Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

If physical media went away completely, would you be ok?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.
View Poll Results: Would you be ok if physical media went away completely?
Yes
21.18%
No
60.00%
What are you high?
18.82%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

If physical media went away completely, would you be ok?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-16, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts
Re: If physical media went away completely, would you be ok?

Originally Posted by big e
I don't think your blackout idea would fly. That would pretty much force the people who bought these boxes to go to the theater to see the movie, which would nullify the whole point of these boxes. Unless the person waited until after the movie's run was over, but at that point, you may as well wait until the home video release.
I think it would be a fair (but not perfect) compromise for both the theatre owners and the studios.

The theatre owners would still get their steady stream of local moviegoers and those that are too far away from a theatre (who wouldn't go anyway) will have a chance to add to the studio's revenue.

As I said, if you live in a major city that shows virtually every movie in a theatre this box wouldn't be worth it. If you live in a smaller city where you can watch Star Wars within 20 miles but you may not be able to watch something like "Brooklyn", this might be a viable option.
Old 04-09-16, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner
I think it would be a fair (but not perfect) compromise for both the theatre owners and the studios.

The theatre owners would still get their steady stream of local moviegoers and those that are too far away from a theatre (who wouldn't go anyway) will have a chance to add to the studio's revenue.

As I said, if you live in a major city that shows virtually every movie in a theatre this box wouldn't be worth it. If you live in a smaller city where you can watch Star Wars within 20 miles but you may not be able to watch something like "Brooklyn", this might be a viable option.
This device, to me at least, seems to be aimed at people who don't want to go to/deal with theaters.

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I could live without physical media if video went DRM free. I could handle backing up stuff on my own, and while streaming is convenient as an option, I don't entirely trust any business agency to keep access to my content available forever.

I've largely switched to digital downloads for music, since it's all DRM-free. I can usually still also stream and redownload from the service I bought it from, but I also have a local copy if that service ever dies.
I'm wondering if we'll see movie DRM become less of a PITA as/if downloads become more mainstream? We've already seen it done music downloads once they became mainstream.
Old 04-09-16, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Screening Room

Originally Posted by latweek
Will Napster co-founder Sean Parker's Screening Room disrupt the film industry?

He is pitching Hollywood on an unorthodox home-video service called Screening Room that would give users access to films the day that they're released in theaters for $50 each. If Parker succeeds, it could open a vast new revenue stream for him and change how entertainment is consumed in the home.

See LATimes article for details (can't post link).
I thought this was already being done, albeit as a more expensive option (Prima Cinema), than this proposal which would aim more at the masses. I suppose it will all depend upon if money flows to the right people.

I think the Prima Cinema was like $35,000 for the hardware and $500 per movie, but that was a few years ago when I first heard of it. Now, that, was aimed at the high-end, rich, home theater owner.
Old 04-09-16, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

The biggest issue with having first-run movies streaming to homes at the same time as they're in theaters is that they would be pirated immediately.
Old 04-09-16, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
The biggest issue with having first-run movies streaming to homes at the same time as they're in theaters is that they would be pirated immediately.
They're already being pirated as-is, so I don't think much difference would be made on that issue.
Old 04-09-16, 11:54 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I* should clarify that my perspective in bringing the Screening Room topic up here, is that I belong to the school of thought that the underlying driver behind consumer decision making is one of psychology and attachment, rather than features.

Sometimes, features are part of creating the consumer attachment, but sometimes its more the "appearance of features" that is indistinguishable to consumers than the reality.

I believe that if the content providers can create an attachment in consumer's minds to streaming by delivering first run movies, UHD, etc., they will continue to use streaming to displace physical in order to increase profit margins.

What does Screening Room provide? Conspicuous consumption. Consumers are driven by a "look what I have that you don't have" compulsion. Unfortunately, I can just see the "prestige" of asking ot go over to Johny's house to watch Superman vs. Batman vs. Aquaman vs. BlaBlaman PT 127........Mom, why don't we have that???

They may not have actually gotten a better value, but Madison Ave. has made a fortune from selling things to us that we don't need, and the phrase "New and Improved" has become a parody of itself.

*Disclaimer - I like physical media.
Old 04-10-16, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 896 Likes on 721 Posts

Most first-run titles are of such ephemeral value, low quality junk, that they're not even worth pirating. Catalogue titles, on the other hand....
Old 04-12-16, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 447 Posts

Now that the day's apparently coming when every movie ever made, probably from everywhere, can be fit into something the size of a Lego brick, everything seems so insignificant.

http://phys.org/news/2016-04-technic...ry-bottle.html
Old 04-12-16, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I was just looking at the thread's for Michael Mann's Manhunter, with all it's myriad of versions on DVD and Blu. That's always been my issue with streaming only: when someone like Mann or Lucas gets it into their head to change something, all they would have to do is change the original data file on the server and all of a sudden we find out Jar Jar is actually Anakin's father, turns out his full name is JarJar Midichlorians Binks.

