DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Freaks & Geeks: Collector's Edition (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/630813-freaks-geeks-collectors-edition.html)

Decker 04-23-21 09:07 AM

Re: Freaks & Geeks: Collector's Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13924814)
Isn't the Best Buy one stripped down? Or do they sell the "normal" version too?

Same edition, same price.

badlieut 04-23-21 09:41 AM

I succumbed to the out of print heads up and purchased the set as well. Still have the DVD set somewhere.

OldBoy 04-23-21 09:22 PM

Mine came perfect from Amazon today. Best packaging in long time. Not sure what F13 came it, but this was in a box with bubble padding. No loose anything. Perfect. Very nice, but little odd where I have it? I want to see it and display so I’ll see and easy to get to. WS all the way. Fuck OAR...

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...02cdd21f1.jpeg

Michael Corvin 04-23-21 10:58 PM

What's with the giant packaging? It's barely a full season of episodes.

Decker 04-24-21 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 13925264)
What's with the giant packaging? It's barely a full season of episodes.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...5210bcc8f.jpeg

Two Blu ray cases for the episodes, 4 discs each for FS and WS versions, a thin case for the supplementary video features and a booklet.

OldBoy 04-27-21 07:11 PM

I’ll tell ya one thing, these eps look damn good in WS. Even the first one that fills bc not originally shot in. But, tell me this...if filmed in WS, why was it broadcasted in 4:3 on tv? Many cable shows WS. Why not this?

lwhy? 04-27-21 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13926863)
I’ll tell ya one thing, these eps look damn good in WS. Even the first one that fills bc not originally shot in. But, tell me this...if filmed in WS, why was it broadcasted in 4:3 on tv? Many cable shows WS. Why not this?

Most Network shows were not broadcast in 16:9 in 1999. ER was the first network show that I remember that started to broadcast in 16:9 during season 7 in 2000.

OldBoy 04-27-21 08:13 PM

Then why film in WS at all?

lwhy? 04-27-21 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13926879)

4:3 was the standard then and most people had 4:3 TVs. Many people didn't have Widescreen TVs for years. The TV station where I work didn't go 16:9 HD until 2007 and we were the first tv station in Tennessee that was HD then.

rocket1312 04-27-21 08:48 PM

Presumably the show was shot on 3 perf 35mm, which has a native widescreen aspect ratio. That doesn't mean they shot it with the intention of widescreen, but they are able to open up the left and right of the frame and fake it. Same thing is true with the X-Files, Seinfeld and any number of other tv shows shot on film.

T-bone22 04-27-21 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13926863)

This is explained on the first page of the booklet that comes with the set...

story 04-27-21 11:29 PM

I hemmed and hawed over that $25 price a few years ago, and I've avoided the $40 price so far. Aaaand I got it. Can't wait for it to miraculously go back in print for half price in a year!

Mike86 04-28-21 11:03 AM

I’ve always heard good things about this show, but I rarely buy tv seasons now days. Especially when they’re blind buys. Might just stream it someday instead.

OldBoy 04-28-21 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by T-bone22 (Post 13926908)
This is explained on the first page of the booklet that comes with the set...

read? hmmm, that’s a thinker.

OldBoy 04-28-21 07:40 PM

Loved seeing Allen Covert in 2nd ep. Love him. And the music is so good. I barely remember. Just downloaded Come Sail Away by Styx and it’s a damn good song. Love the intro especially.

John Pannozzi 04-30-21 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13924080)
Sold. $43 on Amazon.

Ditto. My copy just arrived today.

andicus 04-30-21 07:40 PM

Received mine, today, too! $50 CDN from Amazon. It's a very nice set!

OldBoy 04-30-21 08:19 PM

These eps just look so good in WS. It’s like seeing for the first time. And just discovered Styx!! Come Sail Away (edit) and then downloaded greatest hits. Babe, Show Me the Way, Best of Times, and who knew there was a whole song attached to Domo arigato Mr. Roboto (misuta Robotto)?? They are amazing!

albert_m 05-10-21 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13928278)
and who knew there was a whole song attached to Domo arigato Mr. Roboto (misuta Robotto)?? They are amazing!

Gen X.

JeffTheAlpaca 05-16-21 09:00 PM

I thought this was a classic or cult fave and would not ever go out of print.

Gizmo 05-18-21 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 13934476)
I thought this was a classic or cult fave and would not ever go out of print.

That's not how licensing works.

andicus 06-02-21 10:52 AM

If anyone that wants this hasn't picked it up yet, I wouldn't wait much longer. It's already only 3rd party sellers on Amazon US and Canada.

I wouldn't be surprised if they get more in stock, but both sites being out makes it seem as though that may be it.

Michael Corvin 06-02-21 08:20 PM

I've been watching it for a few weeks now. The widescreen sounds appealing but just couldn't pull the trigger. Guess this makes the decision easier. :lol:

clckworang 06-02-21 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by andicus (Post 13941080)
If anyone that wants this hasn't picked it up yet, I wouldn't wait much longer. It's already only 3rd party sellers on Amazon US and Canada.

I wouldn't be surprised if they get more in stock, but both sites being out makes it seem as though that may be it.

You can still order it at Best Buy for $35.

Decker 06-02-21 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by clckworang (Post 13941320)
You can still order it at Best Buy for $35.

That's the DVDs. And it's backordered.