Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

UHD release announcements

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

UHD release announcements

Old 09-04-22, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts
Re: UHD release announcements

Halo fans are collectors so they'll buy, so a good move on their part. Question is, did Halo fans actually enjoy the series? I never heard much more than 'meh' to bitching about everything they got wrong.
Old 09-04-22, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

There were some requests to move the Batman color grade discussion to a separate thread, so I moved that conversation to Best/Worst 4K UHDs you have seen.

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Question is, did Halo fans actually enjoy the series? I never heard much more than 'meh' to bitching about everything they got wrong.
I haven't been paying super-close attention, but just from the conversations I've seen, yeah, that's the impression I've gotten too. It wasn't all negative, but I seem to remember something like "it's episode 7, and the Halo TV series actually feels like Halo!" Doing some quick Googling, they haven't even shown any Halo rings in the first season? That reminds me of the Ultimate Spider-Man comics where Peter didn't put on the Spidey costume until, like, the end of issue 3.

I've played through all the mainline Halo games and nearly all of the spinoffs, but I can't say I was ever interested enough in Halo narratively to read any of the books or comics, watch either of the movies, or check out the TV show. But from what I've heard, it sounds as if the folks behind the Halo TV series aren't all that interested in Halo's narrative either.
The following 2 users liked this post by Adam Tyner:
John Pannozzi (09-04-22), Michael Corvin (09-05-22)
Old 09-04-22, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I've played through all the mainline Halo games and nearly all of the spinoffs, but I can't say I was ever interested enough in Halo narratively to read any of the books or comics, watch either of the movies, or check out the TV show. But from what I've heard, it sounds as if the folks behind the Halo TV series aren't all that interested in Halo's narrative either.
Do the Halo games even have a narrative? The best I can tell, the entire franchise amounts to: soldier points gun at alien, soldier shoots alien, soldier points gun at alien, soldier shoots alien, soldier points gun at alien, wash, rinse, repeat. There's not enough there to build a story out of.

Much like we're seeing with Amazon's Rings of Power right now, the review-bombing campaign against Halo started months before anyone had seen a frame of footage from it, and was most likely an organized effort by professional trolls and bots funded by the studio's corporate rivals.
Old 09-04-22, 11:20 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,182 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Do the Halo games even have a narrative? The best I can tell, the entire franchise amounts to: soldier points gun at alien, soldier shoots alien, soldier points gun at alien, soldier shoots alien, soldier points gun at alien, wash, rinse, repeat. There's not enough there to build a story out of.
I'm not even a fan of Halo (I've played part of 1 and 3 and one of the top-down twin stick games, if I recall) but it took me about 10 seconds to find a brief overview, and like any well known sci-fi show/game/movie series, there appears to be tons of lore/narrative for those that want it.
In the 26th century, humankind has colonized hundreds of worlds in Earth's interstellar neighborhood, only to stumble upon a hostile alliance of aliens known as the Covenant. Motivated by the Prophets' promises of ascension to godhood in the form of the eponymous Halos, a series of ring-shaped superweapons built by the ancient race of the Forerunners, the Covenant are bent on humanity's destruction. With the apocalyptic Human-Covenant War concluded, members of both sides are faced with an uncertain future in a politically complex environment of numerous different factions and affiliations, while ancient Forerunner entities and technologies continue to involve themselves with the galaxy's affairs.
Sounds like it has no less depth than something like, I dunno, Dune.
Old 09-04-22, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Do the Halo games even have a narrative?
Yes, and it’s incredibly dense and convoluted. And some games, Halo 5 in particular, have beats that only make sense to people who’ve read supporting media, which I have not.
Old 09-04-22, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, fine. I've only played a little bit of Halo, and the only thing I ever got out of it was: "See alien, shoot alien."

Regardless, the point stands that the troll campaign against the TV series was already at full force months before the show itself actually premiered.
The following users liked this post:
Dan (09-04-22)
Old 09-05-22, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

KL Studio Classics just announced Needful Things.

