Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Stranger Things. 10-17-17. In a VHS box. (Ultra HD Blu-ray on the way!)

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Stranger Things. 10-17-17. In a VHS box. (Ultra HD Blu-ray on the way!)

Old 10-17-17, 09:12 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts
re: Stranger Things. 10-17-17. In a VHS box. (Ultra HD Blu-ray on the way!)

Got my copy this morning. Didn't check what features are on it, though.

It wasn't actually on the shelf (someone had to grab me a copy from the back) but it was very clear where it was going to go. It was one of those "short" displays in the DVD section... the ones that usually have all the 4K/UHD discs and new releases on them. NOT an endcap, and NOT a cardboard display.
Old 10-17-17, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 910 Likes on 645 Posts

Similar story from my wife, who picked it up for me. None on display. The employee had to track down the box in the back to get one.

Seems weird for Target to not have a launch display out on time.

Never seen it, so I'm looking forward to seeing what the fuss is all about.
Old 10-17-17, 09:24 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Similar story from my wife, who picked it up for me. None on display. The employee had to track down the box in the back to get one.

Sadly, this is more and more common these days. Back when I worked in retail, we'd put the new releases out on the Monday night, after the store closed. Now, they just do it the morning of release. Considering how few people seem to walk in right when they open (there were 6 people waiting when I got there, and I was the only one looking for this), it makes sense that they wouldn't get employees to stay longer on Mondays just to set it up.
Old 10-17-17, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,875 Likes on 1,235 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Sadly, this is more and more common these days.
Yeah, when I went to Target last Tuesday morning to pick up Baby Driver, literally not a single new release was on the shelves. The new release rack had largely been emptied out but still was almost completely Pirates of the Caribbean UPCs/stickers in front of those empty slots. A bunch of other people across the country related similar experiences on another forum, and it's not the first time I've ran into that at Target either.
Old 10-17-17, 09:37 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Yeah, when I went to Target last Tuesday morning to pick up Baby Driver, literally not a single new release was on the shelves. The new release rack had largely been emptied out but still was almost completely Pirates of the Caribbean UPCs/stickers in front of those empty slots. A bunch of other people across the country related similar experiences on another forum, and it's not the first time I've ran into that at Target either.
My Target usually has many employees stocking at 7/8am. I don't know if they do much in the 'overnight' stocking anymore. I'm there every day getting Coffee and rarely are the new releases out on the shelves by the time they open (there are empty spots and tags - just no movies). If there is a display standee those are usually up.

They at least had the SNES Mini's available first thing!
Old 10-17-17, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Got my copy this morning. Didn't check what features are on it, though.

It wasn't actually on the shelf (someone had to grab me a copy from the back) but it was very clear where it was going to go. It was one of those "short" displays in the DVD section... the ones that usually have all the 4K/UHD discs and new releases on them. NOT an endcap, and NOT a cardboard display.
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

It was very common to have to ask for the DC steelbook exclusives at my store early on Tuesday mornings. Seems that many stores don't even start putting out new stock until later the same morning.

I should have figured they would be on those "short" normal shelves due to them not fitting in their standard plastic jails, and therefore would not fit on the "new release" end cap display.
Old 10-17-17, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Ordered one on the site in case they don't have them at local store. Anybody know where they are putting these so we can go right to them once we get to the store? I assume the usual big cardboard display at the front will be for Spider-Man.
I frequent a store that always does a great job of stocking new releases before Tuesday morning. Probably a half-dozen copies were put in the small new release point-of-purchase area near the checkout lanes, and about 20 were lining the top of the new release island in the main media section.
Old 10-17-17, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plenty of copies up by the registers and back in the media area when the doors opened. I never have that problem at Target. Now Walmart, I've walked in 2 hours after they open and then had to wait for them to go in the back and get new releases. Once they even told me they wouldn't check for me and told me I had to come back later (so I went to Target!).

I cannot believe that there's about 5 minutes of FORCED trailers on disc one!!! Several for Season 2. which I don't want to see because I hate spoilers (really sucks for anyone who is watching Season 1 for the first time), and one for The Defenders. I couldn't do anything on my PS3 to FF or skip or go to the menu until all 4 were done. You do get a resume option when you return to the disc but jeez!!!

No other extras is very disappointing. Oh well, the packaging is still cool.
Old 10-17-17, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by goblin23
Plenty of copies up by the registers and back in the media area when the doors opened. I never have that problem at Target. Now Walmart, I've walked in 2 hours after they open and then had to wait for them to go in the back and get new releases. Once they even told me they wouldn't check for me and told me I had to come back later (so I went to Target!).

