Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

UHD release announcements

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

UHD release announcements

Old 01-16-19, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: UHD release announcements

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner

April 2nd
The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then The Bigfoot
With a title like that, I had to go look it up.
Unfortunately, I can't seem to find an official trailer.
Old 01-17-19, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus
With a title like that, I had to go look it up.
Unfortunately, I can't seem to find an official trailer.
Here's one:
Old 01-17-19, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,628 Likes on 2,603 Posts

https://www.amazon.com/Creed-II-4K-Blu-ray/dp/B07J35G5GM?SubscriptionId=AKIAIY4YSQJMFDJATNBA&tag=bluray-032-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07J35G5GM&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER https://www.amazon.com/Creed-II-4K-Blu-ray/dp/B07J35G5GM?SubscriptionId=AKIAIY4YSQJMFDJATNBA&tag=bluray-032-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07J35G5GM&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Creed II comes out March 5th on 4K UHD.

Old 01-17-19, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Aquaman - March 26th!
Old 01-22-19, 12:51 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Did anyone else buy Galveston on UHD?
it's super dark. Like... a bad encode or something. I looked online, and a review mentioned that they thought it might be intentional... but other people online have said it's not right. The accompanying Blu-ray disc is apparently much better in this regard.

And no, I don't have my TV set up wrong. Every other disc I own looks beautiful; this is the only one where I had to jack up the brightness just to see what's going on in any scene that's not in daylight.

What are the chances this ever gets a replacement program? Probably next to nothing. Such a shame.

Some comments/reviews I've seen:
In the standard Blu-ray review, I described how director Mélanie Laurent and her cinematographer, Arnaud Potier, used darkness and dim lighting to achieve a contemporary noir style. For RLJ Entertainment's 2160p, HEVC/H.265-encoded UHD disc, the HDR colorist appears to have taken his (or her) cue from this extensive use of half-light and dark settings and exaggerated it to such extremes that in many scenes the action has become impossible to follow. (Seriously: In the botched job that turns Roy into a fugitive, I would not have been able to tell what was happening if I didn't already know from watching the standard Blu-ray.) The blacks on the disc are velvety, deep and beautiful, but they don't service the story.
I feel for the characters but I had to turn on my super high contrast setting to high on my TV and it was still dark as hell.
The 4K HDR digital copy was the same way...extremely dark with the colors pushed way to the extreme. And one day, on iTunes, they fixed the 4K. Still in HDR but they definitely fixed it and it’s looks great now....
The opening, pivotal scene of criminal behavior is so buried in black you have no idea what's going on, and don't even recognize who someone is because they were so buried in black during their intro. There's a scientific term for this, and it's called "completely f**cked."

If you put your television brightness up to insane levels some of the detail is actually there, but the HDR buries it in black at anything approaching normal settings. Maybe there's some gamma/brightness tweaks you could make to turn it into something acceptable without blowing it out to grey completely, but I doubt it. I had to but brightness at max to see anything near the normal detail seen on the BD.

Last edited by Dan; 01-22-19 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-22-19, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

We are still in the relatively early years of grappling with HDR color grading. I think some of the questionable HDR grading from early UHDs will be seen as mistakes in a few years.
Old 01-23-19, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

From Chinese retailer UHD Club:

Old 01-23-19, 08:12 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From Chinese retailer UHD Club:
Typical. Indiana Jones doesn't need gimmick shit packaging. There better be a standard case set this time. I had to buy the individual releases on BD cause the packaging for the box set was garbage. At least this looks like it *might* hold standard cases.
Old 01-23-19, 09:51 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

That’s a very nice looking set. I’ll buy that day 1. I would think a paramount has that in the pipeline for the US as well since we got the MI and Jack Ryan series already. Not a fan of the fat sets though. Individual movie cases would be better.
Old 01-23-19, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Wow, if that's real, I would be really interested.

Old 01-24-19, 04:44 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Yeah. I can see myself picking up UHD releases of classic Disney animated titles I'd missed on Blu-ray, and I'm sure I could be suckered in by the large format ones like Sleeping Beauty. I'm not sure how many I already have that I'll upgrade, though.

In other news, the original Pet Sematary is coming to Ultra HD Blu-ray, tying into the theatrical release of the remake. Slated for March 26th.
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by E Unit; 01-24-19 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-24-19, 05:26 PM
Banned

Another Stephen King movie getting released, but the one that needs it most keeps getting ignored. I'd kill for a proper release of Storm of the Century to replace this goddamn double sided DVD.
Old 01-25-19, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Old 01-25-19, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
Wow, if that's real, I would be really interested.
It's probably real, UHD Club has already done some other releases, like a Wonder Woman set in 2017.

This site did a group buy, there's some pics of the set people received:
https://mediapsychos.com/topic/2920-...china/?page=14

Also, I found an onboxing on Youtube. It's in German, but you can enable auto-translate of the subtitles to get an idea of what he's saying.

