Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Matrix 4K Ultra HD on May 22, 2018

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Matrix 4K Ultra HD on May 22, 2018

Old 05-14-18, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 323 Likes on 245 Posts
Re: The Matrix 4K Ultra HD on May 22, 2018

Looks like this is free of the “Green-izing” that plagued the last HD release, but the review doesn’t say for sure. Wonder why they didn’t release them whole series at once, seeing as how some people don’t even like the sequels and wouldn’t buy them separately. Also wondering if my HD-DVD set has rotted yet...
Old 05-14-18, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Looks like this is free of the “Green-izing” that plagued the last HD release, but the review doesn’t say for sure. Wonder why they didn’t release them whole series at once, seeing as how some people don’t even like the sequels and wouldn’t buy them separately. Also wondering if my HD-DVD set has rotted yet...
You know how this will play-out. Buy the first movie and if you want the sequels, you'll have to buy the whole 3-pack set.

I watched my Matrix HD-DVD about a month ago and it still worked fine. I'm wondering if all of those Warner rejects were defective right from the plant or whether time has caused them to rot.

Any Warner titles I've had were bad right from the first play. I've never had one play perfectly well and then not.

Maybe if they haven't rotted by this point, they may never rot - at least within a reasonable time-span.
Old 05-14-18, 03:23 PM

I have several Warner HD-DVDs that were fine when I first played them, but now either freeze up or won't even load at all- and I tried them on multiple players. Last time I watched The Matrix it froze up in the middle on one player but played all the way through on another.

Yep, I can imagine the sequels only being available on 4K as a 3-pack, so you'll have to buy the first one again if you buy this one.
Old 05-14-18, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Looks like this is free of the “Green-izing” that plagued the last HD release.
So what color are we getting because the Matrix world is greenish.
Old 05-16-18, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Jesus fucking christ what a horrible cover on the case

Old 05-16-18, 10:54 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Who gives a shit about that cover as long as they get the remaster right. And it sounds like they did. Based on the review, it sounds like reference material. And I’ve never read a review for a UHD get a 100 for the Atmos sound.

http://www.avsforum.com/matrix-ultra-hd-blu-ray-review/
Old 05-16-18, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The cover on the slipcase is bad ass. I hope down the line they release a steelbook version.
Old 05-17-18, 12:00 AM

Remember that Best Buy steelbook with the fetus-farm picture? That was pretty ugly.

As a purist, I have to object a bit to the remixing of the sound for Atmos as that didn't exist when this movie was released. They should include the original 5.1 mix as well (and maybe it does, I don't know.)
Old 05-17-18, 08:29 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

If the new Atmos works, then it works. And if there’s any movie that could benefit from a remastered mix in Atmos, it’s this movie. Sure, throw in the original mix. I do like those for older movies, but I’m really excited for the new mix for this one.
Old 05-18-18, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Solid review. Looks reference quality

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Ma...198328/#Review
Old 05-18-18, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

One of the recurrent criticisms of the Matrix's original Blu-ray (and, before it, the DVD) was the pervasiveness and intensity of the green tint cast over the "data" world. The 4K disc effectively addresses such complaints by fine-tuning the green cast and limiting its reach. The difference is evident from the opening Warner Brothers and Village Roadshow logos, which were previously solid green and are now a combination of green with black-and-white. The refinements continue in the signature opening sequence where Trinity fights the police and flees the agents. The environment still has multiple green elements, but now other hues are also visible, including a few blues. The stylized wash that used to cover every shot is no more. For a particularly revealing example, look at the scene where Agent Smith rams a truck into the phone booth through which Trinity makes her escape (see screenshot 38). Only the phone booth is green, while the smoke surrounding the truck is a combination of white and blue—and the pavement looks like authentic city asphalt with just a few tell-tale green highlights. To borrow Jan Yarbrough's phrase, green is "ever present"—but it isn't everywhere.
I might buy this now, at least if it falls to $20.
Old 05-22-18, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I was hoping this might drop in price for release day, but it seems to be $31.99 everywhere still. Anyone see it for less?
Old 05-22-18, 12:46 PM
Political Exile

Received 474 Likes on 315 Posts

yeah, I'm holding out on Matrix and Gladiator until I see one of those 3 for $50 Amazon deals or something in that price range. I held out on the Nolan titles and got them at that price. I just have to be patient with the catalog titles.
Old 05-22-18, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Best buy raised the price to $34.99

Ridiculous
Old 05-22-18, 02:13 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,178 Likes on 833 Posts

That's some bull shit.
I want this, but I'll wait until it's $20.
Old 05-22-18, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan
That's some bull shit.
I want this, but I'll wait until it's $20.
I'm waiting for the trilogy set and hoping they use slim cases. Nice little neat box. *crosses fingers*

Many are raving about the amazing transfer the 4K disc got. It's like seeing the Matrix for the first time all over again if not better than the theatrical presentation as more details are seen thanks to the high resolution of 4K.

