Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek TNG remastered on its way for 2012

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-11, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really surprised no one else has posted this yet.
So TNG really is going to come to Bluray and it looks like we are going to get a sampler disc by the end of THIS YEAR, and then an actual release sometime in 2012.
Multiple sources I spoke with at Comic-Con have also confirmed our report from earlier this year that CBS is hard at work on Star Trek: The Next Generation - Remastered for Blu-ray release starting sometime in 2012. The latest word is that 4 test episodes are currently being worked on for release as a sampler/demo BD disc of the project, and that sampler disc will somehow be available to fans by the end of this year. Watch for additional news in the months ahead
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

definately want to make sure i get my hands on one of the sampler discs when they come out before end of the year.
Old 07-26-11, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Star Trek TNG remastered on its way for 2012

I don't necessarily care about this, but I have a friend who's going to shit his pants over this news. Certainly sounds promising for fans of the series.
Old 07-26-11, 04:17 PM

I like the Remastered editions of Star Trek TOS so I would love to see this. I have no problem with new FX and if they want to really make the set great there should be a feature that deletes Wesley Crusher from all the earlier episodes.
Old 07-26-11, 04:27 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
Really surprised no one else has posted this yet.
So TNG really is going to come to Bluray and it looks like we are going to get a sampler disc by the end of THIS YEAR, and then an actual release sometime in 2012.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

definately want to make sure i get my hands on one of the sampler discs when they come out before end of the year.
Ditto that I do want to get my hands on one of the samppler/demo discs!!!! Can't wait!!!! Hope the blu-ray releases contain all the bonus material from the dvd season relases, the material from the "Best Buy exclusive" discs, the material from the complete series on dvd, plus some new BD Exclusive extras.

Some cool new extras IMHO should include: Lcars Style Menus, acess to the Captain's Log, "Virtual tours" of the interworkings of Data, The/A Borg(bot), and Geordi La Forge's VISOR, and Much More!!!!!!

Again Can't Wait For ST:TNG on Blu-ray or Star Trek 2(012)!!!
Old 07-26-11, 04:34 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by rick_deckard
I have no problem with new FX and if they want to really make the set great there should be a feature that deletes Wesley Crusher from all the earlier episodes.
UM, No he was kinda cool! Having two Crushers on board the Enterprise-D added an addition family element to the series, which I really liked!!!!

Last edited by darthtron; 07-30-11 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-26-11, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by darthtron
Ditto that I do want to get my hands on one of the samppler/demo discs!!!! Can't wait!!!! Hope the blu-ray releases contain all the bonus material from the dvd season relases, the material from the "Best Buy exclusive" discs, the material from the complete series on dvd, plus some new BD Exclusive extras.

Some cool new extras IMHO should include: Lcars Style Menus, acess to the Captain's Log, "Virtual tours" of the interworkings of Data, The/A Borg(bot), and Geordi La Forge's VISOR, and Much More!!!!!!

Again Can't Wait For ST:TNG on Blu-ray or Star Trek 2(012)!!!
unfortunately star Trek XII wont be filming till january at the earliest now acording to Orci and Kurtzman. So chance of even a december 2012 release are unlikely now, its probably not going to be till summer 2013
Old 07-26-11, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The one show in dire need of this restoration alongside TNG is of course Deep Space Nine. Shame that's "not popular enough" to warrant such a restoration.

I'd never buy the entire series of this on Blu-ray if it syndicates in HD, but I'd definitely welcome that sampler.
Old 07-26-11, 06:00 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

If they are releasing a sampler disc they must be pretty confident that the show will look good in HD, I'm excited!
Old 07-26-11, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
The one show in dire need of this restoration alongside TNG is of course Deep Space Nine. Shame that's "not popular enough" to warrant such a restoration.

I'd never buy the entire series of this on Blu-ray if it syndicates in HD, but I'd definitely welcome that sampler.
this is actually a misconception DS9 is indeed very popular.
its just those who dislike it tend to be a little more vocal on message boards for some reason.
but especially the latter seasons once the extended seasons long story arcs began are very popular.
In fact the popularity of DS9 season long story arcs are one the things that helped paved the way for shows like 24, by showing that there were mass audiences that were more than willing to follow a season(s) long story arc, if the show was well produced and written and acted.
Old 07-26-11, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Wasn't this shot on 480i video?
Old 07-26-11, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Nah, it was shot on film but they had to edit in video because the effects where done on video.
Old 07-26-11, 10:14 PM

No, ST:TNG was shot on 35mm film. The special effects were completed in 480i video.. They will redo the special effects in HD just as they did with ST: TOS.
Old 07-26-11, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Would they still be 4:3 AR? Kinda would be nice to see them in full HD widescreen.
Old 07-26-11, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Wasn't this shot on 480i video?
Nope, it was shot on film. The film was transferred to video and edited on video.

