DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Do you remember all the movies you have? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/641372-do-you-remember-all-movies-you-have.html)

OldBoy 09-16-17 09:23 PM

Do you remember all the movies you have?

I was looking at my collection on DVD Profiler and I was like, I have that on Blu or DVD? huh. I should look at Profiler more closely and find some hidden gems i forgot about. of course we know i've bought a few again bc i didn't remember, but this is different.

do you forgot all the ones you have sometimes?

b2net 09-16-17 09:31 PM

Re: Do you remember all the movies you have?

There was a time I had a pretty good handle on what was there. Somewhere at some point it crossed beyond what can be remembered... Made even worse with the digital portion (those w/o owning the disc also).

GoldenJCJ 09-16-17 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by b2net (Post 13158171)
There was a time I had a pretty good handle on what was there. Somewhere at some point it crossed beyond what can be remembered... Made even worse with the digital portion (those w/o owning the disc also).

I'm sort of the opposite. In my DVD days I lost control of what I had and would often notice a movie I bought that I had forgotten about.

Since I started collecting Blu-rays, I've got a much tighter grip on what I buy. It's rare that I don't remember a movie I've bought nowadays.

Cardsfan111 09-16-17 09:52 PM

I forget at times. That used to bother me, but not so much anymore.

Trevor 09-17-17 12:10 AM

I bet I don't remember 80% of what I own.

Hazel Motes 09-17-17 12:11 AM

I have a pretty good handle on it. I bought Jacob's Ladder twice without realizing until I got home that I already had it. But thats the only time i've done that.

kd5 09-17-17 05:31 AM

I spend time thinking about each one of the movies I buy (except maybe when I go on "a spree" at a flea market which is rare) so I remember probably 99+ % of the movies I own. If I double dip, it's intentional because the copy I own is crap (or like in the case of Mad Max, because I found the blu-ray Collector's Edition in a bargain bin for $7.88 which I couldn't resist, even though I had to think about it for a couple of weeks, then lucked out and found it again). I say 99+ % only because I'm 62 years old and sometimes I forget shit...:p

rw2516 09-17-17 06:52 AM

I know exactly what I have and don't.

Alan Smithee 09-17-17 04:06 PM

I used to remember, but been slipping lately. I need to start a database that I can look up on my phone.

Mike86 09-17-17 04:40 PM

If I'm out and about looking for movies to buy I can remember if I own a film or not normally. I've only bought a duplicate of a Blu-ray once by mistake and it really wasn't something I bought on my own twice. I bought The Muppets when it released and it was also a Disney Movie Club title that I forgot to decline. Other than that other titles I've double dipped on are intentional upgrades.

milo bloom 09-17-17 05:24 PM

More or less. But with over 1500 DVDs and Blus I make sure I use my phone to check Aficionado before I buy anything.

mcnabb 09-17-17 05:57 PM

I'm pretty OCD as I can actually remember dates when major DVD's were released back in the day:

-The Phantom Menace 10/16/01
-The Godfather Trilogy 10/9/01
-Titanic 8/31/99
-The Matrix 9/28/99
-Braveheart 8/29/00
-Forrest Gump 8/28/01
-Ghostbusters 6/29/99

Sorry, that was the heyday of me buying DVD's and checking www.thedigitalbits.com everyday for release information. :lol:

DVD Josh 09-17-17 05:59 PM

No but DVD Profiler does and I bought the app for $3 to help me when I'm out. I'm often surprised at what I do have, lol.

OldBoy 09-17-17 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee (Post 13158510)
I used to remember, but been slipping lately. I need to start a database that I can look up on my phone.

DVD Profiler has that and it's great and so helpful. i find myself in Best Buy sometimes with my phone and look up if i have something...

DthRdrX 09-17-17 06:53 PM

With my collection the thing that really bothers me is when I suddenly think of a specific scene and can't remember which movie it was from! Checking the shelves to jog my memory takes quite a while!

clckworang 09-17-17 07:51 PM

I slip sometimes. What gets me are the label sales, like Criterion and Twilight Time in particular. Their stuff doesn't go on sale too much, so I'll buy more in bulk, which can make it more difficult to remember. Things I tend to buy on more of an individual basis, which is more the norm, I don't have issues remembering.

But like others, I keep my DVD Profiler collection handy on my phone. Speaking of which, is the mobile version worth the extra money? I've always just bookmarked the web page they provide.

asianxcore 09-17-17 08:04 PM

99% of the time I do but once in a while I'll find a film at a used DVD/BD store and ask myself I already own it.

BuckNaked2k 09-17-17 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by rw2516 (Post 13158302)

Me too. I have 736 SKUs, and while I couldn't write them down, I know what I have.

slop101 09-20-17 01:15 PM

I have a ton of shit, and I can recall exactly what I have very well. I've never re-bought anything. Same with all my records and CDs.

tripplej 09-20-17 01:18 PM

I have on several occasion re-purchased something I already owned.. I will need to get that DVD profiler app.

Michael Corvin 09-20-17 05:01 PM

I want to say yes but I'm staring at Firefly in my Amazon cart for $20 and can't remember if I already have the BD or not. :lol:

All my movies are still in boxes from a move.

The Infidel 09-20-17 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by rw2516 (Post 13158302)

Same here. I can't imagine having so many movies in your collection that you wouldn't know. If it gets to that point, it pretty much means there are probably a ton of titles that you've either never watched or have maybe watched once a long time ago and never watched again. I've come to that point a couple times, and thinned out my collection considerably, the first time by about 70, and recently by about another couple dozen.

davidlynchfan 09-20-17 05:55 PM

Only a couple of times in my lifetime but I use the BD.com app on my phone (and its free to dl!).

DthRdrX 09-20-17 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by The Infidel (Post 13160945)
Same here. I can't imagine having so many movies in your collection that you wouldn't know. If it gets to that point, it pretty much means there are probably a ton of titles that you've either never watched or have maybe watched once a long time ago and never watched again. I've come to that point a couple times, and thinned out my collection considerably, the first time by about 70, and recently by about another couple dozen.

I have a few extras that were purchased dirt cheap during Black Friday sales on a whim. Since items go in and out of stock quickly I usually don't think much when I see them. That plus my BF orders are usually much larger.