Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

UHD release announcements

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

UHD release announcements

Old 09-15-21, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,163 Likes on 894 Posts
Re: UHD release announcements

My copy of Basic Instinct 4K just arrived. 2 says early.
Old 09-15-21, 04:09 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
At first I couldn't remember and then I just checked my DVDProfiler listing. It has extras, so it wasn't.
There was a Superbit version without extras, and another release with. I think the Superbit of this movie was one of the last in the Superbit line.

Old 09-15-21, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,272 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
There was a Superbit version without extras, and another release with. I think the Superbit of this movie was one of the last in the Superbit line.

According to my DVDProfiler listing, it wasn't either Superbit. Did it have the extras on another disc? I thought the whole point of Superbit was to devote the entire disc to the movie, so the movie quality was maxxed out. I actually never bought too many because I was a whore for extras.
Old 09-15-21, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Why are we talking about the Superbit dvd when Final Fantasy has a blu-ray release?
Old 09-15-21, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Very unlikely. I watched Final Fantasy on Blu-ray and most of the animation looked pretty bad even at 1080p.
It's really 1997 era CGI (released in 2001, but it took 4 years to complete), so I'm not surprised. The original Toy Story was completed only a couple of years prior, and that was rendered sub-HD, which is noticeable on the 4k disc because Disney didn't rerender it to full HD.
Old 09-16-21, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,360 Likes on 1,004 Posts

It'd be interesting to check some Superbits now and see how well they've held up. I've watched a lot of other DVDs on my 60" 4k screen that still look pretty darn good, and then some that look like the FMV part of a Sega CD game (the first Austin Powers was pretty bad). Would be neat to see if that extra bit rate really meant anything.
Old 09-16-21, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,272 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by randian
Why are we talking about the Superbit dvd when Final Fantasy has a blu-ray release?
I had mentioned it looked good on DVD. Gizmo asked if it was the Superbit. You may commence with discussing it's blu-ray. I guess we're not supposed to mention previous versions now, eh?
Old 09-16-21, 11:30 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by TomOpus
According to my DVDProfiler listing, it wasn't either Superbit. Did it have the extras on another disc? I thought the whole point of Superbit was to devote the entire disc to the movie, so the movie quality was maxxed out. I actually never bought too many because I was a whore for extras.
Superbit originally was a line with the movie only. Then sometime later they started to add another blu with the extras. They never knew what they were doing.
Old 09-16-21, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
It'd be interesting to check some Superbits now and see how well they've held up. I've watched a lot of other DVDs on my 60" 4k screen that still look pretty darn good, and then some that look like the FMV part of a Sega CD game (the first Austin Powers was pretty bad). Would be neat to see if that extra bit rate really meant anything.
Sony's entire Superbit program was just an excuse to re-market titles with a fancy label and a price markup without bothering to give them any extras. Other studios authored their discs at the same bit-rate as Superbit as a matter of course without charging extra for them. The real takeaway of the entire thing was that Sony's non-Superbit discs typically had subpar authoring and compression.
Old 09-16-21, 03:26 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 450 Posts

Free Guy | October 12

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/free-gu...?skuId=6479209

https://www.target.com/p/free-guy-ta...d/-/A-84049564

Old 09-16-21, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 422 Likes on 289 Posts

I assume they aren't rerendering Final Fantasy.
The studio closed down a month after the movie came out (and bombed). Even if all the assets are stored somewhere, it was all rendered on old SGI hardware. I'm not sure they would want to reconstitute the setup necessary to do anything with it.
Old 09-16-21, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheBang
The studio closed down a month after the movie came out (and bombed). Even if all the assets are stored somewhere, it was all rendered on old SGI hardware. I'm not sure they would want to reconstitute the setup necessary to do anything with it.
There's basically no chance of it. After the movie was animated in the computer, it was printed out onto film stock. The negative for that is considered the archival master. At best, any attempt to "remaster" the movie would involve a new scan of those film-out elements. It would still be the same 2001-quality CGI, but now with better resolved (meaning more pronounced) film grain from the stock it was printed onto.

