DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Christmas Vacation (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/638213-christmas-vacation.html)

JOE29 11-23-16 10:49 AM

Christmas Vacation

Just saw the newest version of Christmas Vacation. A blu- DVD combo possibly steelbook, but I didn't look at it that closely. Is the blu ray the same as the earlier released version or a better transfer?

E Unit 11-23-16 11:00 AM

Re: Christmas Vacation

It's Warner's, there is no remastering. Just the same as the previous release.

JOE29 11-23-16 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by trespoochies (Post 12954130)
It's Warner's, there is no remastering. Just the same as the previous release.

Ok, thank you. You just saved me from buying it. I do have the regular DVD, I guess i'll stick with that.

E Unit 11-23-16 11:30 AM

Hold up, my bad. If it's the anniversary edition, which it sounds like it may be the one you came across, it does sound like the picture has been improved. From the review on blu-ray.com:

"Specifically for this new 1080p, AVC-encoded Blu-ray release of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, Warner Home Video had a new interpositive made at YCM Laboratories. This IP was then scanned at 2k by Warner's Motion Picture Imaging. Unlike the 2006 disc, which occupied a BD-25, this one arrives on a BD-50. Continuing Warner's promise to abandon low bitrates, the new Blu-ray of Christmas Vacation has been mastered with an average rate of 32.87 Mbps (as compared to 18.51 Mbps for the earlier disc)."

So again, my apologies. I should have checked first. But Warner's has a history of just releasing the same content with new packaging. Hell, I may go for this myself. I never even got the DVD of it.

mattysemo247 11-23-16 01:30 PM

Yeah, I got it last year. It does have upgraded audio and video over the first release.

JimRochester 11-24-16 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 (Post 12954351)
Yeah, I got it last year. It does have upgraded audio and video over the first release.

I'm still working off the HD-DVD version. Like many households this one is an annual tradition even though we could recite the movie without watching it. Might be time to upgrade

JOE29 11-29-16 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by trespoochies (Post 12954191)
Hold up, my bad. If it's the anniversary edition, which it sounds like it may be the one you came across, it does sound like the picture has been improved. From the review on blu-ray.com:

"Specifically for this new 1080p, AVC-encoded Blu-ray release of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, Warner Home Video had a new interpositive made at YCM Laboratories. This IP was then scanned at 2k by Warner's Motion Picture Imaging. Unlike the 2006 disc, which occupied a BD-25, this one arrives on a BD-50. Continuing Warner's promise to abandon low bitrates, the new Blu-ray of Christmas Vacation has been mastered with an average rate of 32.87 Mbps (as compared to 18.51 Mbps for the earlier disc)."

So again, my apologies. I should have checked first. But Warner's has a history of just releasing the same content with new packaging. Hell, I may go for this myself. I never even got the DVD of it.

Well, I haven't been on here for the past 6 days. So I didn't see this until now. I'll go in tomorrow to see if it's still there. Then i'll give you an update after I watch it. If it's still there to get.

JOE29 11-29-16 01:44 PM

I did go and get it today. I skimmed through it to see if it was worth it or not- it is.
The picture is ok, but the sound is really good. I like it. So thanks again.
It is a steelbook.

JZ1276 12-01-16 04:25 PM

Does it still have 2.0 audio? I remember all the releases for the original vacations never had anything better than mono either.

mattysemo247 12-01-16 05:21 PM

DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0