The Indiana Jones set is going to be the 10th box UHD Club has done. It's all 4 movies, but UHD Blu-rays only.
https://mediapsychos.com/topic/5654-...#comment-73231
Old 01-26-19, 07:08 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Amazon.co.uk has new standard versions of the John Carpenter movies that were released last year in fancier sets. Better price (20 GBP)
Escape from New York -
Amazon Amazon

The Fog -
Amazon Amazon

The Prince of Darkness -
Amazon Amazon

They Live -
Amazon Amazon

All due March 18, but I'm not sure if there are US versions planned... those would be cheaper I'm sure.
These four come to 72.73 GBP shipped, or roughly $96. Ooof.

Last edited by Dan; 01-26-19 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-26-19, 10:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dan
Amazon.co.uk has new standard versions of the John Carpenter movies that were released last year in fancier sets. Better price (20 GBP)
Escape from New York - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Escape-From.../dp/B07MXW3QPH

The Fog - https://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Fog-Blu-ray/dp/B07MXVFX9B/

The Prince of Darkness - https://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Prince-...dp/B07MXW5XWF/

They Live - https://www.amazon.co.uk/They-Live-B...dp/B07MXW3NFK/

All due March 18, but I'm not sure if there are US versions planned... those would be cheaper I'm sure.
After I bought They Live, naturally. Of course, my 3 favorite John Carpenter titles will probably never see a UHD release (Escape From LA, Vampires, Ghosts of Mars).
Old 01-27-19, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

I don't know which is more random, that they are releasing First Avenger on 4K in February, or that they aren't releasing any others at the same time (I would at least think Winter Soldier and Civil War, the way they released the first 2 Avengers at the same time).
Old 01-27-19, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would be much more interested in the latter two. If they released a set I would do that. First Avenger on it's own not so much. It was an OK movie, but pretty meh compared to what came after.
Old 01-29-19, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Oh, that Indiana Jones set above has been confirmed as a fake. I have no idea why people waste their time trying to mock up something and pass it on as real, but whatever - Lucasfilm/Disney has no plans on releasing Indy on 4K right now - perhaps for Raiders 40th anniversary in a couple years.

EDIT: I see Djariya tried to post a link above confirming this - the link isn't showing (at least on my browser), but yes, Bill Hunt from Digital Bits is the one who confirmed this.
Old 01-29-19, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt

EDIT: I see Djariya tried to post a link above confirming this - the link isn't showing (at least on my browser), but yes, Bill Hunt from Digital Bits is the one who confirmed this.
Actually my post was Bill Hunt's tweet about Captain America: 1st Avenger being released on 4K UHD. Not an Indiana Jones follow up.
Old 01-29-19, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Oh, that Indiana Jones set above has been confirmed as a fake. I have no idea why people waste their time trying to mock up something and pass it on as real, but whatever - Lucasfilm/Disney has no plans on releasing Indy on 4K right now - perhaps for Raiders 40th anniversary in a couple years.
Well, it was "confirmed as a fake" by Bill Hunt, which doesn't really mean anything. Among many other examples, Bill also lists Doctor Strange as coming to Ultra HD Blu-ray in March or April, and that's long since been debunked. His track record is spotty, and a lot of his announcements are just coming from international retailers listing stuff early...invariably mentioned on blu-ray.com's forums before it's ever posted to his site.

As far as I know, Disney/Lucasfilm own the character and the rights to make future films in the series, but Paramount still holds the distribution rights to the existing 4 in perpetuity.

Originally Posted by Dan
I wish! The Fog and Escape from New York are MGM titles, and they have zero demonstrated interest in Ultra HD Blu-ray. Prince of Darkness and They Live are with Universal, but those don't really gel with the types of titles they've been bringing out. Scream Factory hasn't said a peep about bringing anything to Ultra HD Blu-ray, and given the prices of their regular ol' Blu-ray releases, it's hard to imagine their 4K titles coming in under $25 a pop.

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 01-29-19 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-29-19, 05:55 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

I wish! The Fog and Escape from New York are MGM titles, and they have zero demonstrated interest in Ultra HD Blu-ray. Prince of Darkness and They Live are with Universal, but those don't really gel with the types of titles they've been bringing out. Scream Factory hasn't said a peep about bringing anything to Ultra HD Blu-ray, and given the prices of their regular ol' Blu-ray releases, it's hard to imagine their 4K titles coming in under $25 a pop.
Oh! That’s more interesting to me then. I was thinking those four titles would (somehow) get the same treatment as Halloween and Christine (both of which I easily got for under $15 locally). If those other four titles aren’t getting released by the same company, then imports may actually be the best option.
The only downside is that I heard The Fog’s transfer isn’t great... something about crushed blacks.

Old 01-30-19, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Well, it was "confirmed as a fake" by Bill Hunt, which doesn't really mean anything.
Bill said he heard it from the studio. I obviously can't verify that, but there's no reason to lie about it. Not to mention that the image LOOKS fake.
Old 01-30-19, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Regarding the Indy boxset, FWIW, UHD Club announced a UHD Schindler's set back in January 2018, about 10 months before any "official" announcement, and 12 months before its release. Although, that boxset did get delayed a few times from their initial expected delivery dates.
https://mediapsychos.com/topic/3424-...blu-ray-china/
Old 01-31-19, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.