Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies you're surprised that haven't been released on Blu yet

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Movies you're surprised that haven't been released on Blu yet

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-16, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: Movies you're surprised that haven't been released on Blu yet

Originally Posted by AaronSch
Until I have all the domestic releases I want, I am not going to pay a fortune to purchae an Oppo region free player and expensive imports. It has nothing to do with being "cheap." It is simply "priorities." I also prefer to have the notes and print in english. I'll buy region-free titles to import but prefer domestic or Canadian releases. I just recently nabbed "Funny Games" because I got tired of waiting.

What frustrates me the most about the UHD format is that it ensures that the studios will continue to churn out the same damn discs all over again rather than digging into their catalog for some of these titles. There are hundreds of worthy titles that have yet to be released in high definition.
Fair enough - but you don't need an Oppo. I paid less than $100 for a region free player about a month ago. A Sony one. It's a fucking great little BD player. Funny Games? The remake with Tim Roth? That was one of my first region import titles when I first got into importing.
Old 05-22-16, 09:33 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Funny Games? The remake with Tim Roth? That was one of my first region import titles when I first got into importing.
Yes. I had it until I sold off my collection a few years ago. I had heard there was to be a domestic release so I waited. But finally nabbed the import again. I've purchased Canadian releases like "Far From Heaven" and "Sorceror." Back when I first started collecting blu-rays. I scanned through websites to find region-free imports. I'm just not wanting to pay the cost when there are so many titles I still want that come up domestically for less thaan $10 if you are patient. When I run out of local stuff I may venture overseas again.
Old 05-22-16, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think imports count. They're right fucking there but if folks are too cheap to go region free then that's their problem.

I keep seeing Quest For Fire on lists. I've had the fucking thing for like 5 years already in BD.
In keeping with the theme of the thread; "surprised they aren't released", this would definitely count. It has been released in other areas yet we haven't gotten it years later? I am definitely surprised at that.
Old 05-22-16, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JimRochester
In keeping with the theme of the thread; "surprised they aren't released", this would definitely count. It has been released in other areas yet we haven't gotten it years later? I am definitely surprised at that.
Or change the thread to "surprised they haven't been released in the USA."
Old 05-22-16, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes. I had it until I sold off my collection a few years ago. I had heard there was to be a domestic release so I waited. But finally nabbed the import again. I've purchased Canadian releases like "Far From Heaven" and "Sorceror." Back when I first started collecting blu-rays. I scanned through websites to find region-free imports. I'm just not wanting to pay the cost when there are so many titles I still want that come up domestically for less thaan $10 if you are patient. When I run out of local stuff I may venture overseas again.
I'd get Far From Heaven but that import seems to always be cost prohibitive even for me. Granted, I have not checked the most recent price.

I'll wait for sales usually, when it comes to imports. It all depends on the title.
Old 05-22-16, 10:16 AM
Banned

That makes sense but I assumed that was the intent anyway. Many people are not as sophisticated about their collecting.
Old 05-22-16, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Or "easily accessible for the lazy and uninitiated like myself"
Old 05-22-16, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Touche, touche. I came off a bit strong there.
Old 05-22-16, 10:29 AM
Banned

I'd get Far From Heaven but that import seems to always be cost prohibitive even for me....
A year or so ago I took a Saturday to shop all my usually haunts looking for Blu-ray treasure. I spotted "Far From Heaven" on the shelf and my hand started to shake! I also picked up a pristine Canadian steelbook of "The Fighter" that day and I wondered if someone sold off a few of their imports. I paid $7.99 for "Far From Heaven" and $9.99 for "The Fighter" steelbook. I just love afternoons like that.

Other films I've recently happened upon used like-new that are out-of-print:

The Phantom $7.99
The Cable Guy $7.99
True Romance $7.99
Two Girls and a Guy $4.99
Various OOP Disneys
Various Steelbooks

Last edited by AaronSch; 05-22-16 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-22-16, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

A year or so ago I took a Saturday to shop all my usually haunts looking for for Blu-ray treasure. I spotted "Far From Heaven" on the shelf and my hand started to shake! I also picked up a pristine Canadian steelbook of "The Fighter" that day and I wondered if someone sold off a few of their imports. I paid $7.99 for "Far From Heaven" and $9.99 for "The Fighter" steelbook. I just love afternoons like that.
Oh, now that's a score!
Old 05-22-16, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 898 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Or "easily accessible for the lazy and uninitiated like myself"
These days, if a favorite film gets released on BD in any region, I'm grateful, and usually make the purchase, especially when the movie is an obscure catalog title, unlikely ever to have a USA release. In fact, my track record on that score is pretty poor for domestic catalog titles... So, it has been a case of spending quite a bit of $$$ for 1080p non-domestic upgrades. Of course, encode and transfer quality varies substantially among domestic releases vs foreign releases of the same film. Often the Region B release is is vastly superior to any domestic version.

