DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Best/Worst 4K UHDs you have seen (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/643483-best-worst-4k-uhds-you-have-seen.html)

Michael Corvin 04-03-18 10:00 PM

Re: Best/Worst 4K UHDs you have seen

I haven't been too impressed with Netflix's 4k offerings. What I've watched hasn't been bad, but nothing seems remotely on par with any given 4K disc I've watched.

melasnus 04-04-18 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Sonic (Post 13300914)
I thought T2 was a disaster reading some of the negative reviews. :confused:

I have the disk, but haven't given it a proper look yet.
Will do and report back.

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 13303005)
I haven't been too impressed with Netflix's 4k offerings. What I've watched hasn't been bad, but nothing seems remotely on par with any given 4K disc I've watched.

Have you tried Marco Polo?
It's impressive visually and a fascinating series to boot.

melasnus 04-08-18 01:50 AM

Watched the 4k HDR disk of Alien: Covenant tonite: superb UHD video.
Excellent resolution, as clear and pristine as anything you could ask for.

What really distinguishes this release from other UHDs I have seen is the fantastic black levels...no crushing worth talking about.
The ability to see into the furthest corners of very darkly lit scenes/frames clearly is thrilling.
I have never seen anything like this in my HT before.

Although shot on Arri Alexa cameras and capable of up to 4K resolution, the master is only a 2K digital intermediate.
In spite of using a non-4K master, it is a UHD worthly of showing off one's 4k HT to others.

The palette is mostly gray/teal and orange.
However, there are outbursts here and there of spectacular, contrasting color.

If comparing the UHD to the BD, there simply is no comparison.
The BD is very fine, but this UHD blows it away.

The audio is a bit subdued IMO.
It is rarely bombastic, over-the-top.
And IMO, it works very well.

I won't address the content of Alien: Covenant here, but will later in the appropriate thread.

FWIW, I have the 4k UHD Prometheus coming soon and will report back on that.

JimRochester 04-08-18 06:37 AM

I have both Saving Private Ryan and Jurassic Park collection UHD on pre-order. I'm debating since I've already purchased both titles several times. SPR is quadruple dip already, the DD, then DTS, then SE, then BR. JP looks stunning in BR. Hard to imagine they can be better.

melasnus 04-17-18 02:14 AM

I took a look at the Prometheus 4K tonite.
Very impressive...definitely worth the upgrade for fans of the film.
What comes thru most of all is the HDR.
The movie's palette is mostly grays and blues.
With HDR, the other colors really pop out and give the film a very different look.
At times, it's almost startling.

Also, with the better contrast and brightness more can seen in the shadows of the sets used than the BD reveals and makes for a more satisfying viewing experience IMO.

Because this is an upconvert to 4K from 2K (although a VERY good one), some of the CGI doesn't look right.
For example, the tops of the containers of the black ooze as they come "alive" doesn't look right.
That aside, 5K cameras were used and their excellence can be seen throughout this disk.

The UHD disk can be had at a good price and is worth a purchase for fans of this intriguing movie.

PhantomStranger 04-22-18 02:31 PM

It can only be had in Japan for a princely sum, but many people are saying that the Your Name. UHD has some of the best HDR available on the format. The normal Blu-ray for the anime movie looks fantastic, so I can only imagine it's great.

Dan 04-22-18 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 13315704)
It can only be had in Japan for a princely sum, but many people are saying that the Your Name. UHD has some of the best HDR available on the format. The normal Blu-ray for the anime movie looks fantastic, so I can only imagine it's great.

I picked that one up a few months ago, but haven't tried it on my HDR set. I'll do that soon. :D

melasnus 04-26-18 05:31 PM

After reading an online review, I ordered the Saving Private Ryan 4K release.
Release date = May 8th.
Very excited about this one.

It's a movie originally shot on 35mm film with spherical lenses.
For this release, a native 4K master was created from film's original negative. :thumbsup:
It was given color grades in both HDR10 and Dolby Vision (sorry, I don't have a Dolby Vision display...yet).
AND according to the reviewer I read, it looks absolutely incredible.:D2:

I will post a review as soon as I receive it.

Josh Z 04-26-18 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by melasnus (Post 13319068)
After reading an online review, I ordered the Saving Private Ryan 4K release.
Release date = May 8th.
Very excited about this one.

It's a movie originally shot on 35mm film with spherical lenses.
For this release, a native 4K master was created from film's original negative. :thumbsup:
It was given color grades in both HDR10 and Dolby Vision (sorry, I don't have a Dolby Vision display...yet).
AND according to the reviewer I read, it looks absolutely incredible.:D2:

I'm rather dubious about the prospect of this movie being given an HDR grade. Originally, the prints (not the negative, but the theatrical prints themselves) were subjected to the Bleach Bypass process, which deliberately produces a washed-out, faded appearance with desaturated colors for stylistic effect - basically, the exact opposite of HDR.

