Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only Kino Lorber Blu-ray Thread

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The One and Only Kino Lorber Blu-ray Thread

Old 03-01-21, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts
re: The One and Only Kino Lorber Blu-ray Thread

Originally Posted by DJariya
Mad Max was released on 4K by Kino Lorber.
Sorry, my comment was unclear. I mistakenly posted in this thread.
Old 03-02-21, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
For Get Crazy, Kino Lorber said in late January that there were no updates to share. For Times Square, they said last summer that it should be out in 2021, as they were still working on the master.
That Get Crazy non-update is concerning, but I guess it's good that they didn't say it was canceled at least.
Old 03-14-21, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 395 Likes on 264 Posts

The new Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia disc advertised as being the more recent Arrow remaster is actually the older Twilight Time remaster. Kino fucked up and got called on it and are digging in their heels and insisting its the Arrow master. That other messageboard is pretty funny right now. Major meltdown mode.
Old 03-14-21, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

That Bring Me The Head....fiasco is reminding me of the TGTBTU disaster release 2 years ago and their 4k disc with "fixes" to their original release is happening soon.

I'm apprehensive now. Poor show on Kino's part.
Old 03-14-21, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I always wait and see with Kino now. The only time I'll get rid of a disc as soon as something is announced is if its a 3 dollar dvd like Pump Up the Volume or Career Opportunites. Kino can be sketchy as fuck.
Old 03-14-21, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 924 Likes on 652 Posts

The "supposed to be burned in" Spanish subtitles are also missing from Alfredo Garcia. Apparently they are now looking into it. I still wouldn't hold my breath.
Old 03-15-21, 02:17 PM

Received 4,451 Likes on 3,019 Posts

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (Slipcase Edition) Replacement Program (USA/Canada).

https://www.kinolorber.com/Alfredo_G...cement-usa-can

We had received the wrong master from the UK label, the new discs will include the 2017 4K restoration. The o-card and reversible are limited and the reprints will not include them. We are printing enough discs to cover this error, so no returns are needed. The reprints without the o-card and reversible will include the fixed disc.
Old 03-15-21, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 771 Likes on 646 Posts

Kino has been pumping out a lot of discs the past few years. Their quality control has gone a bit down the drain.
Old 03-15-21, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They blamed Arrow lol. Classic.
Old 03-16-21, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Kino has been pumping out a lot of discs the past few years. Their quality control has gone a bit down the drain.
I'm not sure Kino has ever had good quality control.
Old 03-16-21, 08:40 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 868 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (Slipcase Edition) Replacement Program (USA/Canada).

https://www.kinolorber.com/Alfredo_G...cement-usa-can

We had received the wrong master from the UK label, the new discs will include the 2017 4K restoration. The o-card and reversible are limited and the reprints will not include them. We are printing enough discs to cover this error, so no returns are needed. The reprints without the o-card and reversible will include the fixed disc.
so glad i got the LE from UK with that fucking 10 hour doc or whatever on Peck. i'll never watch it all, but some will be cool...
Old 04-01-21, 10:01 PM

Does anyone know the difference between KL For a Few Dollars More and the older MGM disc? Is it just new transfer bc extras seem same. Thanks.
Old 04-02-21, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Does anyone know the difference between KL For a Few Dollars More and the older MGM disc? Is it just new transfer bc extras seem same. Thanks.
New transfer and way more extras.
Old 04-02-21, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rocket1312
New transfer and way more extras.
Technically better transfer , but it has that piss yellow grading the 2014 restorations had. I skipped it because of it.
Old 04-02-21, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
Technically better transfer , but it has that piss yellow grading the 2014 restorations had. I skipped it because of it.
For a few dollars more doesn't have the piss yellow. That's Fistful and GBU your thinking of.
Old 04-21-21, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1st review of the new TGTBATU 4k/Blu release of the US theatrical cut.

​​​https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/91...ahdbluray.html

It looks like Kino really took everyone's criticism of the 2017 blu ray to heart. I can't wait to see this in motion when I get it in my hands and thanks to everyone that voted for the Theatrical cut which IMO is the best version.
The following users liked this post:
Adam Tyner (04-21-21)
Old 04-21-21, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Blu-ray.com being down right when reviews for this start coming out might be the blessing of all blessings. One might even think it was intentional.
Josh Z (04-21-21)
Old 04-22-21, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone seen Kino's Hollywoodland transfer?
Old 04-22-21, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Anyone seen Kino's Hollywoodland transfer?
Yes. I donít have the HD DVD anymore to do a direct comparison, but it was finished as a DI, so it probably looks very similar. Definitely donít expect miracles.

https://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/74472/hollywoodland/
PhantomStranger (04-24-21)
Old 04-30-21, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just got my copy of the 4k TGTBTU in the mail.

