Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Indicator Harryhausen Box Sets

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 07-12-17, 04:15 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Well, after the sinbad set (see separate thread), Indicator has started on the new box set : THE WONDERFUL WORLDS OF RAY HARRYHAUSEN, VOLUME ONE: 1955-1960 http://www.powerhousefilms.co.uk/pro...me-1-1955-1960

Looks like the same packaging as the Sinbad set and volume 1 is a good indication of future releases..

Surprised at the inclusion of the colorized versions. Are these using the same transfers as the US set?

At $45 for 3 films per set (assuming that is what Amazon UK will eventually sell these for,) Indicator releases could be a budget item for me!!

Haven't received my Sinbad set so can't comment on quality or how I feel about these packages.

While these films have never been released in the UK, there are already some nice BD versions of IT Came from beneath, and 20 million miles in the US. I don't have any Ray's stuff on BD, but wondering if it is really worth the increased cost to get this set over the US BD versions? Not sure about Gulliver, but that wouldn't have much replay in my household anyhow..

May wait for DVDBeaver to say something... though these are limited to 6000 copies, like the last one.

Note: this set is not available until September. Up for pre-order now. So, technically, they could sell out before availability date.

Question is: after the limited sets are sold out - what would they offer? nothing? Just the BDs (no dual format)? No book? I think just the movies in BD at a reduced price may not be a bad thing....

Last edited by cinemaman; 07-13-17 at 06:22 AM.
Old 07-15-17, 12:08 PM

Re: Indicator Harryhausen Box Sets

Amazon.uk now has it up for preorder.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071VT64...hausen+blu+ray

$72??? that's slightly higher than ordering directly from indicator....

why is this set so much higher at Amazon than the last one?

Last edited by cinemaman; 07-15-17 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-15-17, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Originally Posted by cinemaman
Surprised at the inclusion of the colorized versions. Are these using the same transfers as the US set?
It sure sounds like it.
Old 07-15-17, 03:57 PM

well, I might sit this one out.. the US 20 million year/IT BD combo is currently selling for $10 I can do without the DVDs and booklet... Not sure what I could get the TT Gulliver movie for.... but still should be cheaper than the Indicator set.... we'll see!

note: That 20 Mill/IT combo may not have the extras from the individual discs. This might change things for me... Otherwise I would need to keep by DVDs - which kinda defeats the purpose to 'upgrade'

hmmm....may wait for some reviews before I splurge on this one.

Last edited by cinemaman; 07-15-17 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-20-17, 07:15 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll double dip, just give me the Indicator issue of THE SEVENTH OF SINBAD...and I'll be a happy camper.
Old 07-21-17, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by sparks
I'll double dip, just give me the Indicator issue of THE SEVENTH OF SINBAD...and I'll be a happy camper.
Doesn't matter. Just bought the box set from Powerhouse in England.

Also, just put up the 3 BDs (2 TT/Columbia) up on eBay. Should sell those right away.
Old 08-02-17, 07:51 PM

Just received it in the mail, number 83 of 6000!
Old 08-03-17, 06:50 AM

Sparks- Congratulations! Assuming you are referring to Sinbad set? is the other set out yet? let me know what you think of the PQ transfers. Thanks.
Old 08-03-17, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts

well, I might sit this one out.. the US 20 million year/IT BD combo is currently selling for $10 I can do without the DVDs and booklet... Not sure what I could get the TT Gulliver movie for.... but still should be cheaper than the Indicator set.... we'll see!

note: That 20 Mill/IT combo may not have the extras from the individual discs. This might change things for me... Otherwise I would need to keep by DVDs - which kinda defeats the purpose to 'upgrade'

hmmm....may wait for some reviews before I splurge on this one.
Keep in mind the combo BD is from Mill Creek (known for their middling at best PQ), with no extra features-that's what finally motivated me to pick up the Columbia/Sony singles (which have a satisfactory number of extras).
I never bought TT's "Gulliver", but I consider that a marginal Harryhausen film, particularly at that price.
Old 08-03-17, 06:44 PM

Sparks- Congratulations! Assuming you are referring to Sinbad set? is the other set out yet? let me know what you think of the PQ transfers. Thanks.
Hey Cinemaman,

Just compared the Columbia to the Powerhouse 7th Voyage of Sinbad...It's like watching a DVD and then watching a BD...there is that much difference!

It's almost a completely different movie it's so clear, sharp and with beautiful color.

Don't know anything about the extras, I don't care about them, just the movie.

I'm so glad I got this set, just wish my Twilight Times would sell on eBay, I'm almost giving them away!

Last edited by sparks; 08-03-17 at 07:48 PM.