DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Superman: The Motion Picture double feature (theatrical / 3 hr. TV cut) - 10/3/17 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/641390-superman-motion-picture-double-feature-theatrical-3-hr-tv-cut-10-3-17-a.html)

Adam Tyner 09-18-17 12:15 PM

Superman: The Motion Picture double feature (theatrical / 3 hr. TV cut) - 10/3/17

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/image...05754855_1.jpg

SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE - EXTENDED CUT & SPECIAL EDITION 2-FILM COLLECTION (1978,2000)
Run Time 188 Minutes-EXTENDED CUT (NEW 2017 1080p HD MASTER)
151 Minutes-SPECIAL EDITION
Subtitles Spanish, French, English SDH
DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 – English (EXTENDED CUT)
DTS HD-Master Audio 5.1 - English, DOLBY DIGITAL SURROUND 5.1 - French, DOLBY DIGITAL SURROUND 5.1 - Spanish
ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO - 2.40:1, 16 X 9 LETTERBOX
COLOR
2-BD 50
Special Features (on Superman The Special Edition Disc): Commentary by Director Richard Donner and Creative Consultant Tom Mankiewicz; 3 Documentaries Taking Flight: The Development of Superman, Making Superman: Filming the Legend and The Magic Behind the Cape; Screen Tests; Restored Scenes; Additional Scenes; Additional Music Cues; Music-Only Track
Decades before blockbuster Extended Cuts were common, Superman proved a true “Man of Tomorrow.” Superman: The Movie received an ahead-of-its-time makeover for its television premiere – nearly 40 more minutes of story, creating a two-night television event. Audiences had already been swept off their feet by Christopher Reeve’s Last Son of Krypton, and now there was more to enjoy. Unseen in decades, this version is paired here with Richard Donner’s definitive vision of his film, the Special Edition Director’s Cut (2000), to create a supersized celebration of Metropolis’ favorite son that preserves the director’s intent while feeding superfan demands.

DVD Josh 09-18-17 12:37 PM

Re: Superman: The Motion Picture double feature (theatrical / 3 hr. TV cut) - coming

It's funny, this is one of those movies that I saw so many times on TV that when I finally got the DVD I wondered if I had just imagined them. Glad to hear this is coming out, will buy.

DJariya 09-18-17 12:58 PM

Re: Superman: The Motion Picture double feature (theatrical / 3 hr. TV cut) - coming

Wow, I didn't realize there was a 3+ hour TV cut in existence. I thought the 2000 Special Edition was the longest version in existence.

With commercials, was it a 4 hour airing on TV? Good Lord.

Even though I picked up the UK version of the Superman Anthology last year on BD, I may have to get this to be a completist just to see this 3+ hour TV cut.

DVD Josh 09-18-17 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13159062)
Wow, I didn't realize there was a 3+ hour TV cut in existence. I thought the 2000 Special Edition was the longest version in existence.

Even though I picked up the UK version of the Superman Anthology last year on BD, I may have to get this to be a completist just to see this 3+ hour TV cut.

Keep in mind it was extended mostly to accommodate a "special" two night event for its TV release.

Paul_SD 09-18-17 01:16 PM

I'm looking forward to this, but at the same time a little disappointed they aren't including all three versions or at the very least making it the theatrical cut + the ultra extended cut.
I don't think outside of the anthology set, that the theatrical cut has gotten a release, whereas the Directors cut has had several already.

I also heard this was coming via Warner Archive, but that really craptastic jacket art lacks the usual WA branding. I do hope it's via WA as they put a little extra TLC into what matters most with this stuff- the audio and video.

Adam Tyner 09-18-17 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Paul_SD (Post 13159080)
I also heard this was coming via Warner Archive

Yeah, WAC shared it on Facebook.

Mabuse 09-18-17 01:51 PM

Have any of you seen the long tv version? I've always been aware of it, and you can find some vague descriptions of what additions were made, but I've never read or seen a detailed breakdown.

PhantomStranger 09-18-17 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13159062)

Everyone's questions about this extended television cut can be answered at capedwonder.com.

http://www.capedwonder.com/

They have the original ABC promo clips and discuss the extended cut in detail.

I am so happy finally getting this on Blu-ray. UHD would have been sweeter but I won't get greedy. It's one of the first and only movies I bought on bootleg VHS back in the day. The first time I ever saw Superman: The Movie was the ABC broadcast.

milo bloom 09-18-17 03:00 PM

Holy cow this is awesome. All the studios need to get in on this, it might give the home media market a little boost. I know I'd buy good, widescreen Blu of the long version of Star Trek TMP.

DVD Josh 09-18-17 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse (Post 13159124)
Have any of you seen the long tv version? I've always been aware of it, and you can find some vague descriptions of what additions were made, but I've never read or seen a detailed breakdown.

I can tell you it adds very little substantively to movie. Many scenes are just longer cuts or redundant information. The extra bits with Brando and on Krypton are interesting though.

DthRdrX 09-18-17 05:06 PM

This gives me hope for something that is far more valuable ...

Superman 2: The ABC cut.

stingermck 09-18-17 06:01 PM

Sweet Jesus Day 1!

mcnabb 09-18-17 06:14 PM

Wow, I never thought this would see the light of day. Very excited for this!

albert_m 09-18-17 10:09 PM

I just hope this means we get a stand alone Superman 2 release. It's unbelievable that the only one available is not the film that everyone knows.

The Donner cut should have always been an extra.

mwbmis 09-18-17 10:56 PM

Day 1 for me. Won't even wait for the inevitable price drop.

rennervision 09-18-17 11:22 PM

I remember recording both nights on the family VCR and watched it many times. Funny thing is, the only extra parts I recall were later included in the DVD special edition version or as deleted scenes.

JeffTheAlpaca 09-19-17 02:02 AM

I hope the picture quality is better.

I have the original and it looks like a grainy VHS tape on a 65" TV especially the scenes on Krypton.

Geofferson 09-19-17 05:46 PM

I remember we recorded this on VHS when it aired, but those tapes are long gone. I remember watching it, but don't much remember the specifics. There are some clips on Youtube and some scene synopsis breakdowns floating around on fan sites.

Regardless, I'll be putting a pre-order in for this :up:

hdnmickey 09-19-17 05:55 PM

Are the scenes that are exclusively in the TV cut available anywhere in the existing Anthology BD set as extras?

DthRdrX 09-19-17 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by albert_m (Post 13159470)
I just hope this means we get a stand alone Superman 2 release. It's unbelievable that the only one available is not the film that everyone knows.

The Donner cut should have always been an extra.

Given that they have already released the Donner Cut I'm hoping they just release the theatrical with the ABC TV Cut. All I really want is that one. I still have it on Beta but who knows if it will still play. It is awesome.

E Unit 09-19-17 07:12 PM

That is awesome, unless your beta no longer works. Sadly, my laserdisc player finally died recently.

Cardsfan111 09-19-17 07:14 PM

I'm excited about this release. :up:

Michael Corvin 09-19-17 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 13159208)
Holy cow this is awesome. All the studios need to get in on this, it might give the home media market a little boost. I know I'd buy good, widescreen Blu of the long version of Star Trek TMP.

I wish Universal would do this for the Jurassic Park flicks. Pretty sure the first two had longer cuts when they first aired on tv.

Mike86 09-19-17 10:25 PM

I'll probably grab this. I wish it had different cover art but whatever.

Rypro 525 09-19-17 10:59 PM

I'm curious if the Superman the Movie Directors Cut version will have a new transfer or essentially the same one thats on the Ultimate box set?