Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The cover art for The Bridge on the River Kwai UHD BD (10/3) is soul-crushingly awful

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The cover art for The Bridge on the River Kwai UHD BD (10/3) is soul-crushingly awful

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-17, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I just...there aren't words.

Celebrate the 60th Anniversary of a Timeless Classic
on 4K Ultra HD™ October 3

THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI

Winner of Seven Academy Awards®,
Including Best Picture and Best Director (David Lean)

CULVER CITY, Calif. (July 18, 2017) – A must-own for film fans and adventure-seekers alike,Sony Pictures Home Entertainment debuts THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI on next-generation 4K Ultra HD for the first time October 3 to commemorate its diamond anniversary. One of the crown jewels in the Columbia Pictures catalog, the release also includes the existing Blu-ray™ with incisive special features and historical context, making it the perfect holiday gift. Fully restored in 4K resolution and presented with High Dynamic Range (HDR) and Dolby Atmos audio.

Bonus Features on Blu-ray Include:
  • Crossing the Bridge: Picture-in-Picture Graphics Track
  • Making of The Bridge on the River Kwai
  • The Steve Allen Show with William Holden & Alec Guinness
  • The Bridge on the River Kwai Premiere Narrated by William Holden
  • “Rise and Fall of a Jungle Giant” Featurette
  • USC Short Film Introduced by William Holden
  • An Appreciation by Filmmaker John Milius
  • Photo Gallery
  • Theatrical Trailers

THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI has a run time of approximately 161 minutes and is rated PG for mild war violence.
Old 07-19-17, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Re: The cover art for The Bridge on the River Kwai UHD BD (10/3) is soul-crushingly a

Oh dear...
Old 07-19-17, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: The cover art for The Bridge on the River Kwai UHD BD (10/3) is soul-crushingly a

Definitely up there with the worst of them. It's like they used the 'live trace' feature in Adobe Illustrator but set it to "least amount of gradation" or whatever it is. Reminds me of some of the worst Mondo jobs (and those are legion) and other cheap slips/sleeves that look like nothing more than the blandest royalty-free CLIP ART from the 1990's. As if they couldn't hire an actual ARTIST to come up with a new painted interpretation of the film's characters and theme for a modest fee, and then use original studio poster art for the reverse. When you see what smaller players Shout, Arrow and increasingly even Vinegar Syndrome are commissioning for their releases, and then look at least-effort shit like this . . .
Old 07-19-17, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm a big a fan of original Key Art being used as anyone- and I hate the trend of avoiding their use and instead going with low rent efforts like this.

But really, the shitty design job here is not my focus.

A truly great film is finally getting released in 4K. THAT is something to celebrate! why focus on the cheeseball cover. You can easily make up your own and insert it in the case.

I'd take the shittiest jack art you can come up with, if I could get 50 more cool catalog titles in 4K from 4k masters. What's more- I'de even put up with all the not ready for prime time tech BS and finally buy into the format.

BOTRK is a nice start, but there is still a long way to go before 4K is worth the effort to me.
Better jacket art is not even on the list.
Old 07-19-17, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like one of those terrible Pop Art or Mondo jobs.
Old 07-19-17, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Yeah, my first thought was the Mondo Star Trek II release. But I agree with PaulSD that it's great to have this kind of classic released. And I haven't bought into 4K yet either.
Old 07-19-17, 02:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

..my god, what an insult to one of the greatest movies ever made..David Lean is now rolling over in his grave...
Old 07-19-17, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought it looked pretty good when I saw it the other day, but it was a really small thumbnail and I thought it was actual pictures of the actors, not some weird pop art thing.

It seems weird that they went with this, considering Sony has been going back to the original poster art for their recent catalog UHD BDs (Fifth Element, Starship Troopers, Leon (I think))
Old 07-19-17, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

The label for the Cartrivision tape was the best- it just shows an outline of the bridge with the title on it.
Old 07-19-17, 08:32 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
The label for the Cartrivision tape was the best- it just shows an outline of the bridge with the title on it.
You have a copy, yes? Post a pic!
Old 07-19-17, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

wHaT haVe i DOnE?

Old 07-19-17, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,205 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Yul Brynner, Alec Guinness, and Down syndrome Burt Lancaster?
Old 07-20-17, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 446 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ

Yul Brynner, Alec Guinness, and Down syndrome Burt Lancaster?
Maxwell Smart , Alec Guinness & Peter Lorre.
Old 07-20-17, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh my... Yeesh.
Old 07-20-17, 05:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More like, Harry Holcombe (The Dr. in Bonanza,) Alec Guinness, and Simon Oakland (Detective Schrauf in West Side Story.) BTW, how does the film look in 4K?
Old 07-20-17, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by wakwak007
BTW, how does the film look in 4K?
It's been on several streaming/download services in UHD. I haven't seen it that way myself, but the comments I've been able to find by Googling have all been exceedingly positive.
Old 07-20-17, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Yeah, my first thought was the Mondo Star Trek II release. But I agree with PaulSD that it's great to have this kind of classic released. And I haven't bought into 4K yet either.
I forgot about that artwork for The Wrath of Khan. This is pretty horrible too.