Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Shield -- The Complete Series -- 11/6/18

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Shield -- The Complete Series -- 11/6/18

Old 01-28-19, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Shield -- The Complete Series -- 11/6/18

Well as long as it's still in the "previously on" for like the rest of the season, then I think it's ok. lol
Old 01-28-19, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
I've seen some people talking about audio issues like that on the Blu-ray.com thread too. Add to that the issues with some content being cut on "Mum" and I'm glad I held off on this set.
I'm going to borrow the set from my friend & check the audio from more episodes. This is a serious fk up & I can't understand how this mistake could've been made.
Old 01-28-19, 09:00 PM
Banned

I'm surprised by the reviews. A lot of the episodes appear to have bad compression artifacts or noisy/blocky grain instead of nice clear grain. Wish we could get the actual 4K transfers.
Old 01-29-19, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
Had a discussion with a friend who just purchased this set & claims the audio from the first few seasons (so far) is "fake" 5.1 & is basically mono.
He ripped the audio from one of the episodes in season 2, ran it through Audacity & sent me a screenshot. This definitely does not look right to me. Looks like all of the audio is in the center channel.

imagebam.com
My DVDs sound much better than this release. At this point I'm content to just keep them.
Old 02-02-19, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, got the DVD series. Was just looking to purchase it soon. Looks like more holding out until things get settled. If Mill Creek was in charge of the audio, well, not surprised. I would find it odd however, if only one guy said the track was mono. I thought The Shield tracks were 2.0.

P.S. It seems somebody ripped the audio from another episode and it does look like a stereo track. In any case, I'm not going to buy something just to confirm it's ok. Additionally, there are comments about the episodes still being compressed (no reason for this other than Mill Creek's infamous touch on it that love to DNR movies).

Another thing to ask is why the fuck was Mill Creek given the job, if this set is around $100. Ok, for $40 I would expect it, but this isn't cheap. Why couldn't another company have done it that is competent and doesn't have a history of flushing content through the shittiest post-processing workflow I've experienced.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 02-02-19 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-02-19, 09:38 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

does this come with digital copy? if so, anyone want to sell?
Old 07-15-19, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Yeah, got the DVD series. Was just looking to purchase it soon. Looks like more holding out until things get settled. If Mill Creek was in charge of the audio, well, not surprised. I would find it odd however, if only one guy said the track was mono. I thought The Shield tracks were 2.0.

P.S. It seems somebody ripped the audio from another episode and it does look like a stereo track. In any case, I'm not going to buy something just to confirm it's ok. Additionally, there are comments about the episodes still being compressed (no reason for this other than Mill Creek's infamous touch on it that love to DNR movies).

Another thing to ask is why the fuck was Mill Creek given the job, if this set is around $100. Ok, for $40 I would expect it, but this isn't cheap. Why couldn't another company have done it that is competent and doesn't have a history of flushing content through the shittiest post-processing workflow I've experienced.
I ripped the audio. The Shield is 2.0. There was obviously an error when transcoding to 5.1 on this set.

Old 08-06-19, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Thanks for the confirmation. Still holding off on buying this set.
Old 08-06-19, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

This set is now $95.05 at Amazon.

I'd like to hold off and hopefully get another 20-25 bucks off before I pull the trigger. I can't imagine that sales for this have been so great to keep it in the $90-100 range. They have to want to move some stock.

I don't have a souped up stereo system like some of you, so the audio channel thing that was mentioned is not a big deal to me.
Old 08-07-19, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
This set is now $95.05 at Amazon.

I'd like to hold off and hopefully get another 20-25 bucks off before I pull the trigger. I can't imagine that sales for this have been so great to keep it in the $90-100 range. They have to want to move some stock.

I don't have a souped up stereo system like some of you, so the audio channel thing that was mentioned is not a big deal to me.
Then save yourself $100 and just watch them all on HULU.
Old 08-07-19, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Then save yourself $100 and just watch them all on HULU.
It's a new 4K HD transfer and I want a physical copy of it.

Also I want the new cast reunion documentary and the other extras/commentaries. There's a ton of bonus features.

I only have the old Sony DVD set that cost like $25 and I'd like to upgrade that. I've already seen the series as it aired on FX and I'd like to eventually re-visit it with this new transfer.
Old 08-07-19, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
It's a new 4K HD transfer and I want a physical copy of it.

Also I want the new cast reunion documentary and the other extras/commentaries. There's a ton of bonus features.

I only have the old Sony DVD set that cost like $25 and I'd like to upgrade that. I've already seen the series as it aired on FX and I'd like to eventually re-visit it with this new transfer.
Don't forget though, one or two of the episodes in this new blu-ray set are the edited European versions.
Not a huge deal, but not cool for "purists". Shawn Ryan was supposedly looking into the issue, but he's gone silent on it since.
Old 08-14-19, 03:53 PM

I have been waiting on this to see if it pops up at around $50 on Amazon or Best Buy. No rush since I have it on DVD.
For those who have never watched, hands down the best cop drama to ever grace the small screen.
Old 08-15-19, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by 3nthebag View Post
For those who have never watched, hands down the best cop drama to ever grace the small screen.

Old 08-15-19, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post

I must agree that the Wire was also great. You can't go wrong with either. Bosch is up their too.