Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

What Special Editions Are We Still Missing?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

What Special Editions Are We Still Missing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-16, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts
Re: What Special Editions Are We Still Missing?

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Has Disney's The Black Hole ever been rumored for a Bluray upgrade?

I'd love to see some features on the FX, and an isolated score would awesome.
It's been available in HD on DMA for a number of years. Looks pretty good.

I don't know that it's been rumored for BD, but I could see it as a candidate for the DMC exclusives line. Unfortunately, that line never has any extra features.
Old 10-28-16, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
Then there's Night of The Living Dead and Dawn of The Dead.
A 4K remaster from the restored elements is coming for Night.
Old 10-28-16, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
Then there's Night of The Living Dead and Dawn of The Dead.
Why there hasn't been a US release of Night of the Living Dead by now is mind boggling. All the other sequels are out and with all these boutique labels mining the horror vaults of various studios why no one has touched it yet is weird.
Old 10-29-16, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Extras?? You should know by now that most in this forum gives a crap about extras?
The market in general has gravitated away from extras. The average viewer didn't care and the film buff or collector seemed more interested in getting the title for $7.99 than getting good commentaries or documentaries. I'm not big into extras but after watching the movie RACE, last night. I would have loved a 30 - 60 minute documentary about Owens, race relations in the 30's, Hitler and the Olympics, etc.

Just a release of True Lies would be nice.
Old 10-29-16, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Has Disney's The Black Hole ever been rumored for a Bluray upgrade?
Oddly enough there were DVD's of this made that were not made by Disney (from Anchor Bay).

It should have come out at the same time all the other live action movies came out on DMC exclusive BD's. Not sure what is holding it back. I got my Disney The Black Hole DVD at the same time I got the DVD's of those other live action Disney movies that did get a BD upgrade. Given the lack of extras on the DMC exclusive BD's I've been happy just keeping my DVD's of those.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 10-29-16 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-29-16, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Why there hasn't been a US release of Night of the Living Dead by now is mind boggling. All the other sequels are out and with all these boutique labels mining the horror vaults of various studios why no one has touched it yet is weird.
I'm sure the Public Domain status of the film has given a lot of companies pause to even consider releasing it.

What I am surprised about is that Criterion never attempted to release NOTLD because Carnival of Souls is PD and they've released it in plenty of times over the years.
Old 10-29-16, 07:14 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hard Boiled

https://www.amazon.com/Hard-Boiled-B...=B0041SI7AC&m=

The Killer

https://www.amazon.com/The-Killer-Bl...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

have U.S. Ultimate Edition BD releases by the now defunct Dragon Dynasty.

They're both very affordable. Under $15

Both have a decent amount of extras.

However, Blu-Ray.com's reviews criticized the video quality as not being very good. But, both got recommendations.

If you're not looking to spend an arm and a leg, these aren't bad to pick up.
I believe beyond the visual the subtitles were crap too. Jesus. Any classic HK flick under the Weinsteins just gets shit treatment.

------

Master and Commander. We still need that SE to get the BD treatment. Seemed plausible since Kingdom of Heaven got it. But...uh... yeah.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 10-29-16 at 07:21 PM.
Old 10-30-16, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
I'm sure the Public Domain status of the film has given a lot of companies pause to even consider releasing it.

What I am surprised about is that Criterion never attempted to release NOTLD because Carnival of Souls is PD and they've released it in plenty of times over the years.
I would think it being public domain would have made someone put it out even sooner. It's up for grabs to whoever wants to release it and is one of the most iconic films in the genre. Seems like it would be an easy cash grab for just about any label. Plus it received a bunch of releases on DVD so I don't see why Blu-ray would be different.
Old 10-31-16, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I would think it being public domain would have made someone put it out even sooner. It's up for grabs to whoever wants to release it and is one of the most iconic films in the genre. Seems like it would be an easy cash grab for just about any label. Plus it received a bunch of releases on DVD so I don't see why Blu-ray would be different.
The problem with being PD is Criterion would stick with their $39.99 MSRP and the collectors would buy it, but everybody else would see the $3 release and get that one.

Criterion would have to have something unique in their package to create buzz - wasn't there news of deleted scenes being found? An exclusive "extended cut" would be something Criterion could sell.
Old 10-31-16, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah but even if a label like Olive Films or someone released it as a budget title without features it would be better than not having it at all. Although ideally it would be better if someone like Scream Factory, Arrow Video, or Criterion would release a full fledged special edition.
Old 10-31-16, 10:43 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Bad Taste, Meet The Feebles, and Braindead/Dead-Alive.
Old 11-02-16, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

There are too many competing releases for a movie like Night of the Living Dead. A niche label would likely never recoup their initial investment in a truly premium set.
Old 11-02-16, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But it hasn't been released at all at this point in the US so what is there to compete with? The DVD versions have been out for years so I'd hardly count them and I have to think if labels can make money off of films of a much smaller scale they should be able to make money off one of the most famous and influential films of the genre. I think labels like Scream Factory, Arrow, Criterion, etc. have shown there is a market for films like it. Just one of them has to put the effort into putting it out. I could see if it had been released a couple times as a budget title why a more niche label wouldn't release a special edition but it's not out period and I sort of doubt that if one of them decides to put it out the market will be flooded with other labels putting it out too.
Old 11-06-16, 11:05 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Forget special editions, there are movies that haven't even been released once on DVD or Blu-ray. Greed (1924) has never been released. TCM has a 4 hour cut that would be nice to have on Blu-ray, along with extras about the film and its troubled history. The shorter cut used to be available on iTunes but I don't see it there anymore.

