DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   New Harry Potter Blu Rays (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/638392-new-harry-potter-blu-rays.html)

ViewAskewbian 12-07-16 09:11 PM

New Harry Potter Blu Rays

Has anybody picked any of these up yet. Trying to see if DISC two is only the documentary as extras:

https://www.pottermore.com/news/new-...overs-revealed

Seems, at the moment, these might be the best packaging for this series even if the current NEW 2016 package (though MUCH cheaper) still places the films in cardboard:

https://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-...ry+potter+2016

hdnmickey 12-07-16 09:49 PM

Re: New Harry Potter Blu Rays

I haven't been able to confirm but it seems like these sets contain 1 movie only blu-ray disc with along with one part of the giant eight part documentary on the second blu-ray disc. While you gain the giant 8 part documentary if you buy all 8 sets, you miss out on all the other extras. That would mean theonly way to get everything (disc content) i to buy one of the big boxes that contain multiple discs per movie including the 3D and DVD versions.

E Unit 12-07-16 10:03 PM

Or those Ultimate Edition releases, but those are OOP. The Harry Potter Hogwart's Edition is the best way to get all of the extras at this time.

hdnmickey 12-07-16 10:12 PM

The Ultimate editions don't have the bonus disc that comes with the large Wizard's or Hogwart's collections.

ViewAskewbian 12-08-16 07:29 AM

Yeah, that's what I thought but:

1) That Hogwarts set is expense
2) Has a bunch of stuff I don't want (like DVD versions)
and
3) The packaging is horrid with the cardboard and has been known to scratch up discs before they even arrive

It's amazing that, with so many Harry Potter releases, Warner still hasn't gotten this one quite right.

hdnmickey 12-08-16 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian (Post 12964561)
It's amazing that, with so many Harry Potter releases, Warner still hasn't gotten this one quite right.

It is bulky, and was expensive (got mine very cheap on clearance), but I would argue the Wizard's collection was done "right". Everything available disc wise is included (yes, many will never use the DVD or 3D versions) and the discs are stored on normal trays rather that cardboard slots/sleeves.

What they don't seem to have any interest in doing is creating a new 2 disc blu-ray release for each movie that would contain every extra specific to that movie and adding one part of the larger 8 part documentary. Probably because it (at this point) would require creating new discs. Seems the recent 2 disc versions are just two of the blu-ray discs from those larger collections which causes the buyer to miss out on the all the extras contained on the bonus discs from other releases.

E Unit 12-08-16 09:02 AM

The Hogwart's Collection is also done right with the new layout, but without the box and trinkets. Sure, they have the cardboard pages with the slots for the discs, but I have a few collections like that and haven't had one single disc scratched yet. And this collection is still available and has dipped down to $90 at times. Yes, the DVD's are in it, but so is all the content, including the bonus disc.

http://www.wbshop.com/product/harry+...fType=&from=fn

bunkaroo 12-08-16 09:13 AM

I bought all the singles of the new editions a couple months ago to get the 8-part documentary. I still have my old single releases but haven't decided if I'm going to sell them or not.

hdnmickey 12-08-16 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by trespoochies (Post 12964622)
The Hogwart's Collection is also done right with the new layout, but without the box and trinkets. Sure, they have the cardboard pages with the slots for the discs, but I have a few collections like that and haven't had one single disc scratched yet. And this collection is still available and has dipped down to $90 at times. Yes, the DVD's are in it, but so is all the content, including the bonus disc.

Given the rising value people are willing to pay for the Wizard's collection, I am strongly considering selling my set in favor of the Hogwart's version. I too don't get the issue with those slots. I too have never had a problem with them. Especially with blu-rays since they have the extra coating.

E Unit 12-08-16 09:25 AM

Kind of makes me wonder how people handle the discs in those packages if they're getting scratched.

Yeah, I think you could easily sell the Wizard's Collection for almost $1K. Or buy the Hogwart's first and slip the digital code in the Wizard's Collection and that alone will usually increase the value.

hdnmickey 12-08-16 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by trespoochies (Post 12964649)
Yeah, I think you could easily sell the Wizard's Collection for almost $1K. Or buy the Hogwart's first and slip the digital code in the Wizard's Collection and that alone will usually increase the value.

Who is paying $1K? Great idea about the code sheet. I did redeem the one that came with the box.

E Unit 12-08-16 09:42 AM

EBay mostly. Scary stories aside, I've sold most of my stuff on there, and only have had one minor issue. Been pondering on selling my Wizard's Collection, but the wife and oldest daughter gave me ugly looks. I actually bought the Hogwarts set and intending to drop the code sheet into the Wizard's then selling it, but I guess I won't now. My Hogwarts is still sealed, but I'll hold onto it for now.

ViewAskewbian 12-08-16 10:30 PM

So, yeah, seems like even the BR movies in the new sets don't have things like the in-movie feature, etc. though nobody can confirm.

It does seem Hogwarts collection is the way to go for all the bonuses even if it includes stuff I won't use (ie: 3d Releases)