Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Sinbad Trilogy - Ray Harryhausen - Indicator Films

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Sinbad Trilogy - Ray Harryhausen - Indicator Films

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-17, 05:05 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The Sinbad Trilogy - Ray Harryhausen - Indicator Films

Well, Amazon has it now for $87.
Old 06-20-17, 05:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sparks
There are other venues as well as Indicator's own website where you can purchase it for about $54 USD. The link is in the OP. I only use Amazon when it is the only source for what I need.
Old 06-20-17, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by sparks
Not sure where you're seeing $87.

Amazon.co.uk still has it for £42.99 which after the removal of VAT and the addition of shipping is going to run you about $50.

Check with your CC first to find out the conversion charges. It may be cheaper to use your CC rather than Amazon's currency convertor.

Even better if you can get a card that doesn't charge anything for conversions.
Old 06-20-17, 06:34 PM

https://www.amazon.com/Sinbad-Trilog...eywords=sinbad
Old 06-20-17, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would order any UK titles direct from the Amazon UK site.

You can log in with your domestic password and email address.

It will take a while longer to get to you, but you save a lot compared to the domestic mark up on the UK labels.
Old 06-20-17, 07:06 PM
Banned

Okay

Last edited by AaronSch; 06-29-17 at 10:11 PM.
Old 06-20-17, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by AaronSch
Okay, I checked out "Caps-a-holic" to see what the fuss was all about. Maybe my older eyes are failing me but in every shot I captured I found the Powerhouse/Indicator image to be superior. Even Jane Seymor's hair looks more natural than the straw-like strands on the Twilight Time image. I know I am a bit crazy but I'm not blind. Top is the new, Indicator/Powerhouse screen grab and the bottom is the previous Twilight Time release which is OOP. Do these people really think the Twilight Time image is superior? What do you guys think? I don't even think this is a competition. I cannot wait to watch the new Powerhouse/Indicator set!

You're right, the Indicator is superior. Maybe they'll release The 7th by its self, that I would buy again.
Old 06-20-17, 07:27 PM
Banned

Thank you. I think the biggest reveal is the mountainside image. The lost detail on the Twilight Time disc is staggering! Does anyone see excessive EE (edge enhancement)? I used a magnifying glass and couldn't make it out! LOL they see halos that don't exist! WTF! I seriously think they are simply trying to defend their previous Twilight Time purchase to convince themselves it is superiior. Personally, compared to the Indicator/Powerhouse disc, I think it looks like crap.

Last edited by AaronSch; 06-20-17 at 10:47 PM.
Old 06-21-17, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 612 Likes on 450 Posts

That flame speaks volumes.
Old 06-21-17, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts

Definite purchase for me. Indicator is probably my favorite company so I am happy to support them.
Old 06-21-17, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm going to order this (I think), but directly from Indicator rather than Amazon UK.

I'm still waiting for a Fantagraphics title I ordered thru Amazon (U.S.) early last fall. Guess they didn't know it was OOP until after I ordered it from them.

Since Indicator is only doing 6000 copies and it can be ordered directly from them, I don't trust Amazon (UK or US) to actually have enough copies to fulfill orders.

My only concern is receiving. I'm out away from home and if it takes more than six weeks to get here, I won't be where I'm at now when it arrives. If I have it shipped to my home address and if it takes less than 6 weeks to arrive, I won't be there when it does. It's bad enough there are neighbors I don't trust, but it's Phoenix, AZ and it'll be monsoon season soon, also.

I have ordered stuff from Amazon UK a few times and it took, at most, maybe 3 weeks. Indicator though... I don't know.

Jaymole, since you've dealt with Indicator, if you don't mind me asking, how long has it taken to get stuff from them?

P.S. Thanks!
Old 06-21-17, 03:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brian T
That flame speaks volumes.
I hope your tongue was planted firmly in your cheek, because those posts over at Blu-ray.com had me rolling on the floor… As if anybody's focus would be on the torch flame.... so we're gonna worry about a flame and ignore all the other positives obvious in those images. It's like taking someone out of context… Which by the way, Blu-ray.com's usual suspects have a penchant for… Focus on a tiny bit of the image to discount the overall transfer... Man, that is so intellectually dishonest. Especially since this is a static image. Anyone with decent eyesight can tell that the Twilight Time images are overly dark and muddy in many of those captures… but of course let's not talk about that! There's almost no definition in some of the images taken from the TwilightTime transfer yet those morons are going to focus on a torch? All the actual screen grabs did was confirm my excitement over purchasing this set.

Last edited by AaronSch; 06-21-17 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-21-17, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 612 Likes on 450 Posts

So don't judge static images, or judge static images as long as they're TT's? Decisions, decisions . . .

If you likewise think I was ignoring other negatives to focus on the flame, that's fine. I just picked the most obvious flaw in the screenshots you elected to post here to buttress your enthusiasm for this collection. No intellectual dishonestly; I just can't gush the way you have since starting this thread now that I've seen those caps, but I'd also never let minor shit like that dissuade me from purchasing it down the road. I see things that don't look right, big deal. And that's from someone who's long thought the TT disc indeed was a bit dark, but far from "muddy" overall. Thank goodness these issues -- however one chooses to judge them -- are on by far the most forgettable of the three films, so whatever. Besides, it's not like any amount of flaws perceived or real would've dissuaded a lot of folks from buying this set at this late stage of the disc game. It's a pretty good set, overall.