PhantomStranger (09-06-22)
Old 09-05-22, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I’m really glad both cuts are included for Needful Things.
Old 09-07-22, 12:42 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I haven't seen this one posted, but Wayne's World is up for pre-order on Amazon, coming November 15th.

Amazon Amazon
John Pannozzi (09-08-22)
Old 09-07-22, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Are all of the Child's Play movies coming to UHD?
Old 09-07-22, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

It includes the following films:
  • Orlando (1992)
  • City of Lost Children (1995)
  • The Celluloid Closet (1995)
  • Run Lola Run (1998)
  • SLC Punk (1998)
  • Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000)
  • The Devil's Backbone (2001)
  • Volver (2006)
  • Synecdoche, New York (2008)
  • Call Me By Your Name (2008)
  • Still Alice (2014)

Celebrate the 30th Anniversary of Sony Pictures Classics with this limited edition box set:

Limited edition gift set includes fully remastered 4K UHD disc debuts for ORLANDO, THE CITY OF LOST CHILDREN, THE CELLULOID CLOSET, RUN LOLA RUN, SLC PUNK, THE DEVIL’S BACKBONE, VOLVER, SYNECDOCHE NEW YORK, STILL ALICE and CALL ME BY YOUR NAME – the only way to get these movies on 4K UHD, plus CROUCHING TIGER HIDDEN DRAGON with Dolby Vision
  • All eleven films presented with Dolby Vision HDR for the most premium presentation possible
  • CROUCHING TIGER HIDDEN DRAGON also includes Dolby Atmos audio; all films include original theatrical audio, as well
  • Includes hours of special features across the films: a mix of archival materials and exciting new content
  • Also includes a booklet with an all-new essay about the legacy of Sony Pictures Classics and details about the included films
Full Breakdown of all the extras for each release:

ORLANDO
Tilda Swinton and Billy Zane star in this hip, sexy and wickedly funny look at an English nobleman who defies the laws of nature and comes back to life as an English noblewoman.

ORLANDO 4K UHDDisc Breakdown
  • Feature presented in 4K resolution with Dolby Vision
  • English 2-Channel Surround DTS-HD Master Audio
  • Special Features:
  • Audio Commentary with Director Sally Potter and Actress Tilda Swinton
  • Select Scenes Commentary
  • Orlando Goes to Russia
  • Orlando in Uzbekistan
  • Jimmy Was an Angel
  • Venice Film Festival Press Conference
  • An Interview with Sally Potter
  • Theatrical Trailer
ORLANDO has a run time of approximately 94 minutes and is rated PG-13 for some sensuality.

THE CELLULOID CLOSET
Narrated by Lily Tomlin, this exuberant, eye-opening movie serves up a dazzling hundred-year history of gay men and women on the silver screen.

THE CELLULOID CLOSET 4K UHD Disc Breakdown
  • English 2-Channel Surround DTS-HD Master Audio
  • Special Features:
  • Audio Commentary with Filmmakers Rob Epstein, Jeffrey Friedman, Lily Tomlin, producer Howard Rosenman, and editor Arnold Glassman
  • Additional Commentary with Author Vito Russo
  • Collection of Outtakes
  • Interview with Vito Russo
  • Theatrical Trailer

THE CELLULOID CLOSET has a run time of approximately 101 minutes and is rated R for some graphic footage of sexuality and violence, and for language.

THE CITY OF LOST CHILDREN
From Jean-Pierre Jeunet, the director of AMELIE and DELICATESSEN, comes a fantastically twisted fairy tale chock-full of curious characters, spectacular stunts and unforgettable visuals.

THE CITY OF LOST CHILDREN 4K UHD Disc Breakdown
  • French 2-Channel Surround DTS-HD Master Audio
  • Special Features:
  • Audio Commentary with Director Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Actor Ron Perlman
  • NEWLY ADDED: Audio Commentary with Director Jean-Pierre Jeunet
  • Making-Of Featurette
  • "Les Archives de Jean-Pierre Jeunet"
  • Interview With Costume Designer Jean-Paul Gaultier
  • Theatrical Teasers & Trailer

THE CITY OF LOST CHILDREN has a run time of approximately 113 minutes and is rated R for disturbing and grotesque images of violence and menace.

