Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

How do you decide which Bluray to watch?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.
View Poll Results: How do you decide which Bluray to watch?
start with new releases
3.03%
start with older cult or classic movie
3.03%
start with comfort movie
3.03%
start with rental (Netflix, Red Box, etc.) movie
6.06%
start with something just got in mail (which may include above)
0%
whatever I'm in the mood for
63.64%
Other, please specify...
15.15%
What are you high?
6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

How do you decide which Bluray to watch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-21, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
Re: How do you decide which Bluray to watch?

1. Watch newly purchased
2. Watch something haven't watched in a while.
3. Horror/thriller
Old 06-04-21, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

I almost always have to narrow it down by genre first before diving into my huge collection. Newer purchases don't always get priority because my backlog is so tremendous.
The following users liked this post:
JANK (06-04-21)
Old 06-04-21, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

When the pandemic was at its height and everything locked down, I really hit my collection hard. It was a great distraction. Like many, I had early problems picking out something to watch, but then I'd see little patterns start to emerge and just follow that. For instance, for a while, the next movie I'd watch needed to be connected somehow to the previous one, whether it be an actor, director, composer, writer, some common link. Then I did weeks by decade. I'd start with 20s and 30s for a week, then 40s and so on. Next, I did a shelf thing, where I would do a week where everything I watched had to come from one shelf. That essentially was alphabetical. But putting so many restrictions on what to watch ultimately made it a lot easier to pick out something and forced me to revisit movies I hadn't seen in a really long time. It was a good reminder why I bought some movies in the first place!
The following 2 users liked this post by clckworang:
JANK (06-04-21), Josh Z (06-04-21)
Old 09-26-21, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

I used to spend way too much time trying to select a movie to watch. So much so that there were nights that by the time I finally selected something, I'd watch about ten minutes and fall asleep. It got even worse after I got married and me and the wife had to agree on what to watch, so we developed a system to select movies. We started by each selecting ten movies we wanted to watch, broken down by category (New Releases, All Time Favorites, Foreign, B&W/Classics, New Purchases, etc). Throughout the week, we would alternate selecting a movie and then at the end of the week we would replace the empty spots in the same manner with a rule that you couldn't replace anything on the list. We kept the list on a white board with all our physical media.
The following users liked this post:
OldBoy (09-26-21)
Old 09-26-21, 06:06 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

It really is sickness, but I’ve been going with mood. Comfort and mood movies. Free Guy yesterday was perfect. Finished Almost Famous yesterday. Was going to watch either Breakdown or Halloween (2018). In mood for both but I think I want lighter. Maybe start up Once Upon…Hollywood. Been meaning to give another go since I loved 1st time and yearn to see again, but also want to see Halloween before Kill. This is what kills me.

Last edited by OldBoy; 09-26-21 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-26-21, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I usually try to start with films I've either newly purchased or films I haven't seen before.

Outside that, the choice is made by whatever mood I'm in.
Old 09-27-21, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
It really is sickness, but I’ve been going with mood. Comfort and mood movies. Free Guy yesterday was perfect. Finished Almost Famous yesterday. Was going to watch either Breakdown or Halloween (2018). In mood for both but I think I want lighter. Maybe start up Once Upon…Hollywood. Been meaning to give another go since I loved 1st time and yearn to see again, but also want to see Halloween before Kill. This is what kills me.
How were you able to watch Free Guy?
Old 09-28-21, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

I did better when I recently decided to plan ahead for the weekend (when I get into the collected discs). However, last weekend I went in blind and found that in the middle of watching my choice, I thought of another film I should have watched instead.