Also:

Song of the South
Original uncut, unedited Star Wars Trilogy
The complete Studio Ghibli short films

And while I know this wasn't asked, I'd like to see the definitive releases of a few films on UHD. I'd like these movies to receive new restorations from 8K scans, I want them to carry over all the extras from their DVD and Blue-ray releases, and I want to see a new extras featuring long form analysis of the work in the form of new commentaries and/or documentaries.

2001: A Space Odyssey
Citizen Kane
The Godfather
The Godfather Part II
Apocalypse Now
Lawrence of Arabia
Blade Runner
Barry Lyndon

Hmm, that'll do for now.

Oh, also wasn't asked but:

I would like to Studio Ghibli films made available on Digital HD.
Old 11-07-16, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Here are a few other titles that have never seen a DVD release, at least a legitimate pressed Region 1 DVD:

Short Time (Dabney Coleman)
The Wild Life (1984) - Only MOD
Stick (1985) - Only MOD
Let's Get Harry (1986)
Malone - Only MOD
Out of Bounds (1986)
Old 11-07-16, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner
Here are a few other titles that have never seen a DVD release, at least a legitimate pressed Region 1 DVD:

The Wild Life (1984) - Only MOD
Heh. Wonder how much of the eddie van valen soundtrack was removed from the mod version.
Old 11-07-16, 07:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WeeBey
Forget special editions, there are movies that haven't even been released once on DVD or Blu-ray. Greed (1924) has never been released. TCM has a 4 hour cut that would be nice to have on Blu-ray, along with extras about the film and its troubled history. The shorter cut used to be available on iTunes but I don't see it there anymore.

Also:

Song of the South
Original uncut, unedited Star Wars Trilogy
The complete Studio Ghibli short films

And while I know this wasn't asked, I'd like to see the definitive releases of a few films on UHD. I'd like these movies to receive new restorations from 8K scans, I want them to carry over all the extras from their DVD and Blue-ray releases, and I want to see a new extras featuring long form analysis of the work in the form of new commentaries and/or documentaries.

2001: A Space Odyssey
Citizen Kane
The Godfather
The Godfather Part II
Apocalypse Now
Lawrence of Arabia
Blade Runner
Barry Lyndon

Hmm, that'll do for now.

Oh, also wasn't asked but:

I would like to Studio Ghibli films made available on Digital HD.
In terms of features... I think Apocalypse Now, the Godfather trilogy, Lawrence of Arabia, and Blade Runner are pretty much at it's god level of information in features as it is. Fuck, I love Hearts of Darkness. I love AN so much that I have Eleanor Coppola's book, Notes, about AN.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 11-07-16 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-07-16, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

I remember shortly before release, when everyones main preoccupation was still what aspect ratio we were going to see, that some 1080 screencaps were posted (from the DI?) that displayed a discernible amount of high frequency detail that ended up being absent on the actual blu-ray.

I can't say that when actually watching the film I've ever really been bothered by it's presentation here, but having seen the difference I do know the actual disc could look even better just in HD, let alone UHD.

Other than that very minor quibble, I'd rank the deluxe Bd set of Apocalypse Now as just about the gold standard for Bd releases. Very satisfying in every facet (A/V to supplements).
Old 11-07-16, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

A Woody Allen movie.
Old 11-07-16, 10:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
I remember shortly before release, when everyones main preoccupation was still what aspect ratio we were going to see, that some 1080 screencaps were posted (from the DI?) that displayed a discernible amount of high frequency detail that ended up being absent on the actual blu-ray.

I can't say that when actually watching the film I've ever really been bothered by it's presentation here, but having seen the difference I do know the actual disc could look even better just in HD, let alone UHD.

Other than that very minor quibble, I'd rank the deluxe Bd set of Apocalypse Now as just about the gold standard for Bd releases. Very satisfying in every facet (A/V to supplements).
It really went above and beyond. Shit. The set is worth owning alone for Hearts of Darkness.
Old 11-08-16, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm still surprised Look Whos Talking isn't out on Blu yet.
Old 11-08-16, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Fox need to re-released The Illusionist blu-ray with the subtitle. I have the two-disc both dvd and blu and the subtitle are not on the blu.
Old 11-08-16, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

John Huston's "The Dead" doesn't really even have a proper dvd release let alone a blu ray. And its one of the greatest films ever.
Old 11-10-16, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dragonslayer isn't on Blu, and there's and HD version on VUDU and iTunes.
Old 11-10-16, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hard Boiled

https://www.amazon.com/Hard-Boiled-B...=B0041SI7AC&m=

The Killer

https://www.amazon.com/The-Killer-Bl...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

have U.S. Ultimate Edition BD releases by the now defunct Dragon Dynasty.

They're both very affordable. Under $15

Both have a decent amount of extras.

However, Blu-Ray.com's reviews criticized the video quality as not being very good. But, both got recommendations.

If you're not looking to spend an arm and a leg, these aren't bad to pick up.
The number of classic HK movies that have a decent release on DVD, let alone VHS, could be listed on one hand.