Some of my old DVDs are starting to show their age on my 60" display, but at least I have proof they existed in that form at one point.
Old 04-12-16, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
Now that the day's apparently coming when every movie ever made, probably from everywhere, can be fit into something the size of a Lego brick, everything seems so insignificant.
Yeah, it's really insane isn't it?

I have an box full of 3.5" floppy discs from my old Windows 3.11 PC that I used to back up and store data from its 400mb hard drive.

I now have thumb drives, barely larger than the cap of a ballpoint pen, that can hold the equivalent of 100,000 of those discs. It's mind-blowing.
Old 04-19-16, 08:42 PM
Banned

Nope. I have a massive library with aisles upon aisles of releases. Of course there's no telling how many 1080p and 720p rips I have on my servers for titles not available on disc yet.
Old 05-18-17, 09:33 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

I'm really starting to consider more and more streaming stuff, like Vudu for my purchases. It's just getting out of hand. I have room in my walk in closet on the shelves. They are in drawers now. Think I posted what somewhere here. If Vudu can give me the movie and all the extras for $15 I'm all for it. Sure I'll still get physical but streaming is just getting easier and easier.

So do prefer streaming or physical now?
Old 05-19-17, 12:04 AM
Banned

If and when physical media dies, sites like VUDU, Flixster, and iTunes will begin charging fees to maintain your library. Read the fine print. The terms are there and the groundwork is already being laid. You think these sites are simply there for your convenience? I'll tell them to erase my library and shove it up their collective asses. There's no way they'll get a dime from me for the UV library. I have my discs.
Old 05-19-17, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronSch
If and when physical media dies, sites like VUDU, Flixster, and iTunes will begin charging fees to maintain your library. Read the fine print...
Well, with Vudu and Flixter, most of the films are transferrable via Ultraviolet, so if one service tries to charge fees, people will simply move to the other. Or, a third UV compatible site will pop up that people will migrate to. The same with Disney Movie Anywhere titles.

With iTunes, while nothing aside from DMA will migrate, they're still competing for new sales with Vudu, Flixter, Amazon, Google Play, etc. People are going to be less likely to buy more on a platform charging fees.

So, either way, competition is likely going to keep away any attempt at charging fees to maintain your library.

It's not like these companies need "maintenance fees" to be profitable. Storing the videos are a minimal cost in aggregate, and streaming costs pennies to them. They probably make enough from one sale of a digital title to host/serve videos to you for a decade.
Old 05-19-17, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

One reason why I buy so much is so that i'd have it years from now.
So if it went away, I would still have my collection to use no matter what else would happen.
Old 05-19-17, 09:41 AM
Banned

...So, either way, competition is likely going to keep away any attempt at charging fees to maintain your library.

It's not like these companies need "maintenance fees" to be profitable. Storing the videos are a minimal cost in aggregate, and streaming costs pennies to them. They probably make enough from one sale of a digital title to host/serve videos to you for a decade.
You are a dreamer. Why would they put that in the fine print if there is no intention? There is competition for cable and satellite, yet costs remain quite high. When you have an entirely digital world, companies will seek to increase profit. However, I don't believe physical media will entirely disappear in 10 years and perhaps not even in 20. But I will always prefer physical media until they lay me in the cold hard ground. I laughed during mothers day dinner, 'cause I asked my step sister what she shells out for Cable + Internet + Netfiix + Hulu + Amazon Prime...and then I told her I paid just $57.99 for my high speed internet...that's it. I have Mohu Leaf HD antennas for each display and my growing blu-ray collection...and I don't even have time to watch much of what I buy. So, I watch what I want when I want and don't pay for crap I don't watch or lack the desire to watch. Once you shell out that $200+ a month for the collective services, that money is gone for good. No thanks. I enjoy spending my money on more important pursuits.
Old 05-19-17, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

You are a dreamer. Why would they put that in the fine print if there is no intention? There is competition for cable and satellite, yet costs remain quite high. When you have an entirely digital world, companies will seek to increase profit. However, I don't believe physical media will entirely disappear in 10 years and perhaps not even in 20. But I will always prefer physical media until they lay me in the cold hard ground. I laughed during mothers day dinner, 'cause I asked my step sister what she shells out for Cable + Internet + Netfiix + Hulu + Amazon Prime...and then I told her I paid just $57.99 for my high speed internet...that's it. I have Mohu Leaf HD antennas for each display and my growing blu-ray collection...and I don't even have time to watch much of what I buy. So, I watch what I want when I want and don't pay for crap I don't watch or lack the desire to watch. Once you shell out that $200+ a month for the collective services, that money is gone for good. No thanks. I enjoy spending my money on more important pursuits.

Looks like she got the last laugh there.
Old 05-19-17, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

You are a dreamer. Why would they put that in the fine print if there is no intention?
Can you point to the fine print you're referring to? I don't see anything in Vudu's terms of service about charging fees to maintain your library:
http://www.vudu.com/termsofservice.html
Old 05-19-17, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

If I'm going to purchase something to own, it will be physical media.. not digital. That will always be the case.