Heads up to anyone who got it to check their discs. There seems to be some sort of powder on the disc hubs that caused smudges on the discs. It will come right off with a lint free cloth.

The blu ray disc itself......wow. Kino went above and beyond fixing the color grading on the yellow piss 4k transfer. Beautiful film grain too! The mono track sourced from the laser disc sounds amazing. I never thought I would be so jazzed up about a mono track over 5.1.

I haven't watched the 4k disc since I don't have a player yet, but it's got to be even better since I love the blu ray disc already.

And it's the theatrical cut to boot!!

Highly recommend it.

​​​​​​
The following 2 users liked this post by Ringmaster:
PhantomStranger (05-02-21), Spiderbite (04-30-21)
Old 05-04-21, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

GBU gets a hearty recommendation from me as well. The color timing is a little contrasty. I don't know if that's a result of using an IB Tech print for color reference, or if it was just the best that could be done with Ritrovata's piss stained transfer, but either way it's a small complaint. Everything else is nearly perfect. HDR would have been cool, but it's not really missed. I'd love a proper restoration of the Italian version, but if this is the final word on GBU on home video (and it's almost certainly the last we'll see of the American cut unless someone like Arrow gets involved), I'll sleep well.

Hopefully Kino can work their voodoo on the other two for UHD.
Adam Tyner (05-04-21)
Old 05-04-21, 08:52 PM

The US edition seems really good...

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Bring...290294/#Review

Though I have UK and haven’t seen it seems good. 5 stars in story and I love every Peckinpah I’ve seen. Even Convoy with Kris Kristofferson. But Straw Dogs, Wild Bunch, Getaway...

Last edited by OldBoy; 05-04-21 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-21-21, 03:43 PM

Received 4,451 Likes on 3,019 Posts

Kino Lorber has acquired Artsploitation Films, the champion of international genre and cutting-edge specialty films such as Kim Yong-hoon’s South Korean crime thriller Beast Clawing At Straws and Sacha Polak’s Berlinale FIPRESCI winner Hemel.

Ray Murray, the TLA Entertainment Group founder who launched the company in 2014, and other members of his team will remain involved to help grow the business as a division and brand of Kino Lorber.

Going forward Kino Lorber will acquire through its Artsploitation division all rights to six to eight theatrical titles a year and release as Artsploitation, A Kino Lorber Company.

The label will also serve multiple direct to digital and home entertainment releases. Kino Lorber will take over exclusive distribution of all previous Artsploitation titles – the latter assembled a library of 100 films – for all digital media, home video, educational and repertory theatrical markets.

Previously Kino Lorber handled ancillary media distribution for Artsploitation as a third party label, as it continues to do for the likes of Zeitgeist Films, Cohen Media Group, Greenwich Entertainment, Palisades Tartan, Virgil Films, Menemsha, and Raro Video.

The Artsploitation library includes SebastiŠn MuŮoz’s Queer Lion award winning prison drama The Prince, Maja Milo’s controversial Serbian drama Clip, and Craig Anderson’s festive slasher Red Christmas.

Upcoming new releases will be led by Stelios Kammitsis’ story of self-discovery The Man With The Answers, Gem Deger’s Playdurizm, and Sam Quah’s Sheep Without A Shepherd, starring Joan Chen.

“Artsploitation Films was formed in 2014 with the goal of presenting to North American audiences cutting edge international genre films with the vision and artistry of the best arthouse festival fare,” said Murray.

“For me, it has been exciting to grow our business and now I can think of no better company to take Artsploitation to the next level than Kino Lorber. I am certain that Richard and his strong team, veterans of the specialty film market, will expand the growth prospects while ever more boldly embracing the label’s daring programming focus. I am especially happy to begin working with the Kino Lorber team scouting for new film acquisitions.’

Kino Lorber CEO and president Richard Lorber said, “We’ve admired and even envied the unique niche Ray has carved for his cannily named Artsploitation. There’s nothing dicier than scoring genre-bending gems that earn art house kudos while jolting with pure cinema thrills, as the best of his films do.

“Ray had the vision and nose to root out genre-art hybrids that for others fell through the cracks but for him bridged a divide. Now we’ve got him, his films and films to come in our corner. We’re thrilled to fire up Artsploitation as an ever more searing brand.”
https://www.screendaily.com/news/kin...V7kizG_52-BdzA
Old 05-21-21, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Beasts Clawing At Straws is a great thriller. I hope Kino Lorber lets Artsploitation do their own thing. Artsploitation has been great finding international gems that I don't think would have been discovered in English-speaking markets otherwise.
Old 05-23-21, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,476 Likes on 2,499 Posts

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.