Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Back to the Future -- 30th Anniversary Trilogy

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Back to the Future -- 30th Anniversary Trilogy

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-15, 06:24 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Re: Back to the Future -- 30th Anniversary Trilogy

any reviews for this new release?
Old 10-20-15, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
any reviews for this new release?
The movies are the same as the previous 25th set including the extras. Only difference is the new extra 2 hour bonus disc and the digital HD UV copies.
Old 10-20-15, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's also the special packaging, booklet, and animated series included if you purchased the "Complete Adventures" version like I did (but for the record, this is my first purchase of these movies...never seemed to get around to purchasing them despite them being some of my favorites).
Old 10-20-15, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I wish that the cost of Back to the Future: The Complete Animated Series was a bit less. I want it but $35 seems a bit steep for it because even though I love the films I remember the series not being as good and would really just buy it because I'm a fan of the franchise in general.
Old 10-20-15, 07:20 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
The movies are the same as the previous 25th set including the extras. Only difference is the new extra 2 hour bonus disc and the digital HD UV copies.
Shit. I didn't know that.
Old 10-20-15, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk God

FYI, the new bonus disc is a Blu-Ray

Bought the Target exclusive steelbook today. Looks much better than the original package.

Going to pass on the new Back in Time documentary. It's going to be posted on Netflix tomorrow and I'll watch it there instead of coughing up $27 for it on Amazon.

I'm officially done with Back to the Future!! No 35, 40, 45, 50th anniversary sets for me.
Old 10-20-15, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Shit. I didn't know that.
It's why I'm debating whether to even get it at all. I would like the UV codes, but I can just D2D them.
Old 10-21-15, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got mine at Target - Cool Steelbook with Slipcase!

Old 10-21-15, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Nice. I'm not re-buying the set, but that's really nice and way better packaging than my set.

I am getting Back in Time documentary Blu, though.
Old 10-21-15, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Nice. I'm not re-buying the set, but that's really nice and way better packaging than my set.

I am getting Back in Time documentary Blu, though.
I agree on not re-buying the set. I would like to watch some of the animated series to see if i enjoy it. While I thought about buying the Back in Time blu, I've chosen to watch it on Netflix...
Old 10-21-15, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I got the Target SteelBook as well. Sold the first Blu-ray release for $20 which took the sting out of double dipping.
Old 10-22-15, 02:14 AM

How you get the slipcover with it. All the copies i saw didn't have a slipcover
Old 10-22-15, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Even the art on the discs is exactly the same as the 25th Anniversary set. I went with the Target steelbook. It's nice, takes up less space, and I don't have to deal with those disc holders with the death grip anymore. So, I guess it was worth it.
Old 10-22-15, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dizzlle01
How you get the slipcover with it. All the copies i saw didn't have a slipcover
He took it off the regular blu ray set. I guess "stole" would be the more proper term unless he actually bought both sets.
Old 10-22-15, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
He took it off the regular blu ray set. I guess "stole" would be the more proper term unless he actually bought both sets.
It came with it. *there were three steelbooks with slipcase in the Target store I went at.
Old 10-22-15, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup. Harder to do when they put everything in those little plastic jails like they do at my local store. Even the $5 discs are put in jail at my store. Only some DVD's are set free.

Having seen an unboxing for the steelbook I actually like the standard packaging for this better. Will be waiting for the eventual price drop.
Old 10-22-15, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xage
It came with it. *there were three steelbooks with slipcase in the Target store I went at.
Well I guess if you didn't do it, someone else did then. Either way, the slips are for the other release, not the steelbooks. It would be pretty dumb to put a slip on a steelbook.
Old 10-22-15, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well I guess if you didn't do it, someone else did then. Either way, the slips are for the other release, not the steelbooks. It would be pretty dumb to put a slip on a steelbook.
100% correct on this release, although some of the premium SteelBook makers from Korea, China, as well as the Mondo line do come with slipcovers. I sell or toss those, as I don't see the point in covering a SteelBook.
Old 10-22-15, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's also pretty rare that a slipcover would fit over a steelbook anymore. Used to be that most DVD slipcovers would fit over DVD steelbooks. Did it myself many times. If they have different artwork, I really like the look.

But most BD steelbooks will never fit in the slim BD case slipcovers.
Old 10-23-15, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk God

I watched the Back in Time documentary last night on Netflix. It was good, not great. Not something I would ever need to watch again. They covered some aspects of the making of the movie and it's development, but most of it seemed to focus on the fans of the film and the movie's impact on their lives.

I did like seeing all the new interviews with Fox, Lloyd, Thompson, Zemeckis, Spielberg and Bob Gale.

If you already subscribe to Netflix, I would watch it there than blow $28 on the BD disc.
Old 10-23-15, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Yeah my friend said it was just okay too. I'll probably get it at some point just because I'm a fan of the franchise and want to own it but I'll wait for it to be under $20.
Old 10-23-15, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

I got a little excited when Bob Gale said that the Eric Stoltz footage would be released at some point. All of it.
I’m not going to say never. We did not destroy the footage, because we expect that sometime, in some future anniversary, we may let it get out there. They may see it sometime. I’m not going to say for sure, much less when. But I will say that we had the opportunity to completely destroy it. And we did not. So, it does exist in a vault somewhere.
Old 10-23-15, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by VHS?
I got a little excited when Bob Gale said that the Eric Stoltz footage would be released at some point. All of it.
I noted that too, and would love to see that sometime. I never knew about that situation, (or else I just forgot at some point). I knew Harvey Keitel was replaced on-set as Capt. Willard during the filming of Apocalypse Now, but I never knew about Stoltz on BTTF.
Old 10-23-15, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,206 Likes on 2,069 Posts

I watched the Back in Time documentary last night on Netflix. It was good, not great. Not something I would ever need to watch again. They covered some aspects of the making of the movie and it's development, but most of it seemed to focus on the fans of the film and the movie's impact on their lives.
I agree. I watched it last night as well and while it was nice seeing fans of the series getting their moment in the spotlight I think the documentary focused a bit too much on it. I don't need to see every BttF themed event that the guy who played Goldie Wilson has ever been to, and while the segment about restoring the original Delorean was nice, the film spent way too much time discussing Deloreans in general (fans with Deloreans, Delorean car shows, etc).

Overall I'm glad I watched it but can't see myself ever seeing it again. Though I did enjoy Michael J. Fox's story about watching the movie with Princess Diana.
Old 10-23-15, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I did like seeing all the new interviews with Fox, Lloyd, Thompson, Zemeckis, Spielberg and Bob Gale.

If you already subscribe to Netflix, I would watch it there than blow $28 on the BD disc.
I felt the same way...the first 30 minutes that focus on the making of the original film are pretty good...then they switch to the fanbase and it gets rather "meh". It's not a very well-made documentary, compared to ones we've seen made about other movies (like "The Shark is Still Working").

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.