Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Ultra HD Blu-ray really worth the upgrade? (split from the DVD/BD sales thread)

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Is Ultra HD Blu-ray really worth the upgrade? (split from the DVD/BD sales thread)

Old 06-29-17, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts
Re: Is Ultra HD Blu-ray really worth the upgrade? (split from the DVD/BD sales thread

Well, since this thread has been bumped (but looks like I missed some interesting posts) and I now have UHD, I'll answer No. Granted the black levels on my LG TV aren't very good so I'm probably missing most of the benefits of HDR, but in a nutshell not worth giving up 3D for (which was the main thing I bought the TV for, 3D works MUCH better than my old one!)
Old 06-29-17, 10:56 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts
Re: Is Ultra HD Blu-ray really worth the upgrade? (split from the DVD/BD sales thread

So, there is no 4K tv with 3D?
Old 06-29-17, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
So, there is no 4K tv with 3D?
There are a fair number (LG's E6 from last year, for instance), but AFAIK, no manufacturer -- UHD or otherwise -- has a 3D-capable display in their 2017 product lines. If you want UHD and 3D, you'll need to get your hands on an older display.
Old 07-01-17, 04:18 PM

And 4K discs cannot do 3D, period. Lots of movies are available in either 3D regular Blu-Ray or 2D 4K disc (a few even have them both in the same package), but 4K in 3D doesn't exist at least yet, so given the choice guess which one I buy? The biggest advantage of 3D on a 4K TV though is they can do passive without the noticeable loss in resolution that the first passive sets had.
Old 07-02-17, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've mentioned in other threads that by doing an A/B comparison there is a noticeable difference. Some big some small. Would I run out and double dip? No. But for the extra $5 I'm happy to buy the 4K UHD title when it's available. I only buy on average one title a month and most of that is with RZ $$.

Aaron I know you are not on board with the 4K discs and that is your prerogative. Look at the shit people buy. Numerous copies of the same title because of different slip covers or collector packaging. I wouldn't waste a penny on that stuff. But I'm sure they wouldn't invest in a car they drive 200 miles a summer then put it back in storage like I do.

I have 12 UHD titles. That means I spent $60 of Monopoly money on the better format.
Old 07-02-17, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

I don't regret my upgrade, enjoying my 4k TV and player. Watching a UHD movie and then a blu-ray afterwards, I can see a small loss of detail in the Blu.

Ive replaced a few favorite movies with an UHD upgrade, but dont feel the need for everything. But going forward I have been getting new releases in UHD. And having a blu-ray combo is a lot more appealing that DVD.
Old 07-03-17, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stingermck
I don't regret my upgrade, enjoying my 4k TV and player. Watching a UHD movie and then a blu-ray afterwards, I can see a small loss of detail in the Blu.

Ive replaced a few favorite movies with an UHD upgrade, but dont feel the need for everything. But going forward I have been getting new releases in UHD. And having a blu-ray combo is a lot more appealing that DVD.
There are a couple I have on HD-DVD coming out in 4K I would upgrade. Apollo 13 and Serenity I'll probably spring for.
Old 08-06-17, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I'm one of you now! I got a 65" LG B7 today, and I'll have a Marantz SR-6012 on Tuesday. We're building a new house now, and I'm going to get one of the rooms wired with 4 height speakers so I can be part of the Atmos club too.

Now I just have to make sure this TV survives two moves before the year's out.

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 08-06-17 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-06-17, 08:38 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Wire for 6 height speakers. Might as well future proof. Dolby already has the specs for it.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/sp...tup-guide.html

Old 08-06-17, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by E Unit
Wire for 6 height speakers. Might as well future proof. Dolby already has the specs for it.
That's what Josh Z suggested as well. I know borderline-nothing about Atmos, so I just want to make sure that if I wire for 6 that it doesn't compromise mounting 4 in the meantime. Those conversations are a while off, so I guess I have time to learn!
Old 08-06-17, 08:45 PM
Banned by request

It is so worth it, I promise you that. Atmos greatly increases the experience. 4 or 6 will be great either way.
Old 08-07-17, 02:26 AM

Didn't know there was a 7012, I have the 7011 and the sound is great but it was VERY frustrating to set up even by my standards. Worst thing is the HDMI inputs are VERY finicky and you may need a "Doctor HDMI" box for some things to work with it. I almost sent mine back but it spent some time at a service center and the Marantz support people were reasonably helpful.
Old 08-07-17, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I know borderline-nothing about Atmos, so I just want to make sure that if I wire for 6 that it doesn't compromise mounting 4 in the meantime. Those conversations are a while off, so I guess I have time to learn!
If you have enough placement flexibility, the ideal locations for Top Front and Top Rear speakers are 45-degrees in front of you and 45-degrees behind, respectively. Both sets should be in line with your left and right front mains. If you can do that, you'll be good for both 7.1.4 and a future upgrade to 7.1.6.

Top Middles should be above your head, but slightly forward of your seating position (because human hearing is poor with sounds from directly overhead).

