HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Prince Movie Collection 10/04/2016

Old 08-17-16, 03:42 AM

The Prince Movie Collection 10/04/2016

The Prince Movie Collection Purple Rain / Graffiti Bridge / Under the Cherry Moon (BD) (3pk)

Also available individually at $15 each:

Purple Rain 2016 Re-Master

Under The Cherry Moon

Graffiti Bridge

Press Release:

Burbank, CA, August X, 2016 – Warner Bros. Home Entertainment (WBHE) commemorates the film career of the late legendary musical artist Prince with the debut of the Prince Movie Collection on Blu-ray™ October 4. The Collection features Prince’s only three acting performances: the Academy Award® winner Purple Rain with newly remastered audio and video, along with the unofficial sequel Graffiti Bridge and Under the Cherry Moon, both available for the first time on Blu-ray.

The Prince Movie Collection will be available for $24.98 SRP and each film will sell individually for $14.97 SRP. Instead of the traditional blue Blu-ray casing, each film will be packaged in Prince’s signature color of purple (while supplies last).

Fans can also own each film via purchase from digital retailers.

About the Films

Purple Rain (1984)

Winner of Grammy® and Academy Awards®[ii] for its pulsating song score; Purple Rain marks the electrifying movie debut of Prince as The Kid, a Minneapolis club musician as alienated as he is talented. The Kid struggles with a tumultuous home life and his own smoldering anger while taking refuge in his music and his steamy love for sexy Apollonia Kotero. Prince and the Revolution scorch with "Let’s Go Crazy", "I Would Die 4U", "When Doves Cry" and the title song in what Rolling Stone calls “the smartest, most spiritually ambitious rock-’n’-roll movie ever made.” New 2016 1080p HD master.

Special Features:

· Commentary by Director Albert Magnoli, Producer Robert Cavallo and Cinematographer Donald E. Thorin
· First Avenue: The Road to Pop Royalty: Visit the Nightclub Where Prince Started
· Purple Rain Backstage Pass: Behind the Scenes
· Riffs, Ruffles and a Revolution: The Impact and Influence of Purple Rain
· MTV Premiere Party Original Broadcast
· 8 Music Videos: Let's Go Crazy, Take Me With U, When Doves Cry, I Would Die 4 U/Baby I'm a Star, Purple Rain, Jungle Love, The Bird and Sex Shooter
· Trailer

Under the Cherry Moon (1986)

– His Purple Rain took the movie and music worlds by storm. Now Prince stars – and makes his directorial debut – in his lavishly playful second film, Under the Cherry Moon. He plays an American musician living with his pal (Jerome Benton) on the French Riviera and on the bank accounts of bored divorcees. The next object of his affection is a lovely and spirited young heiress (Kristin Scott Thomas in her movie debut). He doesn’t count on confronting the girl’s enraged father (Steven Berkoff). And he certainly doesn’t count on falling in love. But with Prince in charge, you can definitely count on exciting music, shimmering costume, production design and style to burn. This Moon shines! New 2016 1080p HD master.

Special Features:
· Trailer

Graffiti Bridge (1990)

It’s got that Purple Rain feeling through and through. And it’s got The Kid, too! For the first time since Purple Rain, Prince is back as The Kid. And where he goes, there’s music! With "Thieves in the Temple", "New Power Generation", "Elephants and Flowers" and more red-hot Prince tunes from the Platinum-selling Graffiti Bridge soundtrack. What time is it? Party time! Morris Day and the Time play "Release It, Shake!" and more. And you’ll also see and hear George Clinton, Tevin Campbell, Robin Power, Mavis Staples and other hot performers, too. Graffiti Bridge is where the movie meets the music. Cross over on it now! New 2016 1080p HD master.

Special Features:· Trailer

I'm super excited for this. I figured that Warner Brothers would get this out there after Prince's untimely passing. A new master for Purple Rain but the special features (music videos) appear to have been dropped for the other 2 films. I'm hoping the box set is just a slipcover with the individual purple cases (because those are just too effing cool!!!). $25 is a decent price for the set too.

It would be nice to have Sign O' The Times also, but I don't think WB really owns it. I've had the UK DVD for a few years but I ended up ordering the Japanese BD the other day:

Prince Sign "O" Times the Live 1987 [Blu-Ray] [Region A, B, C]
Old 08-17-16, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: The Prince Movie Collection 10/04/2016

Yeah, I'm all over this one for sure. I own Purple Rain on blu (and owned the old dvd at one time too)...but I should be able to unload that fairly easy. Sounds like a great collection and I'll keep the import of Sign of the Times on my radar...the $25 for the disc is a bit much to swallow at this point.
Old 08-19-16, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It is currently unavailable at Amazon.

Has the release date changed?
Old 08-19-16, 08:53 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Is this remastered PR same exact extras as old? Nothing new?
Old 08-20-16, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
Is this remastered PR same exact extras as old? Nothing new?
Yep, same extras, nothing new but nothing missing. At least they didn't drop the music videos like they're doing for the other 2 films.