RUN LOLA RUN
A thrilling post-MTV, roller-coaster ride! Time is running out for Lola (Franka Potente). She's just received a frantic phone call from her boyfriend, Manni (Moritz Bleibtreu), who's lost a small fortune belonging to his mobster boss. If Lola doesn't replace the money in twenty minutes, Manni will surely suffer severe consequences.

RUN LOLA RUN 4K UHD Disc Breakdown
  • German 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
  • Special Features:
  • Audio Commentary with Director Tom Tykwer and Actor Franka Potente
  • NEWLY ADDED: Audio Commentary with Director Tom Tykwer and Editor Mathilde Bonnefoy &
  • NEWLY ADDED: Making-Of Featurette
  • Still Running Featurette
  • “Believe” Music Video
  • Theatrical Trailer.
RUN LOLA RUN has a run time of approximately 80 minutes and is rated R for some violence and language.

SLC PUNK
It's 1985 and Stevo is that rare animal: a punk rocker in the Mormon stronghold of Salt Lake City, Utah. He just graduated from college with honors and now his life is a nutty roller coaster ride of rock shows, stealing cars, beating up rednecks and non-stop partying with his buddy, Heroin Bob, and his girlfriend. But with the scene getting lame and Stevo going nowhere fast, he has to put his punk ideals to the test.

SLC PUNK 4K UHD Disc Breakdown
  • English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
  • Special Features:
  • NEW: Revisiting SLC PUNK – a new interview with Director James Merendino
  • Audio Commentary with Director James Merendino and Actors Matthew Lillard & Michael Goorjian
  • Comic Book Gallery
  • Theatrical Trailer

SLC PUNK has a run time of approximately 97 minutes and is rated R for pervasive language, drug use, violent anti-social behavior and some sexuality.

CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON
An epic set against the breathtaking landscapes of ancient China, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon combines the exhilarating martial arts choreography by Yuen Wo-Ping (The Matrix) with the sensitivity and classical storytelling of an Ang Lee film. The result is something truly unexpected: romantic, emotionally powerful entertainment.

CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON 4K UHD Disc Breakdown
  • Mandarin Dolby Atmos & 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
  • Special Features:
  • Audio Commentary with Director Ang Lee and Writer / Producer James Schamus
  • Audio Commentary with Cinematographer Peter Pau
  • Introduction by Director Ang Lee
  • 7 Deleted Scenes (in 4K HDR)
  • Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - A Retrospective
  • The Making of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
  • English “A Love Before Time” Music Video
  • Mandarin “A Love Before Time” Music Video
  • A Conversation with Michelle Yeoh
  • Photo Gallery
  • Theatrical Trailer
CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON has a run time of approximately 120 minutes and is rated PG-13 for martial arts violence and some sexuality.

THE DEVIL’S BACKBONE
His father killed in the brutal fighting of the Spanish Civil War, ten-year-old Carlos is sent to live at the desolate Santa Lucia School, now a makeshift shelter for war orphans. Soon after his arrival, Carlos has a series of seemingly supernatural encounters: strange shadows, voices and, most frightening of all, the apparition of a brutalized young boy. Turns out that Carlos is not alone in seeing these strange phenomena, many other children have experienced the "One Who Sighs," as the entity has come to be called.

THE DEVIL’S BACKBONE 4K UHD Disc Breakdown
  • Spanish 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
  • Special Features:
  • Audio Commentary with Director Guillermo del Toro
  • Audio Commentary with Director Guillermo del Toro and Cinematographer Guillermo Navarro
  • Guillermo del Toro Introduction
  • Director’s Thumbnails Track
  • Director's Notebook
  • Que es un fantasma? Featurette
  • 4 Deleted Scenes with Director Commentary
  • Sketch, Storyboard, Screen – 6 Scenes
  • Making-Of Featurette
  • Summoning Spirits Featurette
  • Theatrical Trailer
THE DEVIL’S BACKBONE has a run time of approximately 108 minutes and is rated R for violence, language and some sexuality.

