Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Twin Peaks: Season 3/The Return - 12/5/17 (slight spoilers within)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Twin Peaks: Season 3/The Return - 12/5/17 (slight spoilers within)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-17, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
re: Twin Peaks: Season 3/The Return - 12/5/17 (slight spoilers within)

Man, this show is getting a ton of flack in this thread. I didn't watch this season (yet), but ever other take I've heard on it (from friends and other sites) has been mostly positive. But they do all agree that it's weird as fuck, but that's to be expected.
Old 09-20-17, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm sitting this one out. I may revisit the season in a few years, but I continue to feel it was a major swing-and-a-miss.
Old 09-21-17, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Man, this show is getting a ton of flack in this thread. I didn't watch this season (yet), but ever other take I've heard on it (from friends and other sites) has been mostly positive. But they do all agree that it's weird as fuck, but that's to be expected.
The season is all over the place. It has moments of brilliance, and does provide answers to some major mysteries that have been left dangling for decades. But it rarely feels like Twin Peaks and wastes a lot of time on characters and storylines that go nowhere. Imagine if the infamous "James' Road Trip" from Season 2 had taken up about 60% of screen time in the original series, because that's kind of what happens here with one increasingly pointless storyline that just goes on and on and on forever.

The whole thing could have been condensed down to about six episodes and been really amazing. As is, it's incredibly frustrating.

Perhaps if you go into it with your expectations set accordingly, you may enjoy it more than some of us who watched it live.
Old 09-21-17, 09:28 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
The season is all over the place. It has moments of brilliance, and does provide answers to some major mysteries that have been left dangling for decades. But it rarely feels like Twin Peaks and wastes a lot of time on characters and storylines that go nowhere. Imagine if the infamous "James' Road Trip" from Season 2 had taken up about 60% of screen time in the original series, because that's kind of what happens here with one increasingly pointless storyline that just goes on and on and on forever.

The whole thing could have been condensed down to about six episodes and been really amazing. As is, it's incredibly frustrating.

Perhaps if you go into it with your expectations set accordingly, you may enjoy it more than some of us who watched it live.
Josh nailed it.

Watching it live made it worse.
Spoiler:
Lynch knew we wanted Cooper. Every week "Cooper will wake up!!!" and it didn't happen until literally the last minute. We had storylines with characters that made no real sense (mitchum brothers, Chantel and guy from Lie to Me), Jerry stuck in the woods for 18 episodes? Audrey....who knows.

Waste of time. Condense down to 8 episode and it would be solid. But no. Lynch cried like a baby and got the episode count doubled so he could be the star.

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 09-23-17 at 07:51 AM.
Old 09-21-17, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol at the Fast and the Furious dudes in this thread. Go watch the latest Marvel flick or some shit ya meathead.
Old 09-21-17, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Go in with an open mind. I'm a huge fan of the original series and Lynch and I loved every minute of it. It's not perfect but there are amazing new characters, some great performances from old faves and some intense fucked up classic Lynch.
Old 09-21-17, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

The biggest problem with the new series is all the unresolved storylines. Lynch developed all these story arcs and - without giving too much away - abandons pretty much all of them. That doesn't mean the series isn't highly entertaining (I still think it's far and away the best thing to air on TV this year, and WAY better than Twin Peaks disappointing second season), but we basically get one cliffhanger answered in exchange for a ton of others.

Honestly, I think Lynch was still ticked he had to reveal who killed Laura Palmer back in 1990, so this Season 3 was his revenge. You want to know if
Spoiler:
Cooper gets out of the Lodge
? Fine...I'll give you the answer to that, but not before I leave you with a couple dozen other questions you'll never get answered.

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 09-23-17 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-21-17, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I agree with Shannon. Watching it live was incredibly frustrating, but I also can't remember the last time I was more excited for each new episode of a show.

Some of the stories that didn't go anywhere were still entertaining yarns (Chantel, the Mitchum brothers), but there were a lot of missed opportunities, Audrey being one of the biggest.

But I absolutely still want to add this to my collection and know I will revisit it. I also think it would play much better as a binge.

Last edited by clckworang; 09-22-17 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-22-17, 02:03 AM

Lots of spoilers in here, not cool. The spoiler tag exists for a reason.

Can a mod please change the thread title to indicate SPOILERS INSIDE? thanks.
Old 09-22-17, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by thebunk
Lol at the Fast and the Furious dudes in this thread. Go watch the latest Marvel flick or some shit ya meathead.
I've been a Lynch fan for decades, but I'm not an apologist who will ignore his obvious artistic downturn in recent years.