And for those who think buying a vastly-overpriced and over-valued OPPO is the only way to go region free are fortunately very mistaken. The Oppo crowd seems to be a bunch of fanboys similar to the Tesla crowd. There are region-free options available for 1/10 the cost of that Oppo. And even without a region-free player, there's always the rip-and-burn as a Region Free BD-R method as well!

Still, it's indeed inexcusable that THE ABYSS and THE HITCHER haven't been released in ANY form in BD... Those two remain final holy grails.
Old 05-22-16, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

There is a lot of stuff I wish was out, but at same time I understand why it's not been released - All those great Paramount titles are unfortunately at the hands of people in charge who HATE optical media at the retail level.

But then there is something like this...

...which I'm not claiming is a great movie- but it IS an exploitable one.
Cohen owns the rights to it, and while it's laudable that they almost exclusively release high-brow foreign and little seen classics, I'm very surprised they haven't released something like this to help subsidize those other efforts.
Old 05-22-16, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Clifford with Martin Short.
Old 05-22-16, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Might have been mentioned but would love to see Hurly Burly at some point.
Old 05-22-16, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Time After Time
Sleuth
Gone in 60 Seconds (original soundtrack)

I assume there are legal issues with the latter two.
Old 05-23-16, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

No Blu Ray OR dvd release for what I'd consider one of the 100 greatest films of all-time.

Old 05-23-16, 09:27 AM
Banned

The title I would love to obtain above all others missing in action is Francis Coppola's "The Cotton Club." Not too long ago, director Robert Rodriguez interviewed Coppola for his series on El Rey, "The Director’s Chair," and at the end of the show he presented a question from a director who admired "The Cotton Club" asking if he would revisit the film and restore the footage that was cut for a new 4K blu-ray. Evidently, Coppola answered that it was in the works and that he had restored the footage containing musical numbers that were excised from the theatrical release for a new 4K blu-ray. I pray the film is released by Criterion in a multi-disc package including both the theatrical and restored version with interviews and all the behind the scenes intrigue regarding the production of this highly underrated film. It is more than likely this will happen since they did such a beautiful job of presenting Francis Coppola's production of the Carroll Ballard directed film, "The Black Stallion" on blu-ray.

Last edited by AaronSch; 05-23-16 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-23-16, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I want The 13th Warrior. I believe there's a German import BD but that has forced subtitles. I'm also aware that Amazon and VUDU have the HD version for streaming but I'd want the BD. Oliver Stone's Talk Radio is another one that is not available anywhere except by digital means.
Old 07-16-17, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJariya
I count the following Norris movies not being on BD:

The Cutter (2005)
Top Dog (1995)
Hellbound (1994)
Sidekicks (1992)
The Hitman (1991)
Delta Force 2 (1990)
Missing in Action III (1988)
Invasion USA (1985)
Forced Vengeance (1982)
Silent Rage (1982)
Breaker, Breaker (1977)

As I mentioned above, the only 2 here that I really care about are Forced Vengeance and Invasion USA. Delta Force 2 is okay, but I wouldn't lose sleep if it never got released. I'm content with my old MGM DVD.
Missing in Action III (1988)
Invasion USA (1985)
Forced Vengeance (1982)
Silent Rage (1982)
Breaker, Breaker (1977)

You can find these on BD now.

Silent Rage is on a triple movie pack titled Payback Time. It also has Blind Fury with Rutger Hauer and White Line Fever starring Van Michael Vincent. Mill Creek released this selling it for $14.96. Amazon has it for prime members at $6.76.

The others are by themselves.
Old 08-21-20, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 722 Likes on 589 Posts

This will get a Sept 15, 2020 release

Old 08-21-20, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

There are a few early 90's Mel Gibson movies (Hamlet, Forever Young, Man Without A Face) I'd like to have on Blu-ray. I'm guessing they would have been released if not for his transgressions.
Old 08-21-20, 11:46 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts

Run (1991)...with Patrick Dempsey and Kelly Preston
The Hitcher (1986)...US release
Old 08-21-20, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 722 Likes on 589 Posts

Surprised this has not been released.

Old 08-21-20, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

One of Woody Allen's most acclaimed films, totally MIA. There's a European BD, and an OOP non-anamorphic DVD. Not even available to stream or buy on digital.
Old 08-21-20, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I want The 13th Warrior. I believe there's a German import BD but that has forced subtitles. I'm also aware that Amazon and VUDU have the HD version for streaming but I'd want the BD. Oliver Stone's Talk Radio is another one that is not available anywhere except by digital means.
I agree. I love that movie. I would get it on blu any day of the week. Last time that I looked the European version was highly priced.