Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Twin Peaks: Season 3/The Return - 12/5/17 (slight spoilers within)

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Twin Peaks: Season 3/The Return - 12/5/17 (slight spoilers within)

Old 12-08-17, 12:41 PM
  #76  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,133
Re: Twin Peaks: Season 3/The Return - 12/5/17 (slight spoilers within)

Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
I reserved my copy at Best Buy on release day. My friend went later in the afternoon, and there were no copies left. We have four Best Buy stores within an hour of us. All were sold out except one store, and he bought the last copy there.
This suggests to me that each location may have only gotten 1 or 2 copies.
Josh Z is offline  
Old 12-08-17, 03:27 PM
  #77  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
clckworang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The toe nail of Texas
Posts: 7,310
Re: Twin Peaks: Season 3/The Return - 12/5/17 (slight spoilers within)

Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
This suggests to me that each location may have only gotten 1 or 2 copies.
If the store received that few copies, I wouldn't have thought I could order online for in-store pickup. Three or fewer usually show out of stock online. I'm betting there were at least four or five.
clckworang is offline  
Old 12-10-17, 01:44 PM
  #78  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 16,354
Re: Twin Peaks: Season 3/The Return - 12/5/17 (slight spoilers within)

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
FWWM has aged like a fine wine.
I suspect this new season will as well. I know it plays a lot better being able to watch the episodes in chunks, rather than the week to week wait we had over the summer. FWWM was met with a lot of backlash because it was so different from the series that came before. Many of those same criticisms have been leveled toward "The Return".

FWWM spent at least a decade being labeled one of Lynch's worst movies. Now it's consistently considered one of his best, perhaps only below Mulholland Dr. and Blue Velvet.
Shannon Nutt is offline  
Old 12-10-17, 02:17 PM
  #79  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 30,396
Re: Twin Peaks: Season 3/The Return - 12/5/17 (slight spoilers within)

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
I suspect this new season will as well. I know it plays a lot better being able to watch the episodes in chunks, rather than the week to week wait we had over the summer. FWWM was met with a lot of backlash because it was so different from the series that came before. Many of those same criticisms have been leveled toward "The Return".

FWWM spent at least a decade being labeled one of Lynch's worst movies. Now it's consistently considered one of his best, perhaps only below Mulholland Dr. and Blue Velvet.
FWWM should have tied up the loose ends Lynch purposely left with S2. He didnít. I donít think it ďagedĒ at all. Itís still a mess of a film.

S3 was such a huge disappointment that it makes perfect sense why ABC tried to rope Lynch in and make him resolve the murder in S2. Lynch, left unsupervised, makes an incoherent story. Showtime should have forced Lynch to do only 7-10 episodes and not given into his demands. There was so little Twin Peaks in S3 it could have very well been a totally different show (not to mention Lynch giving himself the most screen time)
Gizmo is offline  
Old 12-10-17, 02:25 PM
  #80  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 39,510
Re: Twin Peaks: Season 3/The Return - 12/5/17 (slight spoilers within)

Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
FWWM should have tied up the loose ends Lynch purposely left with S2. He didnít. I donít think it ďagedĒ at all. Itís still a mess of a film.

S3 was such a huge disappointment that it makes perfect sense why ABC tried to rope Lynch in and make him resolve the murder in S2. Lynch, left unsupervised, makes an incoherent story. Showtime should have forced Lynch to do only 7-10 episodes and not given into his demands. There was so little Twin Peaks in S3 it could have very well been a totally different show (not to mention Lynch giving himself the most screen time)
If you're watching Twin Peak for a coherent story that answers and resolves everything, you're watching the wrong show. Go watch Law & Order instead.
slop101 is online now  
Old 12-10-17, 07:18 PM
  #81  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,133
Re: Twin Peaks: Season 3/The Return - 12/5/17 (slight spoilers within)

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
I suspect this new season will as well. I know it plays a lot better being able to watch the episodes in chunks, rather than the week to week wait we had over the summer.
I suspect it will play better being able to skip over all the useless or outright terrible episodes, which is about 2/3 of them.

I just can't bring myself to ever watch another Dougie scene again.
Josh Z is offline  
Old 12-11-17, 05:12 AM
  #82  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 30,645
Re: Twin Peaks: Season 3/The Return - 12/5/17 (slight spoilers within)

It's funny... I didn't watch Twin Peaks when it ran on ABC. I didn't watch it until around 2008 or so, when I watched the whole series and FWWM. I didn't find FWWM objectionable, though I knew going into it that it was a prequel that wouldn't resolve the cliffhanger.

