Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Sinbad Trilogy - Ray Harryhausen - Indicator Films

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Sinbad Trilogy - Ray Harryhausen - Indicator Films

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-17, 12:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Sinbad Trilogy - Ray Harryhausen - Indicator Films

Does Warner Bros. do any licensing? I believe they have done some in the past. The only one that comes to mind immediately is "Being There." It would be wonderful if Powerhouse/Indicator could release Harryhausen's entire library. I wish they would simply announce which titles are in their hands because I am wanting to pick up "Valley of the Gwangi" ...and Kino's release of "One Million Years B.C."
Old 06-25-17, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 249 Likes on 176 Posts

With 8 titles remaining, it's a safe bet that 7 of them are the Columbia titles.
The 8th is probably Clash of the Titans(MGM/UA).
One Million Years B.C., although owned outright by Fox in the U.S., has the added complication of being a Hammer title also. It's on Studio Canal in the UK. I wouldn't expect it to be one.
Several WB titles have been released by Criterion. House On Haunted Hill, although PD, WB gave Shout the official studio print to use for one of the Vincent Price sets.
WB has their own BDs of Mighty Joe Young, Beast FRom 20,000 Fathoms and Valley of Gwangi. Wouldn't count on these either.
Old 06-25-17, 03:46 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Trying hard to resist this set. While I love Harryhausen films and my current discs of these films would likey make my "if I could only grab one box" list, I only watch them every few years and still haven't watched all the special features. If it was closer to $10-15 a film I'd jump, but at this price I think I can resist the final 'submit order' click.
Old 06-25-17, 04:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Trevor
...If it was closer to $10-15 a film I'd jump, but at this price I think I can resist the final 'submit order' click.
Where were you planning to place your order? I ordered direct from Indicator at about $54 USD. That's not much considering the execution and content of this set. Especially considering what people pay for Twilight Time blu-ray discs and Criterion titles. But your affection for these films has to be a factor. They are producing 6000 region-free sets for worldwide distribution. Yeah, that's quite a bit but considering the interest at Blu-ray.com and other websites like DVDTalk, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it went OOP quickly. So, I simply didn't want to take that chance. If I didn't think I would feel regret I'd probably pass as well. However, for me, these films rank right up there with "Star Wars," "Indiana Jones," the "Universal Horror" films etc.... If I had to sell 20 titles in my library in order to afford this set, I would have done that in a heartbeat.

Last edited by AaronSch; 06-25-17 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-25-17, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Caps up now for 7th Voyage.

Definitely an improvement (and TBH, I didn't have a problem with the first release).

Kind of amazing, but in some cases it's almost like going from sd to HD for the improvements in the new scan over the previous Bd.
Old 06-25-17, 08:50 PM
Banned

Holy cow!

[

Last edited by AaronSch; 06-29-17 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-27-17, 03:49 PM

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Reviews are in at DVDBeaver. Sounds wonderful! just ordered 2 sets from Amazon uk. It was only 33 pounds there. Cheaper than ordering direct from Indicator and MUCH cheaper than amazon US.. with S&H and conversion it amounted to $95 USD. That's about $16/movie - not bad. (1 copy is for a friend)..

I only have these films in DVD format, so looking forward to the upgrade!

Last edited by cinemaman; 06-27-17 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-27-17, 05:12 PM
Banned

I just checked Amazon UK and it says £40.95 but shipping in 1 to 4 weeks...personally, not sure I would be comfortable with that. I believe it generally means they are out of stock already. When Amazon does that, you may run the risk of never receiving what you ordered.

