Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Best Buy Finished w/ Physical Media?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Best Buy Finished w/ Physical Media?

Old 11-06-17, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts
Re: Best Buy Finished w/ Physical Media?

The last time I went to Costco, they had Captain Underpants and Descendants 2.
Old 11-06-17, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
The last time I went to Costco, they had Captain Underpants and Descendants 2.
I went to the Grafton, WI location yesterday. About a month ago they had maybe 1/3 of what they had a year ago. Now, nothing. No DVDs or BDs, but twice as many books as they used to have. Very disappointing.
Old 11-07-17, 08:45 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

My Costco only has 2-3 "top" blockbuster BDs available. That's it. All the Criterion and Disney is gone and replaced with books. Who reads those?
Old 11-07-17, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 195 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
My Costco only has 2-3 "top" blockbuster BDs available. That's it. All the Criterion and Disney is gone and replaced with books. Who reads those?
Good question.

(On a tangent).

I rarely buy books from Costco or even nearby bigbox bookstores. Though for the type of books I do buy, I still insist on buying the paper hardcopy versions.

I read a lot of books with tons of mathematical symbols/equations. Unfortunately for many books of this type, most publishers are complete incompetent dolts when it comes to "preparing" their digital ebook versions of their technical books.

I've encounter one too many ebooks where the mathematical symbols and/or greek letters are not printed properly at all. Really silly things such as plus "+" signs which are misprinted and look like minus "-" signs, etc ...

BLAH!
Old 10-24-18, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts

It seems like there are multiple threads like this. Hope I found the most recent.

I hadn't been in my closest BB in a couple of months. They've scaled way back on media since I was there last. Even the $5.99 BD bin while still there, didn't have much in it. Made me sad. I think it's why I love going to a Half Price Books location every once in a while. It's the only place left (aside from Walmart) where you can still experience the joy of browsing.
Old 12-12-18, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I realize this is the Christmas shopping season but just came back from BB and found they had a decent selection of media. Toward the front before you hit small appliances. They haven't cut back for several months perhaps all year.

Was interested in picking up the two seasons of Timeless but not for $24.99 each. Seemed high for a cancelled show. For anyone interested in Young Sheldon, there were a crapload of those. Apparently those are not selling or they reloaded 10 minutes before I got there.
Old 12-13-18, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

Selection definitely varies by store now- some I just leave shaking my head but others I spend a decent amount of time and sometimes even money in. It's still not what it used to be overall. They were the only place I bought anything this Black Friday, and I was pleased that they seem to have finally listened to my complaints about store stickers being put on unsealed slipcovers. I simply won't buy a disc if they've put a sticker on it, but all the ones I bought were in unsealed slipcovers and NONE had any store stickers on them.
Old 12-14-18, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

I remember going there almost once a month back in the early to mid 2000's in Milpitas and buying dvds and CD.

I jinxed them when i stopped going there
Old 12-14-18, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I remember going there almost once a month back in the early to mid 2000's in Milpitas and buying dvds and CD.

I jinxed them when i stopped going there
Back in the heyday of the HD/BR war it was impressive. Row after row of DVD's, HD DVD's and BR.
Old 12-14-18, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I miss the trade and save. Unfortunately that's where a good chunk of my backlog came from. So thinking about it now, maybe I don't miss it

I wonder if they thought about doing a limited rollout again to trade in blu rays for 4K discs.
Old 12-14-18, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dread the day it's no longer possible to buy physical media.
Streaming is a very cool technology, but there are still problems to iron it.