Originally Posted by Admiral7
No, ST:TNG was shot on 35mm film. The special effects were completed in 480i video.. They will redo the special effects in HD just as they did with ST: TOS.
Pretty much true, BUT a lot of the Enterprise shots where shot and composited on film then transferred to video. I would be willing to bet most of the ship footage will only have to be re-transfered rather than recreated with CGI. There were also several times all the elements where shot on film but composited on video, these elements would only have to be recomposited for HD. Phaser blasts and other similar effects will require new CGI effects.

Originally Posted by Ranger
Would they still be 4:3 AR? Kinda would be nice to see them in full HD widescreen.
They were framed for 4:3, I'd be willing to bet they would stay that way.
They kept that framing for the Original Trek, I'm sure they will do the same for TNG.
Old 07-26-11, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
this is actually a misconception DS9 is indeed very popular.
its just those who dislike it tend to be a little more vocal on message boards for some reason.
but especially the latter seasons once the extended seasons long story arcs began are very popular.
In fact the popularity of DS9 season long story arcs are one the things that helped paved the way for shows like 24, by showing that there were mass audiences that were more than willing to follow a season(s) long story arc, if the show was well produced and written and acted.
You may love it and I may love it, but when Paramount looks at "Star Trek" as a whole, DS9 is indeed not worth not enough to spend the money on for restoring it the way TNG is. Its not a matter of how good or influential it was, or what people on message boards think of the show, it's all about the numbers, the cash.

That is all I mean. TNG is lucrative enough from a financial standpoint to be worth the HD upgrading just as TOS was, but DS9, Voyager and Enterprise (which was HD already so its not an issue with regards to spending the money to restore / upgrade) are not nearly as financially viable. Enterprise could be on Blu-ray yesterday if Paramount thought they'd make money selling it. Clearly that's not the case. That is what every industry person who is asked on HTF, Blu-ray.com and many other places that industry insiders communicate online usually explains.
Old 07-27-11, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You may love it and I may love it, but when Paramount looks at "Star Trek" as a whole, DS9 is indeed not worth not enough to spend the money on for restoring it the way TNG is. Its not a matter of how good or influential it was, or what people on message boards think of the show, it's all about the numbers, the cash.

That is all I mean. TNG is lucrative enough from a financial standpoint to be worth the HD upgrading just as TOS was, but DS9, Voyager and Enterprise (which was HD already so its not an issue with regards to spending the money to restore / upgrade) are not nearly as financially viable. Enterprise could be on Blu-ray yesterday if Paramount thought they'd make money selling it. Clearly that's not the case. That is what every industry person who is asked on HTF, Blu-ray.com and many other places that industry insiders communicate online usually explains.
It was always in the top 5 in the rating for weekly syndicated shows. more often than not in the top 3. the dvd sales were always very very strong for the seasons as well.
at some point in the future when the costs to do the work drops its not beyond the realm of possibilties that it will end up on bluray, either with select episodes or even entire seasons.
never said to expect it right away, obviously thats not going to happen, just stating that it was not as you described it as being un popular.

if The experiment with an HD remaster of TNG proves succesfull and a money maker its entirely possible we will see ds9 one day.

Now if they dont end up making money off the TNG remasters then well yeah well never see DS9 or voyager on bd

Enterprise and the animated series will probably see a release at some point as well to since (as you stated for enterprise) they are for the most part ready to go for bd release. its just all about the timing.
after all it wasnt that long ago that we were told the likelyhood of seeing a TNG remasterd was slim to none, and see how that has changed.
Old 07-27-11, 02:42 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Any Voyager fans out there? I'm probably one of the few that would like to see that on Blu
Old 07-27-11, 10:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fok
Any Voyager fans out there? I'm probably one of the few that would like to see that on Blu
I love Voyager and am now re-watching the series. Also, I think it looks the least dated of all the Trek series, and certainly "looks" the best on DVD.
Old 07-27-11, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

The current DVDs are really poorly done, it'll be nice just to not have compression artifacts every other scene.
Old 07-27-11, 12:11 PM

Voyager seasons 1 to 3 I loved, while I will never sit through seasons 4 through 7 ever again as long as I live.
Old 07-27-11, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Voyager seasons 1 to 3 I loved, while I will never sit through seasons 4 through 7 ever again as long as I live.
Why do you hate 7 of 9?
Old 07-27-11, 01:59 PM

I don't hate Seven, it just happened to be that from season 4 onward, the show became such a dull chore to watch. I always compared it to washing dishes or laundry - something I hated to do but had to put up with it.

I didn't like or hate her at all, but thanks to her the Borg became far too overexposed and therefore far less of a threat. Plus it always bothered me how the Doctor went from being this cold asshole to sickly-sweet. I'm all for evolving the characters but his was too extreme in that sense. There's more, much much more but this thread isn't about Voyager, so...

I'll never watch seasons 4 to 7 again. 1 to 3 is fine.
Old 07-27-11, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Day 1 purchase. No doubt.
Old 07-28-11, 01:16 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I want it!

I don't see myself buying the sampler disc though, as I intend on purchasing the full set. Hope they will do a whole 7-season box.
Old 07-28-11, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

I want this series for sure when it's out. Hopefully Paramount puts them out at a reasonable price like they did with TOS. If they're priced over $100 a pop like the DVD sets were I'll pass.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.