Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Digibooks or steelbooks - what do you prefer?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.
View Poll Results: Digibooks or steelbooks?
Digibooks
34.29%
Steelbooks
42.86%
Neither, just a normal case is fine
22.86%
Something else, like a slipcase
0%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-09-16, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So I'm interested in purchasing Se7en on Blu-ray, but I'm quite unsure if I should purchase the digibook or steelbook version. I only have one digibook, and that's for The Hustler. I don't really have a preference between the two.

So what does everyone prefer when it comes to Blu-ray packaging?
Old 08-09-16, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Digibooks or steelbooks - what do you prefer?

Honestly for new releases, Steelbooks, especially really limited Collector's ones like Mad Max Fury Road or the Marvel ones. For catalog titles, I prefer Digibooks. They look cool on the bookshelf, often have interesting print content included and most of the catalog Steelbook releases look bad IMO (Project Pop Art series excluded), and none of them are very collectable or rare.
Old 08-09-16, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like them both and I've got about an equal number of both though not a lot of either. If I had the choice I'd pick digibooks though. I find them more useful than steelbooks what with the book and all.
Old 08-09-16, 09:08 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

In a past life I would have said SteelBooks easily, but now I like almost care less. However, with a choice of these two I would go with SB. But that is bc of the collector in me...
Old 08-09-16, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
In a past life I would have said SteelBooks easily, but now I like almost care less. However, with a choice of these two I would go with SB. But that is bc of the collector in me...
and yet when you think about it digibooks are far less common.
Old 08-09-16, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just want the movie. I wish they offered the normal release in the case the size of a slim CD case.
Old 08-09-16, 09:43 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
and yet when you think about it digibooks are far less common.
Yeah, I started collecting the SteelBooks, but have much less desire nowadays. Have quite a few digibooks, but they all seem mis-shapen to me and don't fit like SBs or regular cases...
Old 08-09-16, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Digibook. Substance over style.
Old 08-09-16, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Overall I prefer steelbooks. But to your question, I believe the digibook of Seven has more content (and a better transfer?) than the other releases. I could be completely wrong but I thought that was how I ended up with that version.
Old 08-09-16, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
Have quite a few digibooks, but they all seem mis-shapen to me and don't fit like SBs or regular cases...
The thinner single disc digibooks can be a little mis-shapen at times but I do really love the thick double disc digibooks (E.T., Jaws) and the extra thick digibooks (The Hobbit, Man of Steel). I'd take those over a steelbook any day.
Old 08-10-16, 12:26 AM
Banned

Way back, when blu was new, I simply hated digibooks. I wanted all my movies in a standard keepcase that I could replace if they became damaged. My second round of collecting blu-ray began two years ago and I decided I wanted all the digibooks, digipaks and steelbooks I could obtain. Right now there are just a handful of digibooks that I do not own—I probably opted for the digipak or steelbook instead. Overall, I prefer the digibook because while steelbooks can look awesome, the digibook or digipaks offer so much more content. I've duplicated titles where I own the 3D version and desired the steelbook as well..."Edge of Tomorrow," "Man of Steel," "Batman vs, "Superman," "Star Trek: Into Darkness," "Adventures of TinTin, " etc...I will eventually just place the 3-D disc into the steelbook packaging and put the standard cases in a box somewhere. I have been tempted to grab the digibooks as well in some instances such as "E.T," "Man of Steel" and "Batman v Superman," but have not gone down that road....yet. Collecting these things is a mental disorder. Why would I need multiple copies of the same damn movie? Oh well, they are so pretty to look at even if I don't watch the movie itself.

Last edited by AaronSch; 08-10-16 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-10-16, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Digibooks are so uncommon, it's hard to really say I have a preference because I only have a few (Hustler, Seven, Camelot, and probably a few more I can't remember). Steelbooks, I probably have well over 50..in a perfect world I would say Digibooks if they were all the same shape and size. They aren't. So the OCD order in me says Steelbooks since most of those do follow a certain size and shape pattern.
Old 08-10-16, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mike45 View Post
I just want the movie. I wish they offered the normal release in the case the size of a slim CD case.
When they are only going to do normal packaging, I would love to see more ultra slim releases. Now if they could only make slipcovers for those...

I don't prefer either steelbook or digibook. It's really depends on how well each is done. When the artwork (include inner artwork) is done well, steelbooks can be very attractive. But when they are not, I wouldrather have a content filled digibook.

