Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Ultra HD Blu-ray really worth the upgrade? (split from the DVD/BD sales thread)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Is Ultra HD Blu-ray really worth the upgrade? (split from the DVD/BD sales thread)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-16, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Re: Is Ultra HD Blu-ray really worth the upgrade? (split from the DVD/BD sales thread

Originally Posted by OldBoy
dude...it's not worth it for him. he's bitter about something and has problems with every new format. no sense in continuing the argument with this one...
Why dont you go try to learn how to do a google search.

Originally Posted by trespoochies
I suppose so, just hoping for a stronger argument. Nothing yet.
There is no argument. It is plain as day.
Old 12-23-16, 01:46 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Is Ultra HD Blu-ray really worth the upgrade? (split from the DVD/BD sales thread

And you have no proof at all. Provide something and we can start a countdown as to when 3D will come to an end.
Old 12-23-16, 02:59 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 906 Likes on 766 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
Why dont you go try to learn how to do a google search.
ouch. that's original!
Old 12-23-16, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,407 Likes on 1,030 Posts

So how cheap are players now ? Can I assume full backwards compatibility with Blu and DVD ? Up conversion?

And one other thing: CD playback? HDCD? It seems like none of the Blu ray players do that.
Old 12-23-16, 07:39 PM
Banned by request

They're dropping into the $200 range now, although I got in on the Philips BDP7501 for $96 from Nebraska Furniture Mart - regular price is around $230. Per the manual, the player supports: UHD, BD, DVD, DVD-RW, CD, AVDHD, JPG, MP3, MP4, MPEG2, AAC, WAV, FLAC, and DLNA (video/music/photo). Amusing part is that it only has two apps - Netflix, and YouTube.
Old 12-23-16, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

They're dropping into the $200 range now, although I got in on the Philips BDP7501 for $96 from Nebraska Furniture Mart - regular price is around $230. Per the manual, the player supports: UHD, BD, DVD, DVD-RW, CD, AVDHD, JPG, MP3, MP4, MPEG2, AAC, WAV, FLAC, and DLNA (video/music/photo). Amusing part is that it only has two apps - Netflix, and YouTube.

May have to jump in on that one. Should play SACD and DVD-Audio, but I'll take it as is.
Old 12-23-16, 08:32 PM
Banned by request

Actually, even though the manual doesn't call out DVD-Audio, I can confirm the player does read those discs. Just threw one in right now and it started right up. Don't have any SACD though, but I'll wager it may work.
Old 12-23-16, 09:37 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
May have to jump in on that one. Should play SACD and DVD-Audio, but I'll take it as is.
Save up for the Oppo. It's reasonably priced at $549.
Old 12-23-16, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Bought my 1st ever UHD tonight. Target has all their movies at 20% today only and went ahead and picked up The Magnificent Seven. I got an XBox One S a few days ago.

Was planning on getting the M7 BD with the bonus disc (sold out), but for $21.59 plus tax and an extra 5% off with my Target card, I went ahead and got the UHD.
Old 12-24-16, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
Save up for the Oppo. It's reasonably priced at $549.

I heard that there was probably going to be a newer model to that one in a few months. Granted, just a rumor.
Old 12-24-16, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Actually, even though the manual doesn't call out DVD-Audio, I can confirm the player does read those discs. Just threw one in right now and it started right up.
You do know that DVD-Audio discs also include tracks playable on regular DVD players, with lower-res audio and without the capability to browse still-frames while the music keeps playing?

As for 3D releases, they're still doing OK with the exception of Disney which is playing on-again, off-again with the format. The Ben-Hur remake didn't get a 3D release at least in the US, which would've been my only reason for buying that movie, only other recent non-Disney snub was "The Wild Life" from Lionsgate which hardly anybody saw anyways. 1969's The Stewardesses just came out and there's a number of other classics forthcoming, including The Mad Magician- I doubt those older movies sell as much as 3D or 2D new releases, but obviously they're selling enough to keep putting them out. (Voting with my dollars, I bought "Storks" this week at Target at near-full price, just because I could afford to and wanted to thank them for carrying it. Target hasn't been carrying EVERY 3D title lately, had to order "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" online. Target did have the 2D 4K disc of that.)
Old 12-24-16, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I heard that there was probably going to be a newer model to that one in a few months. Granted, just a rumor.
That's the audiophile version: the 205. The biggest difference between them by far will be the price (around $1200). If you use HDMI rather than analog for your audio then you won't need it.
Old 12-24-16, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Not sure where you see they're extremely limited. Studios are still making and releasing them in 3D. There's been no slowdown at all. Hardware support I can agree with you with, which makes it more confusing that there's still a healthy amount of 3D still being made. But I can't recall the last time we've seen movies in theaters where there weren't any 3D showing of some kind.
Really hasn't been much of a slowdown in 3D releases. Even Disney has resumed 3D releases as we all know. That said the sales are not quite what they used to be, at least in terms of market share percentage among all discs sold on a particular 3D title.

