Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

STAR WARS (THE LAST JEDI): 4K Ultra HD / Blu-ray ~ March 27

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

STAR WARS (THE LAST JEDI): 4K Ultra HD / Blu-ray ~ March 27

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-18, 08:16 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: STAR WARS (THE LAST JEDI): 4K Ultra HD / Blu-ray

Originally Posted by melasnus
since the theatrical release of star wars (before it was renamed "a new hope") in 1977, i have been a big fan.
I've watched the ot dozens of times over the years.
I'm not alone here...many old farts like me have kept their lightsabers lit too.

Then came the announcement there would finally, after 30+ years, be a completion of the skywalker saga with ep. 7,8,9.
Jedi around the old empire counted down the months, weeks, hours, until ep.7 debuted.
Everything seemed just right: The old cast, a filmmaker who loved the material, a big budget, john williams, ilm, many of the original artists from various filmmaking disciplines.
I can recall there was a bit of concern from some of the jedi masters regarding whether or not disney would allow the new trilogy to retain the lucasfilm touch...the magic that made the movies a cultural phenomenon nearly everywhere in the world for decades.
After reading some of the misgivings some had, i couldn't go there and convinced myself having disney behind the project would, ultimately, be a plus.

I really, really wanted/hoped/prayed ep.7 would knock my cloak off.
It didn't.
I sat in the theater while it played grinding my teeth and silently cursing jj abrams ancestors and descendants and wishing i had disney stock so i could sell it when i got home that night.
It was a stunningly unabashed sellout; a big cash grab by disney.
The force awakens is an uninspired repeat of the greatest hits of the original trilogy.

Still, i held out hope the last jedi would wipe the memory of its predecessor from this old jedi's mind.
To be fair, it is better than tfa, but that's like saying pig crap smells better than chicken crap (hint: It's still crap).
I won't bother seeing ep.9...

Sadly, the great skywalker story that thrilled millions for so long, that deserved the epic conclusion of the ages ends with a ignoble thud (the sound of animal shit hitting a 30 ft. Tall movie screen).
k
Old 01-22-18, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 617 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Is there a region free link up for sale?
Yes. At Amazon UK and Zavvi.
Old 01-22-18, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

So just one copy of each variant release instead of two, melasnus?
Old 01-22-18, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Like TFA, think I'll stick with the standard release.

BB will have those steelbooks sitting on the shelf for ages, just like TFA.
Old 01-22-18, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you for the suggestion...I'll move it there.
Old 01-22-18, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws

BB will have those steelbooks sitting on the shelf for ages, just like TFA.
You never really know with BB Steelbooks. People said the same thing about Rouge One, but those were gone almost instantly.
Old 01-22-18, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Yeah they really, really overestimated demand for those TFA steelbooks, they were basically clearancing them out, I doubt they make the same mistake with TLJ.
Old 01-22-18, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

The Rogue One steelbook was the only way to get it in 3D in the US, other than importing. I didn't buy Force Awakens til the 3D edition came out later.
Old 01-22-18, 11:16 PM
Banned by request

No, there was also this one.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Rogue-...u-ray/174416/#
Old 01-23-18, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

And the Target release sat around warming shelves for months.
Old 01-23-18, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
And the Target release sat around warming shelves for months.
Same with their The Force Awakens exclusive. Hopefully this Las Jedi one is different.

Anybody seen detailed pictures of what the standard BD release of The Last Jedi looks like? I felt the standard version of The Force Awakens, with it's different artwork for the slipcover, poster for the inner cover, was the best looking package.
Old 01-23-18, 09:39 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
yeah, i was going to say. matches the TFA 3D pretty well which is why i'll get Target version for TLJ...
Old 01-30-18, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldBoy
yeah, i was going to say. matches the TFA 3D pretty well which is why i'll get Target version for TLJ...
Except Target's version of TLJ looks like it's either a standard Blu-ray case with slipcover combined with the 40-page book OR the terrible packaging they used for their original, exclusive release of TFA.