VOLVER
Academy Award®-winner Pedro Almodóvar (2003, Best Original Screenplay, Talk to Her) comes VOLVER, a comedic and compassionate tribute to women and their resilience in the face of life's most outrageous tribulations. A luminous Penélope Cruz leads an ensemble of gifted actresses, including Carmen Maura (Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown). Raimunda (Cruz) and her sister Sole lost their parents in a tragic fire years ago...or did they? Superstitious villagers claim that the girls' departed mother, Irene (Maura), has been seen wandering around their Aunt Paula's home. When Irene appears to Sole, she explains that she has returned to set right her daughters' troubled lives and reveal shocking secrets that will impact everyone!

VOLVER 4K UHD Disc Breakdown
  • Spanish 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
  • Special Features:
  • Audio Commentary: Director Pedro Almodóvar and Actor Penélope Cruz
  • Making of Volver Featurette
  • Interview With Pedro Almodóvar
  • Interview with Penélope Cruz
  • Interview With Carmen Maura
  • Tribute to Penélope Cruz
  • Theatrical Trailer

VOLVER has a run time of approximately 121 minutes and is rated R for some sexual content and language.

SYNECDOCHE, NEW YORK
From Charlie Kaufman comes a visual and philosophic adventure. Theater director Caden Cotard (Philip Seymour Hoffman) is mounting a new play. His life catering to suburban blue-hairs at the local regional theater in Schenectady, New York is looking bleak. His wife Adele (Catherine Keener) has left him to pursue her painting in Berlin, taking their young daughter Olive with her. His therapist, Madeleine Gravis (Hope Davis), is better at plugging her best-seller than she is at counseling him. A new relationship with the alluringly candid Hazel (Samantha Morton) has prematurely run aground. And a mysterious condition is systematically shutting down each of his autonomic functions, one by one. Worried about the transience of his life, he leaves his home behind. He gathers an ensemble cast into a warehouse in New York City, hoping to create a work of brutal honesty. He directs them in a celebration of the mundane, instructing each to live out their constructed lives in a growing mockup of the city outside.

SYNECDOCHE, NEW YORK 4K UHD Disc Breakdown
  • Special Features:
  • The Story of Caden Cotard Featurette
  • NFTS/Script Factory Masterclass
  • Infectious Diseases in Cattle Roundtable
  • In and Around Synecdoche, New York Featurette
  • Theatrical Trailer
SYNECDOCHE, NEW YORK has a run time of approximately 124 minutes and is rated R for language and some sexual content/nudity.

STILL ALICE
Alice Howland (Julianne Moore), happily married with three grown children, is a renowned linguistics professor who starts to forget words. When she receives a diagnosis of Early-Onset Alzheimer's disease, Alice and her family find their bonds thoroughly tested. Her struggle stay connected to who she once was is frightening, heartbreaking, and inspiring. Also starring Alec Baldwin, Kristen Stewart, Kate Bosworth and Hunter Parrish.

STILL ALICE 4K UHD Disc Breakdown
  • Special Features:
  • 3 Deleted Scenes
  • Directing Alice Featurette
  • Finding Alice Featurette
  • Interview with Composer Ilan Eshkeri
  • Theatrical Trailer

STILL ALICE has a run time of approximately 101 minutes and is rated PG-13 for mature thematic material, and brief language including a sexual reference.

CALL ME BY YOUR NAME
Amid the summer splendor of 1980’s Italy, Elio and Oliver discover the heady beauty of awakening desire that will alter their lives forever.

