Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The X-Files -- The Complete Season 11 (Final season) -- 9/18/18

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-18, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

The X-Files - The Complete Season 11 (Fox)
$19.98 SRP DVD; $29.99 SRP Blu-ray

EXTRAS: Gag Reel, Conversation on the Fox Lot, The Scully Effect, Green Production, Commentary on "Kitten", Commentary on "My Struggle IV"; BLU-RAY EXCLUSIVE EXTRAS: Solve for X: Constructing Season 11, Implanted Memories: 25 Years of The X-Files

-----The next chapter of The X-Files is a thrilling 10-episode installment of the classic, mind-bending series. David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson return as FBI agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully, investigating unsolved cases rife with government conspiracies, unexplainable mysteries, and alien cover-ups. Mulder and Scully's pursuit of the truth continues with a search for their long-lost son, William. But they aren't the only ones looking for him; dark forces gather, and the very fate of the world could be at stake. One thing is certain: secrets will be revealed...and the truth may finally be within reach.

For all of you to complete your X-Files collections.

Currently $26.99 at Amazon.

\
Amazon Amazon
Old 07-27-18, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts
Re: The X-Files -- The Complete Season 11 (Final season) -- 9/18/18

Sweet, I actually loved seasons ten and eleven.
Old 07-27-18, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Sweet, I actually loved seasons ten and eleven.
11 was better than 10, but still pretty uneven. That said, "The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat" is good enough to justify buying the season.
Old 07-27-18, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Without spoiling anything with details, does this show at least get a satisfying conclusion? I'm only on S7.
Old 07-27-18, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I stopped midway through the season. I'll get this eventually to complete the collection.
Old 07-27-18, 09:02 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I own Seasons 1 through 10 (huge X-Files fan), Season 11 will be a required purchase.
Old 07-27-18, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Without spoiling anything with details, does this show at least get a satisfying conclusion? I'm only on S7.
Without spoiling anything... Set your expectations really, really, really low.
Old 07-28-18, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn ....

Makes me glad I'm binging the entire series and was not watching back in the 90s.
Old 07-28-18, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
11 was better than 10, but still pretty uneven. That said, "The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat" is good enough to justify buying the season.
That's one of the best X-Files episodes, period. Easily in my top ten.
Old 07-28-18, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn ....

Makes me glad I'm binging the entire series and was not watching back in the 90s.
Without getting into any plot spoilers, the thing to understand is that Chris Carter does not actually have any clear idea of what he wants the "mythology" arc of the series to be. Or at least, he stopped having a clear idea of that somewhere after Season 5 and the first movie. Since that point, he's just been making it up as he goes along, constantly contradicting and blatantly ret-conning himself.

That said, there are still enjoyable episodes throughout the series. Season 11, for example, had in my opinion two pretty great ones. Unfortunately, the season was 10 episodes long and most of the rest were awful, especially the mythology eps.

Enjoy it for what it is. Just don't hold out any hope for satisfying narrative closure, because Carter will never provide it.

Last edited by Josh Z; 07-28-18 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-28-18, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yea, I started to notice the main plot was fizzing out after the movie. Seems like they are running out of story.
Old 07-28-18, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Bottom line in these final 2 seasons:

Procedural episodes: Mostly good.

Serialized episodes: Bad to Horrible.
Old 07-30-18, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yea, I started to notice the main plot was fizzing out after the movie. Seems like they are running out of story.
Not only that, but Carter wanted to end the show after Season 7 and the network kept throwing money at him to extend it. He really struggled to find excuses to do that, especially when the main cast stopped being happy working on the show anymore. You'll understand what I mean when you get to Season 8.
Old 07-30-18, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Without getting into any plot spoilers, the thing to understand is that Chris Carter does not actually have any clear idea of what he wants the "mythology" arc of the series to be. Or at least, he stopped having a clear idea of that somewhere after Season 5 and the first movie. Since that point, he's just been making it up as he goes along, constantly contradicting and blatantly ret-conning himself.

That said, there are still enjoyable episodes throughout the series. Season 11, for example, had in my opinion two pretty great ones. Unfortunately, the season was 10 episodes long and most of the rest were awful, especially the mythology eps.

Enjoy it for what it is. Just don't hold out any hope for satisfying narrative closure, because Carter will never provide it.
I believe it is still on Hulu so please let me know what is the second episode in season 11 other than forehead sweat worth watching?

I gave up on Season 11 as I believe eps 1 or 2 (not sure I even bothered with episode 2, or maybe I got up to the mid point or more of the season, as you can tell from this post I did not consider what I watched memorable) are as far as I got and I just shrugged my shoulders and moved on to watching other stuff.
Old 07-30-18, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
I believe it is still on Hulu so please let me know what is the second episode in season 11 other than forehead sweat worth watching?
Episode 7, called "Rm9sbG93ZXJz," is also pretty great, IMO. Some fans griped about it feeling more like an episode of Black Mirror than X Files, but I hardly see that as a bad thing given the current sad state of X Files.

I gave up on Season 11 as I believe eps 1 or 2 (not sure I even bothered with episode 2, or maybe I got up to the mid point or more of the season, as you can tell from this post I did not consider what I watched memorable) are as far as I got and I just shrugged my shoulders and moved on to watching other stuff.
Oh yeah, the Chris Carter-penned season premiere and finale episodes are guaranteed hot garbage, and I certainly understand someone bailing immediately after watching one. The thing that keeps me watching are the episodes written by Darin Morgan: "Forehead Sweat" this season and the Were-monster ep last season.
Old 07-30-18, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Thanks Josh!...will watch both eps soon and technically I have never missed an episode of The X-Files (I even watched the odd and not very exciting second X-Files movie on cable a while back) so I will just let the other eps in the season run in the background while I play Tap Titans 2 on my iPad (that way I keep my streak of having seen every episode intact).
Old 07-30-18, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Not only that, but Carter wanted to end the show after Season 7 and the network kept throwing money at him to extend it. He really struggled to find excuses to do that, especially when the main cast stopped being happy working on the show anymore. You'll understand what I mean when you get to Season 8.
Yeah... Carter really should have used the seventh season to close out the main alien mythology arc that had been running since season one.

And then, depending on what Fox, DD, and GA wanted to do, Carter should have done each subsequent season with its own new conspiracy arc that would be closed out by the season finale. That way they would still get to do conspiracy arcs, and since it would be done year-by-year, each season could be the final one that supplied closure.
Old 07-30-18, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
And then, depending on what Fox, DD, and GA wanted to do, Carter should have done each subsequent season with its own new conspiracy arc that would be closed out by the season finale. That way they would still get to do conspiracy arcs, and since it would be done year-by-year, each season could be the final one that supplied closure.
That's a damn good idea. That would have been great! Sadly, Chris Carter is stuck in the mindset that what worked in the first few seasons is that way it should continue to be, even though he doesn't have any idea where it's going anymore.

Spoiler:
Season 11 actually opens by saying that the previous season's finale was just a dream.

That's a clear sign of desperation.

The X Files really calls out for a reboot with fresh talent at the helm.
Old 08-06-18, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

As satisfying as the conclusion to TWIN PEAKS.
Old 08-09-18, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

The first and last episode of season 11 were absolute shit - couple of the worst Files episodes ever. The rest were actually good to great.