But I thought season three was a goddamned mess. Cooper was wasted on that Dougie shit for the bulk of his screentime, and Twin Peaks barely figured into it. The eighteen hours moved at a snail's pace, and the whole thing just felt like a waste of time. Oh, and it ended on another fucking cliffhanger. So much of this was poorly handled, and so much of the plot revolved around characters whose actors were deceased (BOB, Major Briggs, and Phillip Jeffries) that their absense was missed and the workarounds felt forced.

I'm not sure how this will "age" for me, but I can't help but think, after twenty-five years of anticipation, this is all we got?
Josh-da-man is offline  
Old 12-11-17, 08:38 AM
  #83  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 6,552
Re: Twin Peaks: Season 3/The Return - 12/5/17 (slight spoilers within)

Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I just can't bring myself to ever watch another Dougie scene again.
I'm with you.

I might like to have Episode 8 to sit as a standalone short film in the Twin Peaks universe and just ignore that the rest of Season 3 exists.
kefrank is offline  
Old 12-11-17, 10:20 AM
  #84  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
stvn1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 4,767
Re: Twin Peaks: Season 3/The Return - 12/5/17 (slight spoilers within)

I loved it all. I want Lynch to come back for season four.

Twin Peaks: The Wally Brando Adventures
stvn1974 is offline  
Old 12-12-17, 09:03 PM
  #85  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 16,354
Re: Twin Peaks: Season 3/The Return - 12/5/17 (slight spoilers within)

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
I loved it all. I want Lynch to come back for season four.

Twin Peaks: The Wally Brando Adventures
I want a Blue Rose prequel with younger actors playing Cole and Jeffries.
Shannon Nutt is offline  
Old 12-13-17, 08:51 AM
  #86  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: LI.NY
Posts: 697
Re: Twin Peaks: Season 3/The Return - 12/5/17 (slight spoilers within)

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
I want a Blue Rose prequel with younger actors playing Cole and Jeffries.
Anyone but David Lynch and David Bowie playing Cole and Jeffries would be sacrilege.
Imail724 is offline  
Old 12-13-17, 09:03 AM
  #87  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Marina Del Rey, California
Posts: 9,745
Re: Twin Peaks: Season 3/The Return - 12/5/17 (slight spoilers within)

I completed a rewatch of The Return recently. While I liked it more than I did during its original run, thanks to binge ability, I don't see it aging well and I don't think FWWM did either. FWWM is still a scatterbrained mess and much of The Return is as well. Abandoning a character that the audience yearned for for over two decades and replacing him with Dougie / Evil Cooper was an unforgivable mistake. As was creating a narrative featuring over a hundred characters. Most of the fan fiction that has been out for years was significantly better than what we ended up getting this summer. The Return is an 18 hour David Lynch film for better or worse. I'm down for season 4 as long as Showtime forces Lynch / Frost to work with producers. Otherwise I'll just keep remembering season 1 and the first 7 episodes of season 2 with rose colored glasses.
starseed1981 is offline  
Old 12-13-17, 07:01 PM
  #88  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 16,354
Re: Twin Peaks: Season 3/The Return - 12/5/17 (slight spoilers within)

Originally Posted by Imail724 View Post
Anyone but David Lynch and David Bowie playing Cole and Jeffries would be sacrilege.
We had someone else playing Jeffries in Season 3.
Shannon Nutt is offline  
Old 12-13-17, 07:08 PM
  #89  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 16,354
Re: Twin Peaks: Season 3/The Return - 12/5/17 (slight spoilers within)

Originally Posted by starseed1981 View Post
I completed a rewatch of The Return recently. While I liked it more than I did during its original run, thanks to binge ability, I don't see it aging well and I don't think FWWM did either. FWWM is still a scatterbrained mess and much of The Return is as well. Abandoning a character that the audience yearned for for over two decades and replacing him with Dougie / Evil Cooper was an unforgivable mistake. As was creating a narrative featuring over a hundred characters. Most of the fan fiction that has been out for years was significantly better than what we ended up getting this summer. The Return is an 18 hour David Lynch film for better or worse. I'm down for season 4 as long as Showtime forces Lynch / Frost to work with producers. Otherwise I'll just keep remembering season 1 and the first 7 episodes of season 2 with rose colored glasses.
Why repeat what you did before? If you want to see traditional Cooper, those episodes are there. David Lynch is an artist. He's not going to repeat himself. He's also not going to spoon feed you what you want. The best parts of The Return had nothing to do with Cooper...or even Twin Peaks as a town. The best stuff was with Gordon/Albert, the stuff in Buckhorn, and the Mitchum Bros.