Last edited by Brian T; 06-21-17 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-21-17, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

The transfers don't look that different to me from the screencaps outside of some color timing changes.
Old 06-21-17, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

the flames, the edge of the rocks on the beach, the edge of the sailors face as he reaches into the boat- all these appear to show the deleterious effects of edge sharpening.

Also if you compare the DVD to the Indicator Bd you will see they are basically identical.

The TT clearly looks to be from a different master.

That said, there does appear to be a hell of a lot more detail in some of the Indicator caps (like the women running on the field)= more than would be simply an illusion attributed to artificial sharpening going on.

While things like the flame, or edge of the face can seem very tiny in the context of the overall frame, it will remain to be seen whether the accumulation of such artifacts will give the disc an electronic, and unnaturally edgy feel. And something like that will come down to individual eyes and viewing situations (and taste). I hate to see people reject something out of hand until it's actually been seen.

I watched the TT version of SatEotT about six months ago, and thought it looked great, considering the nature of how the Harryhausen titles are filmed. I fortunately still kept mine so I'll be good either way.

In any case, I think the strengths of the package as a whole will mitigate any niggling issues with one of the films transfers. Assuming SVoS is not a problem, of course.

Odd that whoever posted the caps on C-a-H didn't get that one up too.
Old 06-21-17, 08:48 PM
Banned

So don't judge static images, or judge static images as long as they're TT's? Decisions, decisions . . .
Correct. I don't believe you can honestly judge on a static image. They have been used to criticize a number of releases that proved to be pretty stellar and admittedly some not so stellar. I am simply using the manner of measurement used by those criticizing the release. That's all I can do since nobody has the actual disc yet. Remember, that's the measurement THEY chose.

However, they chose to blow up a tiny, isolated portion of a couple of screen grabs whereas I actually chose a greater number of images (I think most of them) to demonstrate how beautiful the images appear when taken in context. Personally, I don't see egregious EE and halos in those images. I do see more detail as I pointed out on the mountainside image. And it's not just the color boost. So, I think I am being far more "intellectually honest" if we are going to make judgements based solely on the static images. I'm simply defending it using the same evidence they provide to denigrate it. And based on that cursory evidence, I would prefer the Powerhouse/Indicator release. That's all I've attempted to demonstrate. Nobody will know until the actual disc is compared to other existing DVD and Blu-ray releases.

If you likewise think I was ignoring other negatives to focus on the flame, that's fine. I just picked the most obvious flaw in the screenshots you elected to post here to buttress your enthusiasm for this collection. No intellectual dishonestly; I just can't gush the way you have since starting this thread now that I've seen those caps, but I'd also never let minor shit like that dissuade me from purchasing it down the road. I see things that don't look right, big deal. And that's from someone who's long thought the TT disc indeed was a bit dark, but far from "muddy" overall. Thank goodness these issues -- however one chooses to judge them -- are on by far the most forgettable of the three films, so whatever. Besides, it's not like any amount of flaws perceived or real would've dissuaded a lot of folks from buying this set at this late stage of the disc game. It's a pretty good set, overall.
Well, the flame is exactly the so-called evidence THEY are using to criticize the master. I just think that's awful nit picky and a weak argument with which to criticize all of those images and a disc that they have yet to actually view. That was the only purpose to posting the images. I felt they were way off base and I simply wanted to put out an alternative point-of-view to their rather selective use of those images. Especially when there are some rather obvious pluses that they've simply chosen to ignore. You really have to wonder about the character of people who choose first to criticize with nary a positive comment coming from the bunch of them. And my "gushing" over this release is founded on Powerhouse/Indicator's track record and the press releases regarding the box set. I've made no declaration regarding anything I could not judge for myself. I am relying on the information provided by the folks behind this release. What's not to gush about if you love these films? I'll be checking my mailbox daily with anticipation. I love Ray Harryhausen's work. I spent many a Saturday at the theater and curled up on the sofa watching his wondrous films. That's where my enthusiasm was founded.

Last edited by AaronSch; 06-21-17 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-23-17, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well... just bit the bullet and placed an order. Still wondering if I'll receive it.

Hopefully it'll work out. Although they use PayPal (which I despise), there is "leave a note for the seller" feature when going thru the checkout. I left a short note (and also sent a note via Indicator's website contact link) explaining the situation and asking them to contact me if they think there might be a issue with delivery in the time frame I have.

Well, crap! Just realized release date is next Monday, which probably means no one will even see my notes before shipping.
Old 06-23-17, 04:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jon2
Well... just bit the bullet and placed an order. Still wondering if I'll receive it.

Hopefully it'll work out. Although they use PayPal (which I despise), there is "leave a note for the seller" feature when going thru the checkout. I left a short note (and also sent a note via Indicator's website contact link) explaining the situation and asking them to contact me if they think there might be a issue with delivery in the time frame I have.

