DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   What We Left Behind: Looking back at Star Trek Deep Space 9 -- Coming to BD (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/644601-what-we-left-behind-looking-back-star-trek-deep-space-9-coming-bd.html)

DJariya 07-11-18 06:02 PM

What We Left Behind: Looking back at Star Trek Deep Space 9 -- Coming to BD

https://ds9documentary.com/

New 25th anniversary Star Trek: Deep Space Nine documentary is coming to BD.

You can pre-order the BD on the above website. This is a similar campaign like the For the Love of Spock documentary from a few years ago. Looks like according to the website they've interviewed most of the principal cast members and creative team.

They're hoping to release it later this year.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine first aired in January, 1993 well over a year after the death of Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry. When compared to The Original Series and The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine was written off as too “dark,” “edgy,” and “the black sheep” of the Star Trek family, a show that did not fit Roddenberry’s vision of the future. But someone was still watching as the show lasted seven seasons. Now, over twenty years later, fans all over the world are rediscovering Deep Space Nine and embracing the show with an enthusiasm rivaling the affection they feel for any other Star Trek series. Critics are even calling the show the Jewel in the Crown and the best of the Star Trek franchise. A devoted sci-fi fan might rightly ask themselves; “What the hell happened?”

Our documentary film, What We Left Behind: Looking Back at Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, will take a detailed look at this historic series and consider the reasons Deep Space Nine went from a family outcast to a Star Trek mainstay. The film will also contain a “what if” segment in which the original writers brainstorm a theoretical 8th season of the show.

Ira Steven Behr says in this video they have completed shooting the documentary. All that's left is post production:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QohlzlC4sVI" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lisadoris 07-12-18 05:20 AM

Re: What We Left Behind: Looking back at Star Trek Deep Space 9 -- Coming to BD

I read they've converted some material to HD since they raised so much money and that's why production has lasted as long as it has (I didn't watch the video so they might mention that). Can't wait for the release.

PhantomStranger 07-12-18 01:45 PM

CBS had plans to release Deep Space 9 and Voyager on Blu-ray but sales for Enterprise and Next Generation weren't as good as they expected, pretty much ending any chance those less popular shows would get a Blu-ray release.

DJariya 07-12-18 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by lisadoris (Post 13370268)
I read they've converted some material to HD since they raised so much money and that's why production has lasted as long as it has (I didn't watch the video so they might mention that). Can't wait for the release.

All Behr says in the video is they completed filming and all that's left is post production. He also says there is time for you to donate to the project so your name can be put in the credits.

Mike86 07-12-18 02:24 PM

Not the biggest DS9 fan but I’ll probably grab this. I enjoy Star Trek in general and always like a good documentary about a film or tv show.

actionjackson29 09-02-18 11:33 AM

They want more donations. Apparently, the HD footage looks so much better than the SD that they want to convert more.

Mike86 09-02-18 03:16 PM

Forgot about this. I’ll probably order it at some point.

DJariya 03-12-19 05:30 PM

https://deadline.com/2019/03/star-tr...nd-1202574537/

Shout Factory has picked up the rights to this documentary.

​​​​​​​

Mike86 03-12-19 08:05 PM

Nice. I never ordered but signed up to be notified when it’s available for purchase.

DJariya 04-08-19 05:41 PM

STAR TREK: DS9 Documentary Hits Theaters on May 13 | TrekCore Blog

Coming to theatres May 13th from Fathom Events. One night only.

melasnus 04-09-19 12:37 PM

Of all the ST series, DS9 and TNG are my 2 favs.
It has been a long time since I have seen either, not sure which I like more.

leeta 04-12-19 08:44 PM

DS9 was refreshing because it was such a different Trek. Loved the characters and the way they played off of each other.
The only storylines that were bad were those involving Jake.

PatD 04-12-19 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by leeta (Post 13532442)
The only storylines that were bad were those involving Jake.

Jake-centric episodes like "The Visitor" and "In the Cards" were excellent, IMHO.