I love the fact I can go into my HT, pick a disk (from my 10,000+ collection) off a shelf, throw it into my Oppo, pour a cold one, fall into the LazyBoy and forget the world for a couple of hours.
Of course, YMMV.
Old 01-06-19, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Stopped by a BB on Friday. One that I usually don't go to. I had several GC and a bunch of RZ to spend and they had crap. More gaps than a smile at a Willie Nelson concert. I went in with the intention of dropping $80 or more and walked out empty handed.
Old 01-06-19, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I went to my regular Best Buy today and it was much better than the other one. There were gaps and empty bins but there was a decent selection of new titles. Catalog is all but gone. I picked up one I had on my Christmas list and another I wouldn't feel the need to own but it was $4.99 and I have $75 in GC and $60 in RZ. Even though I can stream them I own the first few seasons of The Americans and The Blacklist so I'll probably pick up the last season of those. They did have a decent selection of old TV, Castle and Chuck as well as a crapload of Young Sheldon and NCIS.
Old 01-07-19, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

Best Buy has one advantage where you can get Disney produced movies there and you have to wait at Amazon or they don't have them at all
Old 01-16-19, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
I went to my regular Best Buy today and it was much better than the other one. There were gaps and empty bins but there was a decent selection of new titles. Catalog is all but gone.
Why not order online with your GC and RZ certs, where you can have a full selection of titles?
Old 01-17-19, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheBang
Why not order online with your GC and RZ certs, where you can have a full selection of titles?
I often do. If there are new release titles I want I often go right to the store on the way home from work for the usual reasons; shop around, have it that day, keep the money local. If I have any interest in some catalog stuff or if I'm not in a hurry I'll order online. I have RZ Elite status so my shipping is always free.
Old 01-17-19, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
I went to my regular Best Buy today and it was much better than the other one. There were gaps and empty bins but there was a decent selection of new titles. Catalog is all but gone. I picked up one I had on my Christmas list and another I wouldn't feel the need to own but it was $4.99 and I have $75 in GC and $60 in RZ. Even though I can stream them I own the first few seasons of The Americans and The Blacklist so I'll probably pick up the last season of those. They did have a decent selection of old TV, Castle and Chuck as well as a crapload of Young Sheldon and NCIS.
I've noticed that individual Best Buy locations treat media very differently. A few still devote a lot of space to media items. Most now have been reorganized and shrunk in shelf space.
Old 02-15-19, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

At BB today. Really expanding the smart home concept. The doorbells and floodlights with cameras are all the rage now I guess. It did have a nice selection but I ended up not getting anything. I did find a selection of turntables and a small selection of vinyl I had never seen before.
Old 02-15-19, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A couple locations I occasionally visit make it very difficult to even find their remaining media items. They don't have dedicated media sections anymore, but 4-sided displays stuck in random aisles.

I've written Best Buy off as a shopping destination.
Old 02-15-19, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

I have a gift card so I figured I'd pre-order a couple upcoming cds on the website. Nada. Vinyl only. So dumb.
Old 02-16-19, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I have a gift card so I figured I'd pre-order a couple upcoming cds on the website. Nada. Vinyl only. So dumb.
Best Buy stopped selling CDs last summer.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cds-at-...y-of-the-dodo/
Old 02-17-19, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Best Buy has stopped selling CDs at its stores as of Sunday
I knew that much (although my store still had a small selection the last time I was there). What's new to me was not selling them online and shipping from a warehouse, ala Amazon. That seems short sighted to me.
Old 02-17-19, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I knew that much (although my store still had a small selection the last time I was there). What's new to me was not selling them online and shipping from a warehouse, ala Amazon. That seems short sighted to me.
Best Buy liquidated their entire CD inventory a few months ago. Tons of new "Best Buy" exclusives on CD started flooding the regular secondary markets. The management consultants running Best Buy these days want out of media altogether. I suspect they will get out of physical media by the first quarter of 2020, including DVDs/BDs/UHDs.

Old 02-17-19, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Best Buy liquidated their entire CD inventory a few months ago. Tons of new "Best Buy" exclusives on CD started flooding the regular secondary markets. The management consultants running Best Buy these days want out of media altogether. I suspect they will get out of physical media by the first quarter of 2020, including DVDs/BDs/UHDs.
Or maybe just keep a New Releases rack up by the front.
Old 02-17-19, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Man, I must be the only one not bothered by this. I've been buying most of my physical media online for years now and never gave a shit what was in B&M stores. The only stuff I would pick up from Best Buy in-store were games. Occasionally, I would pick up a BD of something I want, if I was in there for something else. Most of the time, I wouldn't even bother checking Best Buy for movies because a lot of what I want wouldn't be carried in-store anyway.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.