I put in an order at amazon as soon as I saw it was available, Shows unavailable now, weird. I wonder if they're having trouble sourcing those purple cases?
Old 08-20-16, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They better keep those purple cases.
Old 08-21-16, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

The first Purple Rain Blu-Ray looks like ass- it's on a single layer disc with more than an hour of standard-def extras, so the compression is awful. I won't buy the new one unless they put the original Warner Bros intro back in though, I hate how they replaced it with the newer CG one.
Old 08-21-16, 07:54 PM

Would that really not get you to buy this release because of the logo? Does it detract from the movie?
Old 08-22-16, 01:06 AM

Actually it does in Purple Rain more than others, because the intro audio with "Ladies and gentlemen, the Revolution" plays over it. It's supposed to be the static WB shield in the clouds (which they had just started using that year), not that 90s animated CG crap. It's like re-writing history, and any copies with it will make even less sense once they start using a different intro on new movies. (Like there are several older United Artists movies on disc with their mid-90s intro, and now they've updated movies that ORIGINALLY had that intro with a newer one! So it's on some movies where it doesn't belong there, and taken out of movies where it did belong!)
Old 08-22-16, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
The first Purple Rain Blu-Ray looks like ass- it's on a single layer disc with more than an hour of standard-def extras, so the compression is awful. I won't buy the new one unless they put the original Warner Bros intro back in though, I hate how they replaced it with the newer CG one.
The old snapper dvd was far worse . I'm okay with my Blu-ray copy and haven't sold it just yet, especially if this release doesn't follow thru as planned. The logo part I get, but it won't keep me away from a new release as long as they retain the old extras and improve on the picture some. I'm more interested in Cherry and Graffiti as I've never seen those.
Old 09-13-16, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

from TWITTER

Old 09-13-16, 01:53 AM

The DVDs had nicer disc labeling than that- and PLEASE tell me someone caught that "Prin" error before they printed a whole bunch of them!
Old 09-13-16, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I checked Amazon and the single releases (Oct 4, 2016) are not up for preorder but you can find it when they are available with a email alert.

What if the Warner Bros changed their minds and decided you have to buy the full set?
Old 09-14-16, 05:37 AM

The single releases for UTCM and GB are available for pre-order again with the same release date of 10/04. Purple Rain, however, is still not available.

I got my import copy of Sign O' The Times last week, it's actually an Australian release. Picture quality is decent to very good, and the sound quality is excellent. Hopefully this will get a more reasonably priced US release at some point, but I have zero regrets paying $26. There's a few slightly cheaper offers now:

Sign O The Times Blu-Ray

The cover does suck though, I hate the stupid M rating box and the font used for "Prince" is just wrong!
Old 09-19-16, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That sucks since I want Purple Rain in that purple case
Old 09-19-16, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Very nice looking set, but I can't bring myself to blind buy these. I'll have to see if these are on streaming anywhere.
Old 09-20-16, 02:14 AM

3 pack is down to $19.99!

The Prince Movie Collection Purple Rain / Graffiti Bridge / Under the Cherry Moon (BD) (3pk)
Old 09-20-16, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The list price is only $24.99. Personally I'm going to wait until it's around $12.99-14.99.
Old 09-20-16, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, these are Warner's releases, they will drop to the $12.99-14.99 range. And quite possibly $9.99 during a holiday Amazon deal. I can wait.
Old 09-20-16, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by trespoochies View Post
Yep, these are Warner's releases, they will drop to the $12.99-14.99 range. And quite possibly $9.99 during a holiday Amazon deal. I can wait.
$19.99 is extremely tempting. I do agree with the $15 for Black Friday though and I can wait...I still have my Purple Rain on original Blu and Digital to keep me happy .
Old 09-20-16, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Kedrix View Post
I'm more interested in Cherry and Graffiti as I've never seen those.
Don't set your expectations too high. They're both awful, awful films...and I'm a huge Prince fan. At least the music's really good on Cherry Moon, but I only really liked about two songs from Graffiti Bridge--it's pretty much a complete washout.
Old 09-20-16, 06:23 PM

So PR will not be released individually? I mean great price but no use for the other 2 movies...
Old 09-21-16, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

$19.99 is not that bad of a price and I will get it.
Old 09-26-16, 04:33 PM

It's now $17.55 at Barnes & Noble

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd-...=0883929552948

I can pair it with a Shadowrun paperback (slowly collecting the newer ones) for free shipping to make it worth it. I guess 2 1/2 bucks makes enough difference (and an excuse to buy another Shadowrun novel).

Also, Sign of the Times is down to $19.90 (and still might continue to drop) at Amazon. I'll continue to watch for now.
Old 09-30-16, 03:50 AM

Purple Rain single release is available for pre-order again for $9.99 with same release date of October 4:

Purple Rain Blu-Ray 2016 Remaster

Good price at bn.com for the 3 pack if you have something to add for free shipping for sure.

I'm only *slightly* miffed that SOTT keeps dropping, I'm just happy to own a copy in HD.

Last edited by popegregFKAgoblin23; 09-30-16 at 04:00 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.