a documentary that was intended to show the making of an album butinstead showsthe breakup of a band.'”

Jackson again: “After reviewing all the footage and audio that Michael Lindsay-Hogg shot 18 months before they broke up, it’s simply an amazing historical treasure trove. Sure, there’s moments of drama, but none of the discord this project has long been associated with. Watching John, Paul, George and Ringo work together, creating now-classic songs from scratch, is not only fascinating. It’s funny, uplifting and surprisingly intimate. I’m thrilled and honored to have been entrusted with this remarkable footage. Making the movie will be a sheer joy.”

Bullshit artist!
Old 01-31-19, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Great, now my laserdisc will be worthless.
Old 01-31-19, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Great, now my laserdisc will be worthless.
Jackson isn't re-doing the existing documentary, he's making a brand-new one with footage that wasn't used in the 1970 documentary. Your laserdisc will be just fine...although I suspect the 1970 version may get re-issued when Jackson's movie comes out.
Old 01-31-19, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Jackson isn't re-doing the existing documentary, he's making a brand-new one with footage that wasn't used in the 1970 documentary. Your laserdisc will be just fine...although I suspect the 1970 version may get re-issued when Jackson's movie comes out.
From the Variety article:

A restored version of director Michael Lindsay-Hogg’s theatrical release is set to finally get its belated digital release, “following the release of this new film,” according to Apple’s announcement.
Old 01-31-19, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I doubt there's any chance the new documentary, fully approved by all the remaining Beatles' interests, delves into the more contentious fights between the members. Many people thought this would never be released because the Beatles' management wanted the acrimony white-washed from history.
Old 02-01-19, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
From the Variety article:
A restored version of director Michael Lindsay-Hogg’s theatrical release is set to finally get its belated digital release, “following the release of this new film,” according to Apple’s announcement.
Right, but I don't think Jackson is involved with that.
Old 02-01-19, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I doubt there's any chance the new documentary, fully approved by all the remaining Beatles' interests, delves into the more contentious fights between the members. Many people thought this would never be released because the Beatles' management wanted the acrimony white-washed from history.
Yeah, but some people make this out to be more than it is. Four guys just got tired of dealing with each other and wanted to explore careers on their own - it's not like there was all this bad blood where they didn't talk to each other for years and/or hated each other. No group of talented people work together that closely without egos clashing. It was just business, as Don Corleone would say.
Old 02-01-19, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Right, but I don't think Jackson is involved with that.
No, he is not. What I've read is it's already done but just hasn't been released. There's a chance it might be in a "super duper" release with Jackson's film but I've not found anything conclusive. There's also nothing I've found that even says the original will be released on physical media. It's kind of implied but never said directly.
Old 02-02-19, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Knowing the Beatles, I'm sure everything will be available in a super-lavish box for $200.
Old 02-24-19, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Who cares about the fights? I want restored footage of the rooftop concert & the music from the Twickenham & Apple Studios in HD.