Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Bootleg blu-ray curious to know

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-16, 06:38 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so at a salvation army store they had about 25 cheap Chinese bootleg blu-ray movies and all there movies where 4 for 5.50 so for about $1.37 i was curious too see what the quality was like and it turns out that they look to be that is just a 100% copy of the original blu-ray disc as they also have bonus features ect that come on the real blu-ray

but when i have seen bootleg dvds from china 99% of the time they just use downloaded dvdrips or cams or tv rips with no bonus features ect

so what i wanted to know could these blu-ray movies be real and just Chinese versions

or are the people who made these really getting a copy of the legit blu-ray disc or downloading the iso and making copys of it ?

Last edited by VcdCollectors; 09-07-16 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-07-16, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts
Re: Bootleg blu-ray curious to know

These are bootlegs, but I am not surprised that you found them at a thrift store as they can care less if they are legal copies or not.
Old 09-07-16, 07:08 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Man...I remember bootlegs. Man, did they suck...
Old 09-07-16, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

For me, Asian releases have no credibility as I can't tell the difference between what's legitimate and what isn't. I just don't buy them no matter how cheap they are.
Old 09-07-16, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

How do you know they're bootlegs? Are you just assuming that because they're Chinese discs?

There's legit Hong Kong/Taiwan/Chinese Blu-rays of movies. They're in the same Region A as the US, so will play in US players. They can have the same special features and everything, but will include Chinese subtitles, if not full Cantonese/Mandarin dubs.

It's possible they're legit, and the pawn shop priced them cheap because people are put off by the Chinese on the covers.
Old 09-08-16, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Possible but unlikely. Most of the BD bootleggers seem to care more about quality than the average DVD bootlegger. Though from my understanding they usually aren't directly copying legitimate releases. They download pre-release HD rips taken from the net for the bootleg.
Old 09-08-16, 08:20 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Discussion regarding bootlegs will be allowed, links to bootleg DVD/blurays will not be, and in turn this thread will be closed