DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Stranger Things - Season 2, BD/DVD retro VHS packaging release? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/644138-stranger-things-season-2-bd-dvd-retro-vhs-packaging-release.html)

kd5 05-24-18 08:53 AM

Stranger Things - Season 2, BD/DVD retro VHS packaging release?

Having a hard time finding out anything about the Stranger Things - Season 2 BD/DVD release. All I see are keep case DVD releases at Amazon, not even sure if they're legit, Target seems to be the only retailer handling Stranger Things and they're not selling Season 2 yet. Hoping to find out info on the BD/DVD release of Season 2 in the retro VHS packaging. Anyone have any news?

Brian T 05-24-18 09:12 AM

Re: Stranger Things - Season 2, BD/DVD retro VHS packaging release?

That Season 2 set on Amazon is a bootleg. It's on ebay as well. I've also seen it in the Chinese malls up here. Apparently it's decent quality but that's not surprising in the digital/streaming age. Just a shame a legitimate version hasn't come out yet to stem this flood of lost sales . . .

kd5 05-24-18 09:22 AM

I wonder why Amazon is allowing these blatantly bootleg DVD releases to be sold on their site? If all it takes is letting them know, maybe I should take the initiative, I don't know...

Still wish we'd get some info on the official release...

hdnmickey 05-24-18 09:38 AM

It's nuts how many bootlegs are sold at supposedly legit sites.

That said, it's going to be interesting if there is another retailer exclusive to release these and if they will continue the VHS packaging style. I sure hope so. In fact, I woudl love it if S2 came in one of those clamshell cases that came after the top cover sleeve style they used for S1.

Bluelitespecial 05-24-18 09:39 AM

I hope there is a similar VHS style case release for season 2, it'll probably be around the release of season 3. I do hope its not just a Target exclusive, I still see plenty of unsold copies on store shelves.

Brian T 05-24-18 09:42 AM

I don't think Amazon really cares any more what gets sold on their site, so long as it drives traffic to Amazon. Nor do they care whether reviews are actually reviews, or just seller feedback mistakenly posted as reviews. Reporting anything to them doesn't matter anymore; they're just too big now to do anything about it.

kd5 05-24-18 09:57 AM

I've seen a steady supply of them on the shelves at Target (whether they're new or the same ones I saw the last time, and the time before that, I don't know), if anyone's like me they've been hesitant to shell out $25, but for $15 I couldn't resist. Now I find myself jonesing for S2 and I haven't even seen S1 yet, just going by reviews I'm stoked to see it.

PerryD 05-24-18 10:09 AM

When did Season 1 physical get released in relation to Season 2 streaming? Usually they are around the same date. Until we hear more about a Season 3 streaming date, I don't think you'll hear much about the physical release of Season 2.

hdnmickey 05-24-18 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by PerryD (Post 13338167)
When did Season 1 physical get released in relation to Season 2 streaming? Usually they are around the same date. Until we hear more about a Season 3 streaming date, I don't think you'll hear much about the physical release of Season 2.

S1 came out at Target only a few weeks before S2 started. I know because I binged one so I could start fresh with the other.

I agree S2 will likely come out right before S3. Only an issue of which retailer(s) will have it.

kd5 05-24-18 02:37 PM

I've read that Season 3 began filming on (or about) April 22nd (of this year), and probably won't air until sometime in 2019, which means we probably have a bit of a wait until S2 is available as a physical release...

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/strange...theories-plot/

That sucks.

Mike86 05-24-18 02:52 PM

It seems like the season one set was really over produced or maybe it just didn’t sell because there seems to be no shortage whenever I go to Target. I’d probably buy season two and another VHS style package would be cool.

hdnmickey 05-24-18 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13338405)
It seems like the season one set was really over produced or maybe it just didn’t sell because there seems to be no shortage whenever I go to Target. I’d probably buy season two and another VHS style package would be cool.

Personally I blame the price. My local store ran out when they had them for $10 on BF. But like yours, there are plenty back in stock now, so at some level it's about over production as well.

Josh-da-man 05-24-18 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by hdnmickey (Post 13338140)
It's nuts how many bootlegs are sold at supposedly legit sites.

Yeah, it's fucking ridiculous.

The entertainment industry was shittingbitself over file-sharing and torrenting, suing users right and left, but are content to allow bootlegs to be sold on Amazon and eBay.

I stopped buying CDs from Amazon sellers because every goddamned one of them was some kind of bootleg. Mostly dodgy "imports" from South america.

DthRdrX 05-27-18 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by hdnmickey (Post 13338423)
Personally I blame the price. My local store ran out when they had them for $10 on BF. But like yours, there are plenty back in stock now, so at some level it's about over production as well.

I wonder if they produced a ton of them before the deal with Target for exclusive rights to it. A lot of times releases are produced and sit in factories for months, if not years, before they get a release date.

It would be nice if the 4K version actually has HDR for S2.

PhantomStranger 05-27-18 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13338781)
I stopped buying CDs from Amazon sellers because every goddamned one of them was some kind of bootleg. Mostly dodgy "imports" from South america.

Amazon "solved" that problem last year by largely blocking every third-party CD seller except Super D subsidiaries.:lol: Coincidently prices have shot through the roof on CD pricing.

Honestly, I don't think Amazon wants a Marketplace anymore for third-party sellers.

Adam Tyner 10-30-18 02:14 PM

Coming next week!

The leaked Target ad for next week lists season 2 (with more VHS-style packaging) for $24.99 on Blu-ray and $29.99 on Ultra HD Blu-ray.

No word yet on if the UHD BD release includes Dolby Vision (or any flavor of HDR) or lossless audio.

clappj 10-30-18 02:35 PM

Sorry about the shite quality image!

http://www.freestufffinder.com/ads/w.../Tg-114-10.jpg

Mike86 10-30-18 02:45 PM

Probably won’t buy it right away since the first one dropped in price fast.

DthRdrX 10-30-18 03:51 PM

The first was 9.99 in no time. I wouldn't touch this for awhile.

mattysemo247 10-30-18 04:25 PM

Some stores still have the first one for $7 if you check around in Brickseek

Mike86 10-30-18 05:38 PM

With season one last year I think it came out in late October for around $25 or so and was $10 by Black Friday.

hdnmickey 10-30-18 07:03 PM

Yup, count me in as one of those that paid far too much for the 1st season. Wish I would have held out for $10 or less. No way I repeat the same mistake. But I sure am glad they are doing the same packaging exclusive for S2.

Josh-da-man 10-31-18 01:28 AM

Whether or not the price on Stranger Things season two drops will probably depend on whether or they press fifty million copies of it like they did for season one.

Alan Smithee 10-31-18 03:09 AM

I got completely screwed on that, as the week it was out there were only 2 copies left in the store so I bought one for $30. I thought those were all that were going to be made. But then tons more showed up, they put out a 4K disc which I would've rather bought, and the price for all of them dropped to less than half the original price. I'll wait this time.

Incidentally, Mill Creek has been putting out a number of Blu-Rays with packaging made to look like VHS tapes. Haven't seen any myself but I love the idea- just wish they'd make them look exactly like the originals.

Hazel Motes 10-31-18 03:56 AM

I was starting to think this wasn't going to happen. However, considering they are practically giving away season 1 at this point, I doubt they press anywhere close to the same amount for season 2. I might buy it right away and keep it unopened until Black Friday to see if I can return it and buy it at the lower price. But if not I can live with paying 24.99 for a 4k tv season with collectible packaging.