As it stands now, there's no packaging that matches the 3D version of TFA and Target's 3D exclusive of Rogue One.
Old 02-20-18, 09:38 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Writer/Director Rian Johnson takes fans behind the scenes, revealing production secrets and never-before-seen footage and deleted scenes

BURBANK, Calif. (February 20, 2018) — Lucasfilm’s Star Wars: The Last Jedi—the next action-packed chapter of the Star Wars saga— Earned critical acclaim and the No. 1 spot atop 2017’s list of highest-grossing films. The visually stunning film welcomes the return of original characters, including Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, Chewbacca, Yoda, R2-D2 and C-3PO and further explores the deepening journey of the saga’s new members, Rey, Finn, Poe, and Kylo Ren. Now families can bring home the movie digitally in HD and 4K Ultra HD™ and via Movies Anywhere on March 13, two weeks before the 4K Ultra HD™ Blu-ray, and Blu-ray™ disc on March 27. This release also marks Disney’s first title available on 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray disc in both Dolby Vision™ HDR and Dolby Atmos® immersive audio, delivering consumers a transformative viewing experience.

Director Rian Johnson takes fans on an intimate journey into the creation of Star Wars: The Last Jedi in a feature-length documentary, explaining his unique interpretation of the Force, detailing the painstaking process of creating Snoke, and deconstructing action-packed scenes from the film such as the epic space battle and the final confrontation. Johnson also reveals two exclusive scenes, featuring Andy Serkis as Snoke prior to his digital makeover, as well as 14 never-before-seen deleted scenes, in addition to his audio commentary.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi is packaged several ways to ensure fans get the most out of their in-home viewing experience. The Multiscreen Edition (formerly the Blu-ray Combo Pack) includes Blu-ray, and a Digital copy, giving viewers the flexibility to watch the film on different devices. Those with 4K Ultra HD capability may opt for a 4K UHD Collector’s Edition, including 4K Ultra HD disc with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, Blu-ray disc, and a digital copy (where available). Dolby Vision delivers greater brightness and contrast, as well as a fuller palette of rich colors. Dolby Atmos places and moves audio anywhere in the room, including overhead. Together on 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray disc, viewers will practically feel the Force in their own home.

THE LATEST CHAPTER IN THE SAGA ARRIVES MARCH 13 ON DIGITAL AND MARCH 27 ON BLU-RAY 4K ULTRA HD, BLU-RAY, AND ON-DEMAND.

The Director and the Jedi – Go deep behind the scenes with writer-director Rian Johnson on an intimate and personal journey through the production of the movie—and experience what it’s like to helm a global franchise and cultural phenomenon.

Balance of the Force – Explore the mythology of the Force and why Rian Johnson chose to interpret its role in such a unique way.

Scene Breakdowns
Lighting the Spark: Creating the Space Battle – Get a close-up look at the epic space battle, from the sounds that help propel the action, through the practical and visual effects, to the characters who bring it all to life.

Snoke and Mirrors – Motion capture and Star Wars collide as the filmmakers take us through the detailed process of creating the movie’s malevolent master villain.

Showdown on Crait – Break down everything that went into creating the stunning world seen in the movie’s final confrontation, including the interplay between real-word locations and visual effects, reimagining the walkers, designing the crystal foxes, and much more.

Andy Serkis Live! (One Night Only) – Writer-director Rian Johnson presents two exclusive sequences from the movie featuring Andy Serkis’ riveting, raw on-set performance before his digital makeover into Snoke.