The real issue going forward obviously is hardware support. If 3D continues to be excluded on all but the highest of the high end models then it will certainly continue to erode software sales down the road, and eventually, the number of releases as well. That's why I think it'd be good for 3D to be included with the UHD like Sony is doing.
Old 12-24-16, 09:04 AM
Banned by request

Yeah, the 3D hardware support needs to really ramp up. I'm hoping the 2017 TV's will start supporting it again on an overall basis. Interesting is that the Phillips UHD player doesn't mention anywhere it supports 3D, but it does support its playback. Likewise with the Samsung players as well.
Old 12-24-16, 04:24 PM

I don't get why they don't include 3D output on EVERY Blu-Ray player. DTS sound had a similar problem on standard DVD, the first generation players couldn't output that but every player after that could- it's just a matter of a signal going out saying that it's there or not, no big expense or anything. Just another barrier.
Old 12-24-16, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
ouch. that's original!
And yet, you still don't know how to do it. Go figure.
Old 12-25-16, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I don't get why they don't include 3D output on EVERY Blu-Ray player. DTS sound had a similar problem on standard DVD, the first generation players couldn't output that but every player after that could- it's just a matter of a signal going out saying that it's there or not, no big expense or anything. Just another barrier.
My first DVD player, a SONY, didn't even have 5.1. Didn't support CD-R or DVD-R. No progressive scan. No component video output, no optical or coaxial audio output.
Old 12-25-16, 06:46 PM

The first DVD players all had Dolby Digital 5.1 output, but they would not work with DTS as they didn't know how to send the flag saying it was there. The only DVD player I've seen with no digital output at all was a cheap Go-Video one at Target a long time ago.
Old 06-28-17, 09:52 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Last UHD (or, unrealistically, Blu Ray) you watched?

Unrealistically blu-ray?

Last edited by AaronSch; 06-29-17 at 10:13 PM.
Old 06-29-17, 04:01 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

4k Ultra HD discs look way better than a lot of standard Blu rays if for no other reason than HDR. Have you even seen a 4k Ultra HD title? Based on post post, I severely doubt it. Will I be double dipping with my current Blu ray collection. Depends on the title and how well it is review, but for my all time favorites, heck yeah I will.

You also have to consider that almost every new tv being sold today is 4K. I'm not dogging on Blu ray, but it took a while for a lot of studios to get behind it. Disney seems to be coming onboard soon. Walmart seems to have some faith in it as well with VUDU UHD selections. Many titles I've bought so far have looked better at home than they had when I saw them in theaters.
Old 06-29-17, 08:25 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is dollars and "sense."

Last edited by AaronSch; 06-29-17 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-29-17, 11:45 AM

AaronSch - no one is making you upgrade. I'm not planning on upgrading all my titles either. But I don't see the point of your "contribution" to this thread other than to threadcrap. Like I've said, there's more to 4K than just the resolution. HDR can make Blu rays look like DVDs. I also have no idea what brand of television your friend has or its size, but you're right, if you sit too far away from a tv and the size of your screen isn't that big, you probably won't see much of a difference. And I'm not sure where you're getting your sales figures, but from what I've read the market is doing just fine all things considered, and since all the new upgraded video game consoles will have 4K disc playing capabilities (like PS3 was for Blu ray) this isn't a format that's disappearing a year from now.

Last edited by Brack; 06-29-17 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-29-17, 06:19 PM

You're making arguments where I had taken none. If you bothered to read my comments, I agreed that the greater the distance from a screen, even a 65 inch like I have, the resolution won't be too noticeable. HDR, however, is very noticeable. The wide color gamut is dramatic for many titles. This isn't calling for the abandonment of Blu ray. I still buy them. For film geeks, Dolby Atmos and DTS X aren't available on standard Blu rays. Some stuff still isn't on Blu ray.

Your argument about sales has a lot less to do with dvd and more to do with people preferring to stream more titles instead of buying physical media. My standard Blu rays also look better on my UHD player, so the need to double dip isn't really on my radar either. And I stand by my statement that many UHD discs blow away certain Blu ray titles since I had owned both, if no other reason because of how well HDR is implemented. If you don't see it, so be it, but I'm no shill for the format; I simply was looking to upgrade to a newer tv, saw that I could cast titles in UHD on VUDU, and I was blown away when I watched Fury Road compared to when I rented the Blu ray a few months earlier. If you're not impressed, nothing anyone tells you will, but stop pretending just because you don't see it that everyone else is just lying to themselves.
Old 06-29-17, 06:46 PM

Yikes, wish I hadn't replied earlier, just read this thread, and I really don't like feedings trolls.
Old 06-29-17, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The posts in this thread remind me of GizmoDVD.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.