Last edited by AaronSch; 06-29-17 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-27-17, 05:25 PM

Ok,Aaron's earlier post almost convinced me to take the plunge, but not quite. Then cinemaman convinces me by pointing out its roughly $19 cheaper thru amazon uk. Then Aaron scares me off again.
Old 06-27-17, 05:28 PM

well, I have ordered a lot from amazon - both US and UK - never had a problem with getting the shipment - even it if takes a few weeks.
Yes, amazon.uk says 40 pounds but when I added it to my cart it went down to 33!
Old 06-27-17, 05:35 PM

Resistance was futile. Ordered from amazon.co.uk for 46 US dollars shipped. Just over my usual $15 per film absolute maximum price, but I'll count the extra dollar for the booklet.
Old 06-27-17, 05:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Trevor
Resistance was futile. Ordered from amazon.co.uk for 46 US dollars shipped. Just over my usual $15 per film absolute maximum price, but I'll count the extra dollar for the booklet.
I suspect when it arrives you'll be incredibly happy you took the plunge...especially if it goes OOP swiftly! It'll also put a smile on your face and make ya feel like a kid again.
Old 06-27-17, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cinemaman
well, I have ordered a lot from amazon - both US and UK - never had a problem with getting the shipment - even it if takes a few weeks.
Yes, amazon.uk says 40 pounds but when I added it to my cart it went down to 33!
The prices are shown with 20% VAT added in.

You'll still see those prices when you view your cart, but when you are on the page ready to submit the order- after Amazon knows where the package is going- it's removes that VAT for shipments to the US.
Old 06-28-17, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Just bought from U.K. Amazon...price has gone up slightly, a hair over $49, unless shipping to CA is what made it slightly more expensive for me. It should hopefully arrive around July 26th. I suspect I will have no regrets...not a collector, but I grew up watching and loving Harryhausen films.
Old 06-28-17, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

I don't see it on the listing but are these set subtitled or close-caption since I'm hearing impaired?
Old 06-29-17, 12:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dom56
I don't see it on the listing but are these set subtitled or close-caption since I'm hearing impaired?
I would wait a few more days. As people start receiving their sets I'm sure they will be giving a full report of the contents. I'll post as soon as mine arrives unless someone beats me to it...
Old 06-29-17, 07:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been on the fence about this release as well. I'm feeling you Trevor.....
Old 06-29-17, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by AaronSch
I would wait a few more days. As people start receiving their sets I'm sure they will be giving a full report of the contents. I'll post as soon as mine arrives unless someone beats me to it...
Okay, thank.
Old 06-29-17, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Mine is being prepared for dispatch, actually excited to get this set. It will also be only the 2nd Blu Ray set I have purchased in my life that is an import, the other being the Police Academy set I bought on Amazon several years back.
Old 06-30-17, 07:17 PM

mine just shipped from Amazon.uk. May take a few weeks, but it is on its way!
Old 07-01-17, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dom56
Optional English subs on all three films according to Mondo-Digital

Really getting excited for this release. I pre-ordered as soon as it hit Amazon, but I canceled and re-ordered several times to try to leverage shipping costs on other stuff. I guess at this point I'm bumped so far to the back of the line it's gonna be a while before they actually dispatch mine.

Just hope I get it before the end of the month as I'm gonna be away for almost three months starting in August. If there are any issues when it arrives, I wanna be able to contact Amazon immediately.
Old 07-01-17, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cool, I will order it from Amazon.
Old 07-04-17, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone who ordered from Indicator/powerHouse received their copy yet? Or any notification that it is on it's way? Or how it is being delivered?

Paypal sent me a notice that my payment went thru. I also got an email from John at powerHouse that stated orders would be leaving the Sony Distribution Centre on June 26 and should arrive in 10 days... give or take... which would make this weekend my approximate delivery date.
Old 07-04-17, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've had stuff from the UK show up in as short as about 8 days, and as longs 3+ weeks.

Delivery times are up to the vagaries of two countries postal systems.
Old 07-04-17, 09:18 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd buy '7th Voyage' in a heartbeat, but 'Eye of the Tiger' UK bluray transfer doesn't impress me, and I've not read anything about the transfer of 'Golden Voyage'

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.