Also, this: There's NOT going to be a Season 4. Showtime/CBS isn't interested, but they don't want to give up the rights to someone else either, just in case they decide to use the property for something down the road. I think Lynch can do a film (I think the rights CBS has don't apply to a feature for some legal reasons), but who is going to finance that? Nobody. So as much as Lynch/Frost may want to do another season (and I'm honestly not sure they do), it's never going to happen.
Shannon Nutt is offline  
Old 12-22-17, 07:53 AM
  #90  
DVD Talk Legend
 
mattysemo247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 12,214
Re: Twin Peaks: Season 3/The Return - 12/5/17 (slight spoilers within)

So we just rented this from the library and are only three episodes in, but I gotta know. Is this series more in line with the movie? Or the first two seasons? Because I have to admit, I never really cared for the movie and couldn't even finish it. So if it's more like that, I think I'm just going to cut my losses now instead of trying to wrap my head around the next fourteen episodes.
mattysemo247 is offline  
Old 12-22-17, 08:03 AM
  #91  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 3,974
Re: Twin Peaks: Season 3/The Return - 12/5/17 (slight spoilers within)

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 View Post
So we just rented this from the library and are only three episodes in, but I gotta know. Is this series more in line with the movie? Or the first two seasons? Because I have to admit, I never really cared for the movie and couldn't even finish it. So if it's more like that, I think I'm just going to cut my losses now instead of trying to wrap my head around the next fourteen episodes.
It's like another season. However, after watching three episodes ... if you're enjoying it, continue, if not, stop. It's really that simple.
ctyankee is offline  
Old 12-22-17, 08:13 AM
  #92  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 27,221
Re: Twin Peaks: Season 3/The Return - 12/5/17 (slight spoilers within)

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 View Post
So we just rented this from the library and are only three episodes in, but I gotta know. Is this series more in line with the movie? Or the first two seasons? Because I have to admit, I never really cared for the movie and couldn't even finish it. So if it's more like that, I think I'm just going to cut my losses now instead of trying to wrap my head around the next fourteen episodes.
Sounds like you are going to hate where this goes.
dex14 is offline  
Old 12-22-17, 08:15 AM
  #93  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 27,221
Re: Twin Peaks: Season 3/The Return - 12/5/17 (slight spoilers within)

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Also, this: There's NOT going to be a Season 4. Showtime/CBS isn't interested, but they don't want to give up the rights to someone else either, just in case they decide to use the property for something down the road. I think Lynch can do a film (I think the rights CBS has don't apply to a feature for some legal reasons), but who is going to finance that? Nobody. So as much as Lynch/Frost may want to do another season (and I'm honestly not sure they do), it's never going to happen.
Where are you getting that? The head of Showtime said they would do anything with Lynch. Maybe he's blowing smoke. I know the ratings weren't good, but they said they got A LOT of new subscribers to the streaming service.

And I don't think "nobody" will finance a film. Netflix and Amazon are highly interested in content from big names in the film industry. Because of Amazon, we're finally getting Gilliam's Don Quixote, Woody Allen did his first TV series, Winding-Refn is doing a series, etc. I don't think Lynch would get turned away if he wanted to go down that route, which from the sound of his thoughts on streaming, he doesn't. But at least Amazon releases theatrically.
dex14 is offline  
Old 12-26-17, 11:37 AM
  #94  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 16,354
Re: Twin Peaks: Season 3/The Return - 12/5/17 (slight spoilers within)

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Where are you getting that? The head of Showtime said they would do anything with Lynch. Maybe he's blowing smoke. I know the ratings weren't good, but they said they got A LOT of new subscribers to the streaming service.
This. And a vast majority of those streaming subscribers were people who already had Showtime on a monthly basis, so they weren't (necessarily) NEW subscribers.
Shannon Nutt is offline  
Old 12-27-17, 06:31 AM
  #95  
Senior Member
 
popegregFKAgoblin23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Glendale, WI
Posts: 731
Re: Twin Peaks: Season 3/The Return - 12/5/17 (slight spoilers within)

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
This. And a vast majority of those streaming subscribers were people who already had Showtime on a monthly basis, so they weren't (necessarily) NEW subscribers.
Umm, sure if you want to say that executives of a publicly traded comparny are lying, If you have Showtime through a Cable or Satellite you already have access to Showtime Anytime. I really don't think they are counting those people as NEW subscribers.