Don't worry if you can't get things exactly to these guidelines. Ballparking it will still be fine. Most sounds that go overhead are either ambient effects (wind, rain, etc.) or other sounds that don't require pinpoint precision so long as you're in the right range.
Old 08-07-17, 09:26 AM
Banned by request

I installed mounts that allowed me to pivot the height speakers, and that's worked out pretty well so far.
Old 10-11-17, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I'm one of you now! I got a 65" LG B7 today, and I'll have a Marantz SR-6012 on Tuesday. We're building a new house now, and I'm going to get one of the rooms wired with 4 height speakers so I can be part of the Atmos club too.
Holy Schnikes!

Can you adopt me, or give me an inheritance or something?

What was your previous equipment?
Old 10-11-17, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Music
Can you adopt me, or give me an inheritance or something?
The crazy thing is how much less expensive everything's gotten. The 65" OLED, UHD/9.2 receiver, and wiring for Atmos / the other surrounds combined still cost less than my previous display alone: a 60" Kuro PRO-151FD back in 2008.

Even though I replaced a 60" with a 65", the total width/height are almost identical, since the Kuro had a huge bezel and the B7 has almost none. The B7 is also less than half the weight, which makes it nice to move. I cannot get over how gorgeous everything looks on the OLED. Who would've guessed that even something like The Great British Baking Show on Netflix would make my jaw drop?

My old receiver was a Pioneer VSX-1123. (I had to replace it because it doesn't do Atmos, doesn't have HDCP 2.2 so can't handle anything really in UHD, doesn't do HDR, etc.) I'm keeping my current speakers. I haven't completely landed on what the Atmos speakers will be.

I'm very far from wealthy , but I've been holding off on an upgrade in anticipation of the new house, and since I won't be doing this again for probably close to another decade, I might as well make it worth it!

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 10-11-17 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-11-17, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts

I had to replace my Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K Receiver when I bought my 4K TV, but could only afford a cheap receiver for right now.

I got the Yamaha RX-V381 and am not really happy with it.

I had it connected to the TV via the ARC port and both the receiver and/or the TV would turn on randomly.

I get handshake issues where I have to change the receiver input back and forth for it to not drop out.

The sub output is crap.

Sometime next year, I will get a much better receiver.
Old 10-12-17, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It is so worth it, I promise you that. Atmos greatly increases the experience. 4 or 6 will be great either way.
I am bummed I can't take advantage of ATMOS. We have a vaulted ceiling in the room which would involve major construction to try and run speakers into the ceiling.

I checked with a local home theater provider and any setup they have for upfiring speakers only work with floor standing speakers and mine are smaller wall mount.
Old 04-04-19, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts
Re: Is Ultra HD Blu-ray really worth the upgrade? (split from the DVD/BD sales thread)

I may eat my words a little bit but I've yet to actually upgrade but it's totally not out of the question now. I experienced my first film in Dolby CInema last week, so my mind has been buzzing at the possibilities of bringing that same sort of level to my home theater with a 4k/Atmos.

I'm pricing and budgeting for a new system. I'm not gonna spend ridiculous amounts of money. I'm thinking of about $1500 and I've actually priced one for about $1300 that just includes the 4k tv, UHD player, Atmos receiver, and the two satellite speakers.

I don't have a timeframe but I'm sure prices will go even lower by the time I actually buy everything.
Old 04-04-19, 10:18 PM
Banned by request

Re: Is Ultra HD Blu-ray really worth the upgrade? (split from the DVD/BD sales thread)

Always check sales, especially Fry’s if you happen to have one near you. They regularly have great deals for speaker systems. Also, the first set I used when I set up an Atmos system was a hybrid of different brands. I used Pioneer and Sony surround speakers and they worked great. There are also many good receivers that can give you a great sound with a basic Atmos setup.
Old 04-04-19, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Always check sales, especially Fry’s if you happen to have one near you. They regularly have great deals for speaker systems. Also, the first set I used when I set up an Atmos system was a hybrid of different brands. I used Pioneer and Sony surround speakers and they worked great. There are also many good receivers that can give you a great sound with a basic Atmos setup.
That $1300 estimate was done all on Amazon. There's a Frys over in Burbank that I can go to and I do get their emails almost daily. I don't need a new primary speaker system - I have a badass JBL/Infinity sound system that rocks hard. I just need the two Atmos speakers and those are from Onkyo and are like $78 on Amazon.
Old 04-05-19, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Seeing this thread bumped, I see I went from 12 to 56 UHD titles in less than 2 years. I will admit it got me excited about collecting again and I am bummed when new releases do not come in 4K. Even though I am adding titles I have been successful in cleaning off the shelves of dust collectors. I usually pull off two old ones for every new one I buy.

I don't have an ATMOS specific receiver but my Pioneer Elite is a premium receiver. I absolutely can hear a difference in the sound even in HD-DTS
Old 04-05-19, 12:14 PM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

I bought everything through Crutchfield.

If you can use pieces from your older system even better.
Old 04-05-19, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I also have a Pioneer Elite that I really don't want to upgrade. The thing is a beast in weight and power. I remember when I went to an audio store when I was first shopping and the guy said never buy a receiver that you can easily lift with one hand, because the quality receivers are going to have a lot more internal components that add weight. My current receiver weighs over 40 pounds.
Old 04-05-19, 12:33 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I'm in the same boat. Paid a ton of money for the Denon AVR-4308 some 10 years ago, and it's also a beast in all respects. Although it doesn't do Atmos, I get a tremendous 7.1 sound field with this receiver, so I'm reluctant to retire it early just to add the ability for ceiling speakers.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.