Deleted Scenes – With an introduction and optional commentary by writer-director Rian Johnson.
Audio Commentary – View the movie with in-depth feature audio commentary by writer-director Rian Johnson.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi will come in a variety of packages, including the Multi-screen Edition (includes Blu-ray and a Digital copy), the 4K Ultra HD Collector’s Edition (including 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, and a Digital copy), and Best Buy and Target retailer exclusives. The 4K Ultra HD version features the extraordinary color, contrast, and brightness of Dolby Vision High Dynamic Range, paired with fully immersive picture and sound with Dolby Atmos audio

DISC SPECIFICATIONS:
FEATURE RUN TIME: Approximately 152 min.
RATING: PG-13 in U.S.; PG in CE; PG in CF
ASPECT RATIO: 2.39:1
AUDIO:
4K UHD (US): English 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos; English 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus; English 2.0 Descriptive Audio, Spanish 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus

4K UHD (Canada): English 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos; English 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus; English 2.0 Descriptive Audio, French 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus

Blu-ray: English 7.1 DTS-HDMA, English 2.0 Descriptive Audio, French and Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital Language Tracks

DVD: English 5.1 Dolby Digital, English 2.0 Descriptive Audio, French and Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital Language Tracks

Digital 4K UHD: English Dolby Atmos (where available), English 7.1 Dolby Digital (where available), English, French & Spanish 5.1 Dolby

Digital, English 2.0 Descriptive Audio (where available)

Digital HD: English, French & Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital, English 2.0 Descriptive Audio (where available)
SUBTITLES:
UHD / BD: English SDH, French & Spanish

DVD: English SDH, French & Spanish

Digital: English SDH, English Closed Caption, French & Spanish (where available)

~~

Dolby Vision on the actual disc ... from Disney Home Video ?!? wow!
Old 02-20-18, 09:46 AM
Banned by request

Re: STAR WARS (THE LAST JEDI): 4K Ultra HD / Blu-ray ~ March 27

Ha, there hasn’t been a lot of DV discs in general, but that’s cool this will have it, and with Atmos to boot. I just wish I liked the movie more.
Old 02-20-18, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I think I’ll just get the regular Blu-ray when it’s out. I typically don’t go for exclusives. I might be tempted to get the 4K if the price is low enough just in case I upgrade my setup at some point.
Old 02-20-18, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is gonna be the first time I splurge and get the Best Buy 4K steelbook and the Target exclusive Blu.
Old 02-20-18, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

So only the steelbook and the target edition have a DVD along with digital? Looks like the standard editions are just blu and digital (or 4k and digital).
Old 02-20-18, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

I was hoping for fourteen deleted scenes of nothing but Rose.
Old 02-20-18, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
So only the steelbook and the target edition have a DVD along with digital? Looks like the standard editions are just blu and digital (or 4k and digital).
Looking at the artwork, you get the regular blu ray with the 4K version, and just the digital copy with the blu ray edition. It kinda sucks Disney is now going this route too. My kids still get a ton of use out of the DVDs when included.

Also, what the fuck is "multi screen edition"
Old 02-20-18, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

4K artwork from Blu-Ray.com. It's the same artwork is the BD.

I wonder how many of the OCD freaks here are still going to buy this even though they claim they hated it just because they need to have every Star Wars movie on disc.
Old 02-20-18, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I was hoping for fourteen deleted scenes of nothing but Rose.
Maybe she'll actually do something interesting in one of them.
Old 02-20-18, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Looking at the artwork, you get the regular blu ray with the 4K version, and just the digital copy with the blu ray edition. It kinda sucks Disney is now going this route too. My kids still get a ton of use out of the DVDs when included.

Also, what the fuck is "multi screen edition"
Same here with the kids and DVD. Not sure why they are leaving it out...
Old 02-20-18, 07:31 PM
Banned by request

For me, these days it’s just easier to have a digital copy than a DVD. We have a Roku stick we take everywhere and have it in the kids game room, and they use the tablets when we travel. Makes total sense to drop the DVD, and Disney gets to pimp Movies Anywhere.
Old 02-20-18, 07:35 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Zavvi 3D Steel for me. i have the others in 3D and since no US release on this all of a sudden, what the hell...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.