Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

UHD release announcements

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

UHD release announcements

Old 08-18-18, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts
Re: UHD release announcements

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is one strong possibility. If I were a betting man, that would be my guess.
It's a good guess because they've explicitly mentioned the possibility -- even clarifying that it'd be MGM's 4K remaster and not to expect any significant changes in color timing -- but I don't think that's it:

1) They were talking about a possible full Dollars trilogy box set in Ultra HD for 2019 back when their first UHD release was still slated for October.

2) They've said it's a film that's not received a publicized 4K remaster

3) They said it's not a recent release from them or another independent label

I'm not sure where to follow those breadcrumbs. Someone on the other forum speculated Spaceballs.
Old 08-20-18, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

This would leave just five movies -- Thor, Thor: The Dark World, Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, and Doctor Strange -- without an Ultra HD Blu-ray release.

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 08-20-18 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-20-18, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WHAT?!?

Wahoo!
Old 08-20-18, 07:31 AM

Received 4,514 Likes on 3,062 Posts

£29.99 for each. Not bad.
Old 08-20-18, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dex14
£29.99 for each. Not bad.
Also, not likely.
Old 08-20-18, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
Also, not likely.
Straight from the horse's mouth:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 08-20-18, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Straight from the horse's mouth:
I know what they're saying; I just find it hard to believe. Disney is still selling these for ~$25 each on Blu-ray. They just released the catalog Avengers movies for $30 each on UHD (the success of which being the likely motivator for these releases in the first place). Now, they're suddenly going to give us three for that price? I'd love to live in the alternate universe in which Disney behaves that way, but I just don't think I do.
Old 08-20-18, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
the success of which being the likely motivator for these releases in the first place
Nah. They don't even have a full week of sales data in the U.S. yet, and none of the Avengers movies are out on Ultra HD Blu-ray in the U.K. for another couple of weeks. Maybe exceptionally strong pre-sales, but that's still inhumanly quickly to be able to turn a promotion like this.

I do get the incredulity, but if Zavvi says that's the price, I think it's reasonable to expect that they know what they're talking about.
Old 08-20-18, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

...and it looks like their tweets and Facebook posts about this have been deleted, so maybe it's a misprice after all.
Old 08-20-18, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You know it's only a matter of time before they release a Phase 1 & Phase 2 UHD collection. If I end up upgrading, that's the route I'll take.
Old 08-20-18, 11:19 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I'm starting to sell off my steelbooks, I just don't really care about them anymore. Good way to flip and pick up the UHD versions, which I now prefer to have.
Old 08-20-18, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd love slimline trilogy sets for both of these, but Disney has historically offered those in seemingly every territory except North America, so I don't expect them to be offered in North America now.
Old 08-20-18, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

So, apparently the price was right, but Zavvi is wrong about 'em being in Ultra HD, at least according to a moderator on High Def Ninja who inquired about this whole thing. It's a regular ol' Blu-ray set.
Old 08-20-18, 01:44 PM

Received 4,514 Likes on 3,062 Posts

Originally Posted by adam tyner
so, apparently the price was right, but zavvi is wrong about 'em being in ultra hd, at least according to a moderator on high def ninja who inquired about this whole thing. It's a regular ol' blu-ray set.
"Stunning!"
Old 08-20-18, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dex14
"Stunning!"
Old 08-20-18, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

In news that for sure is happening...!

In honor of the huge milestone, Lionsgate's Summit Entertainment is releasing Twilight on 4K Ultra HD Combo Pack (plus Blu-ray and Digital) and all five Twilight Saga films with new collectible artwork on Blu-ray™ Combo Pack (plus DVD and Digital) on October 23. MTV News has the exclusive first look at the colorful collectible prints, from award-winning artist Justin Erickson.
Old 08-20-18, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Start the day with Captain America and Iron Man...

... and finish with Twilight.

This is the story of modern life.
Old 08-22-18, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,547 Likes on 2,541 Posts

So tonight I'm going to an Academy screening of The Joy Luck Club in celebration of their 25th anniversary. It's newly remastered 4K print.

Most of the cast and crew are expected to be there including Wayne Wang, Amy Tan and Ming Na Wen teased on social media that she might go.

So what are the chances that this 4K print will get a commercial release? I remember Heat had a 4K screening about 2 years ago and FOX released a newly remastered BD from the 4K print. I mean why would they take the time and spend the money to remaster it in 4K and not release it commercially?

Grease had a 4K screening about 2 weeks ago and they already have a 4K UHD out. I'll see how it looks tonight.
Old 08-22-18, 03:37 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Let us know how it looks, I'm interested.
Old 08-23-18, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 946 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
So tonight I'm going to an Academy screening of The Joy Luck Club in celebration of their 25th anniversary. It's newly remastered 4K print.

