DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   DVDActive shuts down (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/646569-dvdactive-shuts-down.html)

DJariya 01-24-19 04:58 PM

DVDActive shuts down

Hello everyone,

As some of you may have heard when we announced via DVDActive.com's Facebook and Twitter pages, our founder and webmaster, Malcolm Campbell, passed away in November of last year.

What I didn't explain at the time was that Malcolm was a private person and, because we lived an ocean apart, I hadn't maintaining sufficient contact over the last several years. Essentially, I was running the day-to-day tasks on my own, but never gained access to any of the site's financials or backend. After discussing the site’s future, the remaining site staff decided to move on. I do not personally have the funds or technical skills to keep the site open and running. Even if I did, I don’t have access to the source code and Malcolm developed the site from scratch (including the single best back end I’ve ever used).

We’d like to apologize for disappearing so suddenly and thank you all for years of readership. I will be maintaining the DVDActive facebook (https://www.facebook.com/dvdactive/) and Twitter (@DVDActive) for a while, and can be reached/followed on my own twitter, @GabeMPowers.

TLDR: Due to an unforeseen tragedy and lack of financial/administrative support, DVDActive.com has closed its doors. We will miss you and hope you stay in touch.

– Gabe

Too bad. I used to visit their site a lot, but I get why they couldn't keep it going. And there are so many other sites that give the same information they provide.

I noticed that they didn't have much traffic or comments in recent years.

TheMovieman 01-24-19 05:50 PM

Re: DVDActive shuts down

That is a shame. I liked the formating of their news articles.

Josh-da-man 01-24-19 07:52 PM

I didn’t visit DVDActive much.

I do remember, back in the DVD heyday of the late 90s, that I would visit dites like DVDFile, DVDReview, and The Digital Bits daily looking for news, reviews, and bargains. I eventually stopped checking those place after I found places like DVDTalk and HTF.

I’ll still poke into The Digital Bits every now and then, though.

Mike86 01-24-19 10:15 PM

I didn’t use DVDActive much either. I’d visit DVDFile and The Digital Bits back in the day as well. Also used to visit TV Shows on DVD and Home Theater Forum a lot. This place was always my favorite. I lurked those other sites but never joined. Even here I lurked for quite a while before signing up.

mugwump 01-25-19 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13487925)

I do remember, back in the DVD heyday of the late 90s, that I would visit dites like DVDFile, DVDReview, and The Digital Bits daily looking for news, reviews, and bargains. I eventually stopped checking those place after I found places like DVDTalk and HTF.

To be honest it's kind of nuts that DVDTalk has been around so long that I'm going on 20 years of being a member. There are now members here who weren't even born when I joined up. Fortunately all the shenanigans going on with the various social media platforms are starting to lead people back to more traditional online forums. Doesn't help though when they're run essentially as a one man project and I've seen a number of various hobby forums that I used to frequent go away after a tragedy or just disinterest.

Hokeyboy 01-25-19 08:49 AM

I was exclusive to HTF for a few years before joining here in 2001. I liked HTF but some of the people, including (and especially) the site owners, were fucking lunatics. And, as the case turned out to be, hardcore fucking plagiarists when it came to lifting from DVD Talk reviews.

clckworang 01-25-19 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13487925)

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13488026)
I didn’t use DVDActive much either. I’d visit DVDFile and The Digital Bits back in the day as well. Also used to visit TV Shows on DVD and Home Theater Forum a lot. This place was always my favorite. I lurked those other sites but never joined. Even here I lurked for quite a while before signing up.

Oh, memories. I frequented all those sites, too. I had a particular order that I would visit each of them and would hit them all up at least once a day. It was back when any new title announcement was exciting. I still get a little excited when a title is announced in HD or 4k, but it's just not the same any more.

Adam Tyner 01-25-19 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 13488219)
And, as the case turned out to be, hardcore fucking plagiarists when it came to lifting from DVD Talk reviews.

An HTF writer definitely cribbed from at least one of my reviews.

Josh Z 01-25-19 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 13488287)
An HTF writer definitely cribbed from at least one of my reviews.

That's distressing. Is he still with the site or did they at least fire him?

Adam Tyner 01-25-19 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Z (Post 13488351)
That's distressing. Is he still with the site or did they at least fire him?

They didn't boot him for that, but Jason Perez hasn't posted anything on HTF in 13 years. While the review in question had a different leaning than mine did (mine was mildly positive, his was negative), Jason very obviously took my review and reworded it. The same things were said in the same order and almost the exact same way, including a bunch of phrases word-for-word. He did update the review after I complained (with Geoff and Ron both getting involved), though he insisted it was a coincidence and that he never even saw my review.

Coral 01-25-19 11:10 AM

I went to DVDActive once in a while just to see if anything interesting was going to be released.

Is anyone still going to the HTF? Just took a look at their forum and there doesn't seem to be much activity at all.
I remember they changed their layout and it was very jarring and it caused visits to drop dramatically practically overnight. I was visiting less and less because I just didn't care as much about physical media any more - and the change in layout just made me bail altogether.

Take away the Other, TV and maybe the Sports forums - and I'd bail on this site as well. The last thing I'm interested in at DVDTalk are DVDs/BDs.

Josh Z 01-25-19 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 13488400)
Is anyone still going to the HTF? Just took a look at their forum and there doesn't seem to be much activity at all.
I remember they changed their layout and it was very jarring and it caused visits to drop dramatically practically overnight.