I cannot believe that there's about 5 minutes of FORCED trailers on disc one!!! Several for Season 2. which I don't want to see because I hate spoilers (really sucks for anyone who is watching Season 1 for the first time), and one for The Defenders. I couldn't do anything on my PS3 to FF or skip or go to the menu until all 4 were done. You do get a resume option when you return to the disc but jeez!!!

No other extras is very disappointing. Oh well, the packaging is still cool.
Thanks for the report. No extras pretty much seals the deal for me - I don't think I need this set at this point, especially since I can stream it in 4K.
Old 10-17-17, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,158 Likes on 4,191 Posts

Forcing trailers for Season 2 is just nuts. Talk about Season 1 spoilers.
Old 10-17-17, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

The images of the fake VHS tape look cooler than I expected. I figured it was just some cardboard thing made to look like a tape but it seems like it's actually plastic molded to look like the real deal.
Old 10-17-17, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
The images of the fake VHS tape look cooler than I expected. I figured it was just some cardboard thing made to look like a tape but it seems like it's actually plastic molded to look like the real deal.
It reminds me of the original 'large box' VHS covers. I was expecting it to look like just a VHS tape with slipcover.
Old 10-17-17, 10:40 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Pretty sure it's not plastic molded. I only looked at it super quickly before heading to work, but I think it's a (high quality) dense cardboard/paper box with a flip out lid that has a magnet to hold it in place.
Old 10-17-17, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 414 Likes on 299 Posts

I got a copy this morning and decided to blind buy this set. The packaging of the VHS is a box similar to the one used for the Lord of the Rings EE bluray set, and has a tray inside holding the blurays and dvds. Also for anyone going to buy it, I would get it during the day today if you can. The Box is too big for the plastic security cases target uses, so they use the spider wire wraps on them that can damage the packaging.
Old 10-17-17, 10:47 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts

no extras to speak of? man that sucks. i don't know now. the packaging is cool and all, but i wanted some extras...
Old 10-17-17, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I got a copy this morning and decided to blind buy this set. The packaging of the VHS is a box similar to the one used for the Lord of the Rings EE bluray set, and has a tray inside holding the blurays and dvds. Also for anyone going to buy it, I would get it during the day today if you can. The Box is too big for the plastic security cases target uses, so they use the spider wire wraps on them that can damage the packaging.
i went at lunch. they had a bunch. none with any kind of security anything...
Old 10-17-17, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Mike86
Not plastic. It's made of thick, heavy cardboard with a pretty darn convincing high-resolution tape design printed on it. For size:

Spoiler:

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i went at lunch. they had a bunch. none with any kind of security anything...
Even their larger plastic security boxes probably wouldn't fit, and I'd hope they would know better than to try and wrap the tight spider security sensors around these things, since the packaging is such a big selling point.
Old 10-17-17, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Even their larger plastic security boxes probably wouldn't fit, and I'd hope they would know better than to try and wrap the tight spider security sensors around these things, since the packaging is such a big selling point.
you think Target cares or even knows to care about such things? they've done it in the past and will continue to do so in the future...
Old 10-17-17, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

you think Target cares or even knows to care about such things? they've done it in the past and will continue to do so in the future...
In this case, yeah, I kinda do. Even though individual stores will do their own things, this is how the set is being billed on their website:

Highlights:

• Stranger Things Collector’s Edition set includes a Blu-ray Disc and a DVD

• Box is designed to look like a VHS tape, bringing a nostalgic twist

• Perfect to gift or display on a shelf

• Target Exclusive
Old 10-17-17, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As I pointed out the plastic security cases don't fit this packaging. There were no copies on the shelf, so I asked the guy working the counter and he got me a copy out of the box. It's a real sturdy box, but when you put those spider wire wraps on them they dig into the packaging.
Old 10-17-17, 11:08 AM

In this case, yeah, I kinda do. Even though individual stores will do their own things, this is how the set is being billed on their website:
that's the corporate big wigs (Netflix) that produced this set for Target. Target in no way has to or will follow these policies if it doesn't suit them...

hey, does this set come with a digital copy code at least?
Old 10-17-17, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No digital copy code is included.
Old 10-17-17, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

hey, does this set come with a digital copy code at least?
Code for a series on Netflix? Seriously?
Old 10-17-17, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
As I pointed out the plastic security cases don't fit this packaging. There were no copies on the shelf, so I asked the guy working the counter and he got me a copy out of the box. It's a real sturdy box, but when you put those spider wire wraps on them they dig into the packaging.
They have two sizes of security boxes, and yeah, I doubt it'd fit in the larger one, either. Unfortunately, I've seen what the those sensors can do to weaker boxes, but I haven't seen them in use at my local store's movie section in quite a while, though. I may have spotted one or two in passing on video games.
Old 10-17-17, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We have our copy. And one coming in the mail eventually since I wasn't sure the store would have any.

They still had 14 copies at our store. No security stuff, on the end cap shelf by the registers.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.