Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

THE THING: 2-Disc Collector's Edition -9/20/16

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

THE THING: 2-Disc Collector's Edition -9/20/16

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-16, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: THE THING: 2-Disc Collector's Edition -9/20/16

Originally Posted by Josh Z
He's referring to the 35th Anniversary Edition of Halloween, which had a video transfer supervised by Dean Cundey that looked wildly different than the prior THX DVD release he also supervised.
I have that release in the Shout box set and it looks great in my opinion and certainly natural and film like looking. The very first Anchorbay blu-ray release which is also included in the set is terrible though and far from film like looking.

The THX DVD also was more revisionist since it was working with a lower resolution format, thus had to pump up the colors too much to compensate for the limited range, which explains the overly blue tint in the night time scenes and also timed for a more autumn appearance(which isn't bad in my opinion). But the original look apparently was far closer to the 35th Anniversary release than the THX dvd and that's fine with me, since it still had some blue hues left in the night time scenes. Daytime does look less autumn like, but it's not timed that distractedly. So I think he stuck with not revising the image to suit the latest technologies of what's possible and just stuck with how it was originally shot and released.
Old 06-14-16, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
The THX DVD also was more revisionist since it was working with a lower resolution format, thus had to pump up the colors too much to compensate for the limited range, which explains the overly blue tint in the night time scenes and also timed for a more autumn appearance(which isn't bad in my opinion). But the original look apparently was far closer to the 35th Anniversary release than the THX dvd and that's fine with me, since it still had some blue hues left in the night time scenes. Daytime does look less autumn like, but it's not timed that distractedly. So I think he stuck with not revising the image to suit the latest technologies of what's possible and just stuck with how it was originally shot and released.
Both the THX DVD and the 35th Anniversary Blu-ray are revisionist, just in different ways. Every time Cundey supervises a transfer for the movie, he grades it based on his preferences at that current moment in time, regardless of how he actually shot the movie in 1978.

If you like the look of the 35th Anniversary Blu-ray, that's fine. However, it is controversial among fans, and that's what hanshotfirst was referring to.
Old 07-18-16, 10:32 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope they adhere to the 70mm six track mix layout. Outland (1981) Blu-ray had a very good 5.1 re-purposing of the 70mm (blowup) Megasound soundtrack mix. Also, Logan's Run Blu-ray is another good use of the 5.1 format for the 70mm (blowup) six track theatrical sound.
Old 07-18-16, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Both the THX DVD and the 35th Anniversary Blu-ray are revisionist, just in different ways. Every time Cundey supervises a transfer for the movie, he grades it based on his preferences at that current moment in time, regardless of how he actually shot the movie in 1978.

If you like the look of the 35th Anniversary Blu-ray, that's fine. However, it is controversial among fans, and that's what hanshotfirst was referring to.
That was kind of my concern. Cundey has a tendency to do this, which is why I'd rather have Carpenter supervising it. I can see the controversy about this from miles out. But hey, first world problems.
Old 07-18-16, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Though he changed the color tinting in daytime scenes because the film was shot in summer, and doesn't really have a "fall" look
Old 07-18-16, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Updated list of extras. I posted this in the Shout thread as well:

We have even more for you to get excited about regarding our upcoming Blu-ray release of THE THING: More Bonus Features!
Although we announced most of the extras awhile back, we are thrilled to highlight an all-new Carpenter interview conducted by Director and horror vet Mick Garris! Read on for even more surprises too...
DISC ONE:
- NEW 2K Scan Of The Interpositive Supervised And Approved By Director Of Photography Dean Cundey
- NEW 4.1 Audio Mix Created From The Original 70MM Six Track Dolby Stereo Soundtrack (5.1 Audio Mix Also Included)
- NEW Audio Commentary With Director Of Photography Dean Cundey
- NEW Audio Commentary With Co-producer Stuart Cohen
Audio Commentary By Director John Carpenter And Actor Kurt Russell
- Teaser Trailer
- Theatrical Trailers (U.S. And German)
- TV Spots
- Radio Spots
- Still Gallery (Behind-The-Scenes Photos, Posters And Lobby Cards)
- DISC TWO:
- NEW Requiem For A Shape Shifter – An Interview With Director John Carpenter In Conversation With Filmmaker Mick Garris
- NEW The Men Of Outpost 31 – Interviews With Keith David, Wilford Brimley, David Clennon, Thomas Waites, Peter Maloney, Richard Masur And Joel Polis
- NEW Assembling And Assimilation – An Interview With Editor Todd Ramsay
- NEW Behind The Chameleon: The Visual Effects Of THE THING – Interviews With Visual Effects Artists Peter Kuran And Susan Turner, Special Make-up Effects Artist Rob Burman, Brian Wade And Stop Motion Animators Randall William Cook And Jim Aupperle
- NEW Sounds From The Cold – Interviews With Supervising Sound Editor David Lewis Yewdall And Special Sound Effects Designer Alan Howarth
- NEW Between The Lines – An Interview With Novelization Author Alan Dean Foster
- NEW Back Into The Cold: A Return To The Shooting Locations Of THE THING – An Animated Photo Gallery Narrated By Todd Cameron Of Outpost31.com
- NEW The Art Of Mike Ploog Gallery
- John Carpenter's The Thing: Terror Takes Shape – A Documentary On The Making Of THE THING Featuring Interviews With John Carpenter, Kurt Russell, Special Effects Make-up Designer Rob Bottin, Legendary Matte Artist Albert Whitlock Plus Members Of The Cast And Crew (80 minutes – SD)
- Network TV Broadcast Version Of THE THING (92 minutes – SD)
- Outtakes (5 minutes – SD)
- Vintage Featurettes From The Electronic Press Kit Featuring Interviews With John Carpenter, Kurt Russell And Rob Bottin
- Vintage Featurettes – The Making Of A Chilling Tale And The Making Of THE THING
- Vintage Product Reel – Contains A Condensed Version Of The Film With Additional Footage Not In The Film (19 minutes – SD)
- Vintage Behind-The-Scenes Footage (2 minutes – SD)
- Annotated Production Archive – Production Art And Storyboards, Location Scouting, Special Make-up Effects, Post Production (54 minutes – SD)
National Street Date is 9/20/16. But if you order directly from us at
https://www.shoutfactory.com/…/the-t...ctor-s-edition you'll receive early shipping + a free poster (while supplies last)
Old 07-18-16, 07:35 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