This is the work of the David Lynch who made Inland Empire, not the David Lynch who made Blue Velvet.
Old 09-22-17, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've been a Lynch fan for decades, but I'm not an apologist who will ignore his obvious artistic downturn in recent years.

This is the work of the David Lynch who made Inland Empire, not the David Lynch who made Blue Velvet.
I want the David Lynch who made Dune!
Old 09-22-17, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

That's harsh! Nothing in this show is truly Inland Empire bad.
Old 09-22-17, 10:48 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

I respectfully disagree. It's not his greatest work, but off the top of my head, I'd rank the season (the entire season) over Inland Empire, Wild at Heart, and Dune (sorry), and definitely better than a good chunk of Season 2 of TP.

But to each his own. It's flawed, sure. You won't see me saying it's perfect and Lynch is perfect or anything like that. But I enjoyed it. I honestly did. And I thought the ending was good, too.
Old 09-22-17, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I'm just hoping it's better than season 2 of TP.
Old 09-22-17, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

If you haven't seen season 3 yet, go in with lowered expectations.
Old 09-22-17, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

It is.
Old 09-22-17, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

It might be better than season 2 on balance, but anyone who thinks it's better than the Lynch directed episodes in season 2 is crazy.
Old 09-23-17, 06:15 AM

Honestly, this may be his masterpiece. I think time will treat this well (much like FWWM which was universally hated when it was initially released). There still isn't a day that goes by where I have not thought about this season since the finale.
Old 09-23-17, 09:25 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Twin Peaks: Season 3/The Return - 12/5/17 (slight spoilers within)

Originally Posted by thebunk
Honestly, this may be his masterpiece. I think time will treat this well (much like FWWM which was universally hated when it was initially released). There still isn't a day that goes by where I have not thought about this season since the finale.
FWWM was hated probably because some thought Lynch would resolve the storylines he abandoned in S2 or purposely left open knowing full well he was getting cancelled. He didn't.

You could pretty much say the same for S3.
Old 09-23-17, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Although I felt this season was 90% a burning train wreck, I am enjoying the hell out of Twin Peaks (Music from the Limited Event Series). It's got all of the great Roadhouse performances and some of the other music heard during the otherwise interminable 18 hours.
Old 09-23-17, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
FWWM was hated probably because some thought Lynch would resolve the storylines he abandoned in S2 or purposely left open knowing full well he was getting cancelled. He didn't.
That doesn't really make much sense, given that Fire Walk With Me was always marketed as a prequel to S1.

You could pretty much say the same for S3.
Personally, my issues with this new series have little to do with still unresolved story lines from S2. Some of the Lynchian fever dream stuff in the new series was riveting and inspired, but there was way too much meaningless meandering and glaring elements that didn't follow the established "internal rules" of the Twin Peaks universe.
Old 09-23-17, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Although I felt this season was 90% a burning train wreck, I am enjoying the hell out of Twin Peaks (Music from the Limited Event Series). It's got all of the great Roadhouse performances and some of the other music heard during the otherwise interminable 18 hours.
Just ordered the vinyl. I'm debating getting the vinyl of the score as well, to go with my Mondo scores for the original series and FWWM.
Old 09-23-17, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kefrank
That doesn't really make much sense, given that Fire Walk With Me was always marketed as a prequel to S1.
Fire Walk With Me was hardly marketed at all, and certainly not well.
Old 09-23-17, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Fire Walk With Me was hardly marketed at all, and certainly not well.
I'm not making any claims about the volume of marketing for it. I'm merely saying any fan of the show who even saw part of the trailer beforehand knew it couldn't take place after S2.
Old 09-23-17, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kefrank
I'm not making any claims about the volume of marketing for it. I'm merely saying any fan of the show who even saw part of the trailer beforehand knew it couldn't take place after S2.
There was still an expectation that the movie would somehow tie up the TV show's loose ends. Yes, the trailer showed it as a prequel, but as far as anyone knew, those scenes could have been framed as flashbacks inside a story that took place after the end of S2. Or at least the first half of the movie could have ended with a time-jump forward for the second half.

The idea that Lynch would end the TV show with a bunch of unresolved storylines, and then immediately go into production on a movie, yet not use that movie to give the show a proper ending, just seemed inconceivable to people. It made no sense to them why he would do that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.