Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Blu-ray 3D) --> 11/15/16

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.
View Poll Results: Would you buy another incarnation with more extras?
Yes
43.18%
No
40.91%
What are you high?
15.91%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Blu-ray 3D) --> 11/15/16

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-16, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Blu-ray 3D) --> 11/15/16

Alan, now that you have a job you need to start paying back your folks for that loan you've been living off of for who knows how long. Forget buying stupid 3-D BD's.
Old 04-08-16, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
we get it. you hate 3D. please, keep coming to these threads to express this.

once a troll, always...
We get it. You love 3d. Please keep posting these inane threads to express this. Once a troll, always...

I see. Since I disagree with your opinion, I must be a troll. Surely you must be smart enough to think that maybe people will disagree with you, right? Surely you cant be that deluded that you think everyone will agree with you all the time, can you? And when did I ever say I "hate 3D"? I simply think that the current fad that is "3d" is ineffective and useless. In it's current incarnation it is a waste of money on not only an overpriced theater ticket, but also on an overpriced home video release.
Don't you have some threads to repost or discs to convert or something?
Old 04-08-16, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
We get it. You love 3d. Please keep posting these inane threads to express this.
You do understand, I hope, that this is a forum for discussing Blu-ray releases, including 3D ones?
Old 04-08-16, 11:31 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Of course we don't. Look at who started it.

And to answer the poll, of course not. Why would I waste my money on a useless 3d disc?
Yeah, and I asked the question of why another thread because I just started the other one. But Oldboy started it because there has been an announcement that there will be a 3D release. Not just because he loves 3D. I personally think there should be one thread for the entire movie which includes 3D, 4k, but whatever. It's wasted money to you, but to a lot of us, it's not.
Old 04-08-16, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
You do understand, I hope, that this is a forum for discussing Blu-ray releases, including 3D ones?
You do understand, I hope, that the poll question asked was a yes/no question, right? So negative responses are a viable answer to the question asked and should be expected. In fact "What are you, high?" was aprovided response. Now the OP gets pissy when somebody expresses dissent.
Old 04-08-16, 12:27 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

Now the OP gets pissy when somebody expresses dissent.
nope. only you
Old 04-08-16, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,075 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
If there ever get to be so many 3D discs released that I don't have room to store all of them, that will be a GOOD thing. Again, I'm doing this more to keep "voting" for 3D existing at all than to have the movies- with the bad press 3D gets, studio complaints of low sales and Disney not releasing some titles at all, I feel I should do whatever I can to help the situation. I've been a fan of 3D for decades and this is the BEST-quality home 3D that has ever existed- I don't want to see it become a failed technology due to low sales or public interest.

I wasn't a home 3D fan until I got a projector that does 3D several months ago. Now I am a huge fan and hope 3D sticks around.

I particularly enjoy the 3D releases of movies 1985 or before. Those have much better 3D than many new releases.
Old 04-08-16, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You do understand, I hope, that the poll question asked was a yes/no question, right? So negative responses are a viable answer to the question asked and should be expected. In fact "What are you, high?" was aprovided response. Now the OP gets pissy when somebody expresses dissent.
You were questioning the OP's creation of this perfectly legitimate thread. If the thread isn't for you, just go enjoy one of the hundreds of other threads that might be.
Old 04-08-16, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I wasn't a home 3D fan until I got a projector that does 3D several months ago.
Same here. I had almost zero interest until we set up our projector. Even though we still don't use the 3D mode all that often, it's a pretty cool feature to use now and then.
Old 04-08-16, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The 2D bluray that just came out looks fantastic. As something of a completist, I'd be tempted to buy the 3D version, particularly if it has unique extra features, but in all honesty I'm more likely to watch the 2D version at home. 3D on the TV just isn't as impressive or immersive as in the theater. Plus I can't twiddle with my phone with those glasses on. I think I can wait until the inevitable UHD version that will be out by the time I get around to shifting my home theater to UHD (not for a couple more years at the earliest).
Old 04-08-16, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite

I particularly enjoy the 3D releases of movies 1985 or before. Those have much better 3D than many new releases.
That's because movies that were released in 3D then were all shot and designed for 3D. Most modern movies are converted as an afterthought to get in on that 3D upcharge.
Old 04-08-16, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
You were questioning the OP's creation of this perfectly legitimate thread. If the thread isn't for you, just go enjoy one of the hundreds of other threads that might be.
Well, sure. But only after I answered the question that was asked in the OP, with one of the answers that the OP himself chose to provide. Op got all pissy because he didn't like that my answer didn't agree with his.
As to the question of whether this is a "perfectly legitimate thread", I would say that it may be a legitimate thread, in that it exists and has replies, but it is a wholly unnecessary one. There has already been plenty of talk about a possible 3d release for this title in several of the countless other threads devoted to this film. But then OPs MO is to create unnecessary threads.
Old 04-08-16, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

nope. only you
And you wonder why people dislike you.
Old 04-08-16, 03:17 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

And you wonder why people dislike you.
nope.
Old 04-08-16, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As to the question of whether this is a "perfectly legitimate thread", I would say that it may be a legitimate thread, in that it exists and has replies, but it is a wholly unnecessary one.
If you think it's unnecessary, ignore it. If it doesn't go away, that's because other people are enjoying it, which means it isn't unnecessary.