GreenMonkey 04-23-19 01:57 PM

Just finished rewatching DS9 with my daughter a few weeks ago (skipping some bad episodes here and there via a reddit episode guide). Surprised how much of the show I'd forgotten in 10 years since I saw it last (when she was a baby and I needed something to do while sitting around with her and a bottle in the middle of the night).

I'm a Babylon 5 fan first and foremost, but I don't hold DS9's corrupted corporate origins against it since the showrunners, cast & crew didn't seem to be involved in the shenanigans.

I feel like the story derails a bit at the end with the Dukhat/ pah-wraith stuff in the last couple of seasons, but a lot of the characters were really great on rewatch (esp. Garak, or any episode that is Quark vs Odo).

And damned if I never noticed that Wayoun and Brunt were played by the same guy until I saw the trailer / kickstarter video for this.

As far as TNG vs DS9, overall, DS9 does far better with character stories, and better with slightly longer storylines. TNG single episodes are generally stronger though, when TNG really nails it, it nails it - DS9 rarely nails an episode as well as TNG did many times.

Might swing out to see this in the theater with my daughter if she's interested. If not, I'll pick it up on BD.

Mike86 04-23-19 02:58 PM

The main edge I’d give TNG over DS9 personally is that it has better/more likable characters in my opinion. That’s where TNG really excels. I think it has the best cast even more than TOS, which is a very close second. DS9 was really strong as far as it’s over-arching story, especially with the Dominion Wars stuff, but I also agree that when TNG nails strong episodes it’s better. I really like most Trek to a degree. My least favorite is probably Voyager overall (I haven’t seen a lot of Discovery yet).

DthRdrX 04-25-19 03:32 PM

I LOVE DS9, but the different factions which were major players in the plot had ridiculous names that still make me roll my eyes whenever I hear them. Cardassians, Ferengi, Bajorans ....

TNG and TOS are still the best to me. TNG characters are awesome, and TOS had my most memorable stories.

Voyager could have been the best show in the franchise. It should not have been written with the standard "story of the week" format that worked well for the other shows. Should have been more focused on isolation, survival, loss, and the actual threats that were constantly around them. Basically, the Year of Hell plot line, but expanded more than two episodes. Instead, we got a show where they run into numerous aliens that call the alpha quadrant out by name as if it's common knowledge that the galaxy is split into four quadrants.

Shannon Nutt 04-26-19 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by DthRdrX (Post 13539943)
I LOVE DS9, but the different factions which were major players in the plot had ridiculous names that still make me roll my eyes whenever I hear them. Cardassians, Ferengi, Bajorans ....

All three of those were introduced first in The Next Generation - so don't blame the DS9 guys for their names or their species' appearance. ;)

BackStJoe 04-26-19 10:07 PM

Watched the DS9 doc (backers get an online screening this weekend) and it's really well done and seeing some shots from the show in HD was great.

DthRdrX 04-27-19 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 13540305)
All three of those were introduced first in The Next Generation - so don't blame the DS9 guys for their names or their species' appearance. ;)

They were, but that doesn't mean they had to use those species for the next show. The Ferengi were the only species I liked.

DthRdrX 04-29-19 07:32 PM

See What Could've Opened Deep Space Nine Season 8 in an Exclusive Clip From What We Left Behind

DJariya 12-21-19 12:00 AM

Digital copy to own is on sale:

$4.99 at Vudu

https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/...e-Nine/1160115

$4.99 at Amazon

Another option for those who don't want to spend a lot of money on the physical media release.

DJariya 03-21-20 11:38 PM

FYI

This is now streaming for free at Tubi TV

https://tubitv.com/movies/513071/wha...eep_space_nine

asianxcore 03-27-20 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13709452)
FYI

This is now streaming for free at Tubi TV

https://tubitv.com/movies/513071/wha...eep_space_nine

Thanks for the heads up!

I've been wanting to see this ever since I missed a local screening of it last year.