They would not go back to the original data, which probably doesn't even exist anymore, or only exists in a format that cannot be read by modern hardware.
Old 09-16-21, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 644 Likes on 444 Posts

It's really 1997 era CGI (released in 2001, but it took 4 years to complete), so I'm not surprised. The original Toy Story was completed only a couple of years prior, and that was rendered sub-HD, which is noticeable on the 4k disc because Disney didn't rerender it to full HD.
Toy Story 1 & 2 were re-rendered in 2008 for the 3D versions.
https://collider.com/fans-rejoice-pi...-george-lucas/
Collider: There’s been a lot of talk about you guys retro-fitting older movies like “Toy Story” and “Toy Story 2” into 3D. And I wanted to know if you’ve seen any of the footage and what does it look like?

Jim Morris: I have. It looks great and one of the reasons it looks great is actually our renderers are much better now than when we made the movie’s originally, so they actually have a higher level of detail to them and so forth. Just the shaders and the way they render.
This notes that the 2010 Blu-ray had the re-render:
https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/71...ahdbluray.html
The animated fantasy comedy was originally rendered at 1536x922 resolution (an aspect ratio of 1.66:1), and those original files were later re-rendered and mastered into a 2K digital intermediate for the 2010 Blu-ray. So, it's safe to assume Disney recycled that same source for this Ultra HD edition, displaying slightly sharper details inside the house, the wood grain in the furniture, the stitching of clothing fabric and a tad better texture on the plastic bodies, such as Mr. Potato Head and Rex.
More info:
https://www.quora.com/How-much-faste...t-took-in-1995
Toy Story was originally rendered back in 1995, and to our best estimate probably had frame render times which averaged in the range of 4 hours or so. When we went to rerender it, we obviously didn't want to be forced to use the same kinds of machines that we used back in 1995, so we made an effort to port the software that we used forward to more modern machines. In testing, we discovered that some minor incompatibilities that had crept into RenderMan since 1995 made it better to target an intermediate version of RenderMan, notably, version 12.5. Similarly, menv had gone from its original architecture to one based entirely upon hooks. ("Hooks" were a way of including models and such in a shot via reference, and replaced a C-like #include/function call paradigm.) We reverted to the last version of menv that was still capable of loading the original models, which was version 22. The rendering provided an interesting test of Moore's Law. Well, not the real Moore's law, but the one that says that computing power doubles every 18 months. In 15 years, we'd get 10 doublings, which would make modern computers 1000x faster. Our original Toy Story frames were averaging four hours, which is 240 minutes, so we might naively expect that we could render frames in just 15 seconds. We didn't really achieve that: our average render times were probably on the order of 2-4 minutes per frame (the original productions weren't instrumented to keep accurate statistics on rendertime, and we never bothered to really reinstrument them to do so.) The renders were fast enough that most of Toy Story was rerendered in "render farm white space", we never had any sizeable backlog of work queued on the farm. TS2 was substantially more complex: we averaged rendertimes of maybe 20-30 minutes per frame, with some especially difficult scenes taking maybe 40 minutes...
Toy Story 1 & 2 made sense to re-render, and it sounds like it helped that Pixar was still an ongoing entity and had used in-house tools that they had both kept updating and keeping good archives of older versions of.

The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (09-18-21)
Old 09-16-21, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts

If I had really liked the steelbook, I probably would have talked myself into buying Free Guy, but...meh...so I'll probably stick to digital only.
Old 09-17-21, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Toy Story 1 & 2 were re-rendered in 2008 for the 3D versions.

Toy Story 1 & 2 made sense to re-render, and it sounds like it helped that Pixar was still an ongoing entity and had used in-house tools that they had both kept updating and keeping good archives of older versions of.
Yes, and they also had plenty of cash on hand to spend on a project like that, for a couple of evergreen titles that will continue to bring in profits for generations. Square Pictures folded after Final Fantasy flopped. Nobody's investing extra money in that movie now.
Why So Blu? (09-17-21)
Old 09-17-21, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Yes, and they also had plenty of cash on hand to spend on a project like that, for a couple of evergreen titles that will continue to bring in profits for generations. Square Pictures folded after Final Fantasy flopped. Nobody's investing extra money in that movie now.
I agree, even if it's technically possible, i.e. the files still exist and can be re-rendered, the studio isn't likely to do it for Final Fantasy because the time/cost will be more than the likely return.

It's like how Paramount/CBS did a full HD remaster for Star Trek and Star Trek: The Next Generation, but not doing one for Star Trek: Deep Space 9 or Voyager. Even though the ability to remaster is there, as the DS9 documentary showed with select clips (including a CGI re-render), they don't feel the cost is justified.
Old 09-17-21, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by E Unit
Superbit originally was a line with the movie only. Then sometime later they started to add another blu with the extras. They never knew what they were doing.
I think there's a typo in your post, the Superbit line were DVDs, not Blu-rays.