It ain't rocket surgery.
Old 04-08-16, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

Alan, now that you have a job you need to start paying back your folks for that loan you've been living off of for who knows how long. Forget buying stupid 3-D BD's.
I've started paying them back- but they love 3D too (but not enough to buy it themselves). I've even cleaned my living room up enough for them to come over and enjoy a few 3D movies.

Plus I can't twiddle with my phone with those glasses on.
That's a GOOD thing- you're supposed to pay 100% attention to the movie anyways. (I usually give it 99% attention, with the other 1% going to my cats. Wish I could buy them cat-sized 3D glasses.) I usually don't even answer the phone during a movie.
Old 04-08-16, 05:24 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I usually don't even answer the phone during a movie.
I don't either. They had all day to call me, fuck 'em, they can leave a message (or not).
Old 04-09-16, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

nope.
It shows.
Old 04-11-16, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kd5
I don't either. They had all day to call me, fuck 'em, they can leave a message (or not).
Text me. If it's important, I'll excuse myself. If not, I'm ignoring you to watch the movie.
Old 04-11-16, 08:12 PM
Banned

My only criticism of the poll is that it should be specific to 3D and not for more "extras." The 3D enhancement is the only thing that will get me to double dip unless Harrison Ford, Carrie Fischer and Mark Hamill deliver it themselves.

I already own the steelbook but will gladly spend the extra dough to have the 3D version. Everyone who has told me they don't like 3D and has come over and sampled a few of my 3D films asks to keep watching. You need a decent size display, comfortable glasses, some good movies popcorn and a soda!

I currently own somewhere around 100 3D titles.

I love 3D

Last edited by AaronSch; 04-11-16 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-12-16, 11:55 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm happy to support 3D releases of the film was made to be shown in 3D. Movies like Coraline, How To Train Your Dragon, Avatar (although I won't own that one because it's a bad movie in general), Hugo, Tintin, etc. However, there are very few releases shot and edited with 3D in mind, and I have no interest in supporting post conversion. Movies designed for 3D look amazing, most post conversions look like cardboard cutouts.
Old 04-19-16, 08:13 PM
Banned

Mebbe Disney will offer a 3D disc from Disney Movie Club?
Old 08-10-16, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=19607

Coming November 15th

NOTE: Digital bonus offerings may vary by retailer. NEW BONUS CONTENT IS AVAILABLE IN THE 3D COLLECTOR'S EDITION PACKAGE ONLY.

SPECIAL FEATURES:
NEW Audio Commentary with J.J. Abrams – Enter the mind of visionary director J.J. Abrams as he reveals the creative and complex choices made while developing the first film in the new Star Wars trilogy.
Foley: A Sonic Tale – Foley artists, consisting of old pros and new talent, unite to bring the world of Star Wars: The Force Awakens alive through the matching of sound to action.
Sounds of the Resistance – Hear how the epic sound design of Star Wars: The Force Awakens moves the Star Wars legacy forward.
Deleted Scenes – View never-before-shared scenes that didn't make the film's final cut.
Dressing the Galaxy – Costume designer Michael Kaplan reveals how the costumes of the original Star Wars movies were re-envisioned for a new generation.
The Scavenger and the Stormtrooper: A Conversation with Daisy Ridley and John Boyega – The two new stars share the thrill of working together on the adventure of a lifetime and becoming part of the Star Wars legacy.
Inside the Armory – Take a fascinating tour through the design and creation of the weaponry in Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
Classic Bonus Features – These offerings from the April release of Star Wars: The Force Awakens include the complete story behind the making of the film, an unforgettable cast table read, insights from legendary composer John Williams, and deleted scenes, as well as features that dig deeper into the creation of new characters such as BB-8, the design of the climactic lightsaber battle between Rey and Kylo Ren, the film's remarkable digital artistry, and the Star Wars: Force for Change global aid initiative.

Fuck!!! New edition includes a JJ commentary and more extras!!
Old 08-10-16, 04:50 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Well...yeah. I think with them announcing at the same time as the first release it was kind of obvious they were going to have the 3D package have additional extras.

Wait until the 4K release. I'm sure they'll dig up even more for it.
Old 08-10-16, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 312 Likes on 214 Posts

I'm slightly annoyed about the new extras, but this is not terribly surprising. I really like the minimalist cover art. If there's a Steelbook with that, it might push me over the edge into double-dipping.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.