Well, crap! Just realized release date is next Monday, which probably means no one will even see my notes before shipping.
Well they stated that they would be shipping early… A few days prior to release date if you ordered directly from the Powerhouse/Indicator website... i've been checking my mail hoping they already started shipping… It's obvious some people have gotten their hands on the set otherwise the caps a holic website wouldn't of had the ability to post the images. So hopefully they've already started the shipping process… I would love to receive the set tomorrow since it's so damn hot here in Phoenix I could do a marathon!

UPDATE: The Powerhouse/Indicator website now indicates the set is in stock and shipping immediately! Woo hoo!

Last edited by AaronSch; 06-23-17 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-23-17, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts

Jaymole, since you've dealt with Indicator, if you don't mind me asking, how long has it taken to get stuff from them?

P.S. Thanks!
sorry, I have never ordered from them directly, always through Amazon UK.
Old 06-23-17, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

FWIW, I'm in the process of responding to an email I just got from Indicator regarding my concern about the time it might take to receive my order.

I've been informed it should only take about 10 days, so I should be getting them about July 8. Which would be in keeping with orders I've received from Amazon UK.

Was also informed they have plans for 2 more Harryhausen boxsets in the coming months, but no further details... although I have a suspicion about what one of those boxsets might be.

I'm going to see if I can wrangle some more info about what those may contain. If I do, I'll keep you all posted.
Old 06-24-17, 07:22 AM
Banned

...they [Powerhouse/Indicator] have plans for 2 more Harryhausen boxsets in the coming months, but no further details... although I have a suspicion about what one of those box sets might be...
If this set is everything I am hoping it to be, I'll double dip without hesitation. Evidently they have the rights to 8 more Harryhausen films. Filled with a...n...t...i...c...i...p...a...t...i...o...n!
Old 06-24-17, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If this set is everything I am hoping it to be, I'll double dip without hesitation. Evidently they have the rights to 8 more Harryhausen films. Filled with a...n...t...i...c...i...p...a...t...i...o...n!
Same here, only in my case it'll be a case of triple dipping as I already double dipped when upgrading from DVDs to Blu.

But, hey... Ray's stuff is worth it.

Didn't know they had rights to 8 more flicks. Hope they get the same TLC and dedication the ST appears to have received.

I wonder if they'll try to theme the boxsets in some manner?
Old 06-24-17, 07:28 PM
Banned

I believe I read that on their Twitter or Facebook page...but I was hard pressed to come up with what they might be....unless they have somehow acquired the Warner Bros. stuff...

Here's the list of his features:

Mighty Joe Young (1949) (first technician)
The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms (1953) (visual effects)
It Came from Beneath the Sea (1955) (visual effects)
The Animal World (1956) (effects technician, documentary)
Earth vs. the Flying Saucers (1956) (special photographic, animation effects)
20 Million Miles to Earth (1957) (visual effects)
The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (1958) (associate producer, visual effects)
The Three Worlds of Gulliver (1960) (visual effects)
Mysterious Island (1961) (special visual effects)
Jason and the Argonauts (1963) (associate producer, visual effects)
First Men in the Moon (1964) (associate producer, visual effects)
One Million Years B.C. (1966) (special visual effects)
The Valley of Gwangi (1969) (associate producer, visual effects)
The Golden Voyage of Sinbad (1973) (producer, visual effects)
Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger (1977) (producer, visual effects)
Clash of the Titans (1981) (producer, visual effects)
Old 06-25-17, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

I believe I read that on their Twitter or Facebook page...but I was hard pressed to come up with what they might be....unless they have somehow acquired the Warner Bros. stuff...

Here's the list of his features:

Mighty Joe Young (1949) (first technician)
The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms (1953) (visual effects)
It Came from Beneath the Sea (1955) (visual effects)
The Animal World (1956) (effects technician, documentary)
Earth vs. the Flying Saucers (1956) (special photographic, animation effects)
20 Million Miles to Earth (1957) (visual effects)
The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (1958) (associate producer, visual effects)
The Three Worlds of Gulliver (1960) (visual effects)
Mysterious Island (1961) (special visual effects)
Jason and the Argonauts (1963) (associate producer, visual effects)
First Men in the Moon (1964) (associate producer, visual effects)
One Million Years B.C. (1966) (special visual effects)
The Valley of Gwangi (1969) (associate producer, visual effects)
The Golden Voyage of Sinbad (1973) (producer, visual effects)
Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger (1977) (producer, visual effects)
Clash of the Titans (1981) (producer, visual effects)
If they have 11 total, 5 must be eliminated from the list. The four WB(Mighty Joe Young, Beast From 20,000 Fathoms, Animal World, Gwangi).
The fifth would be One Million Years B.C. or Clash of Titans.
The rest are all Columbia which they've obviously made a deal with.
Old 06-25-17, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I watched something recently that had a Columbia Pictures copyright at the tail of the end credits- even though the disc was released by someone other than Sony. It might have been Clash.

It struck me odd because I never associated that film (whatever it was) with Columbia. Though checking just now, the DVD is still under Warner in the UK.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.