Most of the cast and crew are expected to be there including Wayne Wang, Amy Tan and Ming Na Wen teased on social media that she might go.

So what are the chances that this 4K print will get a commercial release? I remember Heat had a 4K screening about 2 years ago and FOX released a newly remastered BD from the 4K print. I mean why would they take the time and spend the money to remaster it in 4K and not release it commercially?

Grease had a 4K screening about 2 weeks ago and they already have a 4K UHD out. I'll see how it looks tonight.
There are probably hundreds (thousands?) of movies that have been scanned/prepared in 4k that don't have UHDs. 4k isn't just for home release. Does it make it more likely that it will be released on UHD? Sure, but I wouldn't hold my breath for Joy Luck Club unless Crazy Rich Asians really is the beginning of a renewed interest in Asian themed cinema in Hollywood.
Old 08-23-18, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk God

I saw the screening last night.

The new 4K print looked alright. Can't say I was blown away by it. Only so much you can do with a movie that was shot 26 years ago. Wayne Wang said that Disney was the one who approached him about overseeing the new remaster of the film and Wang said we were the 1st audience to see the new print. I believe it will also be playing at the Toronto International Film Festival.

There was a 1 hour Q&A panel prior to the screening and it was being filmed. Special feature maybe for a re-release? Wang, Ming-Na Wen, Tamlyn Tomita, Lauren Tom, Amy Tan, a few of the writers and 3 of the 4 Moms were participating. It was pretty good and had some funny moments. Russell Wong, Michael Paul Chan and Oliver Stone were in the audience, but didn't participate.

If Disney does decide to release this 4K print commercially, I could see it going 2 ways. A newly remastered BD off the 4K scan (likely) or a 4K UHD (unlikely). It's the 25th anniversary of the film this year, so they would need to get this out before the end of the year if they should decide to release it commercially.

One of the writers (Ron Bass) hinted that it's possible a sequel could be in the works.
Old 08-23-18, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Only so much you can do with a movie that was shot 26 years ago.
I wouldn't say that. Leon and A Few Good Men are of a similar vintage and are two of the best looking titles on Ultra HD Blu-ray.

I have to admit that when I re-read your initial post earlier this morning, the first thing I did was look up which studio distributes it, and I frowned when I saw who it was. If it were Sony, I could see there being a chance. Given Disney's very limited interest in Ultra HD Blu-ray, it's unfortunately remote. Maybe if/when the smaller labels start supporting the format, Disney will license it out.
Old 08-23-18, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner

I have to admit that when I re-read your initial post earlier this morning, the first thing I did was look up which studio distributes it, and I frowned when I saw who it was. If it were Sony, I could see there being a chance. Given Disney's very limited interest in Ultra HD Blu-ray, it's unfortunately remote. Maybe if/when the smaller labels start supporting the format, Disney will license it out.
Very true. Could be possible that Disney is only supporting the 4K remaster for this screening and the film festival circuit. I don't think there is enough interest in a catalog title like this to warrant a 4K UHD release. IMO, if Disney does decide to license this out, this movie would be perfect for Criterion and they could work with the 4K scan for a new BD. Plus as I said, they shot that 1 hour Q&A panel, so they have material for an extra feature.
Old 08-23-18, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Plus as I said, they shot that 1 hour Q&A panel, so they have material for an extra feature.
Oh! I missed that before. That is promising.
Old 08-23-18, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

I saw the screening last night.

The new 4K print looked alright. Can't say I was blown away by it. Only so much you can do with a movie that was shot 26 years ago. Wayne Wang said that Disney was the one who approached him about overseeing the new remaster of the film and Wang said we were the 1st audience to see the new print. I believe it will also be playing at the Toronto International Film Festival.

There was a 1 hour Q&A panel prior to the screening and it was being filmed. Special feature maybe for a re-release? Wang, Ming-Na Wen, Tamlyn Tomita, Lauren Tom, Amy Tan, a few of the writers and 3 of the 4 Moms were participating. It was pretty good and had some funny moments. Russell Wong, Michael Paul Chan and Oliver Stone were in the audience, but didn't participate.

If Disney does decide to release this 4K print commercially, I could see it going 2 ways. A newly remastered BD off the 4K scan (likely) or a 4K UHD (unlikely). It's the 25th anniversary of the film this year, so they would need to get this out before the end of the year if they should decide to release it commercially.

One of the writers (Ron Bass) hinted that it's possible a sequel could be in the works.
The demographics of the UHD buying audience just don't align with the fanbase for the Joy Luck Club. A remastered BD is a likely scenario.

The studios aren't really planning on expanding UHD beyond the home theater crowd. They believe soccer moms and the like will be perfectly served by Netflix/streaming alternatives and won't get much into the format.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.