The closest to Superbit on Blu-ray was Sony's "Mastered in 4K" line:
https://hd-report.com/list-of-4k-mas...-movie-titles/
Old 09-17-21, 08:30 PM
Banned by request

Right, my bad. Meant extra DVD.
Old 09-21-21, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,833 Likes on 1,212 Posts

Maniac Cop 2 and 3 are delayed till November 16th, due to manufacturing constraints.
Old 09-22-21, 06:26 PM
WTK

The Wolf of Wall Street | December 14

https://www.target.com/p/the-wolf-of...k/-/A-84596673

Old 09-25-21, 10:31 PM
Banned by request

Yikes. What the hell.
Old 09-27-21, 03:14 PM
WTK

Robot Carnival | December 28, 2021

https://www.rightstufanime.com/Robot...TRA-HD-Blu-ray

Original English dub, Japanese language, English subtitles. 4k Ultra HD, no region coding.

UHD RESTORATION FROM THE ORIGINAL NEGATIVES • BOTH 4:3 AND 16:9 PRESENTATIONS • DOCUMENTARY “THE MEMORY OF ROBOT CARNIVAL” • TRAILERS * STORYBOARD TO SCREEN SEQUENCES

A FUTURISTIC FANTASIA OF VISIONARY ANIMATION

A COLLECTION OF ART, ANIMATION, & ROBOTS FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 4K ULTRA HD!

Crawling across a desiccated landscape, Robot Carnival comes barreling its way onto 4K Ultra HD for the first time! A visual treat for the eyes as well as the mind, Robot Carnival is an anthology collection of nine short films, many directed by Japan’s top animators before they were famous. From funny to dramatic, artistic to entertaining, each story reaches towards the furthest corners of time and space to bring you a tale of robots and the people who make them. Whether you have a love for great hand-drawn animation, an appreciation for fine storytelling, or just like robots, this anthology is a must!

Adam Tyner (09-27-21)
Old 09-27-21, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,469 Likes on 2,496 Posts

My copy of Basic Instinct 4K UHD just arrived today. Took 14 days to arrive from the UK.

Not bad. If you're even remotely interested in it, I would go ahead and get it through Amazon UK sellers. It's a little pricey at around $30, but it's far better than going through Ebay.
Old 09-28-21, 02:42 PM
WTK

https://blog.alltheanime.com/anime-l...nan-in-the-uk/

Anime Limited to release Future Boy Conan in the UK

Let’s get straight to the headline – we’re thrilled and excited to announce that we’re bringing the legendary directorial debut of Hayao Miyazaki, Future Boy Conan, to the UK, starting in early 2022. What’s more, we’ll be releasing the entire series not only on Blu-ray, but also on 4K UHD Blu-ray for the first time anywhere in the world!

This classic series has recently received a full 4K restoration in Japan, and as always at Anime Limited we strive to bring you content in the best way possible – thus, our plan is to release the series as a Blu-ray and 4K UHD Blu-ray combo Collector’s Edition, making our release the first 4K release of the series anywhere in the world!

Our intention is to release the series over two Collector’s Edition instalments, each containing 13 episodes across two 4K UHD Blu-rays, and two regular Blu-rays.

But that’s not all – our Part 1 Collector’s Edition of the series will include a whopping 132-page book! Written by Jonathan Clements and Andrew Osmond, this full-blown book chronicles the history and production of the Miyazaki’s directorial debut, and is absolutely packed with insight as well as delving deep into the production of every episode of the series as it recounts tales from staff members who were there and taking part in its creation. This is a must-own book for fans and anyone interested in this seminal part of anime history, and is worth the price of entry alone as the most exhausting examination of the series available in English.

Of course, this release will also include a beautiful rigid slipcase, which will house both part one and two of the series – once released, part two will simply slip inside.

As things currently stand, our aim is to release our Future Boy Conan Part 1 Collector’s Edition in the first quarter of 2022 – we will of course have full details, pre-order dates and imagery of what our release will look like closer to the time.

U.S. Blu-ray release is coming from GKIDS and Shout! Factory later this year (November 16).

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product...roduct_id=7704
Adam Tyner (09-28-21)
Old 09-28-21, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,833 Likes on 1,212 Posts

That is jaw-dropping. Thank you so much for posting! Hopefully the sticker price won’t be too eye-watering.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.