But I really hate that fucking rabbit cover on the blu case. It's an insult. How they didn't put the original artwork is beyond me. Also the regular blu-ray disc inside apparently got a horrible transfer it's just taking up space and adding more to the price we have to pay. I guess it can be used as a coaster for drinks. Fucking Warner.
Old 05-23-18, 09:28 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sonic
I'm waiting for the trilogy set and hoping they use slim cases. Nice little neat box. *crosses fingers*
The only reason I don't want a box set is because all these UHD discs I buy are going to end up in a binder anyway, and I'd prefer to be able to put the cover insert into the binder, too. I have two UHD steelbook cases that I actually regret buying because of this...

Many are raving about the amazing transfer the 4K disc got. It's like seeing the Matrix for the first time all over again if not better than the theatrical presentation as more details are seen thanks to the high resolution of 4K.
Yup. Unfortunately, the screencaps that have been provided have been misleading. To my knowledge, they're off-screen photographs, so they look more blown-out (because of the HDR) than you would expect to see in real life watching the disc yourself.

But I really hate that fucking rabbit cover on the blu case. It's an insult. How they didn't put the original artwork is beyond me. Also the regular blu-ray disc inside apparently got a horrible transfer it's just taking up space and adding more to the price we have to pay. I guess it can be used as a coaster for drinks. Fucking Warner.
Agreed about the rabbit, and yeah... I've also heard the BD is fucked. Something about down-converting the UHD, but not adjusting for BD's limited brightness? I don't know... either way... much like when DVDs were included in BD releases, including a BD with the UHD is of no value to me personally. Excluding the releases that have a 3D BD (since there's no 3D 4K discs), I wonder what the true demand is for such things. I expect it'd be pretty damn low.
Old 05-23-18, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 252 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
I've also heard the BD is fucked. Something about down-converting the UHD, but not adjusting for BD's limited brightness?
Is the transfer supposedly too dark or something?
Old 05-23-18, 11:53 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Is the transfer supposedly too dark or something?
The opposite, I think?

The screencaps on blu-ray dot com are from the new remastered BD, even though they're part of the 4K review. I expect this is because of limitations with capturing 4K video digitally.
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Ma...8/#Screenshots
"Screenshots accompanying this review are taken from the remastered 1080p standard Blu-ray."

In this particular shot (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/screen...28&position=30) the sky is completely washed out.
This original BD screencap (http://images3.static-bluray.com/rev...80_2_1080p.jpg) with too much green, at least has a sky you can see.

My understanding is that the UHD does not exhibit the same issue as the remastered BD screenshot... and that's only one example of some weirdness going on with these.

As I'm sure you'll agree, any/all of these screenshots are suspect, but reports from actual people with the UHD seem to say that it does not look like what the Blu-ray dot com screenshots look like.

One user on another forum:
Like, here's a really crude but solid example of the grade at play. Please do not use this as any kind of clear example of what the final UHD looks like. These were taken on a phone and obviously aren't handling the contrasts/luminance very well. But you can see the colour changes relative to the previous version. The UHD retains the green ambiance, but Neo's skin tones are a lot more natural and don't disappear so much into the background. You can also see some magentas and browns pop up in the back there too. It's not just a green haze. There's also generally more contrast. The UHD is happy to keep a lot of its information in those really dark shadow areas.
UHD: https://i.imgur.com/NyIHZYI.jpg
2004 BD: https://i.imgur.com/fvO00ui.jpg
(he didn't screen cap the new BD, though)
Old 05-23-18, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 252 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
The screencaps on blu-ray dot com are from the new remastered BD, even though they're part of the 4K review. I expect this is because of limitations with capturing 4K video digitally.
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Ma...8/#Screenshots
"Screenshots accompanying this review are taken from the remastered 1080p standard Blu-ray."
Are those real screenshots or phone-pointed-at-the-screen photos? Many of them are not just blown out but are simply out of focus too. The one with the girl in the red dress and the one with Cypher shooting the cannon thing are horrid! It's hard to believe that could really be what the disc looks like.

As I'm sure you'll agree, any/all of these screenshots are suspect, but reports from actual people with the UHD seem to say that it does not look like what the Blu-ray dot com screenshots look like.
I made the mistake of poking my head into the forum on that site. Of course people are losing their minds over this, some of them threatening suicide over what a travesty has been made of their favorite movie.
Old 05-23-18, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner
You know how this will play-out. Buy the first movie and if you want the sequels, you'll have to buy the whole 3-pack set.

I watched my Matrix HD-DVD about a month ago and it still worked fine. I'm wondering if all of those Warner rejects were defective right from the plant or whether time has caused them to rot.

Any Warner titles I've had were bad right from the first play. I've never had one play perfectly well and then not.

Maybe if they haven't rotted by this point, they may never rot - at least within a reasonable time-span.
Has to do with the sealing of the disc materials. If just a micro-small opening is present, the oxygen will "rust" the disc in a period of a few years.

I have many HD DVDs that are just fine. Probably will last another 10 years until I figure out what to do with them.

But yeah, I'd say, right out of the manufacturing plant, they were defective.
Old 05-25-18, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I see this dropped to $24.99 at Amazon. Agh, so tempted.
Old 06-03-18, 02:06 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

$21.99 at Best Buy now.
Old 06-03-18, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The most I'll pay is $14.99. I cannot believe this disc sold for $31.99
Old 06-04-18, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

D'oh, I ended up buying it at $24.99. Oh well.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.