What I really preferred was when stupios would put out a very nice normal Amaray case package, with a fancy slipcover, WITH a substantial booklet that fit inside the clips inside the case. Funny how those clips are always still there despite so many releases not using them. Even when there is digital code sheet it is often not placed in those clips.
Old 08-10-16, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I voted neither but since I usually buy stuff like this day one I have the digibook. Bot a fan of eother special packaging but would probably go with Digibook over steelbook since I don't think steelbooks are particularly cool and they dent too easily in shipping.
Old 08-10-16, 11:55 AM
Banned

Well, all packaging is prone to damage during manufacture and shipping. The steelbooks can be scratched and dented during production and shipping but I have carefully removed dents from some used steelbooks I've purchased. It's a painstaking process, but with the right tools and patience, they can be removed in most instances. Digibooks have brittle hubs that can break easily and the cardboard covers have corners that can easily become dog-eared during shipping or handling. I used the recent Barnes and Noble 40% sale to obtain a bunch of digibooks. I was shocked that most arrived in mint condition with all corners intact. The few that came damaged were swiftly replaced. Plastic keepcases are also prone to damage. The beloved Viva Elite cases can easily end up with the plastic corners on the spines breaking off and the sleeves are easily melted and ruined by the heat-seal process some manufacturers use—cellophane is a far better packaging option. The slipcovers are cardboard and can easily be crushed, dented and marred by price tags and labels. Some collectors have opted to keep all labels in place but personally, I hate that idea and remove them all.
The only packaging option that can be replaced is the good ol'plastic keepcase. So for those who only care about the disc contained inside, it makes the most sense. But I also replace all eco-cases because the art is so easily damaged and that represents an added cost for nearly every purchase. Many collectors, like me, have grown to love all the ephemera and fancy packaging as much as the movies they house. So we'll keep buying into all the nonsense as long as physical media is being produced.
Old 08-10-16, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Steelbooks tend to have a much bigger collector's market for them. You can occasionally make good money simply buying the right steelbooks. There seem to be fewer devoted digibook collectors.
Old 08-10-16, 01:32 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I like either whenever they hit my $10 or less price point, and are a film I may have bought anyway (which are most films I guess, to be honest). I think I have about 30 of each.
Old 08-10-16, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Steelbooks tend to have a much bigger collector's market for them. You can occasionally make good money simply buying the right steelbooks. There seem to be fewer devoted digibook collectors.
As I said before, for New Titles, yeah the Steelbooks are collectable. But for Catalog titles, like the one that the OP mentioned, Steelbooks are kind of worthless. Look at how many times Best Buy dropped the price of those Bond catalog Steelbooks, how long the Project Pop Art books sat around and how about those godawful Universal catalog titles with Steelbooks that looked like comic books?

New ones are very collectable (the uber-limited Big Hero Six from Target is the pride of my collection and I have every Best Buy Marvel one as well as 7/10 of the Target DCU ones), but for Catalog titles, I'll take a good quality Digibook any day

And, BTW when I had a straight up choice between Steelbook and Digibook exclusive for BvS, I went with the digibook because I thought it looked better and because it matched the Man of Steel exclusive, but mostly because it was $10 cheaper.
Old 08-10-16, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

On the whole, I prefer the SteelBook packaging over the digibook. That being said, I would rather have decent artwork in a normal case than ugly artwork on a SteelBook or digibook. There seem to be too many SteelBooks coming out these days with that horrendous mondo "art". Shitty art kills any interest in upgraded packaging, for me.
Old 08-10-16, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like digibooks if they're filled with something of substance. Stuff like essays, actor/actress information, character bios, etc. are cool. Some of them are just filled with fluff that I can care less about. Steelbooks are sort of cool in some instances but I don't necessarily care if I get them or not most of the time.
Old 08-10-16, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I dislike *all* "special packaging." Just give me a standard keep case and I'm most happy. I'm the odd duck who actually likes the newer mega-cases CBS is using and would replace the cases on every series I own with those if it were possible.
Old 08-10-16, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k View Post
Digibook. Substance over style.
Yep, me too. If my steelbook doesn't have a dent in it already, it's sure to have one sooner or later. I'll stick with Digibooks as my preference (when the option is there).
Old 08-10-16, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
On the whole, I prefer the SteelBook packaging over the digibook. That being said, I would rather have decent artwork in a normal case than ugly artwork on a SteelBook or digibook. There seem to be too many SteelBooks coming out these days with that horrendous mondo "art". Shitty art kills any interest in upgraded packaging, for me.
And don't even get me started on those ugly ass "comic book" steelbook covers...
Old 08-10-16, 10:25 PM
Banned

I think the comic book art on some of the Universal Pictures steelbooks work fine. I really like the cover art on King Kong, Serenity and the Blues Brothers. And I some of the pop art steelbooks are pretty cool as well—not all of them.

Last edited by AaronSch; 08-10-16 at 11:45 PM.
Old 08-10-16, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like Steelbooks because they tend to have a minimalist cover art that looks nice and clean. No floating heads, award listings, or critics blurbs. I have never received a damaged Steelbook, but every Digibook I've ordered has come smooshed to shit, they're too easily damaged for my preference. Articles/essays are nice, but I'd rather just have a booklet that is safely tucked inside an amaray case.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.