Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only Kino Lorber Blu-ray Thread

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The One and Only Kino Lorber Blu-ray Thread

Old 08-22-16, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 581 Likes on 431 Posts
re: The One and Only Kino Lorber Blu-ray Thread

For those so inclined, Kino just tweeted they'll be releasing Ridley Scott's 1492: CONQUEST OF PARADISE on Blu-Ray and DVD. I assume there's some kind of involved ownership history behind this one? I remember Paramount releasing it to theatres, but don't recall seeing or hearing much about it since then . . .
Old 08-22-16, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
For those so inclined, Kino just tweeted they'll be releasing Ridley Scott's 1492: CONQUEST OF PARADISE on Blu-Ray and DVD. I assume there's some kind of involved ownership history behind this one? I remember Paramount releasing it to theatres, but don't recall seeing or hearing much about it since then . . .
Interesting because I think you're right, the ownership rights were strange. I think Ridley Scott owns a direct piece of the movie.
Old 08-22-16, 09:16 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I really hope the 1492 release has a good set of extras. I've been waiting for this for years and resorted to buying the French and German releases (in addition to the letterbox VHS and laserdisc). Still holding out hope the teaser with the Enigma music will finally see the light of day.

Last edited by E Unit; 08-22-16 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-23-16, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

I have that trailer on 35mm- it was traditionally at the start of my "random crap reel" I kept adding and subtracting other trailers from- since it's hard-matted it made sure I got the framing right.
Old 08-23-16, 06:27 AM
Banned by request

Ha! So do I! It's one of my favorite "banned" teasers I kept, along with the Jurassic Park teaser and that 20 minute reel of The Program where those kids were laying on the road in the middle of traffic. I think I gathered 10 reels of teasers over the 12 years I worked in theaters and festivals.
Old 08-23-16, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Paramount still has the rights. Kino Lorber struck a licensing deal, and this title is the first of many. Can't speak to why we haven't seen much of it between then and now, though.
Old 08-23-16, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,005 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Paramount still has the rights. Kino Lorber struck a licensing deal, and this title is the first of many. Can't speak to why we haven't seen much of it between then and now, though.
Over at the BD forum, there are several hints of a lot of golden age 3D coming due to this licensing deal! Very sweet!
Old 08-23-16, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Over at the BD forum, there are several hints of a lot of golden age 3D coming due to this licensing deal! Very sweet!
Any hints? I skimmed the last four or five pages of what I thought was the relevant thread there (maybe not?) and all I saw was constant and repetitive begging for titles their "insider" already told them weren't part of the deal because they were previously released, tied up with WB, could've been Googled, etc. What a slog . . .
Old 08-23-16, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

How was that 1492 trailer "banned"? My theater played it a lot, but never actually got the movie. We already stopped showing "The Program" before they replaced the reel with the freeway scene, but there's a few seconds of that in the trailer. I have nearly every trailer from 1991 til 2001, and a few random defective reels (fading to black or color shifting.) One of the last trailers I got was the Spider-Man World Trade Center teaser, oddly I'd put in my 2 weeks' notice to essentially leave the theater business on September 8th that year.
Old 08-23-16, 11:55 AM
Banned by request

Paramount sent a cease and desist letter to all of the theaters asking for it to be removed and destroyed ASAP. I kept it because I thought it was funny. I guess it got resolved or whatever because the trailer I posted from YouTube was posted by Paramount.

I forgot about that teaser for Spider-Man, but I do still have the poster for it.
Old 08-23-16, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,005 Likes on 612 Posts

Any hints? I skimmed the last four or five pages of what I thought was the relevant thread there (maybe not?) and all I saw was constant and repetitive begging for titles their "insider" already told them weren't part of the deal because they were previously released, tied up with WB, could've been Googled, etc. What a slog . . .
Check this thread:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=281589
Old 08-23-16, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

The whole thing started with the 3D Film Archive on Facebook.

The strongest speculation seems to be:

Golden Age 3D, so no Friday the 13th Part III. Hondo isn't owned by Paramount, so that's not in the running either. The Popeye cartoon mentioned above has been shot down.

Edit: or what Spiderbite posted.
Old 08-31-16, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Kino Lorber is launching a new imprint: Kino Lorber Repertory. The idea is that they're going to release somewhere around a movie a month in theaters, and then those films (a mix of cult and classics) will make their way to VOD and Blu-ray.

1981's The Pit is first to bat, hitting theaters next month and arriving on Blu-ray in October. Following that are The Wanderers, seven Lina Wertmuller films, Godard's La Chinoise and Le Gai Savoir, new restorations of yet-to-be-announced Buster Keaton films, Andrey Zvyagintsev's The Return and The Banishment, and Josef von Sternberg's Anatahan.