CALL ME BY YOUR NAME 4K UHD Disc Breakdown
  • Special Features:
  • Audio Commentary with Actors Timothée Chalamet and Michael Stuhlbarg
  • Snapshots of Italy: The Making of Call Me by Your Name Featurette
  • In Conversation with Armie Hammer, Timothée Chalamet, Michael Stuhlbarg, and Luca Guadagnino Featurette
  • "Mystery of Love" Music Video by Sufjan Stevens
  • Theatrical Trailer.

CALL ME BY YOUR NAME has a run time of approximately 132 minutes and is rated R for sexual content, nudity and some language.

Amazon Amazon
The following 3 users liked this post by Why So Blu?:
Adam Tyner (09-08-22), John Pannozzi (09-11-22), PerryD (09-07-22)
Old 09-08-22, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Wow, SLC Punk skipping over BD and going right to UHD! I'm interested in a couple others but not the full set. But I guess based on the Columbia Classics sets, it's not likely they'll be available individually, or at least not anytime soon (looks like only Strangelove has been released on it's own).
Old 09-08-22, 10:38 AM

Received 4,563 Likes on 3,097 Posts

CRITERION is releasing Wall-E
https://www.criterion.com/films/33246-wall-e
John Pannozzi (09-08-22)
Old 09-08-22, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Nice. May wait to see what extras this release brings because the Bluray is really good both visually and sound-wise and the extras are great including a lengthy documentary on the history of Pixar. (Can't speak for the 4k upgrade)
John Pannozzi (09-08-22)
Old 09-08-22, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 973 Likes on 685 Posts

Wow. That's fascinating. I guess Disney realized that the streaming market and the boutique physical media market are two distinct markets. I wonder if this is strictly a Pixar thing, or if they will be willing to let the Fox titles back out in the wild again?
John Pannozzi (09-08-22)
Old 09-08-22, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Is this the first Disney or Pixar animated movie to be released in the Criterion Collection?
Old 09-08-22, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheBang
Is this the first Disney or Pixar animated movie to be released in the Criterion Collection?
Pixar, yes. Disney animated, yes.

Once upon a time, they released The Rock and Armageddon (both from Disney's Buena Vista branch) on Laserdisc and DVD.
John Pannozzi (09-08-22)
Old 09-08-22, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Once upon a time, they released The Rock and Armageddon (both from Disney's Buena Vista branch) on Laserdisc and DVD.
And Touchstone, Miramax, and Hollywood as well, such as several of the Wes Anderson films that Criterion has released and the DVD of Chasing Amy.
The following 2 users liked this post by Adam Tyner:
John Pannozzi (09-08-22), Josh Z (09-08-22)
Old 09-08-22, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I hope Sony doesn't expect big sale numbers on that box set. I'd bet money it sees a very limited print run and then commands a fortune after selling out.
Old 09-08-22, 05:34 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I hope Sony doesn't expect big sale numbers on that box set. I'd bet money it sees a very limited print run and then commands a fortune after selling out.
Yeah, the half of them that I want, I really would like to have. I suppose since they appear to be individual cases for each movie, I could sell off the ones that I'm not interested in.
Old 09-08-22, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by PerryD
I suppose since they appear to be individual cases for each movie
Yeah, it sure does look that way, and it'd be in keeping with what Sony's done for the Columbia Classics collections.
Old 09-10-22, 03:00 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Vinegar Syndrome has the original Amityville Horror up for preorder.
Dang....I might get this one if it goes $15 or less. Always enjoyed the movie, but more interested in some of the Documentary stuff on the disc. This movie/book/story gets a ton of attention.

Does Vinegar sell other places other than their website? Or is it really limited?
Old 09-10-22, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Does Vinegar sell other places other than their website? Or is it really limited?
It’ll get a standard release available pretty much everywhere after a few months.
Old 09-10-22, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 722 Likes on 589 Posts

11/15/2022

John Pannozzi (09-11-22)
Old 09-11-22, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts

Wayne's World! Party time! Excellent!
John Pannozzi (09-11-22)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.