My intention is that I will only purchase movies that I love and has great replay value... and can be purchased very cheaply (under $10).

However, even with that criteria - I"m finding less need to actually own the title now.
I'm realizing that even if it's got great replay value, I'm still not watching it very often at all. Maybe every few years. Why can't I just stream it every few years? Why do I need to pay money for it to take up space and collect dust?

With the amount of quality TV productions via cable channels and streaming services like HBO, Netflix, Amazon, etc - I already have a tough time keeping up with new movies... nevermind being able to rewatch old shows/movies.

I think I've finally reached the point where I have very little desire to own anything. Life's too short and money is too limited.

NOTE: I would probably purchase Blu-Ray concerts of artists I love if they ever release anything I would like. That would probably be the only things worth owning.
Old 05-19-17, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Looks like she got the last laugh there.
No kidding. He's bragging about spending money on stuff that he doesn't even have time to watch. Not sure why throwing money away is considered smart.
Old 05-19-17, 10:23 AM
Banned

Nope, i don't think so spud. She didn't get the last laugh. She has no bank account to speak of....My discs are there when I am ready to watch. With your logic I would have to view everything immediately after purchase. It's a library. The point is, once you shell that money out to various services, ALL of that money is gone. I could still sell or trade titles in my collection..there is still value beyond my ownership. Good try. Well, not really. Plus, there is the shear pleasure of hunting and collecting. That of course is subjective and intangible.

If you disagree, why argue? Just sell off your physical media, stop posting in these forums and be done with it.

Last edited by AaronSch; 05-19-17 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-19-17, 10:36 AM
Banned

Can you point to the fine print you're referring to? I don't see anything in Vudu's terms of service about charging fees to maintain your library:
http://www.vudu.com/termsofservice.html
Via UltraViolet:

You accept the Terms by accessing or using the Services or by otherwise indicating your consent. We may change these Terms or modify any features of the Services at any time. We will post notice of modifications to these Terms on this page. Changes will become effective 14 days after they are posted, except that changes due to laws, regulations, code of practice, or similar requirements or to reflect new features are effective immediately. You accept any changes to the Terms by continuing to access or use the Services after we post the changes.

Via VUDU:

YOU AGREE THAT VUDU MAY ELIMINATE OR OTHERWISE MODIFY ANY OR ALL ASPECTS OF THE VUDU SERVICE, VUDU COMMUNITY AND VUDU COMMUNITY FEATURES OR ANY OTHER ASPECTS OF THE VUDU SERVICE AT ANY TIME, WITHOUT COMPENSATION OR NOTICE TO YOU.

And there's more...

By using the Vudu Service, you are expressly agreeing that Vudu is authorized to charge you any applicable rental, subscription or purchase fees or taxes and any other charges you may incur in connection with your use of the Vudu Service to the payment method you provided during registration (or to a different payment method if you change your account information). The fees and charges for selected Content, applicable taxes and any other fees incurred will automatically be charged to your payment method in your Vudu Account. For preorder rentals or purchases, you may be charged up to 24 hours prior to the time the Content is released and available. Fees are payable only in U.S. dollars. Vudu may change the fees and charges in effect or add new fees and charges from time to time. There may be a temporary disruption of your access to the Vudu Service until Vudu can verify the validity of any new credit or debit card information. Pricing errors may occur on the Website. In the event of a pricing error, Vudu reserves the right to restrict your access to Content, with no further obligations to you, even after your receipt of Content or confirmation of Content availability. Vudu may, in its sole discretion, either contact you for instructions or restrict access to Content.

Okay, that was easy.

Last edited by AaronSch; 05-19-17 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-19-17, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
No kidding. He's bragging about spending money on stuff that he doesn't even have time to watch. Not sure why throwing money away is considered smart.
(From a contrarian perspective).

Spending cash and bragging about it in such a manner does not always fall into rational thinking/behavior.

Such spending patterns has more to do with non-rational + emotional type of reasons.

I don't fault anyone for spending tons of cash in a non-logical/non-rational manner. It is perfectly normal human behavior, albeit defying any rational explanation.
Old 05-19-17, 10:51 AM
Banned

Whatever the f*ck that means. In layman's terms, when you buy something tangible it is yours to keep, sell or trade. These digital services are paid for and ALL of your money is gone. POOF! Gone, gone gone. And your ownership is severely limited. Period. Case closed. Fin.

And what's with the psycho babble? Is this not a website devoted to the purchase and collection of DVDs, Blu-rays and UHD Discs? Any collection-size envy is your problem, not mine. If I earn more to make discretionary purchases, I make no apologies. I work hard and enjoy the fruits of my labor. Jealous? get off the sofa and get a better job.

Last edited by AaronSch; 05-19-17 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-19-17, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

My primary motivation nowadays for still buying discs, is unrelated to collecting a library of movies.

I'm still very fascinated by how the copy protection DRM functions on optical discs, and what new "rube goldberg" type structures the movie companies are still using on their current dvd/bluray releases. It's like attempting to decipher and figure out how a contraption designed by Wile E Coyote or MacGyver functions.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.