I still pop in occasionally for the Robert Harris threads, but that's about it. I agree that I don't like their current site layout.

story 01-25-19 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by mugwump (Post 13488161)
Doesn't help though when they're run essentially as a one man project and I've seen a number of various hobby forums that I used to frequent go away after a tragedy or just disinterest.

I wonder how much Internet 1.0 that's still out there are sites like that, 1-person labor of love projects. Maybe more than we think? How many are on the brink like DVDActive was.

Mike86 01-25-19 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by clckworang (Post 13488281)
Oh, memories. I frequented all those sites, too. I had a particular order that I would visit each of them and would hit them all up at least once a day. It was back when any new title announcement was exciting. I still get a little excited when a title is announced in HD or 4k, but it's just not the same any more.

I was the same way back when DVDs were really hot. I had my routine of sites I’d regularly visit back in the day. I’d go to the ones I mentioned and also I’d go to sites to check prices or look for deals (I used DVD Price Search and DVD Empire a lot, though I only ever ordered through Amazon or Deep Discount). I’d also go onto my DVD Aficionado account regularly to update my collection or add things to my wishlist. Typically I landed on DVDFile or here at DVDTalk most because I liked reading the forums. I never was as big of a Home Theater Forum even though it had good information. I didn’t care for a lot of the posters there I think so I’d just read what I wanted to and move on.

JeffTheAlpaca 01-25-19 06:35 PM

Sucks since that was the first place I went to check release dates and was wondering what happened since the page would not load for weeks.

What site can you use now to check the release dates when blu-rays come out?

Adam Tyner 01-25-19 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 13488873)
What site can you use now to check the release dates when blu-rays come out?

I use High Def Digest’s list.

Gizmo 01-26-19 11:03 AM

They were still around? Wow.

I keep waiting for the death notice of DVDTalk.

E Unit 01-26-19 11:37 AM

What do you think Gizmo - the death of physical format or DVDTalk first?

Red Hood 01-26-19 06:45 PM

During the DVD/Blu-ray heyday, DVDActive used to be my go to place for dvd/bd release info. It's sad that this happened as it seems they were still pretty active until the owner passed away. It seems that only a few sites like DVDActive are still around, like TheDigitalBits. Even TVShowsonDVD closed recently and are doing sporadic updates only on social media.

Gizmo 01-26-19 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by E Unit (Post 13489193)
What do you think Gizmo - the death of physical format or DVDTalk first?

Physical format.

DVDTalk is somehow still around 20 years later. I’m shocked.

E Unit 01-26-19 09:35 PM

You’ll be shocked when you see physical format around another 20 in some form or another.

Gizmo 01-26-19 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by E Unit (Post 13489434)
You’ll be shocked when you see physical format around another 20 in some form or another.

Just like CDs...sure. But good luck getting anything but greatest hits. Studios would rather sell digitally and let watch.

PhantomStranger 01-29-19 08:35 PM

I rarely used DVDActive but remember it well. Many good websites are often the work and labor of one critical person behind the scenes, and unfortunately few prepare for what happens if they suddenly pass away. A lot of good content has seemingly evaporated that way from the net.

morriscroy 01-30-19 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 13491316)
I rarely used DVDActive but remember it well. Many good websites are often the work and labor of one critical person behind the scenes, and unfortunately few prepare for what happens if they suddenly pass away. A lot of good content has seemingly evaporated that way from the net.

Same can be said of multi author blogs, where the main writer resigns (or dies).

Brian T 01-30-19 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 13491316)

Originally Posted by morriscroy (Post 13491621)
Same can be said of multi author blogs, where the main writer resigns (or dies).

I'm a heavy user of the IMDb app on my phone while/after watching movies or just cross referencing stuff. Still lots to dislike about the overall site and its content (and now especially it's hideous sucking up to celebrities after shutting down the forums), but the app is handy and intuitively designed. In it they have a "Critic Reviews" or "Metascore Critic Reviews" button right near the main info up top. Very convenient. I prefer it when the Metascore version is the option because it links me to professional writers who review films, while the former is generally a mix of those plus so many amateurs from a million blogs and home video websites. Occasionally I'll scroll the list of reviewers for some oddball exploitation picture or Z-movie and the pickings are pretty slim, mostly a bunch of unknown bloggers or contributors to genre sites I've never heard of, and clicking them these days frequently leads to a "Page Not Found" or "This domain name for sale" page.

I can imagine that sort of thing extends well beyond movie/dvd sites, too, to pretty much every area of interest you could imagine. Weird how the first internet bubble bursting was all about irrational investments, ridiculous IPO's, etc., while a second bubble seems to be this protracted, sorry deflation bought about by millions suddenly realizing that they simply can't sustain interest in themselves or their hobbies, or that few people were interested in the first place. It's weird to stumble across dead blogs and see months if not years of posts without a single response. No wonder they give up -- no one knew they even started!

A lot of these folks have presumably migrated to the galactic-sized wastelands of social media where -- thanks to the closed-circuit nature of the thing -- you can essentially preach to a choir that's possibly every bit as small as the one that viewed your website or blog back in the day, but feels more immediate because you can actually see the "likes" (or whatever) in nearly real time. Or not. DVDActive's Facebook posts, for example, are, I think, wholly representative of a general lack of interest in either the subject matter or their coverage of it (such as sharing or re-tweeting release info from companies who probably appreciate the free advertising but don't really need it).