As if the movie itself wasn't enough of a reason. Wow!
Old 07-18-16, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

Teal and orange, teal and orange...

Old 07-19-16, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I was going to wait a bit on this one but the new audio mix has pushed this to a release day purchase.
Old 07-19-16, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mugwump
I was going to wait a bit on this one but the new audio mix has pushed this to a release day purchase.
Yeah, I'm finding it really hard at this point (for one of my top 5 movies) to not buy this day one. I know its the quadruple dip thing for me, but if I did it on Escape from NY, no reason not to here as well.
Old 01-23-17, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

The Thing is coming to Arrow Video!
That's right folks, John Carpenter's 80's classic will be joining the Arrow Video line later this year! We are still in the early stages of this release so can't share any specific info in relation to extras just yet but do make sure to tuned as we have some exciting things planned!
https://www.facebook.com/ArrowVideo/...type=3&theater
Old 01-24-17, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 898 Likes on 722 Posts

An Arrow release of THE THING seems quite superfluous, unless they can improve on the very decent Scream Factory transfer. Even then, PQ improvement would be minimal, probably only noticeable on the largest screens. Why invest the time and energy when they could be releasing something that's never seen the light of day on Blu-ray? Sigh... so much treasure still to be released in 1080p, and multiple releases of the same movies are being done. And THE THING is probably my favorite horror film of all time!
Old 01-24-17, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle
An Arrow release of THE THING seems quite superfluous, unless they can improve on the very decent Scream Factory transfer. Even then, PQ improvement would be minimal, probably only noticeable on the largest screens. Why invest the time and energy when they could be releasing something that's never seen the light of day on Blu-ray? Sigh... so much treasure still to be released in 1080p, and multiple releases of the same movies are being done. And THE THING is probably my favorite horror film of all time!
I agree. Have to wonder what more can be added as the Shout release had two new commentaries and several interviews, featurettes (new and vintage).
Old 01-24-17, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I believe the Arrow release for The Thing is only for the UK market and they are essentially using the same content as Shout. Arrow and Shout have worked together on some of their releases. Arrow released To Live and Die in LA for the UK market and shared the same content as Shout.
Old 01-24-17, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
I agree. Have to wonder what more can be added as the Shout release had two new commentaries and several interviews, featurettes (new and vintage).
Definitive proof Childs is the Thing.
Old 01-24-17, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle
An Arrow release of THE THING seems quite superfluous, unless they can improve on the very decent Scream Factory transfer.
The Scream Factory disc wasn't released in the U.K. Arrow's won't be released in the U.S.
Old 01-24-17, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 898 Likes on 722 Posts

Yes, but anyone who truly cares for the movie will have imported it already! I've been doing that for years with Arrow's releases...

Oh well, it will probably be the exact same encode and features as the Scream Factory.
Old 01-24-17, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Many/most/all of the same extras, probably. (Where do you go from a special edition that extensive?) Same master, likely. (...which isn't to say the presentations will be identical.) Same encode, no way.

I'm not aware of Arrow ever recycling another company's encode, bit-from-bit.
Old 03-04-17, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

4K scan!
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

https://twitter.com/Frangipane13
Old 07-14-17, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS:
  • Brand new restoration from a 4K scan of the original negative, supervised and approved by director John Carpenter and director of photography Dean Cundey
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
  • Original Mono and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Audio commentary by John Carpenter and actor Kurt Russell
  • Who Goes There? In Search of The Thing an all-new feature length documentary produced by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures exploring the history of The Thing, from the original novella to John Carpenter's terrifying science fiction classic. Featuring new interviews with the cast and crew, as well as authors, historians, and critics
  • 1982: One Amazing Summer an all-new retrospective documentary produced by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures about the unforgettable films released in the summer of 1982
  • John Carpenter's The Thing: Terror Takes Shape archive documentary on the background and production of the film
  • Vintage Featurettes
  • Outtakes
  • Behind-the-Scenes
  • Trailers, Teasers, TV and Radio Spots
  • Still Galleries
  • Poster
  • Lobby Cards
  • Book containing new writing on the film

https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/the-th.../11515184.html
Old 07-15-17, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Ugh...I thought I was done buying this movie.
Old 07-15-17, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 422 Likes on 305 Posts

That disc listed is a U.K. Release, I don't think they would do another double dip here in the US since the Shout release.
Old 07-15-17, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I'm going for the limited edition. Might as well at this point.
Old 07-15-17, 06:27 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

is this region free and does the new US version not have new video?
Old 07-15-17, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
is this region free and does the new US version not have new video?
This one will probably be Region B locked.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.