Rypro 525 04-27-18 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Z (Post 13319230)
I'm rather dubious about the prospect of this movie being given an HDR grade. Originally, the prints (not the negative, but the theatrical prints themselves) were subjected to the Bleach Bypass process, which deliberately produces a washed-out, faded appearance with desaturated colors for stylistic effect - basically, the exact opposite of HDR.

yeah, it would be weird if the 4k version ends up being well very colorful.

Sonic 04-27-18 01:30 AM

It doesn't seem by this review that 4K SPR is colorful except the blood, fire etc

The review describes the entire image presentation as muted.

http://thedigitalbits.com/item/savin...an-20th-uhd-bd

melasnus 04-27-18 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Sonic (Post 13319391)
It doesn't seem by this review that 4K SPR is colorful except the blood, fire etc

The review describes the entire image presentation as muted.

http://thedigitalbits.com/item/savin...an-20th-uhd-bd

It has always looked "muted" in all the presentations I have seen.
IMO, it's perfect that way...especially after growing up watching all of those WW2 docs, etc. in black and white.
It's obvious that is what SS was trying to replicate in his film.
As far as the HDR grading goes, I'll reserve judgement until after I see it.

mattysemo247 04-29-18 05:27 PM

SPR got a solid review

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Saving...200172/#Review

Michael Corvin 04-29-18 06:35 PM

I was kinda disappointed in Coco(watched it last weekend). It's a super colorful movie but it didn't "wow" me like some other movies.

PhantomStranger 05-04-18 01:51 PM

Apparently the Peter Rabbit UHD is mildly disappointing compared to the Blu-ray.

http://doblu.com/2018/05/02/peter-ra...lu-ray-review/

EinCB 05-04-18 02:03 PM

If you're interested in Best Buy's 4K steel book for Saving Private Ryan, supposedly it only comes with the 4K disc.

Sonic 05-04-18 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by EinCB (Post 13325003)
If you're interested in Best Buy's 4K steel book for Saving Private Ryan, supposedly it only comes with the 4K disc.

Hell yeah! No bonus disc, no other crap just the flick. I might grab this one though I would have to eat that price.

melasnus 05-05-18 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 (Post 13321190)

Can't wait to see it.:)

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 13321229)
I was kinda disappointed in Coco(watched it last weekend). It's a super colorful movie but it didn't "wow" me like some other movies.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 13324989)
Apparently the Peter Rabbit UHD is mildly disappointing compared to the Blu-ray.

http://doblu.com/2018/05/02/peter-ra...lu-ray-review/

I'm not sure just how much animated films would benefit from HDR.
To begin with, the BDs are colorful already.
In fact, eye-poppingly so most of the time.
There isn't any shadow detail to speak of either.
I dunno...I just don't see much benefit (excuse the pun).:shrug:

melasnus 05-08-18 05:12 PM

Received SPR today and will take a look tonite.-biggrin-

Sonic 05-08-18 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by melasnus (Post 13327710)
Received SPR today and will take a look tonite.-biggrin-

Hope you enjoy it. :D I read a few reviews that say it looks spectacular and blows out the blu-ray version.

melasnus 05-09-18 01:55 AM

And it really does look "spectacular.":D2:

Although I only did a quick comparison, the upgrade over the older Sapphire Series BD release is substantial.
The detail of the BD was very good, unfortunately it did not handle the grain very well and it had compression problems.
With the UHD, artifacts are greatly reduced and grain, in general, is very nicely done.

What really stands out to me with this disk is 2 things: the big increase in dimensionality and the HDR.
What I mean by "dimensionality" is DEPTH to the point it looks like a faux 3D in some ways.
The BD looks mostly flat, but this UHD's depth makes the video come alive like never before.
HDR's added color range also makes the video "come alive."
The 2 together make quite an impression in my HT.

Fans of the movie shouldn't hesitate about upgrading to this UHD release...it's a no-brainer and delivers the goods for discriminating enthusiasts.

TheMovieman 05-09-18 09:18 AM

I agree. SPR looked and sounded incredible.

Sonic 05-09-18 07:26 PM

Best Buy needs to lower that SPR Steelbook from $27.99 to $14.99. -ohbfrank-

Considering it's only the feature disc and not the regular set that comes with 3 discs.

JimRochester 05-10-18 05:01 AM

I did not do an A/B comparison however I watched a few scenes of SPR last night and it is reference quality. The opening scene was always a workout for the surrounds however if it's possible, the audio is even better on this release.

melasnus 05-10-18 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z (Post 13319230)

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 (Post 13319389)
yeah, it would be weird if the 4k version ends up being well very colorful.

It isn't "colorful" and still looks "washed out."
It's more of a fuller (for lack of a better word) palette, giving the film a more natural, organic look without compromising Spielberg's original design aesthetics IMO.