(source: blu-ray.com)
Old 09-01-16, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

More Amicus! No release date yet, but Kino Lorber just announced The Skull is coming soon.
Old 09-01-16, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

The Skull is already out. Double featured with Man Who Could Cheat Death.
Old 09-02-16, 11:52 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
More Amicus! No release date yet, but Kino Lorber just announced The Skull is coming soon.
Originally Posted by rw2516
The Skull is already out. Double featured with Man Who Could Cheat Death.

Oh, that's welcome news. That means Kino/Lorber has acquired the Paramount titles previously released as double features by Legend Films. Hopefully each film in those Double Features will see individual releases. I was about to order "The Man Who Could Cheat Death" and The Skull." Hopefully, these will be of superior quality because the Legend disc was far less desirable than the Eureka version. Legend also released a Tony Curtis double feature of "Those Daring Young Men in Their Jaunty Jalopies" and "Houdini." Evidently "Houdini" will also be released soon. This is really good news.

I just wanna hear that the best title in the Amicus library (in my humble opinion), "Asylum" is released in short order.

Last edited by AaronSch; 09-02-16 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-05-16, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Labor Day sale from the Kino Lorber web site. Ends after today

Old 09-14-16, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A tweet from Kino today announced that the upcoming Blu-Ray of FATHOM has been "cancelled indefinitely." No details, sadly . . .
Old 09-20-16, 08:04 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

Anyone get Grandview U.S.A.? This seems like a perfect 80's movie that I like. Great cast. The price tag @ $20 is a little steep though with no extras. Does it have replay value?
Old 09-21-16, 07:32 AM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Anyone get Grandview U.S.A.? This seems like a perfect 80's movie that I like. Great cast. The price tag @ $20 is a little steep though with no extras. Does it have replay value?
I love 80s teen movies. The cast is good. But the movie is lame as hell. I bought the DVD a while back, watched it once, and sold it immediately after. Definitely do not pay full price for this. Wait for a sale if you need to see/own it.
Old 11-22-16, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk God

The original New Retreat, No Surrender coming to BD 2/21/17

Blu-ray features include:

85-Minute U.S. Cut
94-Minute International Cut
Interview with Star Kurt McKinney
Audio Commentary by Screenwriter Keith W. Strandberg
Reverse Blu-ray Art
Original Theatrical Trailers
Optional English SDH subtitles

I remember this movie very well. It was basically a kickboxing ripoff of Rocky IV. But, it did have a very young Van Damme in it.
Old 12-02-16, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Never thought I would see this coming to BD. I still remember seeing the old New World Home Video VHS on the shelves.

Blu-ray Features:

Newly Remastered
Commentary by Film Historians Nathaniel Thompson and Tim Greer
Reversible Blu-ray Art
Trailers
Optional English SDH subtitles

Coming 2/21/17
Old 12-05-16, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kino announced they would release Seven Beauties at the end of this year, but there doesn't appear to be an announcement. Does anyone know what happened to it?
Old 12-20-16, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nice extras on the ONE MILLION YEARS B.C. disc (including some recycled from the U.K. DVDs, I presume?):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MTZ7SVT/

The 100-minute international cut and the 91-minute U.S. cut are both included on this Blu-ray.

Special Features: 4K Restoration of the "91-minute U.S. Cut" | Audio Commentary by Film Historian Tim Lucas | In the Valley of the Dinosaurs: Interview with Star Raquel Welch | An Interview with SFX Legend Ray Harryhausen | Interview with Actress Martine Beswick | Animated Montage of Posters and Images | Trailers

FRAMED gets a commentary by Howard S. Berger and Nathaniel Thompson, plus trailers:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MSXQ25I/

DELUGE includes a whole extra film (BACK PAGE with Deluge star Peggy Shannon) plus a commentary by Richard Harland Smith and trailers:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MRW00P5/

NO HIGHWAY IN THE SKY has commentary by Jeremy Arnold, plus trailers (nice to see this rescued from MOD oblivion)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MSXR9P2/

23 PACES TO BAKER STREET gets commentary by Kent Jones and trailers.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MSXPOTT/

APE 3D has commentary by Chris Alexander and trailers. Kinda wished there was more on this one, but anything's better than nothing:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MSXQ9C4/
Old 12-20-16, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
Kino announced they would release Seven Beauties at the end of this year, but there doesn't appear to be an announcement. Does anyone know what happened to it?
They are supposedly doing a 2K restoration and are also working on Swept Away. Probably taking longer than they expected. Looking forward to those.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.