I know several people who signed up just to watch TP:TR and i'm sure the numbers were significant.

Here's some quotes from CBS/Showtime execs:

>>
“In the world that we live in now, offering original programming that attracts new subscribers is our primary business objective,” Showtime
Networks president and CEO David Nevins said. “By that standard, the Twin Peaks premiere is the biggest single-night driver we’ve ever had.”
>>

>>
“Our Showtime over-the-top (OTT) service is coming off a terrific quarter as well, thanks largely to Twin Peaks,” said Moonves, referring to the paid service. “The premiere of the show led to our biggest day and biggest weekend ever for OTT signups, and the percentage of viewers streaming Twin Peaks is the highest we’ve ever had for a show, which is good news because OTT subscribers are more profitable for us.”
>>

OTT=Cable/Satellite service which includes streaming.

Last edited by popegregFKAgoblin23; 12-27-17 at 06:41 AM.
popegregFKAgoblin23 is offline  
Old 12-27-17, 07:41 AM
  #96  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 16,354
Re: Twin Peaks: Season 3/The Return - 12/5/17 (slight spoilers within)

Of course I don't know the real numbers from Showtime, but I do know this: Executive Producer Sabrina Sutherland has told me (and others via online communication) that there have been ZERO chats between David Lynch and Showtime since the series left the air. They haven't reached out to him at all. (This would have been as of late October this year). Last I heard, David is moving onto other things, focusing primarily on his art.
Shannon Nutt is offline  
Old 12-28-17, 06:18 AM
  #97  
Senior Member
 
popegregFKAgoblin23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Glendale, WI
Posts: 731
Re: Twin Peaks: Season 3/The Return - 12/5/17 (slight spoilers within)

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Of course I don't know the real numbers from Showtime, but I do know this: Executive Producer Sabrina Sutherland has told me (and others via online communication) that there have been ZERO chats between David Lynch and Showtime since the series left the air. They haven't reached out to him at all. (This would have been as of late October this year). Last I heard, David is moving onto other things, focusing primarily on his art.
Now, that, I can believe. I doubt we'll ever see another feature film from Lynch. Still you have to think that Showtime would be up for a fourth season if it were a possibility.
popegregFKAgoblin23 is offline  
Old 12-28-17, 09:54 PM
  #98  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 30,645
Re: Twin Peaks: Season 3/The Return - 12/5/17 (slight spoilers within)

Nobody in their right mind is going to bankroll a David Lynch movie when he's doing stuff like Inland Empire and Twin Peaks The Return.

You can defend the artistic merit of his recent output, but if you hand him ten or twenty million dollars to make a movie, you won't get a dime of it back.
Josh-da-man is offline  
Old 07-26-19, 12:46 PM
  #99  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
stvn1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 4,767
Re: Twin Peaks: Season 3/The Return - 12/5/17 (slight spoilers within)


From TV Shows On DVD:

COMING ON 10/15:

* Twin Peaks - The Complete Television Collection (Paramount)
DVD; Blu-ray
EXTRAS: A wealth of intriguing, behind-the-scenes special features
-----For the first time, in one collection, the complete television phenomenon TWIN PEAKS: All 29 episodes of the original groundbreaking seasons; All 18 parts of the "Limited Event Series" - the return to Twin Peaks - that captivated audiences 25 years later, written by the series co-creators and entirely directed by David Lynch. So grab a cup of coffee, a slice of cherry pie, and experience the legendary mystery...again and again!
stvn1974 is offline  
Old 07-26-19, 03:11 PM
  #100  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,133
Re: Twin Peaks: Season 3/The Return - 12/5/17 (slight spoilers within)

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
https://m.facebook.com/tvshowsondvd/...57194026256063

From TV Shows On DVD:

COMING ON 10/15:

* Twin Peaks - The Complete Television Collection (Paramount)
DVD; Blu-ray
EXTRAS: A wealth of intriguing, behind-the-scenes special features
-----For the first time, in one collection, the complete television phenomenon TWIN PEAKS: All 29 episodes of the original groundbreaking seasons; All 18 parts of the "Limited Event Series" - the return to Twin Peaks - that captivated audiences 25 years later, written by the series co-creators and entirely directed by David Lynch. So grab a cup of coffee, a slice of cherry pie, and experience the legendary mystery...again and again!
Sounds like Fire Walk With Me is excluded. I guess Criterion has some exclusivity on that now.
Josh Z is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.